Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:46:48 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 213
Total: 214

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Few questions about my risk  (Read 31627 times)

Offline cadera

Few questions about my risk
« on: September 30, 2006, 12:56:49 pm »
Dear All,
I would like to get your opinion about my risk. I jsut had vaginal insertive sex 1 day ago without a condom. The duration of my unprotective sex was about 10 minutes which was not at one go 10 minutes. the sex was pretty normal nothing liek deep thrust. I am not sure if the girl  had hiv or not but what do you think my risk is. the female to male transmission of hiv. after sex I looked if I had any cuts on my genital area and did not see or feel anything lihe that. Do you think I should go for PEP since its still so early. one more question the girl I was with just recently divorced and has a 5 year old child, do doctors chekc for STDs during health controls. I know the girl did drugs before but not sure if she has shared needles.

I would appriciate your opinions and when is a good time to get tested 40 days 50days to get a good sense?? is PCR DNA a good test.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post

Offline cadera

Re: Few questions about my risk
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 01:05:40 pm »
I meant birth control not health controls

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 02:16:53 pm »
Cadera,

Yes, you have had risk but no, I don't believe PEP to be necessary. Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus and more so from a woman to a man. The odds are distinctly in your favour of testing negative.

Only an hiv antibody test can reliably reveal your hiv status. PCR testing is NOT approved for diagnostic purposes because it returns a high rate of FALSE positives. ANY PCR result must be checked with antibody testing anyway, so PCR testing is a waste of time and money and has the potential to freak you out with a false positive result.

The earliest you should test for antibodies is six weeks. The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days. A negative result at six weeks MUST be confirmed at the three month point. The only conclusive negative is one had at three months post possible exposure.

Forget worrying about whether or not this woman was tested as a part of her reproductive health care - you can only go by your own results.

Please read through the Welcome Thread and follow the links for further Transmission and Testing information. Here's what else you need to know:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

You need to start using condoms and stop playing roulette with your life and health.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline cadera

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 10:17:34 am »
thank you Ann for your respond and all the links you sent me at your signature. I will do my testing in six weeks and than again in 13 weeks to make sure. I hope I get through this fine. I need to keep my self busy i guess to go through this time faster. I just spoke with the girl and mentioned that we did not use a condom and all that kind of meaning stds and she was like oh you are fine so I hope thats true. some people might not even be aware of being infected and all that. but what u said is very true i should stop playin roulette

Offline cadera

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 03:31:20 pm »
i have a little cold and sore throat could the symptoms come that fast like day 3 after possible exposure

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 03:39:49 pm »
No, you will not get any symptoms that quick. As you see the symptoms that you mentioned is the same symptoms as the common cold/allergies.

Offline cadera

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 07:12:34 pm »
anymore input about my situations from other members of teh forum?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2006, 08:39:44 pm »
Cad, I honestly don't see there's anymore to say about the incident and getting tested. I do appreciate that it's difficult to sit while waiting to get the answer you're anxious about.

What I recommend is that you stay productively busy and you will find the waiting period will pass much more quickly than you maybe able to imagine at this moment. When you become aware you're tensing up do the good deep and slow breathing which I recommend. It really works and helps in getting past that chest-tightening anxiety.

Ultimately I expect you will come out of this ok.  HIV is as you have been told not easy to transmit, especially from female to male. Given this was a single incident the odds are way in your favor that you're going to test negative.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline cadera

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 08:13:41 pm »
thanks everyone for response i kined of get nervous on and off i have to get through this time although i asked the girl I had vaginal intercourse with if everything was ok doing it unprotective and she u are fine I still get a bit crazy with my self anxiety and all that today i have a little temp and feel like its symptoms and all that ... sorry to bother u guys with my anxiety issues i just need to hear from people i guess and hopefully get through this one being negative

Offline cadera

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2006, 03:00:34 pm »
????

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006, 03:14:39 pm »
cadera,

Symptoms or even the lack of symptoms means nothing when it comes to hiv infection. Stop looking at your body through the lens of hiv or you will end up making yourself feel ill. Anxiety will do that to you.

You're just going to have to remain productively busy while you wait for the appropriate time to test. Keep in mind that the odds are heavily in your favour of coming out of this ok.

If you need extra support to get through the waiting period, I highly recommend that you see a counselor or therapist face-to-face. There is only so much we can do for you here.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2006, 11:37:13 pm »
I agree with Ann here....and it is way too early for symptoms anyhow. If you are looking at your body like that now, you are going to do nothing but worry yourself sick. As Ann said, symptoms or the lack of are no way to decide HIV infection.

R
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline cadera

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2006, 07:45:49 pm »
does anybody know any free anonymous testing facilities in nyc ?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2006, 08:00:10 pm »
cadera,

Go to the HIV testing center database, enter your zip code and specify what sort of facility you're looking for.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline cadera

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2006, 01:12:04 pm »
hi thank you for the testing location information it was a great source. when do you guys think I should get my first test at 22 days or like in a month. I have been reading 6 weeks is a very good indication of final results.

