Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:42:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 366
Total: 368

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV and international travel...  (Read 10489 times)

Offline idee

• Hi...
HIV and international travel...
« on: March 19, 2012, 06:13:55 pm »
I want to visit family in Norway and I was told that they are very strict about people with HIV. That maybe even the US won't let me back into the country.
 I am healthy enough and very lucky to have a supportive home life. I don't have to tell them I am postive but my Mom has freaked me out with her gossip of people not being allowed home once they leave the country or being denied entrance into another country.
 I don't plan on telling people I am postive but I am married so I don't plan on dating either. I will also be traveling with my hubby and daughter, (she is HIV negative).
 Does anyone on here travel and how do I handle going to another country with my meds? Do they check your belongings and ask what your meds are for?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 06:16:02 pm by idee »

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: HIV and international travel...
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 06:24:27 pm »
I want to visit family in Norway and I was told that they are very strict about people with HIV. That maybe even the US won't let me back into the country.

And where did you hear this because it's complete BS.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline zach

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 06:27:15 pm »
http://www.hivrestrictions.org/

norway is one of the good guys

Offline idee

• Hi...
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 06:30:15 pm »
from my Mom and some cousins whoI recently stopped talking too.
I have never left this continent and my mom has so I kind of believed her.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 06:37:43 pm »
Tell her she's an idiot.

Offline zach

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 06:45:43 pm »
even mom's err  ::)

don't tell you're mom she's an idiot, maybe the cousins

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 06:51:43 pm »
Please. She just made it up out of thin air. I've had HIV for 20 years and travelled to almost every European country, and not with a simple bottle of Atripla either but like 20 pills per day for a 10 day trip, all in original bottles. Nobody has ever blinked an eye, and yes I've had my carry on luggage inspected. And I've also been to Norway with HIV, and every other Scandinavian country. They're so liberal they probably give me three gold stars on my passport for having AIDS.

Frankly it's abominable that someone's mother would not only say such a thing but do so without even researching the issue. So yes, I would tell her she's an idiot. I'd probably tell her several times over the course of an entire year.

Offline idee

• Hi...
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 10:39:17 pm »
I probably won't call my mom an idiot but I just recently quit talking to her. She would tell me how she cared for me but tell family members to not get to close because she has lived a long life she can.
I am not saying it was all bad, I am saying she made it hard on me. My youngest sister is so scared she has clorox wipes for whatever I touch in my mom's home. They don't like for me to wash dishes by hand either.
It just means that I don't have to clean a thing if I choose to visit there. But in reality I only visit my mom for the chance to travel and get away from hubby for a few days.
I am planning a trip to Norway in hopefully five years. I just started my lessons tonight and so far it's going good.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 11:49:26 pm »
Hi Idee,

While I appreciate people being phobic, this is your family and hopefully the future holds many years of visits. Somehow, you have to teach them how fragile the virus is and that they are not risking getting HIV if you touch anything.

Em
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 09:25:27 pm by emeraldize »

Offline idee

• Hi...
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 02:58:43 pm »
I would try and teach them but it is too hard to change someone's mind. So I just as soon not talk to them, although there are other reasons I don't talk to them as well.
 But I am liking my life today because I do not talk to them, I don't see things from a scared negative person's point of view. I see things as possible and no longer an impossible goal.
 Besides I am  learning a new language and all I would hear about is a comparison to another person my mom may have known or knows someone who knows them.
 When my mom talks she makes you hate the world. So education is impossible when your mom tells you the school is racist for not teaching only white children or that you think you're better than her because you're persuing your goals.
 I just like being away from her, and I wish I would not hate everything she says but I can't.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 09:29:02 pm »
Wow, sorry you've got that to deal with within your family. So, big lesson learned here, whether it's about HIV and travel, how to invest your money or get rid of bed bugs, your mom is NOT the go-to person, right?  She doesn't care about accurate info coming in to her life nor going out to her children.

On to an observation and a much more pleasant light topic.

I just figured out your forum name, I think.   ID for Infectious Diseases. Yes?
Pronounced  Idee.   If not, you don't have to reveal it if it is a secret.

