Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:30:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 227
Total: 229

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Took quality health care for granted...Now Im seeing the other side of the coin.  (Read 42858 times)

Offline phillypinko

From 1992 to 2000 I saw one of the top AIDS doctors here in Philly. When he retired I saw an associate of his who was just as good until two years ago when he left the office I was visiting. He left for a reason. The place used to have a clinic day once a week. Now every day is clinic day. Im not a snob I just don't like sitting in a room built for 10 people that is filled with 30 street people. I don't think it is to much to ask to wait in a waiting room that doesn't smell like a restroom at a football stadium. I have had a few health problems the last couple of years which were handled horribly. Now its time to find a new doctor for the first time since I tested positive in 92. WISH ME LUCK!!!! lol

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
The answer to your question is if you don't like your clinic go find another one . We live in a country where medical care is a privilege and not a right so if you cant hang in a room and share the oxygen with the less fortunate then go somewhere you wont be offended .

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Jeff gave you a gracious answer.  You may not know this but I worked with "street" people and my heart always goes out to them.  No matter how they got where they're at, or how they're living, they deserve quality medical care. 

With my clients, there's one, who unfortunately is incarcerated now, but when he's out he prefers to be homeless so he can use drugs over paying rent.  Do I treat him different than my other clients?  No.  I transport him to the doctor, and sit with him when he gets his exam.  I want to make sure he's treated with dignity. 

Whether or not you can stand "street" people, you have to realize they're human beings.  Instead of being offended, you should count your lucky stars you have a place to sleep that's not an abandoned building.  Too often street people are automatically judged, when, if you think about it, should something happen to our incomes, we would also be "street" people. 

Sorry for the rant but I don't like to see the homeless being degraded.  THEY ARE HUMAN BEINGS!
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline wolfter

Sorry for the rant but I don't like to see the homeless being degraded.  THEY ARE HUMAN BEINGS!

This wasn't a rant at all.  When I came home early this morning from working way too many hours, this was one of the first threads I read and I couldn't even log in to comment.  You and Jeff were way more gracious than I was going to post.  I always have Ann's hammer in the back of my mind. ;D

Had I been in a large city with few friends and no family during my last illness, I too would have ended up one of the "smelly" people with not many options.  I was fortunate to have a great family who provided assistance until I could get healthy.  Without them, who knows?  For the first time in my life, I was flat ass broke and didn't have a place to live except with family.

I'm truly glad the OP has other options as it appears many of the others don't.  So to the OP, perhaps you'll do them a favor by moving on to lessen the burden on them?

One other aspect that originally returned to my mind was of the entire "good AIDS" v's "bad Aids" thingy that many of us remember.

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline phillypinko

Im one of the less fortunate but I know how to take a bath every day. The people you know who would rather take drugs then pay rent are called drug addicts and you'd be doing them a greater service to let them hit bottom then enabling their lifestyle. Not liking the stink of filth does not make me some kind of monster who doesn't want to "share oxygen" with the less fortunate.

Offline phillypinko

Thank you all for being so "gracious" lol

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Im one of the less fortunate but I know how to take a bath every day. The people you know who would rather take drugs then pay rent are called drug addicts and you'd be doing them a greater service to let them hit bottom then enabling their lifestyle. Not liking the stink of filth does not make me some kind of monster who doesn't want to "share oxygen" with the less fortunate.

Not all homeless people are "drug addicts". Many people who are homeless do not take drugs as a recreational pursuit - they take them simply to blot out the reality of their lives. Many homeless people do not take drugs at all. It's all they can do to feed themselves.

Your idea of letting people hit "rock bottom" has been shown to be counter-productive in the extreme. For a start, for a homeless person, "rock bottom" more often than not equals death. Are you in a better place to dictate policy than people who have studied homelessness and it's causes for decades?

I'd like to know how you would propose to take a bath every day if you should ever become homeless yourself. You have no idea what you're talking about here.

I hope you realise that some of our members here are currently homeless, and some have been there, done that. Until you have walked a mile in their shoes, I suggest you drop the judgemental attitude.

You're being quite offensive and that will not be permitted here. Think before you post!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
I guess I'm a half glass full kind of guy and love seeing people getting treatment no matter of their circumstance . I know the clinic I attend has many people who struggle to get to their appointments on time , some come in sitting in wheel chairs that are held together with duct tape . The clinic gives gas vouchers for people who drive and provide vans to bring people in but most people who are homeless have no phone or a way to arrange transportation . I have noticed that some have been in the same clothing for who only knows how long because they cant wash them due to low funds and being disabled with psychical limitations . Its these people who need a smile and hug more than you could ever imagine , that's being gracious .

