Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:40:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 791
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 778
Total: 778

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Stribild to Genvoya... Trust the hype?  (Read 6081 times)

Offline astormflocetc

Stribild to Genvoya... Trust the hype?
« on: March 16, 2016, 11:06:45 am »
I've been on Stribild for the past four years and hadn't noticed any harsh side effects except some digestive issues (bad gas). But since everyone is hyping up Genvoya as the "least toxic" option (including all the doctors), saying that it is almost exactly the same drug as Stribild with minor changes that reduce renal and bone toxicity, I decided to switch. Only a few doses in and I'm feeling crazy nausea, fatigue, indigestion, and dizziness. Yesterday, I couldn't focus on anything at a store, had to come home and lay down the rest of the day. When my body becomes this overwhelmed, I start feeling depression. Has anyone else had this kind of experience? Further, it seems that doctors and drug companies have shoddy reputations for pumping up new drugs as "safe" or "more effective" but then later finding out that they were wrong or misleading. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Offline AusShep

Re: Stribild to Genvoya... Trust the hype?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 12:26:58 pm »
You may not notice some of the "Truvada" side effects.  Have you had a bone density scan?  I had osteoporosis at under 50 on Truvada, and I wouldn't have known it without the DEXA scan.  I'm looking forward to the TAF version out in July.  My renal numbers have been middle of the road the last few years, I think they used to be a bit lower, but I trashed all my old med stuff 6ish years ago instead of moving them across the country again.

It's possible any new/updated drug may have side effects, but I think the TAF benefits are good enough that I'd try to stick it out for a while and talk to my dr at my next appointment if you still have side effects, or sooner if they get severe.

Offline astormflocetc

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 04:32:18 pm »
RE. AusShep:

I think it's a matter of relativity. I agree that the benefits, as being described by the doctors and drug companies, seem better than the potential short term side effects. However, I'm still pretty young and all my blood tests show normal functioning. My doctor said he wouldn't even recommend a DEXA scan until I'm 51 (though who knows, I certainly don't trust that at face value but I'm willing to wait it out a bit). It's not worth these side effects, which are close to debilitating.

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 06:21:14 pm »
Sorry you are having problems.

I've never heard any doctor or medical professional describe any HIV medication as "the least toxic".  Let alone all the doctors.  Perhaps you misunderstood.

I recently switch from a regimen that I was having no side effects with to one of the new whiz bang super fabulous drugs, at my Dr's urging, and I started having horrible side effects too.

I gave it 2 months, and when it didn't improve I switched back.  If it ain't broke don't fix it.

You have only been on the new regimen a short time.  Let your Dr know about the side effects.  He may advise you to give it more time.

Good luck.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline AusShep

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 09:01:44 pm »
RE. AusShep:

I think it's a matter of relativity. I agree that the benefits, as being described by the doctors and drug companies, seem better than the potential short term side effects. However, I'm still pretty young and all my blood tests show normal functioning. My doctor said he wouldn't even recommend a DEXA scan until I'm 51 (though who knows, I certainly don't trust that at face value but I'm willing to wait it out a bit). It's not worth these side effects, which are close to debilitating.

From this and your other thread it's clear you have some issues with drug companies, doctors, etc. which Mecch has given you some advice on.  Only you and your dr can decide if you're having drug related issues and should switch back, I'd give it some time.

My point was that all my lab numbers have always been normal for liver, kidneys, cmp, etc. (I do take Lipitor for cholesterol), and I wouldn't have known about the bone loss without a scan.  Every side effect or potential damage does not show up in routine blood work.  My doc said that studies have shown that switching to TAF reverses bone loss similar to treating it, so at least some damage can be undone merely by switching. 

It used to be practice of many providers to get a baseline DEXA scan with follow ups every several years, they're inexpensive and quick and can let you know if you're having issues before you break a hip.  That may have changed, and with TAF, now probably less of a need.

Offline BKKKevin

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 08:58:08 am »
You might also consider that you are experiencing withdrawal from your previous drugs too... Given you are only a few days into a new drug regiment I would give your body time to adjust... But keep us posted... As many of us are considering newer alternatives...

Offline astormflocetc

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 12:46:48 pm »
I've never heard any doctor or medical professional describe any HIV medication as "the least toxic".  Let alone all the doctors.  Perhaps you misunderstood.
You have only been on the new regimen a short time.  Let your Dr know about the side effects.  He may advise you to give it more time.

Nope.. definitely haven't misunderstood... if you do an online search on Stribild vs Genvoya, pretty much all the testimony will say that Genvoya has been released as a less toxic alternative. They even say that it will eventually replace Stribild. You might be getting caught up on my hyperbolic use of the word "all" but that's mostly for effect... of course I can't claim what ALL doctors think. I was commenting more on the "common" knowledge of the subject.

At any rate, I did let my doctor know about the side effects and I have switched back because they weren't worth the hassle for me. I can't afford two months worth of fatigue and the reasons for switching to Genvoya in the first place don't seem to apply to me.

Offline astormflocetc

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 12:52:39 pm »
From this and your other thread it's clear you have some issues with drug companies, doctors, etc. which Mecch has given you some advice on.  Only you and your dr can decide if you're having drug related issues and should switch back, I'd give it some time.

It used to be practice of many providers to get a baseline DEXA scan with follow ups every several years, they're inexpensive and quick and can let you know if you're having issues before you break a hip.  That may have changed, and with TAF, now probably less of a need.

Yes, it's accurate that I have issues with drug companies. I'd say that if you don't, you're naive. But I suppose it could be chalked up to political ideologies: pro capitalisitic, pro elitism vs. pro democracy. But that's for another forum.. I only respond to your comments because you seem to be isolating that particular element of my comments as though it should characterize and possibly invalidate my experience (similar to how mecch did).

As for the DEXA scan, as I said before, my doctor said he wouldn't even call for one until my 50s.

Offline astormflocetc

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 12:55:16 pm »
You might also consider that you are experiencing withdrawal from your previous drugs too... Given you are only a few days into a new drug regiment I would give your body time to adjust... But keep us posted... As many of us are considering newer alternatives...

This is a good point.. I wondered about this too although with the limited information made available on these two drugs, Stribild and Genvoya, it seems that they are so similar that I shouldn't be experiencing withdrawal. In fact, I can see my doctor's face if I were to go to him with that question.. he'd get a cocky little smile and tilt his head and say... "hmm, I don't think so..." lol

Anyway, that's a good thought BKKKevin and I do wonder. For now though, I have switched back.. Wasn't worth the hassle.

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 03:00:11 pm »
It may not have even been related to the drugs. Theres a lot of nasty bugs going around this time of year.
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 06:28:32 pm »
Next time you see your Dr. you should ask him if he can do anything about that massive chip on your shoulder.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2016, 09:06:31 pm »
At any rate, I did let my doctor know about the side effects and I have switched back

Hi Astormflocetc,

I truly hope that the switch back resolves some of the issues you have faced with the new medication and side effects.

if you do an online search on Stribild vs Genvoya, pretty much all the testimony will say that Genvoya has been released as a less toxic alternative. They even say that it will eventually replace Stribild.
I'd say that if you don't, you're naive.
I can't claim what ALL doctors think. I was commenting more on the "common" knowledge of the subject.
But since everyone is hyping up Genvoya as the "least toxic" option (including all the doctors)

Please do not be telling people to go look it up, provide references for health/medical/scientific information when it is not a personal experience being discussed.  Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

Also calling other forum members or suggesting they are "naive" for not sharing your point of view or experience is simply not needed.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.