Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:56:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 382
Total: 384

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: testing questions  (Read 16824 times)

Offline rob70

testing questions
« on: July 20, 2006, 05:16:17 pm »
i had a question about testing. I had a 3 and 6 month negative elisa test. When talking with local clinic today the counselor advised he would reccomend a test past the 6 month time! I thought I was over all os this fear. My wife recently found out she was pregnant , I have had an ent doc. diagnose enlarged lymph node on my neck , and I have recently had a pain in my upper thigh near my groin. I just need to know if the 6 month test beyond a shadow of a doubt proves I do not have hiv? Every time I look at my wife it breaks my heart to think of the possibility. My encounter was protected vaginal and unprotected cunnilingus. But aside from the exposure I really need to know when is enough testing enough. I would love to get on with my life and look forward to the birth of our baby instead of fearing the worst.(p.s i had all other tests except for herpes as no signs were evident)

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: testing questions
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 05:26:05 pm »
Well, to start with, your local clinic worker was wrong.

The current testing window is 13 weeks. Not six months, and certainly not more than that. I bet you that had you asked him where he got his information, he would not be able to provide current scientific quantification - because none exists.

Insofar as your situation, cunnilingus is not an HIV risk, and neither is protected penetrative sex. No risk, no need to test for HIV. But your test results are, of course conclusive.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 05:36:27 pm »
Rob, as long as you are certain you have not had any unprotected sex since you received your negative test result then you can forget about any further testing. Your lumps and bumps notwithstanding, you are HIV negative. Period. End of story.

When I read about an HIV counselor handing you that kind of upsetting hooey which has no validity whatsoever it just makes me want to fire his/her ass right out of their job. That was totally wrong and has no basis in HIV science.

No kidding.

Go ahead with your baby plans. HIV is not an issue for you.

If your symptoms persist you should discuss them with your doctor.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline rob70

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 07:07:24 pm »
thanks for your fast replies. its nice to know I am not the only one out there who has a hard time letting go of the fear of tests not being 100% no matter what you hear . It just statred the whole thing all over again when the counselor said he would reccomend another test past the 6 month one. So I guess it is safe to tell the local clinic a follow up test past the 6 month one is not necessary? I just want to make sure I am doing everything I can to make sure my wife and unborn baby are safe. It just tears me apart thimking of what could happen. Thanks for all you do ( it means alot!)

Offline rob70

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 10:36:41 am »
I hate tp ask again but the counselor I had spoke with last week that recomended a follow up test after the 6month negative one had scheduled me for another test today. I guess I am trying to find closure with this , and taking this test today would start it all over again. I just need to know if it is even worth taking another test at 9 months if I already had a negative at 6 months? The testing company i talked to said the test i took about 50% of the time detects hiv2. I am in U.S and my understanding is there have never been any cases where someone aquired it here but in other countries and then diagnosed here. As I said before my wife just found out she is pregnant and I want to make sure I am definately negative. I have had some strange symptoms , but symptoms aside would you recomend not taking this 9 month test and moving on with my life. Thanks in advance for all  that you do. I can not tell you how much it means.

Offline rob70

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 10:57:20 am »
one of the reasons beside the enlarged node is i have had a few flea like bumps here and there . I have no pets so it is kind of weird. Do you think it has any thing to do with hiv? Sorry to sound stupid I just need to know if I should even take this 9 month test today or just move on with my life. Again thanks for all you do if there were not people out there like you ( helping those of us who have no idead) I do not know where we would be.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 11:29:09 am »
Rob,

You don't need further testing and you didn't need further testing after your three month test. Three months is conclusive.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline rob70

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 11:52:44 am »
Thanks, Ann. So you would say taking the 9 month test today after a 6 month negative pointless? i just need to make sure 100% without a shadow of a doubt. Thanks again.

Offline rob70

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 01:11:23 pm »
I really need some advice i am due to be at my test in a little over an hour. The things that concern me are my headaches, swollen node in my neck , and over the past wee I have noticed a sort of rash on the inside of my bicep area , is not red or itchy just very,very small white bumps. Any advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 04:22:08 pm »
Rob,

Yes.  Following a 6 month negative with a 9 month test is a waste of time, money, and resources.

A negative test at least 13 weeks post exposure is conclusive.

