Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:49:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37650
  • Latest: rovipa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773275
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 546
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 345
Total: 347

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Longevity  (Read 4499 times)

Offline BangkokGuy

Longevity
« on: April 03, 2014, 11:09:01 am »
I posted a couple weeks ago in this forum -- I had my first HIV+ test on March 1.

I thought I would start a new topic as this is a separate subject.

I'm getting to the point where I might be (emotionally) ready to start telling people close to me.

These people are not as educated on this issue as we are here -- many still think this is a death sentence.  They are going to think I'm going to die soon...and I have to convince them otherwise.

But, speaking of longevity in real terms.  With the current drugs available and early treatment (I am sure I was infected between six and eight months ago, and my CD4 is still a high 800)...is this really going to let me live a normal life span (I'm early 50 now).  Or will the infection it take some years off my life?

I know it is important to remain a positive outlook, but I'd really like to know in no-nonsense terms.  It will help me in my discussion with people around me, and I don't like to beat around the bush.

Thank you all!
1 April 2013     HIV-
1 July 2013      very ill -- seroconversion?
1 March 2014   HIV+
                         CD4 787
4 April 2014     CD4 661 / 29%
                         VL 4,826
15 July 2014    CD4 588 / 30%
                         VL 16,364
03 Aug 2014    daily:  600mg Sustiva once; Combivir, twice
22 Aug 2014    CD4 683 / 34%
                          VL  46
22 Nov 2014    CD4 836 / 32%
                          VL <40

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Re: Longevity
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 01:39:33 pm »
Bangkok, yes you can live a normal life span.  You are newly diagnosed and (most likely) infected, so your chances are very good.  Do you have any idea when you will start meds? 

I would just plan on living a long life, as long as you do the things to take care of yourself...good diet, keeping yourself in good health etc.    We all know what we're supposed to do, the challenge is often doing it. But I believe you'll be fine. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline BangkokGuy

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 02:11:06 pm »
Thanks.  I am waiting for blood work to come back, which will then allow a doctor to prescribe my first meds.  So I will be starting in the next week or two.

I am just curious about how the disease is known to affect life expectancy at this stage.  A bit?  Some?  Not at all?  I wonder what the actuarial tables would say, not that anyone would give an HIV+ person a life insurance policy.
1 April 2013     HIV-
1 March 2014   HIV+
                         CD4 787
                         VL 4,826
                         VL 16,364
                          VL  46
                          VL <40

Offline AusShep

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 02:34:06 pm »
Hey BangkokGuy,
Good to see you're going to start treatment, but listen to Betty.  Your chances are very very good.

The problem with statistics is that they're really only applicable to a large population, they don't tell you much about your individual chances.

The chances are you will never be run over by a bus, but someone probably gets run over nearly every day; there's no need worrying about it, just look before you cross the street.

An individual with a low CD4 count may live healthy until they're 90, they may not.  We know the odds are better with normal CD4s, but for a particular individual, no one can tell you for sure.

Take care of yourself and take your meds as Betty recommends, and you'll be fine.  Worrying if you'll be one of the rare cases of something isn't helpful, and there's not really anything you can do about it other than taking care of yourself along the way.

Offline zach

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 02:40:39 pm »
With adherent meds, you'll probably live a normal lifespan. Get them, stay on them. Chances are better than not the HIV virus will only be a nuisance, and never develop into the disease AIDS. Probably greater chance of dying in a scooter crash. Love BKK, but y'all are insane.

Your CD4 numbers are great.

This is not going to kill you, or even take anything from your life expectancy. If you take meds.

Offline pittman

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 11:04:18 pm »
You are in a great place with respect to your numbers. You can rationally and reasonably expect a normal life span if you adhere to your treatment.

You will see many somewhat recent studies that show a slight (2 years or so) statistical shortened life span.  What I will just point out is how to keep that in perspective:

If you compare those that regularly exercise to those that are sedentary, you will see slightly worse lifespan differences than those between HIV- and HIV+ individuals.

Eating healthy is similar.

Avoiding stress is similar.

Routinely not getting enough sleep is similar.

The point is, there are many things that are in your power to influence to improve your health and increase the likelihood of a long healthy life. Managing your HIV is just one single aspect, and you should not become overly obsessed with actuary tables and the like.

Just live your life in a generally healthy manor and you will be in a better place than many who may be HIV- but yet still fail to pay attention to their health in all the many small ways they could.

Offline BangkokGuy

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 01:07:57 am »
Thank you, pittman.  That puts things in perspective.

So, I'm also wondering -- if CD4 levels stay in normal range and VL is undetectable, what is it that might cause a shortening of expected lifespan?  Do the meds and/or the virus do things to your body other than producing full-blown AIDS that shorten peoples' lives?

Thanks all for the insight, I am new at this.
1 April 2013     HIV-
1 March 2014   HIV+
                         CD4 787
                         VL 4,826
                         VL 16,364
                          VL  46
                          VL <40

Offline pittman

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 10:06:38 pm »
Thank you, pittman.  That puts things in perspective.

So, I'm also wondering -- if CD4 levels stay in normal range and VL is undetectable, what is it that might cause a shortening of expected lifespan?  Do the meds and/or the virus do things to your body other than producing full-blown AIDS that shorten peoples' lives?

Thanks all for the insight, I am new at this.

It is not easy to answer that definitively. 

First, remember that as others have pointed out, the statistics are based on a population and not entirely meaningful when applied to an individual.  It is also a moving target in that the life expectancy gap is constantly shrinking and may very well be approaching the point of being unmeasurable.

As to *possible* HIV impacts, constant low level inflammation is one cited frequently.  The medicines are generally well tolerated with very low incidents of side effects.  Keeping an eye on your liver and your kidney functions is important however.  Moderating your alcohol intake or anything that can add extra stress to your liver or kidneys is probably a good habit to develop.  Monitoring for heart disease is also a good idea. There is a slightly higher incidence of heart disease with HIV+ individuals.

Don't go overboard. Just use some common sense and start with building good health habits a bit at a time. There really isn't any magic formula or special secret to it. Just the normal things everyone should be doing. (Plus taking your meds!)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 05:28:29 am »

Don't go overboard. Just use some common sense and start with building good health habits a bit at a time.

^^This.

It's not a good idea to start trying to make all sorts of drastic changes to your life (ie eating/drinking/exercising habits) all at once, particularly when you're still mentally and emotionally adjusting to your new hiv status. You're setting yourself up for failure if you try to do it all right now.

Be kind to yourself - but don't baby yourself either. Try to strike a balance and take things one day at a time. You can't change yesterday and tomorrow never comes, but you can make small incremental changes today. Build yourself a firm foundation before you build the tower.

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.