The county hospital where many low income patients got HIV care closed abruptly and my clinic had to work over 860 new patients into our clinic in a matter of months . They are seeking patient volunteers to help with the transition and many have stepped up to help by giving their time and its made a huge impact .

Philly , have you considered volunteering at your clinic or elsewhere . Its a wonderful way to help your community as well as yourself . It can help take the focus off your own problems and realize that you are not alone in your struggles you face .               
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

As someone who has never done or needed recreational drugs, I find your entire line of thought patterns so congruent with what I was raised with and therefore will disregard any input you provide.  Instead of apologizing for your assisine comments, you continue to espouse them.  Therefore, I can't imagine ever trying to be supportive since you view yourself in a different league.  BTW, I come from a good family and have never done drugs, am college educated and am only a few dollars away from the situation you describe.

I truly hope you can look at our comments from a different viewpoint and garner the insight to move forward without the judgmentalness I perceive.

Offline Mishma

• HIV drugs are our Allies but hardly our Friends
    • Marquis de Vauban
Consider for a moment that these "Streetfolks/drugaddicts," you speak of have a illness which I'll call mental illness for sake of argument that is no different than your HIV infection, a common cold or cancer. These are all illnesses of your body/brain and they all deserve treatment and compassion. Unfortunately, in this bloody country the brain dead powers to be still consider Health Care, in it's entirety, a privilege and not a right-a subject that pisses me off. 

Perhaps if their smell offends you, you can invite them home with you for a bath and meal-that would be the humane thing to do.
2016 CD4 25% UD (less than 20). 30+ years positive. Dolutegravir, Acyclovir, Clonazepam, Lisinopril, Quetiapine, Sumatriptan/Naproxen, Restasis, Latanoprost, Asprin, Levothyroxine, Restasis, Triamcinolone.

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
I go to the same clinic as Jeff.  Some of the poorest folks are the most loving and generous people.  One I am thinking of, in particular, that Jeff will know who I am talking about, is on the Patient Advisory Board with us....

I understand it can be a nuisance sometimes, in a loud waiting room with some who don't smell so pleasant, and some who are always on the phone, and seem to create drama...but they are entitled to care, just like I am.  I think most of them are doing the best they can.  I get impatient at times, I am only human.  I try to say "there, but for the grace of God, go I".  Maybe some could do better than they do, but it's not for me to judge. 

I was in 'private' care from 1987 thru 2007, so I do know what a difference it is to go from that to a clinic setting.  We just all have to make the best of it, and be thankful for what we have.

Just my 2 cents worth.....

ALAN
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Habersham

I think Jeff's first answer was sensible. The responses since then are overkill.

It's not too much to ask to have a big enough waiting room for all patient's to wait comfortably. Clinics which are overcrowded and have long waits lose their patients with private insurance and don't serve their indigent patients well either.

Philly's choice of words was unfortunate.

Gang up on me if you like.

Habersham
Because I Can

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
I've obtained services regularly for close to a decade at two of the largest HIV clinics in downtown (Center City) Philadelphia. I rarely sit for long in a waiting room, nor have I ever encountered them to have a deficit of seating, nor do I routinely encounter patients that smell (though it has happened). I'd be interested to know exactly which clinic the OP is referring to.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
You know, I just got home from work a bit ago.  I took one of my clients, from Africa, to get her eyes checked today.  She was telling me about going through the war in Mozambique and how she would walk along and see body parts lying all over.  She said she stopped crying after a month.  She also told me that if parents took a child to the hospital for care, if they did not have money to pay for the care, the child did not get taken care of.  She told me that's the beauty of America-people get care. 

I'm grateful I have medical care.  By the way, one of my doctor's offices is at the local homeless shelter here in South Bend.  Thank God I have a doctor who cares that much. 

When I worked with the homeless, the church had a program from Monday through Thursday that offered a free breakfast, plus showers.  However, there was a shower list and it would fill up by about 7:30 am.  If someone did not get their name on there, they did not get a shower. 

