Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:23:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 189
Total: 190

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Greetings from North Carolina  (Read 14618 times)

Offline tuggem

• Ron Hudson, same body, new face
    • 2sides2ron
Greetings from North Carolina
« on: June 16, 2006, 10:27:23 pm »
Hi folks,

After a dubious start in the forum, I would like to introduce myself.  I am a 47 year-old single gay man living in Durham, North Carolina.  I worked at Burroughs Wellcome from 1981 until 1994, in clinical computing, and helped develop AZT for the AIDS indication.  In 1985, I learned that I, too, was HIV+.  Because of my scientific background, and because of the evidence of decreased mortality since the advent of newer classes of HIV/AIDS drugs, I firmly believe in the current models of HIV infection as the cause of AIDS.  I left work to die in 1994, and was saved by the protease inhibitors.  I then suffered through a significant bout of Lazarus Syndrome that has been lifted by a new self-definition as a advocate/activist for those of us living with HIV and AIDS.

I am a blogger who is open with my health status and use my real name in a red state.  It takes courage, some say, to do that.  Actually, I see it as living genuinely or not living well. I do not let anyone assign shame and blame to me.  I have an illness.  They might have an issue, but not me.

My viral load is consistently undetectible, but my cd4 counts tend to remain moderately low and fluctuate between 350 and 550.  I have been very lucky, especially since I have lost about a dozen close friends over the years.

Anyway, if any of you have any questions about me or what I am about, feel free to ask.

Ron Hudson
Lexiva, Videx EC

About 18 other meds to manage my side-effects/concomitant issues like diabetes, renal insufficiency, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, etc.

Poz since 08/25/1985 or earlier

Safe journeys!

Ce fut une belle aventure...

Offline Sdgirl

Re: Greetings from North Carolina
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 10:34:59 pm »
You sound strong confident and grounded................I am glad that you have joined the forum.  I believe you will be a valuable asset and friend to us all!

Welcome!

Lisa
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.  Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.  It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.  We ask ourselves.."Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?  Actually, who are you not to be?"

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 10:39:48 pm »
Hi Ron

And welcome to the forums.  Not sure what you meant in your reference to dubious start, but you've found the best place in the cyber world for those of us that are HIV+.

RAB

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 10:52:28 pm »
Hi Ron

Welcome to the family...I enjoyed reading your post and I agree with Lisa, your strength and attitude speaks volumes...I look forward to hearing more from you.

Hugs
Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 10:54:04 pm »
Heya welcome! You had a dubious start? If I missed anything particularly scandalous, I'll hate myself.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 10:59:43 pm »
a minor faux pax in posting here rab. (what the hell does faux pax mean anyways)

no big issue.

Welcome to the forums.  

I'll introduce myself as the naysayer of the group :)  I'm cantankerous, occasionally mean, often rude, but as matty says, I'm all bark and no bite.  Matty's totally damned, but I'm only maybe a 1/4 way there, but I'm trying :)

Naturally, I take a skeptical opinion of anything, Including your proposal.  It's in my nature to do so, which is why I don't participate in much  :-\

The real question i have is 'why are your links so damn huge and long?' :P

It's good to have some things huge and long, but never links.   My constructive criticism is to shorten them up a bit like 'PositiveCarnival' or some such name.   For someone to remember a huge link is near impossible in the event they lose it.

Some of your wording puzzles me a bit
and helped develop AZT for the AIDS indication.
 what the heck is an 'indication'?

I firmly believe in the current models of HIV infection as the cause of AIDS.
this also puzzles me a bit....

Maybe it's just local vernacular but strikes me as odd... and being a skeptic, I question everything.... well almost everything... okay, well, after a bottle of wine, I don't question anything  ;)

edit:  I hope you know i'm poking you a bit :P  Some is serious minded like the quotes I posted, but I don't wanna scare you off thinking I'm a big nasty person...NEVER call be big... that would hurt my feelings... but you can always call me nasty  :o
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 11:03:59 pm by DingoBoi »

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 10:59:57 pm »
Ron,

Cross posting by mistake is hardly a dubious start. Like I said in Off Topic, don't worry about it. Welcome to the forums sweetie!

