Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 03:00:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773516
  • Total Topics: 66380
  • Online Today: 449
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 347
Total: 350

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Doctor Appointment  (Read 5604 times)

Offline lightalltheway

Doctor Appointment
« on: May 09, 2021, 08:19:09 pm »
Hello,

Due this darkened days with the pandemic, i have been a victim of restriction of movement and the freedom to move. Hence, i have missed my yearly routine check-up for few months now. Expected few more months to be able to reach my clinic.

I don't know how much longer should i wait until i will be able to see my doctor again, i would appreciate if somebody passed through the same and share his experience in terms of skipping and/ or being unable to access his routine check-up for a prolong period of time. Any risk? any advice?

on a side note, i am adherent to my ART, i feel generally well, just like any normal day.

Light all the way

Offline nethan1621

Re: Doctor Appointment
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 07:31:20 am »
As long as you are taking your medicine still you are lucky and healthy. Pandemic worst nightmare is runout medicine Supply but as long as there is no issue with ArV supply, just be patient per while for a blood test. Without blood test best thing you are doing is adhered to medicine means blood test is second thing you can do later… depending on where you live , even dr can email blood form and go to a laboratory… if its not the way in your place, just take your medicine and live a life… when I diagnosed my first aim was to find enough ARv supply without discrepancies in pandemic and once im secure with ARV other tests can be done as per situation in the pandemic 😷

Offline lightalltheway

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 08:39:03 pm »
Nethan,

Many thanks for your post. Actually what you said makes absolute sense beside that there is nothing i can do at the time being. I am fully adherent, i have my medication, and i dont have any health issues thank god.

I hope other participants can share their experiences on this topic. And i wish if they faced the same, their lab works were perfect.

Thank you again
Prince

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 11:48:15 am »
in terms of skipping and/ or being unable to access his routine check-up for a prolong period of time. Any risk? any advice?
think of it this way: what are you expecting from your routine check-up?

have you remained adherent to your meds? have you had any other medical issues? If your answers are yes and no, then your check-up was going to do little except run blood tests. if you have stayed adherent, then your results would probably be similar to the last time they were checked. HIV meds don't just fail, so there's no reason to think that this routine check-up would be any different from last time.

here in America, our Ryan White program (which helps provide medications and healthcare for people living with HIV, especially those with limited or no resources for healthcare) requires 3-4 physician visits a year. Not for any medical reason (because when staying adherent without any other health issue, a person's health simply won't change very much in a 3-4 month time span); but because data has shown that 3-4 visits a year helps keep people (in general) mindful about their treatment and so they remain adherent to their meds. another reason to see a physician that often is to keep prescriptions for HIV meds current.

but to be a bit crass, in America where healthcare is big business, while multiple physician visits, lab work, and renewed prescriptions each year does ensure patients are well monitored for any health issues, it also means that everyone makes money too. Of course the cost of patients NOT staying in regular care and staying adherent can be astronomical in medical costs and lives. The cost of requiring regular visits then is money well spent.

leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline lightalltheway

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2021, 08:59:07 am »
think of it this way: what are you expecting from your routine check-up?

have you remained adherent to your meds? have you had any other medical issues? If your answers are yes and no, then your check-up was going to do little except run blood tests. if you have stayed adherent, then your results would probably be similar to the last time they were checked. HIV meds don't just fail, so there's no reason to think that this routine check-up would be any different from last time.

here in America, our Ryan White program (which helps provide medications and healthcare for people living with HIV, especially those with limited or no resources for healthcare) requires 3-4 physician visits a year. Not for any medical reason (because when staying adherent without any other health issue, a person's health simply won't change very much in a 3-4 month time span); but because data has shown that 3-4 visits a year helps keep people (in general) mindful about their treatment and so they remain adherent to their meds. another reason to see a physician that often is to keep prescriptions for HIV meds current.

but to be a bit crass, in America where healthcare is big business, while multiple physician visits, lab work, and renewed prescriptions each year does ensure patients are well monitored for any health issues, it also means that everyone makes money too. Of course the cost of patients NOT staying in regular care and staying adherent can be astronomical in medical costs and lives. The cost of requiring regular visits then is money well spent.

Your words always bring me comfort. Thanks a million my friend for being always a source of positivity. After reading your lines, i am not worried at all. I am adherent, no health issues, and no signs of anything 'touch wood'.

Many thanks again
Prince

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.