I just do not want to become so self centered that I think I am more deserving than anyone else.  No matter what that person smells like.  Lord knows when I was a using drug addict there were days I smelled like piss and ground in dirt.  I never forget that, nor how lucky I have been.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline phillypinko

Thanks to the posters who came to my defense. It could be considered hypocrisy to judge someone who is supposedly judgmental. I have been doing volunteer work in the AIDS community for 6 years. I do prep work in a kitchen that feeds home bound AIDS patients and am a member of an "AIDS buddy" program. Those of you talking down to me sound incredibly self righteous. Its not asking much to go to a doctors office that smells clean and where the clients aren't packed in like sardines. Those of you talking down to me sound incredibly self righteous. You should read your posts and ask yourselves who the judgmental one is here.

Offline mitch777

Thanks to the posters who came to my defense. It could be considered hypocrisy to judge someone who is supposedly judgmental. I have been doing volunteer work in the AIDS community for 6 years. I do prep work in a kitchen that feeds home bound AIDS patients and am a member of an "AIDS buddy" program. Those of you talking down to me sound incredibly self righteous. Its not asking much to go to a doctors office that smells clean and where the clients aren't packed in like sardines. Those of you talking down to me sound incredibly self righteous. You should read your posts and ask yourselves who the judgmental one is here.
Philly,
The term you used in your original post "street people" can be pretty offensive to most people. You might want to reread your own post and try to understand how others may read it.
It set the tone of your post in a way you might not have meant, but never the less did.
m.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?

Im glad you have found some time to give back to the community Philly because on
June 27th you shared what I quoted below when someone suggested volunteering .

You said .
Until two years ago I volunteered for Aids organizations in the Philadelphia area. Both of my parents became very ill so I have a full time job looking after them. Having no time to myself is starting to catch up to me.

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

Replying to someone's ridiculous assertions is not judging, deeming a lobby full of smelly AIDS patients as homeless addicts is.

As my tagline reads; "judging someone does not define them, it defines you".

Perhaps a mea culpa is in order and we move past this?

Another hillbillyism just popped into my head (thanks Granny!); "never look down on someone unless you're helping them up".

Offline Habersham

What is the pc term for street people? Would Philly saying the homeless bring down such ire?

I hope they don't treat any unwed mothers

Single parents are allowed
Because I Can

Offline mitch777

What is the pc term for street people? Would Philly saying the homeless bring down such ire?

I guess I would have eliminated the word "street".
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline Habersham

We can't be sure which clinic Philly was receiving care at but I can guess.

My best friend told me he was switching because "there's nothing there but drag queen prostitutes and fkcn druggies".
Because I Can

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
We can't be sure which clinic Philly was receiving care at but I can guess.

My best friend told me he was switching because "there's nothing there but drag queen prostitutes and fkcn druggies".

WOW , what a horrible thing to say .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline phillypinko

Im glad you have found some time to give back to the community Philly because on
June 27th you shared what I quoted below when someone suggested volunteering .

You said .
Until two years ago I volunteered for Aids organizations in the Philadelphia area. Both of my parents became very ill so I have a full time job looking after them. Having no time to myself is starting to catch up to me.

My parents are well enough for me to have a life of my own again. Thank you so much for your obvious concern. Im sure you would keep going to your health care provider if their waiting room smelled like a urinal. Maybe with a lot of work on my side I can some day attain your level of tolerance for unsanitary conditions.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator

WOW , what a horrible thing to say .

I agree.  If I were in a clinic where there was someone acting too self righteous to be in the same room as a "street" person, I would go somewhere else.  Nothing stinks like hypocrisy.

Maybe with a lot of work on my side I can some day attain your level of tolerance for unsanitary conditions.

Unsanitary, really?  That's a bit dramatic.

Offline Habersham

I once went in a bar full of lady boy hookers, tweakers and smelly homeless looking people.

I didn't stay.

Because I Can

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
I once went in a bar full of lady boy hookers, tweakers and smelly homeless looking people.

I didn't stay.

If you don't have anything put passive aggressive pot stirring to add to this thread don't participate . This is a serious and subject to some members myself included and it has caused some hurt feelings as well as offending people .

I was once one of those drug addicted and desperately poor that kept my doctors appointments despite having no choice but to go in clothing that had seen a few too many wearing's since they had seen a washing machine . I know what its like to stand on a train platform and have people stare and move away from me because I was sick and covered with sores .

This conversation doesn't and cant hurt me because I have hurt enough already . Im simply not gong to let this kind of talk demoralize other members that may be where I once was . This is the lowest kind of insensitivity and will be confronted by me each and every time . You and Philly should be ashamed of yourselves and the sad part about it is your not , not even a little bit .

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Habersham

The issue to me is whether Philly or any other person we may find annoying can express their opinion without being corrected 9 times by the word police.