Morgan
Morgan Landers

Offline rob70

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2006, 05:58:02 pm »
I had the rapid test yesterday anyway just to make sure. It was negative. The counselor still told me it had to be 6 months past potential exposure. When I asked him why 6 and not 3 as cdc states as conclusive he simply said just to make sure . Any way it is funny how a lot of the symptoms I had seem to have almost disapeared. It is a strange think what guilt and anxiety can do to you. Now i am trying to stay of the internet so i do not get spooked again. Why do some of us continue looking for someone out there to validate our irrational fears? Thanks for the help , it was much appreciated! As Joe D said " keep on keeping on"

Offline rob70

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2006, 01:03:10 pm »
I had just one question concerning tests. is the rapid test (where they use blood sample) tests for hiv 1 and 2? Or should it not even be a concern being in the U.S? Also would there be any riks at all with recieving protected oral(fellatio)? I just want to put this once and for all behind me. Thanks again for all you do.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2006, 01:21:49 pm »
Rob,

Getting an UNprotected blowjob isn't a risk for infection, and a protected blowjob certainly isn't either. If this is what you've been testing over, you've been wasting your time and money.

You've tested conclusively negative for hiv. Period.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline rob70

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2006, 01:37:58 pm »
Ann, thanks for your reply. No I was not testing over protected bj. My main question was concerning the rapid test ( where they use blood) to see if you knew whether or not it test for 1and2/ And if being in the U.S I should even be concerned with this?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2006, 03:02:06 pm »
I guess you are not understanding what they have said to you. You wasn't at risk, you didn't need to test and HIV 1 and 2 was not a concern.

Offline rob70

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2006, 04:15:35 pm »
just one more question regarding cunniligus. Is there a risk in performing cunniligus in relation to hiv? There seems to be a lot of conflicting info on the topic. Thanks.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2006, 04:25:29 pm »
Not for HIV, but there is some risk for STDs.

Offline rob70

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2006, 10:43:41 am »
I just wanted to thank everyone for their advice and reassurance. I just want to make sure after my 9 month neg test there is no chance whatsoever of it being a false positive. With my wife being pregnant there is so much at risk. I want this to be my last post and I no longer want to search the internet over and over looking for reasons to doubt what i have been told, but as of now I am scared to have intimate relations with my wife. So I guess what I am asking is regardless of symptoms with my 9 month test would you say there is no way I had a false neg. test? I also tested with pcr dna test at 2 weeks and 4 weeks.  3,6,9 month elisa testing. Thanks for all you do , it surely means alot for people in my situation who just do not know that much about this disease.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2006, 10:52:03 am »
Rob,

Your nine month test result is conclusive. Stop fretting and stop searching the web. Go and support your wife. Be intimate. Whatever. You don't have HIV. I promise. Pinky swear!

Don't make me come back there and sort you out. ;)

MtD

Offline rob70

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2006, 03:28:41 pm »
I just wanted to say good bye , as i think when I keep checking the forums it makes my fears come back all over again . One parting question is there any chance after 2 week pcr dna , 4 week pcr dna , 3,6,9 month elisa test all being negative , but some how still having hiv? I mean is 150% safe to say I do not have it , regardless of symptoms? Thanks in advance for all you do , god bless.

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2006, 03:31:05 pm »
Rob,

You are about as hiv negative as it gets.   :)

Morgan
Morgan Landers

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2006, 03:33:03 pm »
And before you ask, yes, that's regardless of any symptoms you may be experiencing.

Morgan Landers

Offline rob70

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2006, 06:29:20 pm »
i just wanted to say good bye to everyone , and thank you for your support and understanding. I want some closure , and to be able to get on with my life , and be able to enjoy the fact that my wife is pregnant and be able to experience all the joys that come with having a baby. I just want to make sure I have done everything I possibly can to determine my hiv results. With so much at stake I hope you understand my fear. I guess i just need to know that i am definately negative after the results i have had , and there is no chance the results could be false. Another question I had is would having a persistant dry throat , and I have also develped some wart like bumps on my fingers and hands be any kind of a sign in relation to hiv? Hopefully this will be my last post as I am hoping to move forward with my life and try to deal with the guilt of what I have done , and get past it. As many replies as I could get would be greatly appreciated . I wish every one of you well.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2006, 07:37:27 pm »
Rob,

You are absolutely hiv negative.

Enjoy the baby.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline rob70

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2006, 04:31:42 pm »
famous last words "this is my last post" I just needed final closure that a 9 month negative tes( rapid blood test) is 100% fool proof and that there is no way these 3,6,9 month test could be falsely negative. Thanks in advance for your understanding.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2006, 04:36:08 pm »
You could have stopped with your first test.

Offline rob70

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2006, 01:22:20 pm »
this is it after this I am no longer just going to browse the site because doing so makes things worse. Just for my own reassurance, is there any chance , and i mean even the smallest chance after a 3,6, and 9 month test being negative , that i could have had false negatives. The only reason I ask is I have these headaches that will not go away , and weird bumps like itchy flea bites( we do not have pets) . I know sometimes people like me try your patience, and I apologize in advance for that ,all of you have been so helpful and understanding. I just need to know for certain that these test up to 9 months that there is no way they could be false-negative. Thanks again, You all are the best!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2006, 01:50:25 pm »
You are HIV NEGATIVE...PERIOD. Quit doubting your results and move on.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2006, 08:36:03 am »
You are HIV negative. Period. End of story.

