Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:13:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 354
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 315
Total: 317

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Rough road ahead...  (Read 10147 times)

Offline skeebo1969

Rough road ahead...
« on: January 27, 2016, 07:23:24 pm »

My wife has decided she is "done".  I saw it coming, she had a fling with a coworker about 6 months ago.  It's going to be a rough road ahead.... I make too much for med assistance.  I am kind of lost right now.. not real sure how I will pull this off.

It's not my lowest point in life, but I feel blindsided none the less.

I hate the feelings that come with a breakup... it hurts real bad.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
Re: Rough road ahead...
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 07:39:52 pm »
Sorry to hear that... I've been there (although pre diagnosis) and it is massively rough.

Putting the HIV stuff to one side, there is a forum called 'Talk About Marriage' which I found fairly helpful when going through a similar thing, and they had some really good coping strategies on there.
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Offline Robert

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 01:47:44 am »
skeebo.

this really does hurt. I logged on tonight for the first time in a long time and the first post I read is yours. Didn't bother with the rest. Some other time. But, yeah, this hurts so much. You know I'll help anyway I can. Don't worry about the meds. We'll help you with that. Right now just stay close with family, friends and co-workers....they all love you and you know it....and they'll help you get through it.And I'll do whatever I can to help here from the far reaches of the NW.

Peace.  \/
            |                           

Offline zach

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 03:57:42 am »
divorce is one of the most painful things we do to each other

destroys everyone it touches

« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 04:02:31 am by zach »

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 06:28:43 am »
Skeebo, I am so, so sorry to read this news. I don't know how you feel about counselors but maybe you could talk with one?  Unless  you have other coping strategies you use.  I know some people don't believe in getting counseling.  But it really can help.

If you're worried about how to get your meds, get a hold of the nearest ASO.  They should be able to help you. 

Please take care of yourself.  Keep in touch, you have a lot of support here.  You're in my thoughts.

Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 10:07:54 am »
Skeebo,

Am also so sorry to read this.

Please let me know if you need to talk.

OT
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 03:35:38 pm »
I'm sorry to hear this.  I will be thinking about ya buddy, for whatever that's worth.  Keep in touch here about what feelings and issues you feel would help discussing. 

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 04:30:40 pm »
Sorry you're going through this now.  Breakups are always hard.  I know it's hard to see it while you're going through it,  but it will be easier with time.  Never feels that way when you're in the middle of it though.

I wouldn't worry about the meds.  There is always a way to get them.  You may have to jump through some hoops but you'll get them somehow.

Are you still in FL?
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 06:21:23 pm »

Since I've been working I've realized something, I am not a very good person.  I always thought it was everyone else, but it's become very apparent, it's me.  I've succeeded in repairing the damage at work, being nicer to people etc..

But I boil inside.... and I never thought, or was just to stupid to realize my wife needed more from me.  A part of me is proud of her, she is so successful.

I'm more like dead weight to her...

We just bought a house together.   She wants to put together a post nuptial agreement, she'll keep me on her insurance and supply my medicine she says.

I should be content with this type of arrangement.  However, the hurt inside makes me unsure.  This can't go on forever, it's not realistic.  If she meets a new man, he won't be too cool with this.

I do know this though.. and it's that fucked up Thomass' thinking.  Her ex got out of prison recently and lives in the same city as us.  It makes me wonder, because it just seemed to come out of the blue.

Why am I doing this?

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 06:26:57 pm »
skeebo.

this really does hurt. I logged on tonight for the first time in a long time and the first post I read is yours. Didn't bother with the rest. Some other time. But, yeah, this hurts so much. You know I'll help anyway I can. Don't worry about the meds. We'll help you with that. Right now just stay close with family, friends and co-workers....they all love you and you know it....and they'll help you get through it.And I'll do whatever I can to help here from the far reaches of the NW.

Peace.  \/
            |                         

Hey Robert, I really appreciate your kind words.  You've always been there for me, and I am not so sure I am deserving of such a good person (like you) in my corner.

