Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:33:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66329
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 239
Total: 239

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Severe body aches  (Read 6283 times)

Offline 2005 got the hiv

Severe body aches
« on: July 14, 2008, 07:52:43 pm »
Hello all, have a story and question.  I had been doing pretty well, about the only complaint I had 4 months ago was just being tired all the time.  Back in late April I came down with the flu delt with that for 2 weeks body aches and the usual deal with that.  Started to get better but the muscle and Joint aches I still had them.  Mid june I had my wisdom teeth pulled had antibiotics for a week then about a week 5 days after I got off the antibiotics started running a low grade fever 100 for 3 days then it shot up to 102 went to the urgent care and the prescribed me 1000mg of pen VK.  Broke out in hivs body aches and joint pain went thru the roof they gave me another antibiotic I took it but I don't feel any better.  The high fever is gone but getting around is hard.  I'm pretty energetic so this is scary.  My load back in April was 217 and VL 13,000 I had my new labs done 2 weeks ago and my counts was 355 VL 260,000.  My Dr. chalks it up to Vl increase wants to start meds ASAP I was trying to hold off until the first of the year.  When I talk to the ID Dr. he just nods his head and chalks it up to the HIV.  I also have osteporsis

I'm wondering if this is normal?  Or has some had the same experience's.  I mean sometimes I don't know if I can keep working its that bad.  I wake up in the middle of the nightkneesfeel numb and it hurts to move them for awhile.  The only thing that helps is Advil and I think I'm better buy stock at this pointI think of the song by Freddie Mercury where he says his body aches all the time.  But how long did he have it?  Any ways I just worry it may be something big other then the HIV my wbc was below 3 k too.  Is there something you eat that can make my joints feel better?  Just wondering.  All replies apreciated.  Thanks  Peace out!

Offline Roie

Re: Severe body aches
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 06:08:36 am »
Welcome to the forums and I hope you feel better.
Why do you want to hold off on the meds until the first of the year?
If your doc reccommends you taking them now, then perhaps its best that you do. I started on my meds with similar no's that you have. I did not expierence any adverse side effects, My CD4 went up and my VL is undetectable.
Cruise on down the High Way

"When people who are not ready jump in, things can go horribly wrong. For most of us, there is always time to take a deep breath, consider one's options and make a careful, sound decision based on clinical fact, not emotion."
MtD

Offline 2005 got the hiv

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 10:05:59 pm »
Hey Roie!  It's not that I don't want to start.  Its the cost of the meds.  $1500 a month is steep.  I have an hsa plan so I have to pay the 1st 5400.00 before my insurance helps and then I go in to co-pays.  The insurance is ok if your not sick but if you are it sucks.  I'm in the processoftrying to get some help with the cost.  Take care and thanks for the reply.

sd

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 10:29:30 pm »
Hey Roie!  It's not that I don't want to start.  Its the cost of the meds.  $1500 a month is steep.  I have an hsa plan so I have to pay the 1st 5400.00 before my insurance helps and then I go in to co-pays.  The insurance is ok if your not sick but if you are it sucks. 

Yeah, that sure doesn't sound like "insurance" to me..... how much would they pay if you were hospitalized and treated for an opportunistic infection because anti-retrovirals were economically out of reach?  That's as much something for you to think about in playing with HIV "fire," as a rhetorical rant against the insurance industry.

As for your complaints about joint pain and inflammation, you might try consuming turmeric powder at the rate of 1/2 to 1 teaspoons a day for a few days.  I posted in another thread that my doctor and I realized that inflammatory symptoms I had been experiencing kicked up after I stopped supplementing with turmeric capsules -- it's ridiculously expensive that way, but you can find 8 to 16 ounces of turmeric powder in an ethnic supermarket (East Asian, Latin, Indian, Ethiopian) for just a few dollars.  Sprinkle it inside of a sandwich or roll-up, or whisk it into eggs before cooking.  Or brew it and drink it like tea.  Within three days you should recognize some improvement.... but don't skip getting medical attention if you have fever, vomitting, diarrhea, or dehydration with the aches!

Best,
David
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 06:49:37 am »
Hello all, have a story and question.  I had been doing pretty well, about the only complaint I had 4 months ago was just being tired all the time.  Back in late April I came down with the flu delt with that for 2 weeks body aches and the usual deal with that.  Started to get better but the muscle and Joint aches I still had them.  Mid june I had my wisdom teeth pulled had antibiotics for a week then about a week 5 days after I got off the antibiotics started running a low grade fever 100 for 3 days then it shot up to 102 went to the urgent care and the prescribed me 1000mg of pen VK.  Broke out in hivs [sic] body aches and joint pain went thru the roof they gave me another antibiotic I took it but I don't feel any better.  The high fever is gone but getting around is hard.  I'm pretty energetic so this is scary.  My load back in April was 217 and VL 13,000 I had my new labs done 2 weeks ago and my counts was 355 VL 260,000.  My Dr. chalks it up to Vl increase wants to start meds ASAP I was trying to hold off until the first of the year.  When I talk to the ID Dr. he just nods his head and chalks it up to the HIV.  I also have osteporsis

2GTH: Please let us know how you are. Our thoughts are with you. Did the 2nd round of antibiotics get rid of the skin hives? You're right - the costs of meds is a tremendous issue to say the least. I really feel for you. Here's a hug.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 06:59:46 am »
Just for us to review some facts in your case ...please correct anything below 

1. You're going on 3 years without HIV meds

2. Your VL back in May of this year was 24,000, now it's 260,000

(Above information garnered from your 3 posts (You only have 3 posts in total))
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 09:40:11 am by allopathicholistic »

Offline OutOfDarkness

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 06:43:57 pm »
hi there,

hope you feel better soon.  stay in touch with your doc and keep trying to get financial help with your insurance, but don't stress about cost your health is the most important thing right now.  try contacting your local Aids Service Organization as soon as possible also.  You should not have to suffer like this, is there anyone in your area to help you?
2000 - seroconverted
2005 - cd4 350, VL 113,000
3/06 - started sustiva/truvada
3/08 - cd4 1,300 VL >50(undet.)

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 01:12:28 am »
Hey Roie!  It's not that I don't want to start.  Its the cost of the meds.  $1500 a month is steep.  I have an hsa plan so I have to pay the 1st 5400.00 before my insurance helps and then I go in to co-pays.  The insurance is ok if your not sick but if you are it sucks.  I'm in the processoftrying to get some help with the cost.  Take care and thanks for the reply.

sd

An hsa or Health Savings Account can be confusing at first, but it has been working for me, quite well in fact. It is designed to cover the costs of high deductible insurance plans. You should be putting money away into each month that is before taxes and you have a maximum amount of 2850 a year to personally contribute. you should check with your employer's human resources/ and or bank that you have it with to make sure you understand it.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.