Once was enough.

And - I don't put my ugly on the front porch like everyone else.

I haven't always been the most attractive person and could understand why someone wouldn't want to sit next to me.

Because I Can

Offline Miss Philicia

Charming... Philly FIGHT or Mazzoni Center? I go to both and like I previously said I've not had any issues. Both are very well organized (well, Mazzoni often has issues in the front office (staffed by sober folks) but the doctors are top notch. And you can't beat the quality of medical services at FIGHT/Jonathan Lax Center.

Sorry, but knowing Philly like I do the underlying, unspoken issue is one of race often. And frankly I find it appalling.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 01:24:09 am by Miss Philicia »

Offline wolfter

Thanks Jeff for making me remember why this thread bothered me personally.  I had to recall the emotions of being an AIDS ridden faggot with a "Haz Mat" sticker plastered across my hospital room door and having staff covered head to toe in protective gear in order to protect themselves.

And dealing with ridiculed comments and people "politely" move away from me in public since it was obvious I had something nefariously wrong with me.

Perhaps this thread wouldn't be as disturbing in another section, but to have another LTS espouse these views is beyond my comprehension.  I sincerely hope that the OP can understand why this thread caused such heated comments.  Beyond that, I'm done with this topic as I don't think there's much left to be said.

Offline phillypinko

If you don't have anything put passive aggressive pot stirring to add to this thread don't participate . This is a serious and subject to some members myself included and it has caused some hurt feelings as well as offending people .

I was once one of those drug addicted and desperately poor that kept my doctors appointments despite having no choice but to go in clothing that had seen a few too many wearing's since they had seen a washing machine . I know what its like to stand on a train platform and have people stare and move away from me because I was sick and covered with sores .

This conversation doesn't and cant hurt me because I have hurt enough already . Im simply not gong to let this kind of talk demoralize other members that may be where I once was . This is the lowest kind of insensitivity and will be confronted by me each and every time . You and Philly should be ashamed of yourselves and the sad part about it is your not , not even a little bit .

HIGH DRAMA!!!

Offline phillypinko

Charming... Philly FIGHT or Mazzoni Center? I go to both and like I previously said I've not had any issues. Both are very well organized (well, Mazzoni often has issues in the front office (staffed by sober folks) but the doctors are top notch. And you can't beat the quality of medical services at FIGHT/Jonathan Lax Center.

Sorry, but knowing Philly like I do the underlying, unspoken issue is one of race often. And frankly I find it appalling.

Its the Lax center I've been complaining about and im happy to tell you there are plenty of white slobs going there 2. Im disgusted with poor hygiene not skin color. My psychiatrist and therapist are at the U of P. Im going to ask my shrink for an infectious disease or hiv specialist I can see at U of P. I've had a few health issues come up since the Lax center turned into a homeless shelter that were handled poorly. Im leaving for health reasons as much as I am the new type of client.

Offline phillypinko

I agree.  If I were in a clinic where there was someone acting too self righteous to be in the same room as a "street" person, I would go somewhere else.  Nothing stinks like hypocrisy.

Unsanitary, really?  That's a bit dramatic.
Its the smell that bothers me not so much that they are from the street. I mean I keep my eye on my wallet a little more with this new type of client around but its really the stink that gets to me. It so bad it gives me a headache. Can you imagine a doctors waiting room smelling so bad it gives you a headache?

Offline Miss Philicia

I've been a patient at the Jonathan Lax Center (Dr. Mounzer is my doctor, executive director of the entire center which is the largest in the city and one of the largest in the US) for eight years. I never wait more than five minutes in the waiting room -- and the waiting room has about 30-40 seats and I never see more than 10 people in the room. Seriously, I don't know what you're talking about except that you don't care for the evidently lower income African American and Latino client base they serve -- and I'd say in fairness that's about 80% of the patients. Eight years ago I'd say 50% of their clients were white men -- now there are hardly any. Now, I wonder why that is -- the care is the same and the front office is super organized and never flubs bureaucratic issues up (unlike Mazzoni which is a mess in the front office -- they can't even return calls, much less transfer a call without disconnecting you).

A lot of these patients are from North and West Philadelphia -- the very hardest hit parts of HIV in Philly, and don't wish their neighbors to see them go into a clinic that is in their own neighborhood, hence why they come to Center City and the Lax Center, plus it's well organized and partially funded by private endowment left by a gay man who they named the facility for -- Jonathan Lax. They also provide in-house case management, in-house pharmacist, mental health services, a special hepatitis clinic, multi-drug resistance clinic, substance abuse issues and programs for recently incarcerated patients (boy, I bet you don't like those types!).