Em

Offline idee

• Hi...
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 04:03:39 pm »
No, my name is Ida, someone nicnamed me idee.
My mom called me ida as in idaho and my dad called me ida - pronouncing it like eda.
So either pronounciation is correct for me.
I just talked to my Mom recently and well she helped me in the begining she also warned people that I could infect them. People who are related to me. My sisters always reminded me I wqas positive because it bothered me.
The other day my mom called and told me that she is proud of me. She apologized and said that she listens to me it is just hard for her to hear one of her children isn't doing ok.
I am doing fine, it is just when I complain about my hubby she thought I wanted to leave him. And all I said was he forgot to clean up after he shaved and how if there is a mess I feel everyone expects me to clean it. My 14 year old daughter doesn't clean much so when she does I reward her.
Just stupid things that don't matter when it comes to staying with my hubby. I just need an outlet sometimes to not hurt my family's feelings.
But my mom talks in the same way about my sisters who still live with her. She wants to marry them off.
I guess after writing this my family isn't really bad, they just think I need to be a sick person because I have this disease.
One time this negative guy was intereseted in me. He looked like a young sammy hagar, and was so well hung. He taught me lots of fun things, like he shaved and he shook himself around. We had fun!
My younger sister had a crush on him and told him that I did not take care of my daughter. He did not want to see me after that, family is very important to him.
My sister felt her right to break us up is justified by him not being positive.
I still think of him from time to time and he won't be someone I think I 'll ever get over. Yet I feel like if I leave my hubby I will hurt him, he'll get sick and he might be sad. Heck when I left him for two weeks in 2008, and stayed with my Mom, all I did was hate everything. I took my duaghter out to eat and all I could do was hate the fact they had corn on the cob. My hubby loves corn. I was miserable without him!

Offline mikejh

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 05:03:10 pm »
Hi, you can travel without worries, I have been traveling around the world the last 10 years with 20 different medications in my hand luggage, incl atripla, mepron(liquid) morphine and Oxycontin. Last time I travelled with a 3 month supply and had no problems. Just keep the Meds in their original container.
Good luck with your trip.
CD4   %
22 Sep 06   37     5  Started Atripla
5   Oct 06   82     9
1   Dec 06  258   13
25 Jan  07  263   14
1   May 07  403   18
6   Aug 07  438   22
7   Nov 07  417   19
30 jan   08  310   19
7   May  08  285   20
6   Aug  08  472   27
12  Nov 08  444   26
11  Feb  09 335    19
10  May  09  460  25
Jan 10 575 u/d
Feb 11 590 u/d
June 12 625 u/d
2013 646  u/d
2014 580 u/d
2015 590 u/d
2016 635 u/d
2017 620 u/d change to Genuvia
Jan 2018 580 u/d changed Triumeq
Feb 2019 620 u/d
March 2019 change

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 09:55:55 pm »
No, my name is Ida, someone nicnamed me idee.
My mom called me ida as in idaho and my dad called me ida - pronouncing it like eda.
So either pronounciation is correct for me.

Hi Idee -- That's a MUCH better story behind your name. I have an apology to make to you and others in this forum as I am not an LTS and with the new site format, I don't think I saw the title and posted because of HIV and travel. I'm not permitted to be here. Em
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 04:41:24 pm by emeraldize »

Offline hudstar

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2012, 08:37:04 pm »
Norway and other European union countries are fine with HIV. America was the last remaining barrier for travel and only recently lifted its very backward and offensive law on refusing entry for HIV poz people. That law was only ever for non-americans so even if that law was still in place you would not be refused entry back into your own country. You can do an internet search on countries in relation to HIV laws but the only way they would know is if you stated so on an entry visa application or you had meds they found and looked them up. I have travelled many places with my meds and countries that do not allow entry, just become creative in disguising your meds. The world is a great place. Hope you enjoy Norway ;D
diagnosed 1988
POZ personals - hudster

Offline bear60

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012, 01:14:28 pm »
Idee....There is also a womens forum where personal information can be discussed.  Did you know that?  Em can talk to you in that forum.
I am so sorry you have todeal with such ignorance in your family. Hang in there. Have a good trip to Norway.

Joel
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Lakis

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 05:50:10 pm »

Offline jm1953

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2012, 09:40:26 pm »
Thinking about going to Hong Kong.  I hear China is really hard to get into with HIV.  I heard about a guy declined in Shanghai because they found meds in his baggage and deported him.

Is this still the case?

Just wondered.

JM
Positive 29 years. Diagnosed 10/1987.  Current CD 4: 720: Viral load: almost 100.  Current drug regimen, Tivicay, Emtriva, Endurant, Wellbutrin, Clonazepam, Uloric, Losartan Potassium,Allegra, Ambien, Testosterone, Nandrolone, Vicodin, Benedryl, Aspirin, lots of vitamin supplements.

Offline idee

• Hi...
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2012, 11:52:04 am »
This will help :

http://www.hivtravel.org/

Thanks. I looked at the site and I am able to travel to Norway and a few other places I always wanted to go.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.