Fondly,

MtD

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 11:03:40 pm »
Hello Ron

Welcome!   From a fellow "Lazarus Syndrome" PWA,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 11:07:47 pm »
Welcome Ron,

Nothing dubious at all my friend...you were just covering the bases. We can always use another tar-heel. Maybe we should do a manners content. Welcome aboard.

Peace,
Hal ;)

Offline tuggem

• 2sides2ron
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2006, 11:13:25 am »
You are all very kind, even Dingoboi... ;).  I feel welcomed, and often share my life with cantakerous people, so that is cool too.  It keeps me on my toes and laughing most of the time.

My links can be shortened significantly...I wasn't aware I could use HTML in here.  Hmm...I see how to insert a hyperlink, but not how to show anchor text.  I will need some time to quirk through this new site, I see. (Or the kindness of strangers who will help me!)

"Indication" is a category that the FDA uses when considering a"new" drug for approval.  AZT was approved for the indication of AIDS.  Zovirax has been approved for the indications of herpes simplex (genital herpes)  and herpes zoster (shingles), but not at the same time...there had to be two different New Drug Applications, one for each "indication".  Sorry, I temporarily lapsed back into pharmaspeak without realizing it.

Dingoboi, feel free to ask me anything you want about the new Carnival.  I have hosted the Tar Heel Tavern a few times and the Carnival of Bent Attractions once.  Basically, these are roaming magazines that allow people to consolidate their posts with those written by others into a single online article.  It then gives them access to a new audience and allows the topic "at hand" to be easily searched and located by people on the web.  In the case of this Carnival, since it will be hosted on any number of sites which have non-specific readership, it should give the topic of HIV/AIDS an in-road into some mainstream blogs where the topic would not normally come up.  In this way, we can share our stories with people who don't know about HIV/AIDS and raise awareness outside of just the Amen-corner and the Choir.  As long as you are blogging openly and don't mind sharing your story with the world as such, this is just a way of increasing exposure to your blog and the ideas you wish to convey.  Finally, this carnival is open to anyone around the world who wishes to contribute so long as their topic relates to HIV/AIDS in some way and doesn't get into offering medical advice per se or into the argument of whether safe sex is necessary or if HIV is the true cause of AIDS.  For the sake of focus, I have limited this site to the assumption that current medical models for HIV as the cause of AIDS are true and that the decreased death rates in the west are evidence that targeting the virus is the correct medical approach.  If this is not someone's cup of tea, they don't have to participate.  The more interesting articles, having said all of that, are the human aspects of living day to day with HIV/AIDS, regardless of the medicine you take or the way you see the debate of what causes AIDS.

Again, feel free to ask me whatever concerns you about this or any other topic.

Safe journeys, my new friends.
Lexiva, Videx EC

About 18 other meds to manage my side-effects/concomitant issues like diabetes, renal insufficiency, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, etc.

Safe journeys!

Offline gerry

• Joined AM Feb 2003
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2006, 12:31:20 pm »
Welcome, Ron.  Regarding shortening the links, you can do this by using the code below:

Code: [Select]
[url=http//...]Write text here...[/url]

Offline tuggem

• 2sides2ron
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2006, 12:39:08 pm »
Thanks, Gerry!  I figured it had to be similar, but just wasn't quite sure!  So, here are my links if anyone is interested in seeing examples of blog carnivals in action using appropriate link shorteners!

Tar Heel Tavern Home Page

68th Edition of the Tar Heel Tavern

and

Carnival of Bent Attractions Homepage

Seventh Edition of the Carnival of Bent Attractions
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 03:41:50 pm by tuggem »
Lexiva, Videx EC

Safe journeys!

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2006, 12:53:08 pm »
Well Ron Hudson...

