Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 07:53:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 170
Total: 171

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: ny midwife  (Read 9310 times)

Offline catwoman

ny midwife
« on: November 30, 2007, 01:24:04 pm »
Does anyone know of any nyc midwives that have experience with hiv positive pregnancies?  I've inquired with a few and they don't have any experience with that.  I've always wanted to have my baby with midwife.  I have a good OB/GYN but I really would prefer to use a midwife.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Re: ny midwife
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 07:00:54 am »
I have no idea about any of that baby stuff as I've been out of that game for a long time.  Good luck though.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 06:14:16 pm »
Hi Catwoman

By Googling midwife NYC HIV I found the following job posting for Jersey Medical Center.

Were I you, I would call Jersey Medical Center and ask them for information about any NYC midwives.

Not knowing your location in NYC, it's possible this Center could be a good resource for you.

Em

Jersey City Medical Center

JOB OVERVIEW  Click here to apply for this job!   

Certified Nurse Midwife

Education Level   College Degree
Category   Healthcare
Job Type Employee, Full Time
Job ID hec.711931
Location Jersey City, NJ
Date Posted   11/13/2007

JOB DESCRIPTION     
CNM or WHCNP needed for urban HIV clinic.
Candidate will be responsible for provision of GYN services to HIV positive women and oversight of follow-up activities.
Strong GYN background with 2 years experience preferred.
Bilingual a plus.

[gj.3834892.72]

Offline catwoman

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 08:45:44 pm »
Thank you emeraldize.  That sounds like a good idea. 

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 11:00:51 pm »
You're welcome. I'd be interested in learning how you make out.

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 10:01:44 am »
Does anyone know of any nyc midwives that have experience with hiv positive pregnancies?  I've inquired with a few and they don't have any experience with that.  I've always wanted to have my baby with midwife.  I have a good OB/GYN but I really would prefer to use a midwife.
                            I know nothing about that but wanted to wish you the best of luck.   Cristy

Offline catwoman

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 06:35:31 pm »
Well, I decided to stick with my OB.  I saw him yesterday and got my first sonogram of my little baby.  I am very comfortable with him and he respects that I am looking to keep this as natural as possible.  He works with a wonderful team that are well versed in dealing us positive pregnant women.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 07:09:29 pm »
Excellent news! Congratulations and best of health to you and thimbleful.

Offline srmn98

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 09:34:42 pm »
Hi Catwoman,

Keep us informed of how things go !!!  I'm curious to hear how things go....  I might like to have a child someday too.

Best of luck -- I'm glad you found an OB you are comfortable with. :)

Sara

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 06:45:42 pm »
I had a midwife with my first child. I was not HIV positive. I had my second child in a county hospital. I was HIV positive.
The birthing experience with the midwife was by far a more loving, nurturing, pleasurable, natural environment.  I loved it.
Hated the hospital birth. I actually had a nurse look at me real bitchy and do the chicken neck thing and tell me I needed to be more quiet. LOL my water had broken, the baby was crowning and I was in the room alone. Of course I'm going to yell.

I've never heard of a midwife taking any patient who has complications. There may be some out there but I'd be surprised if there where many if any.
In general they will not accept a mother who is HIV positive or has any medical conditions that might complicate a birth.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.