Guess what -- HIV isn't like it was 20 years ago when it was all white gay men that could pop their AZT and then hit Woody's for a vodka soda around the corner. The types of people I just described above are the faces of HIV/AIDS in the year 2013. If you can't handle that then you need to find yourself a private doctor where you don't have to see the hoi polloi of the world.

And now that I have described what the Jonathan Lax Center is like -- and frankly I've had better care there than the 15 years of private doctors in Manhattan where I used to live, I'll leave it to our fellow forum members to draw their own conclusions about what you are saying. I hesitate to judge as a personal matter -- it's simply not part of my personality.

http://fight.org/fight-programs/the-jonathan-lax-center/

ps: Seriously? You keep an eye on your wallet when you go to the doctor. I mean come on. You must do that 120% of the time in Philly then. Sorry but I really don't know how to respond to that one.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 07:03:04 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Thanks for sharing that Miss P , you brought up some great points .   I have moved this thread into living with HIV , maybe some other people have some positive things to add to the conversation .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline oksikoko

• Writing the congressman again
That's so funny. I was literally (old-school definition) just reading this in pre-HAART wishing I could respond.

I'm curious how the *health care* is at this clinic, since the title of the thread was "Took quality health care for granted." Does the OP get good service? If not, maybe that's really what he's upset with before the thread went this other direction. And that's a real concern.

As an aside, the HIV clinic I go to recently opened up to include neggers, you know, people without HIV. This caused quite a stir amongst the HIV gentry, let me tell you. They don't stand out either, so you might be at the clinic talking to one without even realizing it. Imagine.

Edit: Oh, sorry, yeah I've got nothing positive to add. :)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 07:25:02 pm by oksikoko »
Code: [Select]
2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)
2014-11-06:                ☣ VL (→) 12,627      ☣ CD4 (→) 639
2014-??-??: off treatment  ☣ VL (?)              ☣ CD4 (?)
2013-10-03:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1105
2013-05-23:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (-) 945
2013-02-25:                ☣ VL (-) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1123
2012-12-16: Enter Stribild
2012-11-20: HIV+           ☣ VL (→) 132,683      ☣ CD4 (→) 920
2012-04-01: HIV-
Dates in this signature file conform to ISO 8601. ;-)

If no one complains, nothing will ever change.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
I believe it is always easier for people to criticize those people they do not know.  Here in Montreal, we have plenty of street folks and some of their stories would rend your heart from your body.  I obtain my health care from a HIV clinic, that serves all who need help.  Strangely enough, when I find that odours are excessive, it's generally from some perfume or after shave and not from poor personal hygiene.

Not that any of that matters.  I don't have time to look down on anyone, as that is not how I am made.  I would leave the OPs clinic because of the horrible medical care and find the unnecessary insults, regarding the less fortunate to be most telling.

Here's hoping the OP never finds himself in the shoes, of those he so easily denigrates.

Joe

Offline 2blessed

This is really offensive not because I've ever done drugs(never have my mother would KILL me) nor have I ever been homeless I come from a upper middle class African American family and am enjoying college life but I'm offended because I am a human being and there are just some thing you don't say maybe it's because I'm southern and we talk differently but I doubt thats the case maybe it's more you never took the time out to talk to a "street person" I know many, some distant family members, who have hit horrible patches in life and the worst thing you can ever do is to judge them...if you're not helping then you're hurting..it's not too much to ask for you to reach out help those less fortunate than you..I was always told by my mom "baby we have money...you don't" so although I'm not homeless I personally don't have much to give but time and a nonjudgmental listening ear and kind words

Offline oksikoko

Homelessness comes on little cat feet, or so I'm told. One day, middle class office person, next day [POUNCE] learning not to eat, where to sleep and how to be very nice to strangers. Some strangers will let you shower, so that's like two birds with one stone. Or is it two kittens with one sack? I got lost in the metaphor.

I'm always surprised by how many people here have been homeless. You'd think there was a connection between HIV and homelessness or something.

Oh, look, they have a website for everything. http://www.nationalhomeless.org/factsheets/hiv.html
"HIV/AIDS and homelessness are intricately related.  The costs of health care and medications for people living with HIV/AIDS (PLWHA) are often too high for people to keep up with.  In addition, PLWHA are in danger of losing their jobs due to discrimination or as a result of frequent health-related absences.  As a result, up to 50% of PLWHA in the United States are at risk of becoming homeless (National Alliance to End Homelessness, 2006)."

