Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:51:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 234
Total: 235

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: anxiety, what to do?  (Read 21687 times)

Offline dodaca

anxiety, what to do?
« on: November 15, 2006, 03:09:57 pm »
Hello folks,

Well I am new here  (dont blame my sloppy English)
I'm scared to be get hiv because of this accident (non-sexual) on a bit rainy day:

I was in the city here and while walking with my bike, i turned into a smaller street on the right and at the corner of a house there was a peeing dirty tramp!!! I passed very close beside him, I saw him and was first kind of frighted, but as i moved on and i assume maybe urine or even blood in it splashed on my finger or even mouth. Now I think of it im very afraid because i also have had a cuticle (nail biting) riped hours before, and i think i have a risk because of those dirty or hiv tramps. I cant think clear and i think of going to the doctor...pep or so? but i also read that mucous/broken skin exposure is a very low risk of infection.

thanks for a clear reaction!

bye
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 11:23:40 am by dodaca »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Need advice: 'urine' incident
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 03:25:19 pm »
There's not a grain or a drop of a reason for you to be concerned about HIV in relation to this recent incident.

You do need to read the lesson on this site about HIV transmission. There's a link to it in the Welcome thread which begins this section. No one can afford to not know the basics about HIV transmission because this epidemic is going to be around for a longtime to come.

You are worrying  needlessly now because you don't know those basics. Read the lesson.

Cheers, 
Andy Velez

Offline dodaca

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 04:55:15 pm »
this was in the welcome thread:
''For example, HIV-positive people with very high viral loads (high amounts of HIV in their blood and genital secretions) may be more likely to transmit the virus to their partners, during unprotected insertive anal, vaginal, or oral sex. The presence of STDs, especially ulcerative STDs, can increase the risk of spreading (or becoming infected with) HIV. Trauma – such as abrasions or cuts inside the vagina, anus, mouth, or on the penis – can also increase the risk of transmission. All of these can increase the per-act risk of HIV transmission.''

So this means my chance of something like hiv would be minimal/non? Is there a number that you sir can tell, because i feel like i'm the only one ín the world who is dealing with this incident (of urine)....
I've also read: oral sex is like much less risky (than vaginal/anal sex) so i can compare it with a cut in the finger or not?

Well i hope to get some ease, because it was a awful thing

Thnx

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 05:21:10 pm »
You don't get HIV from URINE. Period.....

Offline dodaca

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 02:57:52 am »
this you can you all confirm? suppose a bot blood in the urine?

well  ???

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 07:10:26 am »
dodaca,

Urine is NOT infectious where hiv is concerned.

Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus that is primarily transmitted INSIDE the human body as in unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse. There has never been a case of hiv transmission via a urine splash on the street and you won't be the first.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline dodaca

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 08:52:54 am »
HI people

well this is a serious issue to me,

i have been to my home doctor here, and i explained him my accident, it wass very serious for me
so
he said that if hiv would infect me through a small cut/crack in my finger (which i had new that day), the blood would have to come 'higher' from the body, so not from blood in urine.... that is true or not? any professional help from you would be nice...

I keep in doubt but my doctor said this is not a need to worry, but
how everyone would fear it when something like this happens, especially because tramps aren't normal hygiene

so is the chance still none?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 09:17:21 am »
I don't care what your doctor said. This whole incident is in the domain of WHAT IFs and has absolutely no sound basis whatsoever in HIV science. Not the least is that HIV is a fragile virus. It doesn't get transmitted via splashing, and certainly not even remotely in the circumstances you have described.

You need to (re)read the lesson on Transmission which you can find a link to in the Welcome thread which begins this section.

There is absolutely nothing to be concerned about in relation to this incident. What it reveals are fears and prejudices which you have about unfortunate street people. That's really what this is about. We've told you the real deal about HIV here. That's all we can do.

