Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:02:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 463
Total: 465

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Nervous about MP oral encounter  (Read 3070 times)

Offline helpneeded2

• Standard
Nervous about MP oral encounter
« on: March 06, 2013, 06:30:29 pm »
First, thank you so much for taking the time to help me.  I am a hetero male late 50's , Even though I have looked through quite a few posts , all with the same answers , "oral is no risk". Why then do others post after receiving a blow job I thought, well probably because I am as well.  Encounter was at a massage parlor in Mid Dec 2012 , had given her oral a few seconds just at clit area not in opening, while getting a hand job and she jumped up on the table and started a bj no cover , i finished in about 1 minute,  did not cum in her mouth. Also was fingering her from behind with my thumb.  The reason i am so nervous is she kept asking me is it hot in here , when it wasnt really hot in there and she said she was sweating , could have been hot flashes for all I know but still really nervous and worried. I know you do not deal with symptoms so I will refrain unless asked. I have even gone back to some of the 2006 posts and have seen a change in the way you describe the oral risk to a small degree , mainly after the studies you often quote, oral has become a no risk scenario.  I have come back many times just to read the answers regarding oral sex and have found comfort each and every time. But alas the nervousness returns. I am scared to death to test. I had tested january last year after receiving oral and was negative. I now have since found your site and as others have said there are sites that pose oral is high risk. Just as an FYI , never at anytime have I had uprotected vaginal or anal sex , actually no intercourse at all , for over 2 years now. Sometimes seeing your assesment in print regarding your own scenario helps.  Thank you to the volunteers here with this education and valuable info. I just wish all of the sites could get on the same page.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Nervous about MP oral encounter
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 06:40:50 pm »
You are worrying completely unnecesarily about HIV transmission. Really. Getting oral unprotected is absolutely no risk. It's one of the common of sexual acts and no guy has ever been confirmed to have been infected that way. You are not going to make history by becoming the first.

As for giving oral, which you barely did from your description, your saliva contains over a dozen elements and proteins which very effectively prevent the transmission of viable HIV.

Only unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse are confirmed risks for the sexual transmission of HIV. You don't have to test or worry. Just get on with your life.
Andy Velez

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 06:42:17 pm »
Hi Help . There have been no fewer than three separate serodiscordant couples studies (where one person is HIV positive, the other negative.) These couples were tracked for three. five and ten years. The couples used condoms for penetrative vaginal and anal sex, but NO BARRIER at all for oral sex. Any kind of oral sex.

These studies yielded NO infections.

We do often quote the same studies because they are as significant today as they were when the studies where first published . The sex you engaged in was no risk and you do not need to test over this .

ALTHOUGH YOU DO NOT NEED FURTHER HIV TESTING AT THIS TIME, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care checkup, including but not limited to HIV testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine checkups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine HIV tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than HIV. Some of the other STIs can be present with no obvious symptoms, so the only way to know for sure is to test.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid HIV infection. It really is that simple!

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline helpneeded2

• Standard
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 03:47:00 pm »
Hello again,  I didnt want to use another post but I needed to throw it out there.  I have not tested based on the oral encounter I posted earlier , have not had any encounters since.  To keep my anxiety at bay I looked at an artical mentioned here about oral and hiv, fact or fiction.  It was more technical but it seemed to mention periodontal disease etc. as adding to the risk.  Along with a lot about whats in the mouth and how it could happen although very low risk. It did mention they havent had any conclusive evidence of oral only.  They never say no risk. This raised my concerns again and I found another site medhelp? and they appear even more adamant and state zero risk for oral.  I am assuming this is where theoretical risk is what you mention?  Thank you to all for your help and service on this site.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 04:15:15 pm »
You didn't have a risk during cunnilingus and here is why .

HIV transmission doesn't stand a chance of happening via female genitals to mouth - there are just too many obstacles on the oral route.

The first obstacle is the mouth itself. The mouth is a veritable fortress, standing against all sorts of pathogens we come into contact with every minute of our lives. It's a very hostile environment and saliva has been shown to contain over a dozen different proteins and enzymes that damage HIV.

HIV is a very fragile virus - literally. Its outer surface doesn't take kindly to changes in its preferred environment; slight changes in temperature, moisture content and pH levels all damage the outer surface. Importantly, it needs this outer surface to be intact before it can latch onto a few, very specific cell types and infect. 

Which leads to the second obstacle. HIV can only latch onto certain types of cells, cells which are not found in abundance in the mouth.

The third obstacle to transmission this way is having HIV present in the first place. The female secretion where HIV has been shown to be present is the cervicovaginal fluid. This fluid is actually a thick mucus that covers and protects the cervix.

The fluid a woman produces when sexually excited comes from the Bartholin's glands, located on either side of the vaginal opening. I have yet to discover one shred of evidence (and believe me, I've looked) that shows this lubricating fluid to have any more HIV present than other bodily secretions such as saliva, sweat or tears. Saliva, sweat and tears are NOT infectious fluids.

So there you have it. Once the results of the serodiscordant studies started rolling in, what we know about HIV transmission on the cellular level was validated. The only people who were getting infected were those who had unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse. Period. One of the three studies went on for ten years and involved hundreds of couples. That's a lot of nookie.

Getting a blow job isn't a risk for HIV .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline helpneeded2

• Standard
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 01:38:09 pm »
Hi Andy, Ann , all.  I have been doing my very best to put this behind me but since have had what looks like several (3-4) pimples coming up on my arms at different places/times, mainly left arm and they come and go. I have had minor acne since I was a kid but never on my arm.  Also what feels like a ball under my toes on my left foot, this goes away after I take my shoes off.  Needless to say I am really freaking out and the thoughts of am I the unlucky one where the lady was possibly seroconverting and a perfect storm happened during oral?  When i see things like 'not in abundance' ( it means they are there, right?)  I do remember a post I saw from Ann (cant find it again) where she had no issue with her boyfriend going down on her even when she was not on meds. That really helped when I read that , but these issues arose and its thrown me backwards in a big way.  Is it just a 'go see your doctor' not related issue?  Needless to say I am scared to death to test.   Please Help.  Thank you all.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 01:46:00 pm »
You didn't have a risk so knock it off already . Your questions have been addressed and there is nothing more to add other than go test if you cant except the assessment .

We do not discuss symptoms , if you are sick go see your doctor and find out why .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.