I am getting to close to the end of my 11th day I know its very early right now according to what I read in the forums and how I have been informed in this great forum.
by the way is weakness or feeling a bit empty could be a symptom I feel like that today I am really sorry I know i should not be looking at the world through an hiv lens but i am a bit nervous.

Also I had sex with the same women the night before this time protected vaginal but unprotected oral sex. she gave me a blowjob for a long time.

does this incident reopens my window again starting from day 1?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2006, 01:44:27 pm »
6 weeks will give you an idea. The conclusive test is 13 weeks after last unprotected sex.

Offline cadera

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2006, 03:53:50 pm »
should i be concerned about my unprotected oral sex I had just 2 days ago. in the forum i read its just a risk in theory and nothing has really been documented in the history through a woman giving a man oral unprotected sex. can i rely on this info and still keep my window count day since the day ihad my unprotected vaginal sex (insertive). I am male, not circumsised

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2006, 07:14:17 pm »
Receiving a blowjob is not a risk. You do not have to restart your count down till your conclusive test.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 04:58:39 am by RapidRod »

Offline cadera

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2006, 08:35:39 pm »
i am sorry did not quite get it so i dont have to restart my count down sicne blowjob is not a risk ? i am still counting from my last unprotected vaginal insertive experience

thank u all for your support i try to keep my self busy and hang out with a lot of friends i hope this time goes by fast and i get through this one ok i learned a lot

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2006, 05:12:01 am »
cadera,

No, you don't need to figure the blowjob into your window period.

I hope you have been screened for the other sexually transmitted infections before you allowed someone to give you a blowjob. The risk here isn't to your, it's to the other person and not for hiv, but for things like gonorrhea.

You should not test for hiv until the six week point after the unprotected intercourse. You'd be wasting time and money to do it any sooner.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline cadera

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2006, 01:29:09 pm »
Ann,

thanks a lot for your input at least i was able to take that out of my mind. another quick question does it make a differece in terms of the quality of the test if i go to a FREE hiv testing facility or one that I will need to pay for the antibody test. What is the best thing to do. I cant wait for my 6 weeks the come up to go for testing I have a month from today which in normal thinking is not too much but soemtimes anxiety takes over my body and get a bit of temperature and think its symptoms always.

thank you for you all for your support

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2006, 01:34:21 pm »
cadera,

There's no quality difference between free tests and ones you pay for yourself.

If you're going for a free test, wait for six weeks rather than waste resources. You might not pay for the tests, but someone does. Wait until the appropriate time.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline cadera

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2006, 08:12:04 pm »
what do u think about the p24 test? is the RNA test approved diagnostic test for early detection?

Offline cadera

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2006, 08:31:46 pm »
i read a post of a person 53 male shouldahveknown i think is his screenname.  how would the experts in this forum describe the fact that he is negative after being exposed to hiv that many times unprotected.

I am asking this question somehow toe ase my mind i know i ahve to to go with my results. as u will read in my thread my exposure was about 10 minutes on and off with no cuts or sores on my penis. sorry to be graphical a bit.

do u think that even if the person was hiv positive i still have the chance being negative . i really dont know if the person is hiv or not, i asked meaning stds and she said i am safe and alll that but as u said people dont know.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2006, 09:26:07 pm »
Just lucky.

Offline cadera

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2006, 09:33:10 pm »
i understand. could somebody please explain what really happens how hiv virus makes its way in through healthy skin ? like the penis? that are the possibilities.

I am really scared at this point now...do u guys think a pcr might be beneficial in my case???

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2006, 09:36:17 pm »
A PCR test is NEVER beneficial. HIV doesn't make it's way through, as you put it, "Healthy Skin."

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2006, 09:42:41 pm »
PCR is not needed in this case. HIV does also not pass through intact skin. The tip of the penis contains an opening that is not really skin, not like the skin on your penis. It is a mucus membrane like the inside of your mouth. This layer contains cells that help guard against invading pathogens. These cells can be infected by HIV. However, the surface area on the tip of the penis is small and the chances of infection is actually low. If the person you have sex with has a high viral load, there is more virus in their sexual fluids, so this can increase the chances of infection.

Let me say this, HIV transmission does not ALWAYS occur if this membrane is bathed in sexual fluids. In fact for a man it is unlikely. The longer and more frequent the exposure, the more likely transmission is. If you have an existing STD this can make it more likely - as is common in developing countries.

Knowing how HIV is transmitted is not likely to help you relax, trust me my experience on this forum is that the more we explain about HIV the more you worry. You do need to test, because you are sexually active and have had unprotected sex, but the chances of you testing positive is still low. Be responsible with your sexual life and use a condom from now on, but I am not overly worried by your situation - even though you might be.