Etc.
2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)

Offline wolfter

Oski, I can always count on your for a good smile when reading your posts.  ;)  Absolutely adore your posting style.

Someone would have to be moronic to not see a connection to HIV and homelessness.  It was quite common in the early days for families to discard their previous loved ones because of this virus.  We took in a few different friends while dying from AIDS as they had nothing.  No support, no ability to work, and would been on the streets if they weren't lucky enough to have someone who cared enough to love and care for them through the dying process.

I never imagined being close to that predicament, but that's exactly what would have happened a few years back after the loss of my partner and my latest severe illness.  I was fortunate enough to have family who supported me for quite a while as I fought to recover.  Had I not been so fortunate, there were no other resources available and I cringe at the thought of the outcome.

Offline harleymc

I guess the cure for bigotry hasn't been discovered.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Tool man

HIV and homelessness...
One of my neighbors runs a HIV clinic here in Arkansas and I asked him if he had anyone who needed a place to live due to HIV cost issues. My husband and I live in a 5 bedroom house and have lots of room to offer. Friends of ours have done this and had great additions to the family for years. The doctor said he knew of no one in economic trouble. I wonder if he was being truthful or if things are better here in the smaller towns?

TM
Like I tell my husband, "I would agree with you but then we would both be wrong."

Offline oksikoko

Oski, I can always count on your for a good smile when reading your posts.  ;)  Absolutely adore your posting style.

Wocka wocka!

The doctor said he knew of no one in economic trouble. I wonder if he was being truthful or if things are better here in the smaller towns?

That's a great gesture on your part. Rural v. Urban may be different. Or maybe it's just New York and my circle of friends. I can name on the top of my head five or six homeless friends and acquaintances right now and another half dozen who've been homeless this year but who now have living situations (of varying stability). In some cases the virus came first, but not in all. :-/

Offline phillypinko

Wocka wocka!

That's a great gesture on your part. Rural v. Urban may be different. Or maybe it's just New York and my circle of friends. I can name on the top of my head five or six homeless friends and acquaintances right now and another half dozen who've been homeless this year but who now have living situations (of varying stability). In some cases the virus came first, but not in all. :-/

How many of your homeless friends are on drugs?

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
How many of your homeless friends are on drugs?

I honestly don't know how that's relative to what was posted.

Offline Miss Philicia

Drugs are bad and homeless people who get high every day deserve to smell. Or that was my take away... Kind of like how gay people are bad and deserve AIDS, unless you're gay then naturally you find that type of thinking repellant.

Of course, I could be off base with this assumption and if so I apologize.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Drugs are bad and homeless people who get high every day deserve to smell. Or that was my take away... Kind of like how gay people are bad and deserve AIDS, unless you're gay then naturally you find that type of thinking repellant.

Ah, so it was just more stereotyping.  He should have finished the thought, though, and maybe will come back to do that.

Offline JungleJungle

Personally, i would be more interested in receiving the best quality healthcare rather than  worrying about who shares my waiting room oxygen...but i live in a country where healthcare is a right, and welfare provides a decent service for all. After reading all your posts i am glad not to live in US, in terms of welfare (no offending meaning here)...
You need coolin', baby, I'm not foolin',
I'm gonna send you back to schoolin',
Way down inside honey, you need it,
I'm gonna give you my love,
I'm gonna give you my love.

Offline phillypinko

If you can't understand how drug use and homelessness go hand in hand you may be to far gone to have a discussion.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
I have been on disability for twenty years, since I developed AIDS in 1994. I was lucky then, because I was fast-tracked to disability and managed to latch onto section eight (reduced rate) housing before the avalanche of HIV survivors clogged the system. At the present, there is an eight year wait forthat housing.

I currently pay $250 a month for rent ( including 30 pet rent, water and sewer, and all that).

I know full well that I am an inoppurtune inspection away from beign homeless. As it stands, each month I basically spend down to the dollar. Gas, meds, food/otc drugs, pet food and litter, and internet/phone take all but maybe a hundred dollars of my monthly income.

I know I am next door to homelessness. I fear that, and I act upon that fear by freaking out when scheduled inspections are scheduled.

It is a life basedon fear. And poverty.

And for the OP, how many people with mental illness face homelessness? I suspect that number rivals thatof the lowly drug abusers (and that there is serious overlap as people try to self-medicate).

I have more to say. I just don't have the energy this weekend.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.