My song:

https://youtu.be/DvL01Y3Qpfs

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 06:34:22 pm »
Sorry you're going through this now.  Breakups are always hard.  I know it's hard to see it while you're going through it,  but it will be easier with time.  Never feels that way when you're in the middle of it though.

I wouldn't worry about the meds.  There is always a way to get them.  You may have to jump through some hoops but you'll get them somehow.

Are you still in FL?

You'd think with as many breakups as I have had, I would be better with this.    I am still in Florida, and always remember as long as I am here the medical marijuana bill will not pass.

I still have a few jokes in me.

I could really use some good stuff right about now....

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 11:35:55 pm »
Hey Skeebo--

Sending imaginary wafts of good stuff your way, but the really good stuff?? It's in your writing and the support shown here.

Try to steer away from self-shredding --- and I'm with Betty, little bit of counseling can go a very long way.

Em

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 02:04:56 pm »
Hey Skeebo--

Sending imaginary wafts of good stuff your way, but the really good stuff?? It's in your writing and the support shown here.

Try to steer away from self-shredding --- and I'm with Betty, little bit of counseling can go a very long way.

Em

I don't mean to self shred, but I realize she has a side in this too. 

I'd be in denial if I ever stated she'd be worse off without me.  I do need counseling but will probably never make the effort to get it.

Not to cool when you have kids.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2016, 07:59:29 am »
I have a kid, and grandkids and I've gotten counseling despite this. It's been a while, but it really did help. 

I have figured out, especially since parents passed away, that the only person I really can count on to make things happen is myself.  I do have people who will help me along the way, but I have to play the main role in changing whatever I think needs changed.

Don't be too hard on yourself right now.  If you believe you're "not a very good person," (though you shouldn't label yourself as that), you need to decide why that is and then how you can change that.

Don't play into the "what if's", especially what you think may be going on in your wife's head. You said her ex is getting out of jail at this time, but you can't be sure this is her reason to end the relationship.  If you have a nagging feeling you can't shake about this, bring it up with her.  But don't play the guessing game.

We're here to support you, so please continue to post.  And please take care of yourself, and be good to yourself.

Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2016, 08:51:21 am »
Im so sorry Thomas … wish I had some magic words to make you feel better, just know you will be in my thoughts. Im late to this thread … just moved and have been sick.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2016, 11:12:30 am »
Hey skeebo,
Sorry your going through this also, the thought of loosing your insurance doesn't help. Laws vary state to state.  Your wife may be required to keep paying your health insurance by law whether she or the new man in her life likes it or not .

Most all relationships have one or the other that has more income at one point or another. Don't sell yourself so short.  Betty has given some good advise , be good to yourself.

Best , Wade
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2016, 11:16:53 am »

I do know this though.. and it's that fucked up Thomass' thinking.  Her ex got out of prison recently and lives in the same city as us.  It makes me wonder, because it just seemed to come out of the blue.

Why am I doing this?

She sounds somewhat kind and human about negotiating finances and the insurance and all. However the next tibit is pretty twisted and I'm sorry for that. 

I will say coming out of the blue is sometimes better than a long long long should we/shouldn't we breaking up process.

Keep optimistic about the future. If you've had many experiences with breaking up, means you know how to start new relationships, too!
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2016, 11:19:32 am »
Hey Skeebo

I wanted to check back in. Again, I'm with Betty. 

I have a kid and she knows I use counseling.

If it helps me to do better, be better, then I will affect her life favorably, too.

Kids are way cooler about who we are than we are about ourselves.

Of that much, I'm convinced. The less I hide and the more I appropriately share, the more credibility I have. It helps her to be more open with me as a side benefit.

Em

Offline britchick

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2016, 04:11:07 pm »
Skeebo,

I'm so sorry about what has happened to you.You might not realise it but you have already taken the first step by ''talking'' on the board.....take it at your own pace and..you are not a bad person at all....please don't be so down on yourself...you can work through this and there are lots of people here who care about you.

britchickxx

Offline harleymc

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2016, 06:17:24 pm »
Sorry to hear about your emotionally tough time.
 My 2 cents worth:

There are tow types of counseling to consider, stuff just for you, and couple counseling.

the couple counseling may be (or maybe not) too late to save your marriage, but if you are to separate it might ease that separation. You will need to talk to your wife and a neutral party can help that process.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2016, 07:35:25 pm »

Thanks everyone who has taken the time to respond.  I really appreciate it.  I'll never fully understand how two people who have said they loved each other can become so heartless.

