Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:20:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 354
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 303
Total: 303

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HAART fail when remain undetectable?  (Read 2164 times)

Offline Jackmydin

HAART fail when remain undetectable?
« on: November 24, 2018, 12:14:54 am »
Recently I have been thinking about this... Thought I could ask you guys for your opinion.

The main reason for HAART is control/reduce the virus and the main goal is to achieve undetectable. And when undetectable, 6 months of viral load test to oversee the treatment progress.

However, recently I have been wondering if its possible a person to develop drug resistance after remain undetectable. I know there are other factors for the treatment to fail, so let's assume a person who never miss a dose, living healthy lifestyle would ever fail HAART treatment even remain undetectable for years. And what could possibly contribute to that failure?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: HAART fail when remain undetectable?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 02:44:49 am »
 :)

Recently I have been thinking about this...

Why and, in what way are you thinking about this I wonder?

I ask because if its a worry/fear that you have besides curiosity, than I would say there are very few certainties in life. So I find worrying about rarities outside of our control or that in context may not apply to us, unproductive.

However, recently I have been wondering if its possible a person to develop drug resistance after remain undetectable. I know there are other factors for the treatment to fail, so let's assume a person who never miss a dose, living healthy lifestyle would ever fail HAART treatment even remain undetectable for years. And what could possibly contribute to that failure?

Your question is basically with perfect adherence can the treatment still fail after years of being effective and possibly lead to developing resistance or vise-versa? Yes, however remember that poor (sub-optimal) adherence is the main factor in cases and also (largely) within our control.

Pre-existing (missed/unchecked/low level) drug resistance to one or multiple drugs
Poor treatment adherence. (despite reporting adherence)
Underlying medical conditions/History
Underlying medical treatments (interactions)
Poor absorption
Older drugs effectiveness vs newer drugs, might be a factor in combination with the above.

We had a thread on this 2 years ago
https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=66234.msg726870#msg726870
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jackmydin

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 03:09:07 am »
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the link provided. Well it's a bit of a concern as I plan to have a closer relationship with someone and fear that I could possibly infecting my partner during the 6 months time (viral load test every 6 months). What if during the 3rd month or 4th my viral load spiked and infected my partner during intercourse..

But I do understand your point of not to worry things which are out of our control and keep strong adherence with the drug. Sometimes I just couldnt help myself thinking the worst scenarios.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 03:34:36 am »
So as I figured you are worrying about rarities that may not apply to you.

If you have good treatment adherence with modern meds and you are healthy otherwise than it is like wondering "what if" I fall down the stairs and break my neck this morning? In fact personally odds of me breaking my neck this morning are vastly greater than me developing treatment issues, as I live above a shop, strairs are crap and I have bad legs (Context).

Relax, I hope the relationship goes well and as long as the other person is aware and has made a choice that is their choice.  If they or you need additional reassurance than use condoms or they could take PrEP.

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jackmydin

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 05:00:49 am »
Yea you are right. Jim.

Thanks. Your reply sort of correct my way of thinking. I shouldn't be worried of rarities, and better start focus on living a better quality lifestyle.

Lately has been really uneasy for me as I have been discussing of such matter with my parents. About having a partner in life etc. They are still "locked" on the old ways of how hiv is a death sentence and I shouldnt be thinking of having a lifetime partner. I tried to educate them how modern meds has become and I'm no longer a walking infections but it seems like a long road to go. :( they even doubt on where I gathered such info and how genuine it is, despite I told them its already approved by cdc 6 months or long of undetectable means I'm no risk of transmission!!

*sorry for the rant.

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 11:30:54 am »
It's a shame that so many people stay ignorant to medical advances and science but it's quite common.

That the ignorance comes from parents seems even worse. Your best bet will probably to provide them with trusted links for them to research themselves, and in the meantime, try not to get drawn into their own anxieties.
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Offline harleymc

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 11:52:11 pm »
Sometimes the 'what ifs' crowd my head, the six months between testing and yada yada…

But it's not as if any of the participants in the partner 1 or 2 trials, hptn 052 or the opposites attract trials were being tested monthly.  So I calm myself with the reassurance that I'm in with the good crowd, and that I don't blip.

It's also a nice calming influence on me that my fiancée is up with the medical science and trusts my pill taking to keep him safe.

Offline Jackmydin

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 11:58:43 pm »
Absolutely. The random thoughts of "what if" is too stressing if one dwell too much on unnecessary worrying. Staying well adhered with my drug is my greatest responsibility to people around me.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.