Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:20:48 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 373
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 358
Total: 358

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: I might have touched blood.  (Read 14536 times)

Offline sigrid

I might have touched blood.
« on: November 15, 2006, 11:38:06 am »
Hey,

I'm a Belgian woman and found this site recently. The last few days have been horrendous... I'll explain myself. I've been married for 9 years, and I've never had sex with anyone else but my husband. Last week we both found oud we had genital warts, which is bad enough. I've never been unfaithful, neither had he, he swore it on our children's head, so I believe him. Then we started to think about how he could have been infected. It turns out that he used someone else's towel in the swimming pool, twice he noticed that his towel had been used, and he used it as well. Today he told me that he used a woman's tampon!! to wipe his... after he had been to the toilet (he had diarrea and there was no toilet paper). I know this sounds extremely dirty, but he used the clean part!!!. This happened during his trip to paris. So her blood could have been in contact with his genital area. I have been crying all evening, I am always so careful and then he behaves so unhygienically. Could he have contracted the hiv virus?

Thank you,

Sigrid

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: I'm so scared!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 12:29:01 pm »
sigrid,

There is no way your husband could have become infected with hiv through this tampon incident. (and I can't see warts being transmitted this way either) Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus that is primarily transmitted INSIDE the human body, as in unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse. Please read through the Welcome Thread and follow the Transmission Lesson link found there.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline sigrid

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 12:36:32 pm »
Thank you very much for your quick answer! I want him to get tested anyway, I know I won't be able to function before i see it black on white, but I can breath again. This is a great site, and I'm sure a comfort and support to many people. I wish the best to everyone!

Greetings from Belgium!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 12:41:46 pm »
sigrid,

It might not be a bad idea for you BOTH to have complete sexual health care check ups, considering that you've recently discovered genital warts. It would be best to get an all-clear on EVERYTHING for BOTH of you.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline sigrid

am i overreacting?
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 05:00:46 am »
Hello,

Sorry to bother you but since a few weeks I'm totally flipping out so here's my situation (sorry for my poor English).

My 5-year-old girl had an accident at school. She bumped into a boy while they were running, and there was severe bleeding on both sides. Her gums were bleeding heavily and two teeth died. The (African) boy she had a collision with blead as well, he hurt his front head. This happened at the 20th of May. Last week, my daughter was very ill. Lack of energy, no appetite, swollen lymph nodes and a fever. The doctor thought she might have mononucleosis but didn't test it, although there were signs in het blood that suggested this disease (this was a quick test at the emergency room). She was ill for about 4 days, now she is all better with no signs of illness.

Since then I'm not functioning any more. I look at her and think she doesn't have a future, I'm really going insane. I'm afraid to talk to a doctor because it's such a delicate subject.

Would you be so kind to give me your opinion?

Sigird

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Re: am i overreacting?
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 05:41:48 am »
Sig,

Yes, you are overreacting and NO, there is NO chance of hiv transmission occuring in this way. Besides, just because the other child is African doesn't mean he's hiv positive.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline sigrid

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 08:38:18 am »
Thank you for your answer. I have deep respect for all the people who are willing to answer our questions. I am still a bit concerned (it's probably all in my mind...), but I realize that the chances of infection are very small. Thanks once again.

Sigrid

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 08:46:35 am »
but I realize that the chances of infection are very small. Thanks once again.

I'm glad you've found the exchange useful, Sig but this is a NO risk situation not a small risk situation.

MtD

Offline sigrid

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2007, 10:34:14 am »
I know, here I am again...

I understand that there is no risk according to you. But I can't seem to get rid of the idea that the boy's blood from his forehead (which was bleeding a lot) entered my daughter's bloodstream via her lip which was cut, or through the gums above het 4 front teeth while they bumped into each other. It took her two weeks to heal.

The reason I'm so scared is she was so ill during 4 days, and the doctor couldn't find anything specific. When I read the symptoms of primary infection, I recognize at least 4 of them. After 4 days, she was miraculously better, although she had a fever of 40 ° C the previous evening.

Am I a hypochondriac? Yes, I am. But also hypochondriacs get ill...

Thank you, and sorry for bothering you.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2007, 11:14:45 am »
sig,

If you cannot bring yourself to believe us, take her to her doctor, explain your worries and ask for a test to put your mind at rest. Don't be surprised if the doctor tells you testing is unnecessary.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline sigrid

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2007, 05:31:27 am »
Thank you Ann for your answer. I' ve contacted her doctor, who is willing to have her tested because I'm so worried, but she agrees that it is quasi impossible for such a thing to happen.

I've contacted the school director who told me that according to her, the boy is in good health although parents are not obliged to disclose.