I thought I was doing so much better.   

I am beginning to realize the love was gone a long time ago for her.  I think a part of me is finally starting to realize it's over. 

It really hurts.

And, work is just  treacherous...I want to call out sick every morning.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2016, 08:54:06 pm »
Make sure to get enough nutrition, sleep and walking. ( meditation is well worth its simple pursuit ).
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 08:57:32 pm by emeraldize »

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2016, 07:18:17 pm »

Well, we talked today.

She told me she fell out of love years ago.   Funny, I never saw it.  It hit me right in the heart when she told me that.  Why go through the fiasco of buying a house together, which we did just two months ago?

I feel very bitter.    I know I am bitching way too much about this......... my thoughts are not good.   

Offline mitch777

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2016, 08:01:30 pm »
Thomas,

The pain of not recognizing your wife's feelings is not as uncommon as you may think. I know it hurts. Believe me.

You can bitch all you want here but I agree with the therapy idea. I'm there myself. Maybe not for the exact reasons that you are facing but not far off either. People change and sometimes it is difficult to understand why. Time and emotions slide by without resolutions.

I just know you from here as a kind hearted open person who deserves a life of happiness going forward. I know you can make that work.

All I have to offer is a big hug. A really big hug.

Mark
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2016, 10:20:21 pm »

I know I am bitching way too much about this......... my thoughts are not good.   

Actually, I think you've been quite measured considering the circumstances.  You have every right to be upset.   As far as bitching,  let it rip.  You'll probably feel better.

With all that's going on, I'm sure the last thing you feel like doing is finding a therapist,  but I'll echo what others have said - it really helps.  I had an epic breakup 13 years ago,  and I don't think I could have made it through without therapy.  This is a big change in your life and having someone to help guide you through it can be invaluable.

Until then, known that lots of people here care about you,  myself included.  Things will get better, and you will be happy again.

Sending positive thoughts your way.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2016, 11:11:50 pm »
Im glad you are here, so don’t you dare apologize. If we were not here for you during an awful time like this we couldn’t call ourselves a friend.

A break up like you are describing was the most painful time in my life and believe you me I have had some terrible times. I wont offer platitudes other than we are here for you. 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2016, 06:39:17 am »
Don't be concerned about bitching too much, I don't think you're bitching near enough.  Go ahead and let it out.  You're going through so much emotionally, please continue to communicate with us and lean on us anytime you need to.  You are loved and wanted here.

Betty

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2016, 12:50:58 pm »
Thomas,

The pain of not recognizing your wife's feelings is not as uncommon as you may think. I know it hurts. Believe me.

You can bitch all you want here but I agree with the therapy idea. I'm there myself. Maybe not for the exact reasons that you are facing but not far off either. People change and sometimes it is difficult to understand why. Time and emotions slide by without resolutions.

I just know you from here as a kind hearted open person who deserves a life of happiness going forward. I know you can make that work.

All I have to offer is a big hug. A really big hug.

Mark

Thanks Mitch, I really appreciate the kind words and hugs.

I saw her yesterday at our daughter's flag football game.  I really wanted to simply watch my daughter's game and cheer her on, while showing her mommy and daddy can still sit together.  I realize now this might be too soon to do so.

My wife made these comments, like "oh I'm trying to lose weight and the pounds won't come off fast enough!" and telling me she went out with a female friend the night before.

I don't need to hear this stuff.   It hurts.  When I made it back home I felt emotionally drained from having to bite my tongue.   I had to lay down and take a nap, of course, it was her who woke me up.  She came into the house like a whirlwind wanting to gather up all our W2 forms for taxes, and left with a cheerful goodbye.

It felt so good seeing her so happy...

