Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:28:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 200
Total: 200

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Is Breast Discharge loaded with HIV ????  (Read 18039 times)

Offline concerdenSoul

Is Breast Discharge loaded with HIV ????
« on: April 09, 2007, 02:29:22 am »
Hello everyone!

I hope that someone can answer this question.

It is known that breast milk can transmit HIV, but what about other breast discharges? Sometimes women´s breasts may discharge fluids without being pregnant. Would this have HIV virus?

I am scared. I recently had PROTECTED sex with a new girl friend. I sucked her nipple and something came out. It wasn´t much, but enough to taste it in my mouth. Even if this breast discharge had HIV, would that be enough to transmit the virus to me, considering that it dissolved in my saliva in my mouth?

I will appreciate any help on this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Report Bad Post      Edit/Delete Message

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Is Breast Discharge loaded with HIV ????
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 07:36:00 am »
Your fears are unfounded. Even IF the woman you were with was HIV+, sucking her nipple would not be a risk for HIV transmission. Please read the Transmission lesson on this site which gives you all the basics. There's a link to it in the Welcome thread which opens this section.

You're worrying needlessly. But you do need to become better informed about the real risks.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline concerdenSoul

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 12:27:58 pm »
Thanks for the reply Andy.

I have been reading a lot. And never found anything regarding breast discharge. Only for breast milk, which you know has HIV virus and can be transmitted to the baby that way. If the virus is in breast milk, I have reason to think that it also could be in the fluid/discharge that came out of the breast directly into my mouth.
Does anyone know if I am at risk.. I am a little scared.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 12:30:12 pm »
You are NOT at risk.  Even if the woman was HIV+ there is no way you became infected through what you've described.  The saliva in your mouth has at least 12 known enzymes that break down the HIV Virus.  You have no worries of being infected through a nipple.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 12:50:18 pm »
Thanks for the reply Andy.

I have been reading a lot. And never found anything regarding breast discharge. Only for breast milk, which you know has HIV virus and can be transmitted to the baby that way. If the virus is in breast milk, I have reason to think that it also could be in the fluid/discharge that came out of the breast directly into my mouth.
Does anyone know if I am at risk.. I am a little scared.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, this is sort of what happens when the media delivers the news in bytes instead of with comprehension.

Breast milk DOES contain HIV. But not in significant quantities. During the first months of a baby's life, his/her immune system is undeveloped/underdeveloped. S/he is extremely susceptible to HIv during this time. Daily suckling of copious amonts of HIv infected milk can - and does - lead to transmission.

However, that risk is a calculated one - and nowhere NEAR as risky as, say, unprotected receptive vaginal or anal sex. Because of that, mothers in third world countries are often encouraged to breastfeed their children even if they are HIV positive, as the risks associated with that activity are not nearly as high as the risks of deadlier diseases and conditions spread through contaminated water (often used to mix formula). Diarrhea remains the major killer of children under three years of age.

To date, there have been zero reported instances of an adult becoming infected through breast milk. This is likely due to the two factors I mentioned earlier, that of an intact immune system and the need to swallow a steady, copious diet of the stuff to exclusion.

Hope this helped. You were not at risk for HIV in the incident you decribe.

HIV really IS hard to get for a heterosexual male, scientifically speaking. Well, it's not a particularly virulent virus to get period, as far as STDS are concerned.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline concerdenSoul

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 01:55:20 pm »
Thanks so much JKinatl2!!!!!

That was a very informative answer and you give me peace of mind!!

I have 2 questions though.
1) If breast milk does not have such high levels of HIV virus, then why is it part of the list among with blood as a via of transmission?

2) If having oral sex is still a risk because one could have cuts in the mouth and the virus can enter that way, then having contaminated breast discharge with a minimal amount of HIV in my mouth, theoretically, could be a low risk, just as oral sex could be.  Am i right??

Thanks you all !!!!  I never expected to find this kind of support in a forum. I am happily surprised!!

« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 02:05:56 pm by concerdenSoul »

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 02:27:55 pm »
Thanks so much JKinatl2!!!!!

That was a very informative answer and you give me peace of mind!!

I have 2 questions though.
1) If breast milk does not have such high levels of HIV virus, then why is it part of the list among with blood as a via of transmission?

2) If having oral sex is still a risk because one could have cuts in the mouth and the virus can enter that way, then having contaminated breast discharge with a minimal amount of HIV in my mouth, theoretically, could be a low risk, just as oral sex could be.  Am i right??

Thanks you all !!!!  I never expected to find this kind of support in a forum. I am happily surprised!!

To your questions:

1) breast milk has been documented to transmit HIV from mother to infant. As one of the documented routes of transmission, it makes the list.

2) performing fellatio appears to be a vanishingly small risk, as several long term studies of serodiscordant couples have been unable to duplicate oral infection. The mechanisms by which HIV could theoretically enter the bloodstream or contact specific dendritic cells have been the subject of much speculation. All tests, from lab work to simian and primate research, indicates that this is an extremely rare transmission vector, if it happens.

Oral sex as a viable HIV transmission route still relies on patient report after the fact, which is one of the most notoriously unreliable forms of data gathering.

Theoretically? Low risk, sure. But parsing theory always makes me uncomfortable, because until there is solid and sound basis in quantifiable research, it's simply navel-gazing. Stuff like that, in my personal opinion, does little to deliver information and seems more designed to elicit fear.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline concerdenSoul

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 09:57:51 pm »
Thanks again jkinatl2!!

If you were me... would you go get tested? If yes, what test would you recommend?

:)

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 10:02:06 pm »
I would not get tested nor would I recommend same.

Welcome Thread

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.