HIV Prevention and Testing > Do I Have HIV?

Blood Contact

(1/2) > >>

Linitt9:
I need to be educated. Iím seeing someone who is hiv positive. Question he was bleeding and I touched his wound accidentally. I donít think I had any cuts but i definitely do chew my fingers. I tried to ask him questions and he gots upset and shamed me. Now I feel like I donít trust him and if he does have a high viral load and his blood got my skin that potentially had cuts is that risk? I know symptoms donít mean anything right ?

Jim Allen:
Hiya,

Sorry to hear that your partner gets upset when you ask questions.

--- Quote ---if he does have a high viral load and his blood got my skin that potentially had cuts is that risk?
--- End quote ---

Not an HIV risk to you. In short, minor wounds, cuts, scrapes and day to day wounds lack route and HIV is fragile and loses its infectiousness exposed outside to the environment outside the body.

Here's what you need to know to avoid HIV infection:
Use condoms for any sex, correctly and consistently, every time, no exceptions. Consider talking to your health care provider about taking PrEP going forward as an additional layer of HIV protection.

Keep in mind that some sexual practices which may be described as Ďsafeí in terms of HIV transmission might still pose a risk for transmission of other STI's, so please do get fully tested regularly and at least yearly for all STI's including but not limited to HIV and test more frequently if unprotected intercourse occurs

Also, note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms and the only way of knowing is by testing.

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the "Do I have HIV?" Forum you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here. It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be deleted.

Linitt9:
I am curious to know the difference between how a lot of websites say blood exposure is a risk no matter the amount of blood on to a cut? This guy stopped answering my calls when asked about his viral load which make me worry that itís high. We have never had sex or even kissed. But now I feel I have contracted hiv cause I am having night sweats , headache and a sore throat. You really think I had no risk consider he might have a high viral load?

Jim Allen:
This morning, I read a general practitioner post who still thinks sneezing and coughing spread AIDS, so nothing surprises me.

I do know some sites & people hold onto outdated data or theoretical concerns that have never happened regarding HIV without correct context. Perhaps this is part of the reason.

Look, what you posted so far is no HIV risk to you whatsoever. What you are fearing is just day to day environmental contact and there has never been a documented case of HIV transmission the way you fear, so you did not acquire HIV from this event. There are many reasons why this type of contact is not a concern, only one is that HIV is fragile and the receptors needed to infect corrode once exposed outside the human body.

Now for cuts or wounds to be a remote concern, in theory, I suppose if you had been in a knife fight and the two of you were bleeding half to death directly into each other wounds or you experienced some similar extreme event, it would be a theoretical risk but the least of your concerns. Anyhow, you would have mentioned hospitalization and being covered in blood sooner if that was the case.

So you don't need to worry about HIV unless there has been any sexual contact with someone or sharing drug equipment to inject drugs since your last negative HIV test.   

Linitt9:
Thank you for the all information Jim. So if even though i directly touched his wound it would still be consider environmental even though it was his arm and it was fresh blood ? Also if by any chance I had rubbed my eye or lip accidentally would that have changed anything? I believe I read eyes and lips are mucous membrane.
Your response made me feel better I just donít know why Iím being avoided now? Makes me think heís hiding something or I was really exposed? I spent a lot of time reading and it seems like itís just unprotected sex, Iv usage are the main reason. Which I havenít done any of that. I guess what made Me freak out were the symptoms I experienced. Thanks for your time and everything you do for us.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version