Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 05:34:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773532
  • Total Topics: 66382
  • Online Today: 292
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 183
Total: 184

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Feeling a bit down & depressed...  (Read 7134 times)

Offline Loa111

Feeling a bit down & depressed...
« on: January 09, 2023, 03:45:08 pm »
What do you do when you experience a few days feeling a bit down & depressed?

I'm really just venting anonymously here as I've no one else to vent to right now and need to get it off my chest please....

The last week or so has been quite hard & difficult for me, nothing major happened but lot's of niggly, annoying & stressful things happened. Last week a burst water pipe & expense of a plumber (wasn't in the budget lets say!), my very elderly parents sick & unwell (always anxious & worried too for when their times comes to pass away) & them nagging, shouting, complaining at me almost like a tag relay team 2 or 3 times a day for days, my spouse acting up & being very difficult & not nice, I've worries with one of my kids who is acting up, & a few work/job/business things not going so good which is worrying & stressful as I work for myself & need to earn & bit of financial pressure starting.

It all came together the last several days, non-stop, one after the other or even at the same time, day after day. I feel like I have been getting it in the back of the neck from all directions.

I'm sure things will settle down, and I'm sure something good will happen with work to get me through. I know things go in cycles, but sometimes it is just hard to see that, and that is how I feel right now....like everything is falling apart around me & that's causing me to be depressed & down this evening, like an emotional hang over almost!

I did workout & exercise a little there but that didn't seem to help much. Not sure what to do?

Offline numbersguy82

• Adrian Alan
    • Instagram
Re: Feeling a bit down & depressed...
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2023, 04:42:26 pm »
Greetings friend. I'd say that your reaching out for support is a wonderful first step to mitigating your recent surge in stress levels. My advice would of course be to stay the course and hang in there, but perhaps instead I wonder if you have done something nice for yourself? Make a favorite meal or indulged in a guilty pleasure? I know for me, I only need to buy some Haagen-Daaz strawberry ice cream and read back through one of my favorite books... something I know by heart like Murder on the Orient Express, Something like Summer, or Collision Course (KA Mitchell)

I find the familiarity comforting and tends to ease my worries... at least temporarily. Sending virtual hugs and hoping this stressful period passes quickly.
Strive for “One Day When” by collecting “One Day Wins”

Offline Loa111

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2023, 04:41:00 am »
Thank you very much for your reply & your kind words, I'm most grateful  :)

Yes indeed, it really help just venting it on this forum.

Indeed, I did do something nice after I posted yesterday evening. I figured I can either sit at home, meaninglessly surf the web & probably feel not much better or do something more proactive, so I went for a swim at the gym & a float in the pool. There is something about being in the water that really helps ones state.

I do feel a bit better now, or at least I've the clarity that tough times no not last forever & I feel more positive to get on with the tasks of my work to help my situation there.

I'll go for a brisk 30 minute walk at lunch time today too, & the physical movement will help the mental state.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2023, 10:38:14 am »
Glad to hear that you are feeling a bit better.

Sorry to hear about the bust water pipe and the challenges with the family. It's important to take care of yourself and that includes time for yourself, the walks on the lunch break are a good start but prehaps consider making more time free for yourself on a regular basis to do things you like to do or helps you to recharge.

For me it's working on my photography, even if some weeks it's just few hours in the studio or if it's outdoors shooting it's something that is for me and keeps me sane and grounded to deal with life.
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2023, 10:40:40 am »
Any chance you could talk to your spouse about how their behavior is impacting you? Maybe they don't realize just how much it's affecting/hurting you.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Loa111

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2023, 06:16:03 am »
Any chance you could talk to your spouse about how their behavior is impacting you? Maybe they don't realize just how much it's affecting/hurting you.

That unfortunately would be like talking to the wall, she is one of those people if you bring up an issues it is always bounced back onto me as being all my own fault or me being the one that is always wrong.

Thank you for your reply Jim. I feel a bit better this week, am keeping up the walks, the gym visits, and things seemed to have stabilised (touch wood!) on the major stressers.

I'm away down the country tomorrow and the next day for work which gives me a solo overnight in a B+B, and dinner expenses coverd, so I get a walk about galway fri afternoon/evening, a coffee or two, visit a restaurant myself along with a good book, another walk & a quiet night, so I am really looking forward to getting away. Even the journey down & back on my own I find relaxing.  :) Badly needed!

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2023, 07:20:29 am »
Glad to hear you are feeling better this week.

I'm away down the country tomorrow and the next day for work which gives me a solo overnight in a B+B, and dinner expenses coverd, so I get a walk about galway fri afternoon/evening, a coffee or two, visit a restaurant myself along with a good book, another walk & a quiet night, so I am really looking forward to getting away. Even the journey down & back on my own I find relaxing.  :) Badly needed!

Sounds nice and Galway can be a lot of fun. I hope you do get to relax and have some dry weather for the walks.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2023, 03:13:03 pm »
How was the trip to Galway?
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Loa111

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2023, 04:38:27 am »
Fantastic evening down there, a couple of coffees around town, a nice walk around taking everything in (between rain fall) , and went for a really hot curry which was fantastic. Only thing it rained all evening but sure that comes with the turf down the West lol. Stayed in my regular B n B, lovely fry for an early breakfast, off to work for the day, and then bus back to Dub. I do enjoy the travelling & looking out the window be it train or bus.

Anyway, my blue mood of the other week has faded & I feel much better now, thank you  :)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.