Discuss your headache problem with your doctor to make sure any physical origin is considered. Then you might consider seeing a therapist to talk about what is going on. Headaches are often a reflection of a  high tension state, among other things.

Whatever is going on has nothing to do with HIV. No kidding.

Andy Velez

Offline rob70

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2006, 11:44:12 am »
A final moment of clarity. Thanks one and all. You all have helped more than you will ever know. PEACE.

Offline rob70

« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2006, 11:23:46 am »
hey all , I guess I need one or two more questions answered , I have now got cancre sores in my mouth , even with the neg result out to 9 months is it possible to have anything to do with hiv? These weird itchy bumps I keep getting just seem to coincidental to the timing of my incident not to take notice of. Has anyone ever had a positive after 9 months? Thanks in advance for your understanding.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2006, 12:58:34 pm »
Rob,

You do NOT have hiv. If you cannot accept your negative hiv status, please seek the face to face help and support of a mental health care professional. There is nothing more we can do for you here and if you insist on using this forum to wring your hands over your negative status, I will give you a time out to encourage you to get help more appropriate to your needs.

If your cancre sores worries you, see your GP. They have nothing to do with hiv.

You are hiv negative, period, end of story.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline rob70

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2006, 01:11:41 pm »
Hey Guys and gals just a quick question , would sucking on a womans nipples be a risk for any kind of std or hiv? I would assume I would have known if there was breast milk present,but I really did not pay attention.. I also received protected "bj". Is there even a slight risk of aquiring anything from either of these two activities?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2006, 02:20:42 pm »
Rob,

For a grown man, there is no risk whatsoever from breastmilk or sucking nipples. Only babies who feed on nothing but breastmilk are at risk from hiv from breastmilk. Even they are not guaranteed to become infected in this manner.

Getting a blowjob, whether you wear a condom during the act or not, is NOT a risk for hiv infection, period. Not one person has ever become infected with hiv through getting a blowjob and you will not be the first.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline rob70

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2006, 02:32:15 pm »
So no adult has ever gotten hiv from sucking on a womans nipple? I am sorry if I am being stupid, I just did not know if there was a risk for anything in doing this? Thanks,again!

Offline rob70

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2006, 04:45:49 pm »
So I am correct in understanding that no adult has gotten hiv from sucking on a females nipples?or receiving a protected bj? I just need to make sure , as I have not had sex with my wife for a while for fear this could be possible. Thanks for understanding.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2006, 06:09:44 pm »
Rob,

For a grown man, there is no risk whatsoever from breastmilk or sucking nipples. Only babies who feed on nothing but breastmilk are at risk from hiv from breastmilk. Even they are not guaranteed to become infected in this manner.

Getting a blowjob, whether you wear a condom during the act or not, is NOT a risk for hiv infection, period. Not one person has ever become infected with hiv through getting a blowjob and you will not be the first.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline rob70

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2006, 05:11:35 pm »
I know this might make you mad but I needed to ask , I just got back from dermatologist and was told I have folliculitis. I got tested last week and was negative. This test was 50 weeks from initial exposure and ws 17 weeks from second exposure( protected bj and sucking on her breast,nipples) even having this constant dry throat and headaches and now folliculitis , is there any way I could still have hiv? Has anyone ever seroconverted this late or gotten hiv from protected bj or nipple sucking? With my wife due to have our baby in less than two months I just need to be 100% sure.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2006, 06:22:12 pm »
Rob,

You are hiv negative. Period. End of story.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline rob70

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2006, 05:27:39 pm »
Hey Ann, I realize this might make you upset , but I needed to ask. My first possible exposure tested negative out to 49 weeks. That should rule out that exposure 100% correct? My second concern was a protected bj and sucking on a womans nipples. I was tested for this around 6 weeks and then 18 weeks. Wolud this rule out the possibility in this instanse? The only reason I ask is I have had consistent headaches, been diagnosed with folliculitis , and now have weird little wart like bumps on my hands, a swollen node under my ear just above my jaw. I know you all say 3 months is definitive, but when would someone ( a specialists) be able to say with 100% certainty, you do not have hiv? I know you will probably be upset at for asking , but please try to understand what is at stake( with my wife being pregnant).

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2006, 05:44:00 pm »
Rob,

The only person you are upsetting is yourself. Knock it off. You don't have hiv. Nothing you just listed is even a risk for hiv infection and you have conclusive tests that show you are hiv negative.

If you cannot accept your negative status, then it's time to think about getting some counseling for yourself. We've done all we can for you here, the ball is in your court now.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.