Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:18:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 354
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 280
Total: 281

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: I performed Oral on a Man...!  (Read 5011 times)

Offline Magnif07

I performed Oral on a Man...!
« on: December 26, 2007, 09:17:00 am »
Hello everyone, I hope everyone is enjoying their holiday season.

Here is my question:

I am performed oral sex on the man in which I was dating( with ejaculation) and I do not know if I had any minor oral abrasions, at that time. Sometime after I started experiencing upper neck and back pains. In addition, both my left and right parotid glands became red and warm to the touch(they did not become swollen). At this point, I became very afraid of what might be going on inside my body.  Therefore, I waited ,7 1/2 weeks( 53 days to the day of my last possible exposure), and purchased a Home Access HIV-1 test, the test was Negative.

Now, my question to you all is:
Did I wait enough time for the antibodies to show up?( I have read so many different test "window periods" that my head is spinning...MedHelp Dr. HHH says 6-8 weeks, the CDC says 3 months to 6 months and then TheBody.com states 6 weeks most will test positive...However, they go on to say that they still recommend the same testing guidelines as the CDC...So, I trust that you see my confusion.

Did I really have a "true" possible exposure risk?

Does my Parotid Glands becoming Red and Warm to the touch mean anything, with regard to HIV?

Thank You all for reading this and I trust that I may finally receive some answers to my frustrating and nerve-racking questions.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: I performed Oral on a Man...!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 09:33:52 am »
Mag,

Giving a blowjob is more a theoretical risk than anything, for several reasons. For one, saliva contains over a dozen different proteins and enzymes that damage hiv and render it unable to infect. Another reason is that hiv can only infect a very few, very specific types of cells and these cells are not found in any abundance in the oral cavity. I would not expect you to end up infected over this blowjob.

The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days. Where there has been an actual risk, a six week negative must be confirmed at the three month point.
You only had a theoretical risk to begin with and your seven week negative result is not going to change.

See your doctor about your symptoms - whatever is causing them is not hiv. You do not have hiv.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Although you do not need further testing over blowjob incident, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Magnif07

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 09:56:20 am »
Thank you for your quick response...I do appreciate your advice.  :)

Offline Magnif07

HIV testing Window Period...Difference in the varying Dates...Confused?
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 04:57:49 pm »
 Hello All,

I am REALLY confused...I don't understand the difference in the Window Periods in which some Information sites offer:

1st> Thebody.com and CDC State that 6-8 weeks, after possible exposure, the average person will seroconvert...However, testing is advised on or after 12 weeks.

2nd> Mass. Health Dept. , HIV/AIDS hot line and MedHelp.com State that any test in which is FDA approved will be reliable after 6 weeks.

3rd> POZ.com States 13 weeks after possible exposure.

Please, can someone help me...I am Totally confused and very afraid...I tested at 7 1/2 weeks...53 days after possible exposure...(oral sex...I performed on a man with ejaculation)  I had red parotid (saliva) glands No Swelling and upper back aches...Also, Has anyone ever tested after 7 weeks Negative and then tested later and had a Positive result, from the same exposure...Not a new exposure?

Please, HELP ME...I'm So afraid...:-(

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: HIV testing Window Period...Difference in the varying Dates...Confused?
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 05:06:48 pm »
The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. All but the smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after an exposure to the virus. There are more highly sensitive tests in use now which can give a reliable result at 6 weeks.

However, ALL approved tests will give a reliable result at 13 weeks. The CDC has for sometime recommended testing at 13 weeks. Some countries accept 12 weeks. We go with the 12-13 week rule and recommend that for a realiable result.

Andy Velez

Offline Magnif07

Re: HIV testing Window Period...Difference in the varying Dates...Confused?
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 05:16:32 pm »
Thank You Sir,

I do appreciate your quick response...I am just confused by the various dates and differences in the "window period" advice? I just want to have this all go away...

Sir, I promise this is my last question with regard to this thread...I just want to know...from your experience do you think I should have another test, from my exposure risk? Do you think I need further testing?

Again Sir, Thank you so much for helping me with this issue...I do appreciate it....

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 05:23:18 pm »
I've merged your threads. Please don't start any new threads. Keep all of your entries here so readers can follow the exchanges.

I wouldn't have thought testing necessary in the first place in connection with this incident you're concerned about.

Given that you have tested negative at 7.5 weeks and bearing in mind what I have said previously, I don't see any need for further testing. You're HIV negative.

Get on with your life is what I say.
Andy Velez

Offline Magnif07

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 06:03:37 pm »
I am sorry for that....I will only add on from this one from now on...again, sorry.

and thanks for answering my questions...sorry, if I am was seeming needy.

Thank you.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 06:15:41 pm »
No problem. You're welcome.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.