These constant little stingers from her hurt.  I am fearful, and very afraid , because I think my wife is doing so much so fast that it's going to become something I can never forgive.  Breaking my trust is a big deal for me.  I'm not talking about sleeping with someone behind my back type trust either. 

Trust, in the way of:  I've got your back no matter what.   I doubt this very much right now.  I don't think that is something I am going to be able to get back.  At 47, why should I simply throw my life to the wind?  I'm worried that if she changes her mind about this I may not be able to.

What then?  Will she dangle healthcare and meds above my head?  She's done it before.

I guess I just wrote a laundry list of things to bring up with a therapist.  I want my little girl seeing her daddy not so sad anymore.  She caught me talking to myself the other day.....  I don't remember what I was saying but I think I was having a full on conversation with myself.  And, she asked, "Daddy are you talking to yourself?".

It was obviously very embarrassing.  We don't lie to each other so I had to admit I was.

I haven't cried yet today, but just typing that caused tears to well up... Okay I'm crying now.

Actually, I think you've been quite measured considering the circumstances.  You have every right to be upset.   As far as bitching,  let it rip.  You'll probably feel better.

With all that's going on, I'm sure the last thing you feel like doing is finding a therapist,  but I'll echo what others have said - it really helps.  I had an epic breakup 13 years ago,  and I don't think I could have made it through without therapy.  This is a big change in your life and having someone to help guide you through it can be invaluable.

Until then, known that lots of people here care about you,  myself included.  Things will get better, and you will be happy again.

Sending positive thoughts your way.

Thanks so much.   I will be so happy when I get to that point where I stop thinking about this.  I know it takes time.

Im glad you are here, so don’t you dare apologize. If we were not here for you during an awful time like this we couldn’t call ourselves a friend.

A break up like you are describing was the most painful time in my life and believe you me I have had some terrible times. I wont offer platitudes other than we are here for you. 

Thanks Jeff, I truly appreciate your shoulder brother.

Don't be concerned about bitching too much, I don't think you're bitching near enough.  Go ahead and let it out.  You're going through so much emotionally, please continue to communicate with us and lean on us anytime you need to.  You are loved and wanted here.

Betty

Thanks Betty.

When I initially read your comment (the day after you posted it), I cried like a baby.  Every time I came back to respond in the days after I cried more.   I cry now... 

I know in time, I will be alright.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 12:58:40 pm by skeebo1969 »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2016, 01:22:50 pm »
When you live along time there is not much you cant recognize in some ways large or small that other people are going through … your comments on your wife and how she is cheerfully moving on and sharing it with you hits home for me.

When I was confronted with the same situation my first impulse was to stuff my feelings out of pride and act like it didn’t matter when in fact I was dying inside. I  stewed on it for days and finally had a rational conversation and told him I realized that he had moved on already but because it was new to me to please try and understand how what seems like nothing to you is in fact very hurtful to me. I guess I am saying communication is hard enough when going through divorces that if you don’t set some boundaries early on it only gets worse before it gets better.

That part of my life and perhaps in yours is a point where you may not get a do over on how you handle and react to all the changes and pain. I am a man of few regrets but I would give any thing to go back and do a few things differently.

Your statements on talking to a therapist is wonderful to hear, wish I had done that during my breakup. I didn’t have kids watching every move I made so I really do get it why your situation and the steps you take to accept things with honesty and dignity that you cant change is crucial and so very important to you. 

You have been on my mind today and reading your words is comforting … I just want to know you are dealing with things,  and I want you to know its important to us that you share it.   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2016, 03:40:59 pm »

"Love is free range and can be found roaming anywhere."

Skeebo,

So sorry to read the latest on your family struggles.

I am also familiar with a breakup, the sadness, loss, and lingering emotional
attachment.

I agree with seeing a therapist to help you navigate through it all.

Several hopeful things caught my attention that may help as you work through all of this:

1) Your wife wants to assist with your medical costs.  This displays an act of human decency. You were there as she attained the successes in her life.

2) Despite what you are going through with her, you noted how pleased you were to see your wife personally engaged with her life.  That also shows your display of human decency coupled with love.