R

NOTE IN EDIT. Although your penis contains a membrane that I said is "like the inside of your mouth" this doesn't make oral sex as risky as penetrative sex. Saliva contains antivirals and experience with HIV has shown that oral sex is a very low risk activity.
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline cadera

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2006, 10:42:32 pm »
Hivworker,

thank you sooo much for your feedback. u seem to be not only experienced in this forum but also like a scientist in this field about hiv. I dont have any stds that I know of i got tested for many of them before and got negtaive results except my dr had told me that there is an std called HPV that sometimes man has it but does not show any symptoms or can not be tested. could it be possible to give me a case assesment about if i might have contracetd hpv what my chances are of getting hiv. are they a lot more? how do the chances change? i really would like to know all about this tiem to really be more informed in the future about stds and my sexual life.

by the way i was talking tthe person i had unprotected sex with and asked ehr when she got tested and said in the last 6 months also mentioning that i should not worry about this. she also said she will retest in a few days for me. it seems like she is a person that has been tested before and at least aware of stds.

sorry i am posting on the forum talking to my self i apologise .

Offline cadera

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2006, 04:27:49 pm »
Hi everyone,

I get chils and headaches here and there some days? could this be a symptom never had this happen to be before. I feel like body balance is gettting messed up lately

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2006, 05:42:18 pm »
More than likely NO. Symptoms usually start sometime between 2-4 weeks if they are going to happen at all.

Offline cadera

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2006, 06:55:15 pm »
well i am just going into my 2 weeks today. one more questions if symptoms happen is it like it will put u to bed for a few days or they all like really light and come and go

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2006, 07:39:44 pm »
Symptoms if you have them at all, come on all at once and leave all at once. You may have what you call a mild case like the flu or a major case like being put in the hospital. Most people don't have them to where they notice to begin with.

Offline cadera

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2006, 10:17:43 pm »
thanks for the response rapiddrop. I am really freaked right now ecause I am really out of it today i ate had drinks with salt all that to fix my balance sugar level all that but nothing really helped.

i am on day 14 now.

i am trying to get the girl sex with to get tested she last said she got tested in the last six months really meaning it and telling me honestly i dont think there is nothing for u to worry about but what u guys say makes more sense go with your own results.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2006, 03:10:11 am »
Forget about getting the girl to test. Her results wouldn't help you anyway. Wait out your thirteen weeks and be tested.

Offline cadera

« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2006, 07:57:46 pm »
i dont know how time is gonna go by anyway today i feel a bi better but still have this slight dizziness in my head which could be that my body is trying to produce the antibodies to fight with hiv. i am on day 14 which is the window for symptoms.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2006, 08:02:53 pm »
The window period is on average 22 days. Your body would not be developing antibodies this early.

Offline cadera

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2006, 08:04:23 pm »
do u think testing on 22 days worth it ? like as a good sign or is it waste of time?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2006, 08:06:30 pm »
Waste of time and money. Test at your 12/13 week and get a conclusive test.

Offline cadera

« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2006, 08:15:29 pm »
in your experiences whats the likelyhood of getting infected from a woman who has hiv through a shot uprotecetd intercourse like 10 mintues which was on an off. why is it that tramissionf rom femail to male is more difficult i dont really understand it or have enough knowledge

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2006, 08:32:51 pm »
To gain more knowledge read the "Welcome" thread. It will answer your questions and you gain more knowledge than having me explain it.

Offline cadera

« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2006, 09:46:44 pm »
what are the ulcerative stds that play role on hiv tranmission also I am dong some extensinve research now about stds and all that is hpv a risk increasing std i have been reseaching a lot for the last 2 horus and this is one of my questions hpv as i read is an extremely commmon std in usa

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2006, 04:29:13 am »
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=10448335 Read until your hearts content. NOTE: Studies are still ongoing in reference to STD influences on HIV infection and are not conclusive.

Offline cadera

« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2006, 12:45:39 pm »
thanks for you reply.

I will keep u all posted with my results. thank you so much for all of your support. u really have been an amazing help hopefully my results will turn neg because i ahve really learned my lesson from this for sure

Offline cadera

« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2006, 05:03:21 pm »
I just found some bumbs that are red color inside my throat right after my tongue. could this be a indication of HIV infection????  they dont look normal and it feels like they have been multiplying themselves day by day

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2006, 05:35:08 pm »
You all ready know signs and symptoms are unreliable in HIV diagnoses. You need to wait on your 13 week test result.

Offline cadera

« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2006, 01:02:23 pm »
Hi

So i kind of did what i was not told to do in the forum but could not helpt it. I took a PCR DNA test for hiv at my 15th day after exposure through Quest Diagnostics(any ideas about this lab) and it came back negative what do you think. how good of a sign is this ???? thanks

Offline cadera

« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2006, 05:07:26 pm »
any opinions????

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2006, 07:45:48 pm »
Cad,

You wasted your money. A fifteen day hiv test - no matter what sort - is far from conclusive. It is encouraging, but nothing more.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline cadera

« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2006, 09:23:01 am »
i know its a bit early even for a hiv pcr dna but still it might be a good sign any more opinions?

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.