Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Insurance, Benefits Programs & HIV

Can I get Expat Health Insurance in Thailand

(1/3) > >>

vanbrit:
I am a POZ Canadian Expat living in Thailand. Is it possible to get Health Insurance? Willing to accept exclusions. Any recommended companies or brokers willing to insure me? I am a 58 year old healthy male diagnosed and stable since 2003 on ARV treatment  for over 15 years.   

Expat1:
No you cannot get expat insurance that will cover your pre-existing condition.  That said, HIV treatment is cheap for first line medication.  Note that Thai insurance has a specific limitation that will not cover any HIV or STD infections. 

If  you work for a Thai company and get covered under Thai Social Security, you will be covered for HIV even pre-existing.  However you will get the standard Thai drugs, and tests according to Thai National Standards.  (Example: Once Annual Viral Load testing, generally no genotype testing.)

You can get Accident insurance, and you are more likely to die from a motorcycle accident than any complication of HIV.  An accident only policy is around $75 per year.

TH_guy:
Hello Expat1,

But if I don't care too much about HIV cover and HIV-related diseases, I can get insurance and cover everything not about HIV? Or If i get accident insurance they will cover car accidents or motorbike, if they will know I have HIV?

terrymoore:

--- Quote from: TH_guy on August 08, 2018, 01:13:40 pm ---Hello Expat1,

But if I don't care too much about HIV cover and HIV-related diseases, I can get insurance and cover everything not about HIV? Or If i get accident insurance they will cover car accidents or motorbike, if they will know I have HIV?

--- End quote ---
I now this is is old...if still relevant, the answer is YES. If you do not plan on using the insurance to cover HIV related treatments then you will have no problems. I would not mention your condition to the insurance company.

daveR:
I will add my findings to this. As soon as you mention HIV they turn you down. Every company I have contacted so far, local Thai and international have done so for medical insurance. I suspect if you do not inform them of your status and then have a major health issue, cancer for example, they will drop you like a hot potato.
I get accident insurance from my Thai bank.

Also this is now becoming an issue for us retirees in Thailand as it looks like health insurance is all ready required for some visa types and I assume will be required by all retirement visa extensions soon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version