3) You noted the pride in seeing your child in a sports activity.  Your child, the product of you and your wife, expressed concern for you.  This shows your child's human decency and that her mind has not been poisoned against you.

4) You are willing to examine yourself and the situations and work through it all despite the pain and anguish.

5) You have people here on the Boards who really care about you and can relate to what you are going through.

I wish you the very best as you find the inner strength and come through this knowing we care about you.

((((((Hugs))))))

OT

« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 03:49:33 pm by OneTampa »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2016, 04:17:57 pm »
I wrote and rewrote a reply several times during the past few days, nothing i wrote seems or feels like the right thing to say.

What I learned from my divorce was to seek support, not to engage or react to what my ex wife was saying/doing. (Easier said than done I know) And in the end i decided to focus on just being a better father for my kids, and to worry less about her. I simple suck at being a husband but i'm a good dad.

Anyhow just really wanted to wish you all the best during this.

Jim
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 04:24:57 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Robert

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2016, 09:13:19 pm »
Thomas.

So you've decided your not a good person.

This is simply not true. I've known my share of not very good people, and, you, Skeebo, are not one of them. Trust me on this. It's simply not true.

And you have nothing to be proud of?

Didn't your daughter just graduate from college? Didn't I see some pictures of that recently? And didn't I also see some pictures of her that would qualify for the cover of SI? And you're young daughter is out on the pitch kicking ass. Maybe there's more. I'm not sure. But that's a lot to be proud of right there. More than I've got, that's for sure (I do have the one nephew who is thoroughly RAsta. so that counts for something. And 4 nieces working hard at being terrific mothers.)

What your wife needs is right there in front of her. She's just forgotten that it's there. It's not your thinking that's fucked up here. Hey, get this. Communication is a 2 way street. (solid, uh?) You just bought a house? What's that all about? What was she thinking? She wasn't obviously. And she wants to keep you hanging with some sort of 'post' nuptial agreement. I don't think she's really thought any of this out. Sounds like some sort of mid-life crisis to me.

Keep an open mind. Don't take the fall for this. You've done nothing wrong.Don't make any rash decisions or judgements. Just go with it for awhile and see where it takes you. Stay loose and focus on work and your daughter. You're certainly no dead weight. You're Reggie Jackson. The straw that stirs the drink. She's just forgotten it.   

If you think it's safe to send you some Blue Dream (mike's favorite) let me know. I can get it just down the street at our local head shop.

love my man...robt

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2016, 12:44:47 pm »
When you live along time there is not much you cant recognize in some ways large or small that other people are going through … your comments on your wife and how she is cheerfully moving on and sharing it with you hits home for me.

When I was confronted with the same situation my first impulse was to stuff my feelings out of pride and act like it didn’t matter when in fact I was dying inside. I  stewed on it for days and finally had a rational conversation and told him I realized that he had moved on already but because it was new to me to please try and understand how what seems like nothing to you is in fact very hurtful to me. I guess I am saying communication is hard enough when going through divorces that if you don’t set some boundaries early on it only gets worse before it gets better.

That part of my life and perhaps in yours is a point where you may not get a do over on how you handle and react to all the changes and pain. I am a man of few regrets but I would give any thing to go back and do a few things differently.

Your statements on talking to a therapist is wonderful to hear, wish I had done that during my breakup. I didn’t have kids watching every move I made so I really do get it why your situation and the steps you take to accept things with honesty and dignity that you cant change is crucial and so very important to you. 

You have been on my mind today and reading your words is comforting … I just want to know you are dealing with things,  and I want you to know its important to us that you share it.   

Thanks Jeff.  I am not going to lie, I've been having a few drinks before bed every night.  I switch between hurt and anger all day long, and I am emotionally drained.   My first therapist appointment is tomorrow after work, it's be enough of a delay on my part.

"Love is free range and can be found roaming anywhere."

Skeebo,

So sorry to read the latest on your family struggles.

I am also familiar with a breakup, the sadness, loss, and lingering emotional
attachment.

I agree with seeing a therapist to help you navigate through it all.