Andy Velez

Offline Buraze

anxiety, what to do?
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 11:49:31 am »
Hi,

I have had blood from an unknown person on my fresh, like a few minute old hangnail on the top of my finger. This sore was not more than 0.5cm long and it is bleeding when you press it 'hard'. I dont know what is this transmission risk in a percentage... im very anxious, do i need pep for 1 month? please help

thanks people

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Re: anxiety, what to do?
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006, 12:33:36 pm »
Buraze,

Can I ask why you are using different usernames while posting to our forums? Thus far, you have also used dodaca

Please realize that this kind of activity is disrespectful of other forum members, as well as our moderators. People spend a considerable amount of time helping others in these forums. Using multiple accounts is at the very least annoying, if not deceiving and disrespectful of others. It is also against our Terms of Membership which you agreed to when you became a member. This information is also contained within the Welcome Thread, which you should have read by now. So really, you have no excuse.

You must realize that the answers won't change, no matter how many names you post under.

I would appreciate a reply to this message, and I hope you will commit to using just one account - preferably your original one. If not, you will be banned from further access to the forums.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Buraze

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2006, 12:56:50 pm »
well, im from europe first, my english is not very well, so i didn't know why its not allowed to use multipel accounts,

and i thought if i use a new name i could ask a question, because im very anxious about blood and hiv
few days ago i had this question and its more or less the same as the one before,

now i have flu and how more i think of it, how more doubts i have to get it, i dont want to go to the doctor again

im sorry to use different account, how could i make it right, it is never the intention to harm other or disrespect! i have also read the welcome thread,

your right an sorry again

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2006, 01:02:18 pm »
Buraze,

For a start, you can go back to your original account. I know you still have the password because I know you logged into your other account before creating the new one. I've disabled your new account. Do not create a third account or you will be banned, no questions asked. And as for why multiple accounts are not allowed, it's because people use multiple accounts to ask the same question over and over and over again. It's a waste of our time.

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

Someone's blood on your hangnail is NOT a risk for hiv infection. When you read the Welcome thread as I've asked you to, make sure you click on the link to the Transmission Lesson and read that too.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline dodaca

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 10:12:44 am »
Ok
Can someone tell me why hiv cant be transmitted by mutual masturbation, especially when there is sperm on the penis(foreskin) or on the hand?
Is there here also a (theoretical) chance?

thank you very much

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2006, 10:18:00 am »
Mutual masterbation, does not cause a risk of HIV infections. Air exposure and temperature change causes the virus to become inactive. There is not even a slim chance of a theoretical risk.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006, 11:07:17 am »
You're not listening. At least not to us. You're stuck on the stuff which is going around inside your head. And it has absolutely no basis in HIV science. None whatsoever.

We can only tell you what we know to be so, and urge you to read the lesson on Transmission,  a link to which you will find in the Welcome thread which opens this section.

You seem to be filled with feelings right now. Feeling are not facts and you are not an expert on HIV, though you seem to be reacting as if you are.

If you can't let go of this unwarranted fear then I suggest you see a counselor or other mental health professional to discuss what's going on.

Cheers, 

« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 11:54:27 am by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline dodaca

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2006, 11:41:26 am »
I have visited the docter and he gave me something against depression and antiexy

but last week i really am afraid, because the last weeks i had that thing with masturbation from another  and i keep wondering why it is considered not a risk, sounds like hiv dies outside in a fraction of a second/minute

Ofcourse I assume you are experts and no doubt i am a rookie this.
bye

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2006, 12:59:53 pm »
dodaca,

Hiv is a very fragile virus. Its outer membrane is very sensitive to minute changes in moisture content, pH levels and temperature. Its favoured environment is INSIDE the human body and once it is outside this environment, it quickly becomes damaged and unable to infect. To infect, it must actually latch on to specific types of cells in the body. In order for it to be able to latch on to these cells, not only must it bump into these specific cells by chance, but its outer membrane must also be intact and in good condition.

This is why hiv is primarily transmitted inside the body during unprotected intercourse, or when the fresh virus is injected directly into a vein when injecting equipment is shared between users of street drugs.

Mutual masturbation is NOT a risk for hiv infection. Not one person has ever become infected with hiv through sharing a wank and you will NOT be the first.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline dodaca

Re: Blood from mouth?
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2006, 12:32:05 pm »
just curious, but has there ever been research on how long droplets blood with hiv survive in normal everyday environment (air)?
is that more like seconds/minutes/hours?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2006, 12:37:49 pm »
dodaca,

Please read the Welcome thread like you've been asked to. In the posting guidelines found there, it tells you to post all your questions in your own thread. Asking questions in other people's threads is called hijacking and we don't allow that here. Keep all your additional thoughts or questions here, in your own thread.