I acknowledge I have a problem, and the problem is probably not hiv, but in my mind. I haven't stopped crying for days so I think it's about time I go and see someone who can help me.

I've consumed enough of your time, it's time for me to move on and deal with my problems.

Sig

Offline sigrid

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2007, 07:32:52 am »
Hallo again,

I can imagine you thinking, there she is again, and I'm really sorry for bothering you again...

I'm having my daughter tested in two days (six-week-test) and I'm seeing a psychologist tomorrow for the first time. And it's really necessary, because I'm going crazy...

I understand that the 'collision' was too short to infect my daughter. But when I arrived at school to collect my daughter, the teacher who had taken care of the boy and my daughter came to me, and put her finger in my daughter's mouth to show me the damage. So clearly she was not being hygienic.

What if she touched the boy's head first and her fingers were covered with some drops of blood, and then opened my dauhter's mouth and touched her wounded lip and gums with the boy's blood on her finger? What is the chance of infection in that case? 90%?

When she was so ill three weeks ago, her blood was drawn and revealed that she was very low on lymphocytes. When I google, I notice this is typical for hiv+ people... which scares me even more.

I promise I won't bother you again, but I don't know what else to do until I see a doctor in two days.

A desparate mother

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2007, 07:46:43 am »
What if she touched the boy's head first and her fingers were covered with some drops of blood, and then opened my dauhter's mouth and touched her wounded lip and gums with the boy's blood on her finger? What is the chance of infection in that case? 90%?

Sig,

The chance of hiv infection in the situation you outline is 0. ZERO. NIL. NADA.

I've been hiv positive for ten years and my lymphocytes have always been in the normal range. You cannot discover a person's hiv status going by the lymphocyte results. The lymphocytes we monitor are a subgroup and don't normally have a noticeable effect on the overall lymphocyte count.

I hope for your daughter's sake you can put this behind you soon. Children pick up on things and she's going to end up thinking something is wrong with her. She could not possibly have hiv from this collision or the aftercare she received. Seriously.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline sigrid

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2007, 08:06:24 am »
Thanks Ann, for your answer. I was already thinking the immediate unhygienic aftercare was responsible for her infection... I wasn't there when it happened so I don't know what exactly happened. But the teacher must have opened my daughter's mouth to have a look at the wounds, and I'm sure she didn't wash her hand first. She first touched the boy's head and then took care of my daughter, according to my daughter.

I know my attitude is bad for my daughter. I keep interrogating her about the event, although it happened more than a month ago. She doesn't understand why I'm always speaking about this boy I never mentioned before. I also hope I can put this behind me, because I'm not good company at the moment, ask my husband! You probably don't think highly of me, but I appreciate you all the more. Being Hiv+ and answering all those hypochondriacs must be difficult at times.

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2007, 12:51:40 pm »
Sig-

Ann stated it eloquently. As a parent, you have the responsibility to not pass neuroses and phobias on to your children. You seriously need to get a grip and seek the advice of a mental health professional.

I'll also add that the teacher was responding to a medical urgency (children loosing teeth and bleeding in the playground requires immediate attention). Her actions were to be commended, anything else would have been irresponsible on her part.

Brent
(Who remembers all kinds of childhood scrapes)
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline sigrid

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2007, 03:34:23 pm »
Here I am again...

Today I finally tested my 5-year-old daughter. I bought an online selftest (from mirates, which is produced in china) and it was delivered today. Two hours ago, I did the test. I had to collect blood through a fingerprick (needle inserted in finger) and 15 minutes later I got the result: hiv negative. I was so happy, for about 5 minutes.

Then I got scared again: what if the fingerprick needle had been (deliberatly I suppose) infected with hiv??? In that case I would have infected my own daughter!!! The test came from china, is not approved but it claims to be 100% liable, and was in a sterile packing. Of course I could not check the needle first. Can my daugther be infected this way???

I know I'm insane, but please answer my question

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2007, 03:43:04 pm »
Then I got scared again: what if the fingerprick needle had been (deliberatly I suppose) infected with hiv??? In that case I would have infected my own daughter!!! The test came from china, is not approved but it claims to be 100% liable, and was in a sterile packing. Of course I could not check the needle first. Can my daugther be infected this way???

Yeah those sneaky red Chinese are just dreaming up evil ways to infect good American children.  ::)

Sigrid -- get a grip. If this was just about you I wouldn't be concerned but you're letting your totally outlandish fears about HIV affect your child and that is just not acceptable.

Make an appointment with a mental health professional without delay and get the help you so obviously need.

This is not an HIV risk, by the way.

MtD

Offline sigrid

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2007, 05:01:14 pm »
Thanks for your answer Matty. I don't even want to know what you think of me...