Welcome...No doubt with a name like Ron Hudson you've heard more than your share of jokes.  And I loved Rock Hudson.  I commend you on your choice to live your life out in the open...and especially in North
Carolinia.  I don't think North Carolinia is any worse than Mississippi or Alabama.  I too live my life in the open and wouldn't have it any other way.  "Unto thyself Be True" has been my motto for quite some time (since 1973 actually)
Again... Welcome.  I hope you find this place as warm and supportive as I have....... :)
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline tuggem

• 2sides2ron
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2006, 01:02:49 pm »
Thanks, David...you are so right about my name.  I was positive when Rock Hudson's news hit and it created quite a few awkward moments when I was writing checks, for example, and someone would remark that they thought they had read "Rock Hudson".  I eventually started responding with "In more ways than you would want to know!"

Lexiva, Videx EC

Safe journeys!

Offline tuggem

• 2sides2ron
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2006, 01:19:07 pm »
and wouldn't you know that my first two links there are not working!  The latter two do, though.  Dang!
Lexiva, Videx EC

Safe journeys!

Offline TedEBearNC

• ~Cuddly~
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2006, 01:30:22 pm »
Hi Ron..

Welcome to the forums!  I'm in NC also.  Looking at your links, the first two have http:// too many times.  You can go back and edit them out. :)

Phil
Member since March 2004

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2006, 01:48:34 pm »
Hello from Greensboro. Hope you enjoy the forum.

Ford

Offline Rob - Dublin

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2006, 02:04:58 pm »
Hi Ron,

Greetings from Ireland on other sie of the world. I am sure we will find reason and cause to 'pick ur brains' many times on the road ahead.

Rob
14 Dec 2005 Tested Neg
21 Jan 2006 Infected
09 May 2006 Tested Poz
29 May 2006 CD4 551  (33%) VL 21,000
10 July 2006 CD4 632  (34%) VL 24,500

......when i'm good, i'm very good - when i'm bad i'm even better......

Dream as if you will live forever - Live as if you will die today.....

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2006, 02:18:58 pm »
Hi Ron,
Nice to meet you. My name is Lisa too, and I'm pretty much out there like yourself. I just live up the road from you, in Winston. Be nice to meet for lunch some time.
Welcome to the forums.
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline tuggem

• 2sides2ron
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2006, 04:03:07 pm »
hey y'all from Charlotte, Greensboro and Winston-Salem...good to see all the Tar Heels here...

Rob, I was in Dublin last July.  I traveled Europe for 6 weeks shooting a film about freedom, gay marriage and HIV/AIDS in public perception, so I was interviewing strangers on the streets.  I went to the George in Dublin.  Where are you in Ireland?
Lexiva, Videx EC

Safe journeys!

Offline Teresa

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2006, 04:20:21 pm »
Hi Ron

Welcome to the forums!!

Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2006, 05:26:02 pm »
Hey Ron...

I was fairly certain with your name being so closely resembling Rock's there would be alot of fallout.
Comments and jokes and the like.  When he showed up on Dynasty, I couldn't believe the dramatic change and yet
I thought about all those rumors back in the seventies about him and Gomer Pyle.  Having had many friends who had
already died from Aids by the mid eighties...I was dead certain (pardon the expression) that he was indeed Full Blown.
I came to respect Linda Evans...all those kisses she and Rock shared on the show.  I say with much confidence...you're
going to fit in well here.......... 8)

Teresa....Let's talk about that Lip Stick :-X
Let me guess...Monkey See...Monkey Do? :P
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2006, 06:09:11 pm »
Hi Ron,

Welcome form Belgium.

Hug

Hermie
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline tuggem

• 2sides2ron
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2006, 06:28:38 pm »
Je sais que je risque d'être incorrect que vous parliez français, étant de Belgique, mais sinon, on peut être amis francophones...

(I know that I risk being incorrect that you speak French, being from Belgium, but if not, we can be francophone friends.)

