Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:18:37 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 373
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 356
Total: 356

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 7 years later no changes, no meds  (Read 2497 times)

Offline Wazup

7 years later no changes, no meds
« on: July 10, 2013, 09:57:06 pm »
Hi friends. I got the hiv in jan 2007 and I just got my labs back. VR12k CD4 1055 CD4% 28. My docs keep pushing meds, and they say it would be good to prevent inflammation. They're probably right but my numbers are so good, I'm probably foolishly hoping it will stay the same. Maybe I'll just be a non progressor Dr said my VR was too high to be nonprogressor but I don't want to believe it. Do you know of anyone with similar stats, did they progress? After how many years? I think I'll probably wait till I hit 700. If that ever happens...

Offline Rhaegar

Re: 7 years later no changes, no meds
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 10:01:07 pm »
From my understanding, it's not really the CD4 count that you should concentrate on, but rather the viral load.  If you have 12,000 copies of the virus wandering around your body it's bound to cause inflammation of some sort. 

I've always been under the impression that you should do everything you can to suppress the virus.
05/19/2011: Diagnosed.  CD4 159   VL 284,000.
04/29/2013:  CD4 789,   VL <20

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 12:10:45 am »
You have terrific numbers and percentages, but please consider what your doctor says. Viral load is pretty important - arguably more important than your CD4 count at this point (you are WELL into the "normal" range).

Having a viral load in the thousands is a  stress to the body. Inflammation is a very important consideration, as we are learning how much of an inflammatory illness HIV is, and what short and long term damage that can so the body.

Of course, there is also the TAP point of view, Treatment As Prevention. With your virus in check, and your viral load undetectable, you will be nearly uninfectious.

You can certainly wait, with those numbers, but there is compelling evidence to start meds BEFORE your CD4 count falls beneath the threshold. Preserving your innate immune system might make a huge difference down the road. Of course, availability/access to meds, and affording them can also be problematic.

Whatever you decide, it's obvious that you have time to make an informed choice.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline weasel

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 12:29:22 pm »

Hi   Wazup  , 

Speaking first hand of what may or may not  happen .

I was infected in 1982   ,   I never really got sick like my friends did . 
      Working in construction I had plenty of energy , seems like more than
     the other guys and gals  did . 

I went until    2004 before turning    Full Blown AIDS  , after I went on an
      Atkin's diet and lost 50 pounds , I went from 220 to 170 .   Worst thing I
     could have done !   I still think weight loss sets off AIDS .

Anyway ..............  In all those years  I suffered  from inflammation  so badly.
       I lost  half my teeth , My  knees were in a constant state of looking like
      foot balls .  At times I could barely walk !   I suffered severe headaches , enough to have been treated  with   some horrid  potion to ease the pain .

I my opinion    Starting    on  MEDS now is a good idea ! 
     The side effects are getting to be less and less , for the most part .

Once the damage is done you can't undo it !   

Something to think about ,

Weasel
" Live and let Live "

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 01:49:11 pm »
In all studies about risk of serious illness or death, every one of these shows the risk of these is not really different to HIV-negative people if your CD4 count is over 500.

At a high CD4 count, your CD4% is informative, and I would keep an eye on this esp if it dips below 25% and stays there. This would suggest your immune system is no longer coping so well with your HIV. A CD4% of around 27-39% is usually equivalent to a count of 500 or higher. A CD4% of under 25% usually is usually equivalent to a count of under 500.

The inflammation thing, yes there is a lot of small-scale clinical and academic science on this, but none of it is conclusive. None of it can tell you either way long-term whether or not starting meds early to knock the inflammation on the head matters. Not in a rigorous way.

70-80% of people with HIV will be recommended to start treatment (ie get to a CD4 count of 500- or under) within 10 years, average is about 5 years. A drop in CD4s, and rise in viral load, can be sudden. Don't be dismayed if it happens. That's how things go.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.