I think I have this problem because I have no control over this virus. It can do harm to my family, no matter how much care I take of them.

So, i know I'm really annoying you now (sorry):

let's suppose the needle was infected with hiv in the sealed package, would it be possible to infect someone, hypothetically speaking?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2007, 05:11:47 pm »
Hey! Are you overreacting? YES! is the answer.

Stop with these what ifs and impossing your anxieties on your child in this manner. Get some professional help if you can't get this under control and find out what's driving your fears.

At its best life is too short to be wasted in this manner. No kidding.
Andy Velez

Offline sigrid

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2007, 08:22:44 am »
I found out that the lancet was made in a very reputable firm in England, and that it was totally sterile. Then I remembered I rubbed my daughter's wound on the sample well in order to get enough blood on the test case. Was this an hiv risk? Does the sample well contain hiv? I know it detects antibodies, but in my mind lots of things are happening again. My kitchen was nearly on fire today because I forgot I had put something on a hot stove... my hands are burned. I know i ask stupid questions but please just answer this last one. Then just ban me from your site. As my show of appreciation I will do a donation for hiv-patients.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2007, 08:43:24 am »
sig,

Hiv does not remain intact and able to infect when it is outside the human body. It cannot be transmitted in the environment. It is transmitted INSIDE the human body - as in UNPROTECTED anal or vaginal intercourse.

I would suggest you find yourself a counselor/therapist who can help you with your hiv related anxieties. None of them have a basis in the science of hiv and you are worrying needlessly. We cannot help you with that anxiety here - you need to see someone face-to-face.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline sigrid

I might have touched blood.
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2009, 09:06:10 am »
Hello,

Today I was in the elevator when I noticed there was a lot of blood on the door I had just opened. There is a big chance I touched this blood. Now I am really worried. My hands are very dry at the moment, with a lot of cracks and scaling because of the cold wheather. I don't know how old this blood was, assume it was only  there since a few minutes and i touched this blood with my hand (it was a heavy door) what is my risk of being infected (and assume this was hiv infected blood)?

Thank you for your reply.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Re: I might have touched blood.
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2009, 09:48:55 am »
Sig,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

Re-read your thread. We've already explained to you that hiv is not transmitted from environmental objects. It just doesn't happen this way.

Yes, I understand you touched blood. Yes, I understand you have cracks in the skin on your hand. NO RISK. NONE.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline sigrid

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2009, 02:22:13 pm »
Thanks Ann for your quick answer, you are truly an angel. It is true, you have always been right before, so I'll try to believe you this time as well. I hope my ratio wins this time... I don't want to waist another 3 months of my life, my kids need me, and my husband, who was actually with me in the elevator, deserves better. I really hope I have nothing to worry about, so I can move on with my life.

Thanks

Sigrid

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2009, 05:16:19 pm »
Sigrid, I'm wondering if it might not be a good idea for you to see a therapist and talk about your recent concerns. Reading over what you have written in the past months, there is a pattern of what I consider to be excessive worrying about HIV. I'm thinking it might be helpful for you to talk with a professional and do some sorting out.

Just a thought. Like Ann of course I agree that your latest incident was another no risk event.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline sigrid

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2009, 11:31:31 am »
Sorry guys, here I am again :'(. I know I will be banned but please just answer this last question.

I went shopping today and suddenly I fainted. I fell and hurt my leg badly. I was brought to the nearest hospital, not a very good one... I had to wait in a small room. While I was waiting for the doctor, they asked me to undress myself so I was bare foot. I walked a small distance (it wasn't broken). Then I notice small splashes of blood around me. Apparently they hadn't cleaned the emergence room,  there was even blood on the plastic bag that contained sterile  pieces of cloth to clean a wound. I knew they would draw blood so i took this bag because i didn't want them to use that one on me.

So I had  to go forth and back to the bin, i even saw paper with blood on it as the bin was completely full. What if i walked on blood (the floor was dark so i can't tell wheter there was blood or anything else like vomit on it). I had walked for hours, and my feet really hurt, and I had a fresh wound (not bleeding any more) from falling. What if i walked on blood? These rooms are always in use, so the blood was fresh.

As you see, I am worried again...

Thanks (and I do admit I worry excessively about hiv).

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2009, 12:06:28 pm »
Sig,

You're right. I'm giving you a time out.

Re-read your thread and re-read your thread and RE-READ your thread until it sinks in that you will not become infected with hiv from blood or other fluids that are outside the body and on environmental surfaces such as the floor or a plastic bag.

I urge you to seek professional therapy to help you cope with your extreme hiv phobia. We cannot help you with that here.

Do not attempt to create a new account to get around your time out because if you do, you will be permanently banned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.