I removed the question you asked in another thread and place it here, in your own thread, which is the only place you should be posting.

There's been plenty of research into what you ask. Hiv is very fragile and it loses its ability to infect outside the human body very, very quickly. I don't think anyone has ever timed it with a stop watch, but we do know that it is rare indeed for transmission to take place via bodily fluids found outside the body.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline dodaca

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2006, 04:25:39 am »
ive another question: how is that fluid called that comes out of your hangnail(0.5cm) when you push hard on it? its not like blood but more white, yellowish
can this crack be a place where hiv enters the body with someone elses blood?
And can you get hiv by nose picking with that same finger?

I a cant get over it...sorry
bye
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 12:37:10 pm by dodaca »

Offline dodaca

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2006, 10:59:33 am »
is this realistic or not?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2006, 11:27:04 am »
What are you doing, letting someone else pick your nose.
is this realistic or not?
NO!!!

Offline dodaca

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2006, 11:33:13 am »
no, my own nose with my finger, which had a hangnail
duh
lol

Offline dodaca

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2006, 12:39:23 pm »
im wondering if the mucous membrane in the nose ,
so that there is permeability for hiv
i wasn't bleeding at that time.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2006, 12:44:47 pm »
Are you asking if you can infect yourself, by picking your nose? Dod, you need to really take a break from this forum.

Offline dodaca

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2006, 08:41:42 am »
no im asking could you be infected from touching an environmental surface and after a 20min. nose picking with the same finger (which has a hangnail), suppose there is blood on that surface..

is that realistic or

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2006, 09:05:31 am »
dod,

No, it is not realistic. You cannot become infected from touching environmental surfaces and if you would bother to read the Transmission Lesson like you've been asked to, you would already know this.

You have NOT had a risk of hiv infection by any stretch of the imagination. No risk.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline dodaca

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2006, 12:43:23 pm »
yes ive read the transmission lesson a lot times and after this im trying to let it go and take the timeout like rapidrod said,

but every time i am worried, think about getting infected by some 'cruel suspicious ones' deliberately, because i travel a lot by public transport/ stations and so,

i know it sounds like stupid, cause i have no unprotected sex
but it is true that blood and so cant infect someone through the mouth (mucous) ? nor hangnail ?
i suppose this are my infection 'routes' that i can imagine myself

Offline dodaca

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2006, 12:44:47 pm »
I need a psychologist also right? :-[

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2006, 12:53:00 pm »
It wouldn't hurt you any.

Offline dodaca

« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2006, 12:57:19 pm »
what about the question i am trying to ask about routes through the mouth?or hand?
which is more dangerous

Offline dodaca

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2006, 01:15:30 pm »
im just very nervous and in what situation or amout would blood pose a risk through the mouth or so to infect,

guys you are great and this place is really of first help to me
thanks!!!!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2006, 01:32:13 pm »
If you had the amount of blood in your mouth for a possible exposure, you wouldn't be worried about sex. You would be worried about how many stitches is it going to take to sew up that gashing wound. You don't get infected for having hangnail, papercuts, abrasions, or chapped hands. It just doesn't happen.

Offline j_friend

• Standard
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2006, 02:44:56 pm »
Dodaca ... what surprises me is why you've chosen HIV as the virus you're frightened of catching? Most Worried Wells have some amount of sexual guilt associated with their fears. My point is that there are MANY diseases/viruses which are MUCH easier to catch than HIV ... and with your "what if" thinking, you may be in for a life FULL of fear and anxiety if you don't seek help ASAP.  You DO have a choice - do you wish to continue to travel down this road, or do you want to change your direction? It truly is up to you!  If you allow fear to control your destiny, it WILL! I wish you the best.

