Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:17:37 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 682
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 657
Total: 658

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Truvada/Atripla and hair loss  (Read 15195 times)

Offline stlfan

• St. Lucia, Cancun, Houston
Truvada/Atripla and hair loss
« on: March 19, 2009, 01:17:21 pm »
I tested positive and started meds (Truvada/Stocrin) two weeks ago. From what I've read, hair loss is a very rare side effect. Unfortunately it's the only one i've experienced on Truvada (so I should be thankful)...but it's driving me crazy. My hair is falling out at an alarming rate and I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and how it progressed. Will I need to change meds to stop the hair loss? OR if i continue on Truvada, will it fall out and then eventually grow back as my body acclimates to the drugs? My doctor here in the Developing World knows nothing.

Thanks for any comments, suggestions...It's been a rough couple weeks.

Offline freaky_dream

• mmm
Re: Truvada/Atripla and hair loss
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 06:16:02 pm »
You should see your doctor and or dermatologist. The hair loss could be indicative of other diseases such as syphilis, underlying auto immune disorder, nutritional deficiency, or it could be just stressed induced.

Offline stlfan

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 07:03:53 pm »
Thanks for your input. i know it's not syphillis as per blood test. And unfortunately my doctor here in mexico doesn't have any idea. I've read on the Net (the world's most trusted source hahaha) and also here that others have had this problem with Truvada. Granted, I should just be grateful that i've had no other effectos. A dermatologist told me it could be due to the dry skin caused by the drug or by the acute hiv infections i had.

Offline freaky_dream

• mmm
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 07:29:44 pm »
Then the only way to find out definitively is to get a scalp biopsy and have a pathologist rule out the cause or switch your regimen. A scalp biopsy can costs a few hundred dollars here in the United States. Some people get telogen effluvium(sudden loss of hair) a few months after converting. It should grow back in a few months.

Offline clsoca

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 07:58:24 am »
I had this happen to me too. I was not loosing my hair, it stopped growing or grew at a slower rate. My Doc called it "resting hair." He said anytime your body is shocked in some way,  some people will experience temporary hair growth slowdowns. He said in most instances it happens to people who undergo major surgery's or have had major accidents. He said when I went on Atripla (and I have never been on medication before), my body could have experenced a shock causing a slowdown in my hair growth.  He said there has been no research on the connection but he did say my hair growth will resume in 3-6 months. I have not had to cut my hair for two months now, and it is still very short but intact.  Hopes this helps.
10/07 Infected
11/07 Seroconversion
07/08 Tested Poz
07/08 VL 487  CD4 658  (No Meds)
10/08 VL 286  CD4 724  (No Meds)
01/24/09 VL 30,100   CD4 329 CD4 30% (No Meds)
02/06/09 VL 44,000   CD4 367 CD4 36%  Blood Work @ UCLA (No Meds)
02/06/09 VL 44,000   CD4 317 CD4 35% Blood Work @ USC (No Meds)
02/12/09 VL 52,000   CD4 297 CD4 29%
02/12/09  Started Atripla
04/01/09 VL 60  CD4 667   CD4 48%
06-05-09  VL UD CD4 427   CD4 39%

Offline ntouche

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 10:42:15 am »
I am new here and I am trying to find some information, but need help.  I was just told that I have to start medication and I found out that Atripla cost $1,695/month and my health ins. pays nothing.  Where can I get help, my dr is an ass and makes me feel like trash.

Offline freaky_dream

• mmm
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 01:38:14 pm »
If you are in the United States then you would most likely qualify for ADAP since your insurance doesn't cover Atripla. Also you might want to find an ID who specializes in HIV care. Find a local ASO to help you fill out the paperwork and locate a new doctor. This website has a searchable directory of ASO(aids service organizations) .

Offline stlfan

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 12:17:05 pm »
thanks for the information clsoca

Offline decayingsinner

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 11:45:59 pm »
if hair loss was a side affect, I would consider anything other than my truvada/sustiva.  I'm 29, still showing no signs of hair loss :P

Offline newhorizon80

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 11:24:50 pm »
, my dr is an ass and makes me feel like trash.

I don't mean to sidebar, but if this is the case, you need to look into finding a new doctor!!  Don't take the abuse.
10/30/08: CD4: 486 VL: 13,000
04/23/09: CD4: 456 VL: 8,890
10/27/09: CD4: 358 VL: 6,260
04/27/10: CD4: 413 VL: 7,800
10/19/10: CD4: 416 VL: 26,400*
11/15/10: CD4: 499 VL: 0*
04/05/11: CD4: 521
09/20/11: CD4: 585
03/06/12: CD4: 634
05/29/12: CD4: 643
08/21/12: CD4: 968

Offline texasangel071184

• me and toedoe
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 12:50:58 pm »
hi angel ;D i just started atripla 5 week ago, i got the weird dreams there fun lol of course i had weird dream before hand there just more vived now. I also get the dizzyness, and the angry moments otherwise i think i am ok.
I do have a  question though hasa anyone elses had the hair fade when on atripla the reason i ask is my hair was naturally black nad has faded to a dark brown shortly after starting the meds? ???
also the lots of good advices on here.
I live, I breath, I defie, I succeed!
who are you to tell me i can't, I can and I will!

Offline Imnew2this

• I'm stronger because of it
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 02:06:48 pm »
Interestingly, my hair has gotten MUCH darker on Atripla.  Everyone asks if I'm dyeing it.  Not a big deal to me, just interesting...  :-\

Offline newchapter

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 04:01:14 pm »
I started on Atripla and found that my body could not handle the side effects of the Sustiva. The mood swings and depression were too much!!!  Now I'm on Truvada and Viramune and doing great!

In the last year I have noticed thinning hair!!  I've always had thick, wavey hair but now it's thinnig rapidly on top!  No one seems to be able to connect hair loss to meds but it's clear that it's common with those on HIV meds.

Offline stlfan

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2009, 07:52:45 pm »
Well, thanks for the information everyone, but i went to a dermatologist in houston who put me on this wicked smelling shampoo and it seems to have helped. she said my scalp had gotten really scaly for some reason, perhaps as a response to the medicine, but she wasn't sure. meanwhile, it's at least stopped falling out, but with about 50 percent coverage.

Offline Flitalian33

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 09:20:08 am »
I started Atripla and on my 13 day. It been during that time period I notice mass hair loss. i find my scalp is very itchy. I newly dx only been 3 weeks. All this is very new.  I wanted to know If it was more the HIV then the meds.
  It seem like from what I read hear that I need to see my doctor. should I see a my dermatologist, infectious disease  or my PCP. It cheaper for me to see my PCP.

I have a very thick curly hair and find it interesting it started fall out during the time period I started the med. I was shocked to fine out when I was tested positive that I had such a high viral load and a low count of 232. I trying not to stress out over, since it just hair, but find very upsetting.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2010, 03:32:04 pm »
Low thyroid can lead to dry hair and also hair loss.  You should make sure your thyroid levels are within normal range so you can rule that out.

I am new here and I am trying to find some information, but need help.  I was just told that I have to start medication and I found out that Atripla cost $1,695/month and my health ins. pays nothing.  Where can I get help, my dr is an ass and makes me feel like trash.

Chances are you can qualify for ADAP (hopefully you are not in one of the states that has a waiting list), as someone else has already mentioned. You should probably start your own thread so you can receive more replies and advice.

The website below lists HIV doctors, you can do a search for those in your area:

www.aahivm.org

It's possible you may not need meds yet depending on your numbers and how long you've had HIV.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.