Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:04:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 637
Total: 638

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Moving to Phoenix, AZ  (Read 4685 times)

poznoregon

Moving to Phoenix, AZ
« on: October 15, 2006, 01:27:30 am »
Hi Everyone,

I have accepted a new position in Phoenix and will be moving in the near future and was wondering if anyone from that area has any recommendations for HIV doc's. Also are there any social groups that get together for any outings or activities in the area.

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 01:40:21 am by poznoregon »

Offline Jeffreyj

Re: Moving to Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 03:19:53 am »
Hi and congrats on the new job. Feel free to pm me. I 'd be happy to answer any questions you may have.
Positive since 1985

Offline Eldon

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 12:36:08 am »
Hey Poznoregon,

I am sending my BEST wishes to you that you get settled comfortably in Phoenix. Jeff and Tim is an excellent source as they DO live there in the State of Arizona. You will find most of your sources in the Downtown Phoenix area.

Make the BEST of each Day!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 11:35:39 pm by Eldon »

Offline marc11864

• I apologize for nothing!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 10:50:06 pm »
Hey there poznoregon,

Welcome to Phoenix. I moved here myself only a little over a year and a half ago. There are quite a few decent Drs here depending on what you are looking for. I previously lived in SF and I can say with some positivity (my bad) that the care here in Phoenix isn't too bad. Two organizations that I would suggest you contact for resources and information are Care Directions and Body Positive. Both will help direct you toward a Dr who is best suited to your needs. Mind you, one thing that I was surprised at is that mostl Drs here don't see you very often. Usually, you will be tended to by an NP (Nurse Practioner) under your chosen Dr.

Anyway, here are links to the two organizations I mentioned earlier and good luck and good health to you...

Marc

Care Directions  http://www.aaaphx.org/main/HIVCare.asp
Body Positive  http://www.phoenixbodypositive.org/index.shtml

Let us cavort like the Greeks of old! You know the ones I mean.

poznoregon

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 07:53:31 pm »
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the information. I'll have some time this week to check things out as my stuff will not arrive until Saturday. Coming from Oregon I feel like I drove back into summer, and I am enjoying it.   If you have any recommendations for some quaint urban areas to live that would be great. I'm looking to purchase something in the springtime. I currently have a 6 month apartment lease and already can't wait until that is done.

Thanks again.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 10:07:50 pm »
Hey Poznoregon,

You certainly take me back to the time when I was living there a year ago. You may want to do your search on "N 7th Street" on the North side of Northern Avenue stretching to the "N 16th Street" radius. If not, you can go on Camelback Road past "N 7th Street" and they have a ton of apartment choices along the way.

In anycase, get settled and enjoy Phoenix.

Make the BEST of each Day!

Offline marc11864

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 10:37:05 am »
to poznoregon

How are you settling in so far?  :)

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 10:53:48 am »
LOVE Phoenix!  We have a house in Mesa over by Red Mountain.  I havent been down there in forever tho!!!
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

poznoregon

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 01:27:09 am »
Hey Marc,
Phoenix is going great I'm really enjoying it out here. I'm starting to begin the house hunting process and sure don't look forward to that but I need to find something to buy before the end of April when my lease comes due.  Starting to meet people and getting more acclimated to the area. Its been a great new adventure.  I love the NW but it sure is nice not to have all the rain during the winter time. If you have any good urban neighborhoods to recommend I love to hear about it. 
Thanks for asking.

Offline Tucsonwoody

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007, 11:20:16 am »
Welcome to Arizona- nice to have another forum member from this great state, I have lived here so long that I can remember much of the area that is now developed being all corn fields or desert.  Wish I could offer advise on a good place to live, but Phoenix area is way too big for me to keep up with it much.  My brother and his family live in the Awatukee area and my neice lives not too far away in Chandler...both nice areas.  Of course Tucson beats them all..but can understand that the commute from here would be a pain :)

Hope you enjoy the "dry heat" of the summer!  :P
And I wished for guidance, and I wished for peace
I could see the lightning; somewhere in the east
And I wished for affection, and I wished for calm
As I lay there - Nervous in the light of dawn

Offline marc11864

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2007, 11:53:48 am »
 Really good to hear. I find myself empathizing with you when you said, "I love the NW but it sure is nice not to have all the rain during the winter time." as I used to live in SF. Now if we could only do something about those hella, too hot summers we'd be all set. Although, this past November I went to visit my partner who lives in Thailand and he was wiping his brow like every 20 minutes or so while me... nothing! Only thing that I can attribute it too is being acclimated to someplace hotter than hell!  :D

Urban you say, hunh? Well, how urban are we talking? Are you looking for a house or condo-style living? Do you prefer something downtown. How much does price figure into your search. Much of the Biltmore area is decent although rather pricey. I had a friend who lived off of Campbell and 20th in a really well-maintained condo. If you are looking for something more reasonable, I know there are some conversions near where I live. Can't remember the name but it is located at 32nd and Osborn and the prices they offered seemed very reasonable for that area. The condos themselves are recently refurbished It is a little more rundown just south of there but tolerable and near Fry's and a Walmart. If you are looking for something a little more family oriented (read, GAY!)  ;) , I understand there are some great places in the Hysteric District.  :P It's very near downtown and Phoenix College so it's considered a popular area and the costs aren't too outta sight. I'm afraid I don't have any real experience with house hunting in this area yet myself but in general, these are places that I've had at least some experience with. I also lie the Tempe area and most likely will relocate there myself once I finalize my school plans a little more.  :)

poznoregon

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2007, 02:48:58 pm »
Hey Marc, I have seen several of the condo conversions lately. Looked at some last weekend over by the 202 and Papago park area. I'm really considering Ahwatukee, Tempe, South Scottsdale areas but who knows where I'll end up. I work down in Chandler so I will be traveling against the rush hour traffic. I'm really looking for a townhouse, patio home, or older craftsman style type house but I'm not even sure those exist out here.  How long have you been in the area?

T-Woody, I agree with you in regards to the size of Phoenix, I think I'm filling up my tank at least 2 times a week if not 3. I think a hybrid car is on the horizon after I find a new house.  I'm in Chandler currently which is a nice area but too suburbia for me.

Offline marc11864

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2007, 08:31:06 pm »
Absolutely you can find those kinds of homes in the Phoenix area though if you are surfing the web realtors here, they might be calling them something else. That's one thing I've learned over the years that I've moved around.

I've been here in Phoenix now for almost 2 years but I have lived in AZ before near Tucson for a couple of years prior to my stint in the Bay area for 8. It is what it is  ;D I've found myself missing SF a lot lately. (But if you tell anyone I said that I'll deny it! hahaha)

I had some friends who lived for a bit in Chandler but it was too inconvenient for them as they said everything seemed so much further away than they cared for. Just going to the store for a gal. of milk was time consuming. Course they didn't have reliable transportation at the time. Another friend of mine lives in Mesa and he likes it. Chandler doesn't seem that much further. I don't know what Portland was like for driving in rush hour but if it was anything like San Francisco or worse Seattle then Phoenix will still be a breeze in comparison.

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2007, 09:00:26 pm »
Here is a website that you will find interesting. It has an extensive HIV? AIDS service listing, as well as clubs and some nightlife:

www.adamlife.net
Positive since 1985

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.