Offline dodaca

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2006, 03:41:34 pm »
that is great advice you give me. i appreciate it very much

Offline mrtallguy

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2006, 08:27:17 pm »
Dod....
Here is a good example of how difficult it is to catch this virus....I contracted the virus Jan 1st, 2003 and sero-converted Jan 8th, 2003.  I found out that I had the virus March 25, 2003.   I had sex with a friend around Jan. 30th 2003 (a month after catching it when my viral load was very high) which was when I did not know I had the virus and my friend swallowed my entire load.  Two months later I tested poz and went back to my friend and told him---and we were convinced that he must have caught the virus from me.   His test came back negative and he is still negative almost 3 years later.  The virus is killed when exposed to air, saliva, and stomach acids.  Due to the acidic nature of urine, HIV cannot survive in it.  Stop worrying, start living and....

Be Well!

Craig
I AM DETERMINED TO SEE THINGS DIFFERENTLY!
--ACIM

Offline dodaca

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2006, 08:59:58 am »
I am glad you want to help me and explain things,
but i cant help it i keep 'thinking' it can pass when someone intends to hurt me,
and its a real trouble i think in advance i will be infected with blood of someone

and you say its very unlikely to pass through mouth or eyes and so

i hope it will calm down

THANKS

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2006, 09:15:38 am »
dodaca,

Instead of hoping these thoughts will "calm down", I would suggest you seek out a mental health care professional in the new year so you can work on these issues with someone to guide you. You need to do this face-to-face with a qualified person. We can't help you with that here.

You don't have to live with this paralysing fear.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline dodaca

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2006, 10:26:45 am »

and infection is not that easy and if someone has blood it wouldn't infect through my mouth or cuts right?

yes that's a good step i think, Ann

Offline dodaca

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2006, 12:27:59 pm »
I know i'm a worrier and suppose it would happen (about that blood)

what will be then?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2006, 12:35:29 pm »
Suppose what would happen then?

Offline dodaca

« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2006, 12:37:31 pm »
well blood comes in my mouth/lip and i will catch this virus or another one
 :-\

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2006, 12:40:24 pm »
We've already told you, that you won't get infected in that manner. You are starting to go beyond the scope of this forum. As Ann has previously stated to you, you might want to get some one on one counseling.

Offline dodaca

« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2006, 04:13:45 pm »
Hi again, I know im trying to leave this hiv things behind me, but i need your strong advice again

The following incident occured to me:
today i was with a old friend (not a very close one) of mine, long time not seen
AND when we greeted each other he 'stroke' his hand around my new growing beard, so his fingers were around my mouth (not in it)
Later we were sitting somewhere and i saw that his hands had some hangnails, cuts etc.
So I really dont know what to do next, because I have also a sore in my mouth, behind my teeth. which was not bleeding but i think
my friend did have some blood on his hand and that was around or on my lips/mouth!

Its really like destiny for me or something, is this really if blood was involved a POSSIBLE transmission?
so what should I do next?

Im afraid now!
 :-[ really

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2006, 06:12:30 pm »
dodaca, you're done here. We have answered your questions over and over again. Seek out mental help, you are not going to find it here. 

Offline dodaca

« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2006, 03:36:49 am »
ok

Offline dodaca

« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2007, 11:23:44 am »
can feces anyhow carry hiv in it?
Ive read it can when you see blood, but I didnt

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2007, 12:12:44 pm »
dod,

Neither feces, nor urine, nor sweat, nor tears, nor saliva are infectious. Did you ever bother to read the Transmission Lesson? If you did, you'd know these things.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline dodaca

« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2007, 12:14:17 pm »
First i have to say im undertaking something to let go these fears, im about to start with my psychologist.

Yet
I ask you one more thing, while i have read transmission is NOT possible of environmental survices.
Now I ve started  sport and i have got a large blood blister under my foot, and when i put of my black socks, it was very painful and a layer of skin was gone (about blood i didnt know) and my concern is that other could ofcourse have had blood(minutes before) on there foot when we are going to the showers.
COULD hiv pass there then my large blister, should i ask it my homedocter?

Ow yes
A good 2007 for everyone!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 12:15:59 pm by dodaca »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2007, 12:17:58 pm »
No, you are not going to contract HIV from a popped blister and getting in the shower. You always have a good chance of getting a case of athlete’s foot.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 01:11:43 pm by RapidRod »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.