Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:12:32 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37639
  • Latest: Glassxj
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773168
  • Total Topics: 66331
  • Online Today: 291
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 242
Total: 243

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HAART improves cerebral bloodflow  (Read 3848 times)

Offline wtfimpoz

• Let's make biscuits!
HAART improves cerebral bloodflow
« on: August 04, 2010, 02:00:40 am »
http://www.natap.org/2010/CROI/croi_49.htm

Anyone wanna comment on this?  The study in January showing that our bloodflow was that of someone 20 years older has gotten a huge amount of attention.  This one, not so much.  Does anyone note any glaring experimental omissions, or should we call this another reason to initiate HAART sooner rather than later?

09/01/2009-neg
mid april, 2010, "flu like illness".
06/01/2010-weakly reactive ELISA, indeterminant WB
06/06/2010-reactive ELISA, confirmed positive.

DATE       CD4     %     VL
07/15/10  423     33    88k
08/28/10  489     19    189k
09/06/10-Started ATRIPLA
09/15/10  420     38    1400
11/21/10  517     25    51

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
Re: HAART improves cerebral bloodflow
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 06:19:06 am »
I think this does add more ammunition to the "start meds earlier" camp but still does not definitively answer the question.

For me the take home messages here are 1) starting HAART before too much damage is done is a good idea and 2) exercising is key for anyone but especially for someone with HIV.

Physical activity has been known to improve cerebral blood flow. The brain is an elastic organ so one should take advantage of lifestyle choices that can help improve its function.

I work out pretty regularly but the other day I jogged for the first time in over 25 years! I'm 48 and did 1.66 miles. My thigh muscles hurt the next day but in a good way and right after the jog I felt elated and invigorated. I'm pretty sure my cerebral blood flow must have improved.

I have since then done another 1.66 miles and have been noticing that I'm feeling more mentally sharp.

I realize not everyone can or should jog, it would depend on one's level of cardiovascular health, but some form of exercise is important for everybody.

A 4-year study of the relationship between physical activity and cognition and brain function in subjects aged 62 to 70 years showed that those who were still employed and retirees who exercised regularly had sustained levels of cerebral blood flow and superior performance on general measures of cognition compared with inactive retirees.

LINK:  http://www.artsandopinion.com/2010_v9_n2/barclay.htm
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 09:57:59 am by Inchlingblue »

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 09:20:35 pm »
In my case, not so much :(
Positive since 1985

Offline wtfimpoz

• Let's make biscuits!
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 11:38:55 pm »
In my case, not so much :(

why do you say this?
09/01/2009-neg
mid april, 2010, "flu like illness".
06/01/2010-weakly reactive ELISA, indeterminant WB
06/06/2010-reactive ELISA, confirmed positive.

DATE       CD4     %     VL
07/15/10  423     33    88k
08/28/10  489     19    189k
09/06/10-Started ATRIPLA
09/15/10  420     38    1400
11/21/10  517     25    51

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 12:31:05 am »
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on when to start meds.  This a choice I never got the opportunity to come to, but I like to think I would've started early.  Unless you fall into the elite controller camp the body has demonstrated over and over again that it is unable to handle an HIV infection on its own.  HAART will deal with most of the active infection.  This to me trumps any significant advantage of holding off on meds to the point that I would start medicating as soon as I was infected.  I know that there is a jaded past with the drugs, but I feel that the modern meds are well tolerated.

I have the feeling that if the disease is still around in 30 years the suggestion will be to start medicating as soon as infection occurs.  I'm not a medical professional and feel free to take my opinion for what it is, pure intuition, but I think that holding off on fighting your disease aggressively with modern medicine is folly.  The only time I would tell someone to wait is if they were unsure they could reliably obtain meds due to financial concerns.  The shaky nature of ADAP at the moment is at the forefront of this particular concern.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.