Several hopeful things caught my attention that may help as you work through all of this:

1) Your wife wants to assist with your medical costs.  This displays an act of human decency. You were there as she attained the successes in her life.

2) Despite what you are going through with her, you noted how pleased you were to see your wife personally engaged with her life.  That also shows your display of human decency coupled with love.

3) You noted the pride in seeing your child in a sports activity.  Your child, the product of you and your wife, expressed concern for you.  This shows your child's human decency and that her mind has not been poisoned against you.

4) You are willing to examine yourself and the situations and work through it all despite the pain and anguish.

5) You have people here on the Boards who really care about you and can relate to what you are going through.

I wish you the very best as you find the inner strength and come through this knowing we care about you.

((((((Hugs))))))

OT

Thanks OT.

I wrote and rewrote a reply several times during the past few days, nothing i wrote seems or feels like the right thing to say.

What I learned from my divorce was to seek support, not to engage or react to what my ex wife was saying/doing. (Easier said than done I know) And in the end i decided to focus on just being a better father for my kids, and to worry less about her. I simple suck at being a husband but i'm a good dad.

Anyhow just really wanted to wish you all the best during this.

Jim

It's one of those situations where all the love and support from others can simply roll off your back while you are shell shocked by one person.  I've managed to make it to this point, so I've said hell with it, why not stick around and see, "Who moved my Cheese?"

Thomas.

So you've decided your not a good person.

This is simply not true. I've known my share of not very good people, and, you, Skeebo, are not one of them. Trust me on this. It's simply not true.

And you have nothing to be proud of?

Didn't your daughter just graduate from college? Didn't I see some pictures of that recently? And didn't I also see some pictures of her that would qualify for the cover of SI? And you're young daughter is out on the pitch kicking ass. Maybe there's more. I'm not sure. But that's a lot to be proud of right there. More than I've got, that's for sure (I do have the one nephew who is thoroughly RAsta. so that counts for something. And 4 nieces working hard at being terrific mothers.)

What your wife needs is right there in front of her. She's just forgotten that it's there. It's not your thinking that's fucked up here. Hey, get this. Communication is a 2 way street. (solid, uh?) You just bought a house? What's that all about? What was she thinking? She wasn't obviously. And she wants to keep you hanging with some sort of 'post' nuptial agreement. I don't think she's really thought any of this out. Sounds like some sort of mid-life crisis to me.

Keep an open mind. Don't take the fall for this. You've done nothing wrong.Don't make any rash decisions or judgements. Just go with it for awhile and see where it takes you. Stay loose and focus on work and your daughter. You're certainly no dead weight. You're Reggie Jackson. The straw that stirs the drink. She's just forgotten it.   

If you think it's safe to send you some Blue Dream (mike's favorite) let me know. I can get it just down the street at our local head shop.

love my man...robt

Thanks Robert.  Blue Dream?  :)

I've had ample time to think about what her deal is.  Without much communication I am kind of left to my own thoughts. 

Blue dream?

I quit smoking two years ago (cigarettes), and picked it back up.... already back at two packs a day.  I plan on quitting again tomorrow.  At this point I am just trying to not say anything stupid to her, measuring every word and attitude that I may want to explode on her lap.

What good would it do?  Rehashing anything is simply lost on her, and for that reason I just let her be.

I am not so sure it's a good thing.

And Rob, you are right.  I've lost sight of the things that should make me happy.  That beauty you are talking about has been my rock through all this.  I wish I had that gurl's strength.

Tom

Offline ImisstheOldTimes

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2016, 02:43:21 pm »
Hi Skeebo,

I think most people have felt how you are feeling...isolated, alone...and it's no wonder since your grieving, yes those five steps that all people most go through when there is a "death," whether it's physically, emotionally, spiritually, or romantically.  Losing something that you have been used to having around is a hard thing to handle.  Similar to the condolences you gave me almost four years ago...my condolences on your marriage.  Let yourself grieve, there is nothing wrong with it, means you're still capable and love and have much of it to give.

((((Heart felt Hugs))))
Heidi
Life is a BANQUET, and most poor suckers are starving to death!

~Auntie Mame

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.