Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:26:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 199
Total: 201

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: I just don't know  (Read 3689 times)

Offline duke

I just don't know
« on: April 29, 2012, 12:28:07 pm »
Just over a week ago I slept with a sex worker in Prague - twice. Both occassions involved protected oral and vaginal sex. I don't believe the condom ever broke during either encounter.
The first encounter I couldn't finish and at one point I withdrew and masturbated with the condom on - is there any chance of HIV transmission from vaginal fluid via any blisters I may have had on my hand or cuts on other parts of my body? They were healing, no bleeding on my part. I also rubbed around her anus hole with my hands and tried to insert my finger but was told to stop.
The second visit was pretty straightforward and I ejaculated in the condom.

I'm worried as my knowledge of HIV is poor and I just need to know whether testing is necessary?

I've already made an appointment at my local GUM clinic for a general check up.

Any advice would be appreciated, this is a very informative forum/site and has been of great help to me.

Thanks

Offline RapidRod

Re: I just don't know
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 12:38:09 pm »
No risk in any of the situations you've provided.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 01:09:17 pm »
The only confirmed risks for the sexual transmission of HIV are unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse. As long as condoms are used consistently for those activities you will be well protected against HIV whether your partner is a sex professional or a civilian. Condoms are very democratic that way.

You are worrying needlessly about HIV.

Other STDs are much easier to acquire than HIV. So we advise anyone who is sexually active to at least once a year have a full STD panel done.

But as far as HIV is concerned you have no cause for concern this time. 

Andy Velez

Offline duke

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 08:10:00 am »
Thanks to both of you.

One final question. I take medication for chrones which dampens down my immune system. In the situation discussed would this make any difference?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 08:11:35 am »
Your medications for Chrone's disease are irrelevant. You had protected intercourse and weren't at risk for HIV to begin with.

You are worrying needlessly.
Andy Velez

Offline duke

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 02:35:19 pm »
Apologies posting again.

I've had a blood test after 4 weeks (recommended by gum clinic in uk) and tested negative. I'll have a further test at 3 months.

My only real worry is whether or not the condom broke during intercourse. Is it obvious when it happens? I had been drinking and now I just doubt what I think I saw/happened.

Since the incidents with the sex worker I've been having protected sex with my partner. She is still breast feeding my son and I'm just so worried about what could happen.

Sorry again for posting I just have no one to talk to about this.

Offline duke

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 02:37:09 pm »
Apologies posting again.

I've had a blood test after 4 weeks (recommended by gum clinic in uk) and tested negative. I'll have a further test at 3 months.

My only real worry is whether or not the condom broke during intercourse. Is it obvious when it happens? I had been drinking and now I just doubt what I think I saw/happened.

Since the incidents with the sex worker I've been having protected sex with my partner. She is still breast feeding my son and I'm just so worried about what could happen.

Sorry again for posting I just have no one to talk to about this.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 03:50:56 pm »
As you were advised before you never had an exposure.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 04:00:00 pm »
If the condom had broken you would definitely have known it. A failed condom is not about itty bitty little holes as people sometimes fear. When it goes the whole thing ends up looking like a hoop with fringe on the penis.

You're worrying needlessly. Straying partners often worry when the real issue is not risk, but guilt. Let it go and get on with your life. If you are testing it's only for your peace of mind because I don't read any evidence that you actually had a risk for HIV. 
Andy Velez

Offline duke

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 12:07:00 pm »
One further question before I leave you all in peace. I understand I wouldn't have an exposure wearing a condom. I was very drunk at the time so if we didn't notice the condom was broken is there any chance the medication I'm taking for chrones would delay seroconversion/affect my results? The drug I take is used in cancer treatment also. I just want to know my 3 month result will be conclusive. My 4 week 4th gen test is negative so I'm hoping nothing will change when I test again in July. I don't want to have to worry about other factors possibly affecting the result. My relationship is rebuilt and I want to put this mistake behind me and move on.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 12:45:22 pm »
Duke,

Even when drunk, you'd notice a broken condom. You did not have a risk for hiv infection!

You've already been told that your medications won't affect your hiv tests. It's only heavy-duty cancer treatments that might do that - you know, the type where your hair falls out and you catch any little bug going around. If your medications were that strong and debilitating, you'd be passed out in a hospital bed, not posting on the internet.

You didn't have a risk, but even if you did, your three month test will still be conclusive. You don't really even need further testing - you only need it for your peace of mind.

All this worrying for nothing. Dump the guilt and get on with your life.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.