We can always speak English, of course, Hermie....I have a close friend in Brusselles who lost his partner back around 1994.  I wrote and dedicated a poem to these guys which you can find at Telling Tales (For Daniel and Serge).   I hope to get to know you better.

Teresa, I love chimps, but that is the first one I have known with that shade of lipstick!

Ron
Lexiva, Videx EC

Safe journeys!

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2006, 06:34:14 pm »
Hey Ron,

My native language is Dutch, but my mother is french.

We can most certainly have some conversation in French.

These members also speak and write French, as far as I know of :
Water Duck, Bucko, The Canuck,Val... I am sure I am missing some out

I will go and read the poem..

bisous

edited to say : great poems. thanks for sending the link.
à bient^ot.

Hermie
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 06:39:00 pm by heartforyou »
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline Markmt

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2006, 05:08:55 am »
Welcome Ron

hug

mark
"Live to love and love to live."

Leo Buscaglia

Offline tuggem

• 2sides2ron
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2006, 06:59:55 am »
Thanks, Mark...wow, Malta!  That is pretty amazing.  I was near-ish to you last summer.  I was visiting friends in Mallorca and then was as far south as Naples in Italy.  Do you know anyone from Gozo?  I have a poetry acquaintance from there.

Ron
Lexiva, Videx EC

Safe journeys!

Offline bear60

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2006, 02:12:51 pm »
Hi
I grew up in Chapel Hill and still have a few friends in Durham. So hi from a fellow north carolinian.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Markmt

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2006, 05:46:21 pm »
Thanks, Mark...wow, Malta!  That is pretty amazing.  I was near-ish to you last summer.  I was visiting friends in Mallorca and then was as far south as Naples in Italy.  Do you know anyone from Gozo?  I have a poetry acquaintance from there.

Ron

Wow indeed Ron :). My dad is from Gozo and my brother joins poetry nights on Gozo!. That is amazing when you consider there is only a population of some 21,000 people on that Island. Small world. The beach on my pic is on Gozo. Its the Island of the oldest free standing temple in world, older then the pyramids and some 1000 years older then stonehenge. You have to make a drop further south next time round ;) :)  Pleased to meet you Ron.

Leo Buscaglia

Offline tuggem

• 2sides2ron
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2006, 08:18:38 pm »
Hi Mark,

In that case, you must know the poetry of Mariella Cassar.  She is one of the poets featured in the Other Voices Poetry International Project of which I am part as well.  I would love to meet her!  Next time I make it to the Meditteranean, I will have to visit!

Take care.

Ron
Lexiva, Videx EC

Safe journeys!

Offline Markmt

« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2006, 06:04:14 am »
Hi Ron, Thks for link. I am not into poetry myself. My brother just published a 2nd book of poems (in English). I try to find a link and pass it on to you.. I will mention her to him next time I see him. I have no doubt there is a connection somewhere. Would be a pleasure meeting you when you visit. I will pass you my contacts in a pm.l I am sure Mariella will too :).

Regards,

mark

Leo Buscaglia

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2006, 12:28:59 pm »
Hey Ron,
Welcome aboard. Glad you have joined us.

Just a side note, I've been taking AZT for 10 years now. Works for me.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Tar Heel

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2006, 12:32:14 pm »
Howdy Rock! 

Welcome aboard from one Tar Heel to the next.

Asheville here.

Tom
"So much has been given to me that I have no time to ponder on that which has been denied." ~ Helen Keller

Offline doyourowndamndishes

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2006, 12:33:00 pm »
Hey Ron,

Welcome to the Clan!  Glad to have you aboard.

Cheers,

Alan
"All that we are is theresult of what we have thought." -Buddha

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2006, 01:54:38 pm »
Hey Ron.....Do you have a swimming pool?

Welcome to the hotel California anyway.

Offline tuggem

• 2sides2ron
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2006, 03:00:42 pm »
Not any more, KC...I did have one years ago.  I decided to simplify my life and cut the expenses simultaneously. It proved to be a good move for me.
Lexiva, Videx EC

Safe journeys!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.