Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 12:12:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 145
Total: 145

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Advice  (Read 7870 times)

Offline snowy

Advice
« on: April 07, 2011, 02:14:13 am »
Hi, my ex used this forum quite alot and I had totally forgotten about you guys until last night.

I have a quick question on something that has been troubling me.  I got acid reflux, I think it was from all the stress from the break up.  I went to the hospital for a gastroscopy (camera down throat into stomach).  I am dealing with alot of stress at the moment and to be honest not handling it too well.

Anyway my question is if due to poor hygiene standards (or human error) the scope was not sterlilised would I have any risk of HIV in this situation.  Would it survive well enough to infect me in this way.

Thanks

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Advice
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 02:19:59 am »
Hi, my ex used this forum quite alot and I had totally forgotten about you guys until last night.

I have a quick question on something that has been troubling me.  I got acid reflux, I think it was from all the stress from the break up.  I went to the hospital for a gastroscopy (camera down throat into stomach).  I am dealing with alot of stress at the moment and to be honest not handling it too well.

Anyway my question is if due to poor hygiene standards (or human error) the scope was not sterlilised would I have any risk of HIV in this situation.  Would it survive well enough to infect me in this way.

Thanks

This is not an HIV risk situation.

HIV is transmitted in very specific ways; through unprotected anal and vaginal sex, by sharing contaminated injecting equipment such as needles and syringes and in some cases from HIV positive mother to her unborn or nursing infant.

HIV is NOT transmitted via blunt medical instruments such as endocscopes. Moreover, the equipment would have been properly sterilised.

Please take the time to read our Welcome Thread and follow the links to our lessons on HIV transmission.

MtD

Offline snowy

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 02:02:07 pm »
Thanks for this,  its really helpful to get some advice from an expert.  At least now I can forget about this now I know I have not unknowingly put myself at risk.

I have read through your transmission lessons and it would seem that HIV is a pretty difficult disease to catch, thanks again.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 09:49:03 am »
Snowy,

That's right, hiv is a very fragile, difficult to transmit virus. Thank goodness!

Aside from injecting drug users who share injecting equipment, the the only time an adult is going to be at risk is when they have unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse.

Here's what you need to know in order to remain hiv negative:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline snowy

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 11:15:44 am »
Thanks for that Ann, it would seem that there are a great deal of misconceptions and down right mistruths out there regarding this.  Thank goodness you guys are here to set the record straight.

I am taking it from your response that you agree with what Matty has said i.e Not a risk situation at all?

Thanks for the informative and straightforward advice.

N

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 11:44:06 am »
Snowy,

Yes, I totally agree with Matty. No risk.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline snowy

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 11:45:44 am »
Grand, thanks so much Ann and Matty.

Have a great weekend.

Offline snowy

re: advice
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 02:32:10 am »
Hi again!!!  I just have a quick question that I need some clarification on.  Just to give some very brief background I had an incident at the beginning of the year.  After this risk I tested negative at 6 week and 10 weeks.

The whole time I had a persistent bitter taste in my mouth, no white patches etc... just a bitter taste and a shiny tongue.  The docs gave me a thorough check over and thought it might be acid reflux due to so much stress that I had been under.  Got treated for acid reflux and the treatment was unsuccesful.  Anyway a few nights I saw an ENT and he said it 'might' be some kind of fungus in my mouth and gave me some daktarin gel.  Well unbelievably the taste is improving!!  Thank goodness.

Anyway my question is this.  I was HIV tested twice during the 11 weeks period that I had the oral thrush, if the oral thrush were due to HIV (i.e an opportunistic infection) then I would have tested positive not negative right.?  So therefore looking at it logically and rationally the oral thrush albeit a pain in the arse has nothing to do with HIV?  Or do I need to test again for HIV because the thrush has persisted (untreated) for such a long time.

In summary, oral thrush for nearly 3 months and in that time period 2 negative HIV tests.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 08:14:54 am »
Snowy,

Yes, if whatever was going on in your mouth had anything to do with hiv, you would have tested positive.

Your negative results are no big surprise as you did not have a risk in the first place.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline snowy

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 02:30:51 pm »
Thanks Ann:)

Offline snowy

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 05:37:27 am »
Hi there, I just need a bit of help with a situation I found myself.  Unfortunately I am STILL sick, this sickness has absolutely nothing to do with HIV but its just something that is going on for me at the moment :(

Anyway, I was in the hospital getting blood taken I was called in immediately after the guy in front of me so there would only have been about 30 seconds between us.  The girl that took the blood did not change her gloves between the two of us and I felt really uncomfortable about it but at the time didn't say anything as I figured as long as she used a new needle it was pretty irrelevant.

Afterwards I couldn't quite the feeling of unease about it.  I mean with me she handled the vials, took the needle off the syringe etc... all with these gloves on which meant she would have done the same with the previous guys. 

So, my question really is this.  Assuming that she had blood on her gloves from the previous patient is there any cause for concern if she touched the needle that went into my arm with this blood or if she touched my wound afterwards.  I am just a little worried that if she touched the needle before it went into my arm and that had blood on it from the previous guy then this is a transmission route.  Blood fron her hand, on the needle, put deep into my vein.

Is this possible? or a concern at all?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 07:54:36 am »
Once again you are worrying needlessly. HIV is not passed in the manner you are concerned about. It's a fragile virus and does not remain viable on gloves, hands, doorknobs, barber scissors, food, dishes and other implements and other environmental surfaces.

No risk, no risk, no risk.

Get on with your life and stop looking for problems where there aren't any.

Andy Velez

Offline snowy

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 12:34:02 pm »
Thanks for this, it really is a huge help.  So, basically is it that once any fluid has been in the environment for more than a few seconds it becomes non viable which is why in situations like this  it really is irrelevant whether blood got into my vein as the virus is inactive anyway?

So, if I have understood this right then basically anything other than unprotected sexual contact and IV drug use is not a cause for concern?

I guess I was worried because in the transmission lesson it mentions IV drug use and I thought that because she didn't change gloves between patients there may have been blood which then would have been put in  my vein.  But what you are saying is that even the brief (less than a minute) environmental exposure means that this is impossible?

Have I understood this right?  Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 12:45:43 pm »
Snowy, please keep it simple.

No risk means NO RISK!

The only confirmed risks sexually are unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse. Use condoms consistently for those and you will be well protected.

You have no cause for further concern in relation to your recent worry.
Andy Velez

Offline snowy

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2011, 01:12:54 pm »
Ok Andy, I understand.  I was just worried as I was reading your archives and it said that needlesticks carry some risk of transmission.

If you could just explain to me why my incident was different to a needlestick i.e if the nurse contaminated the needle with the previous patients blood, it really was only 30 secs or so between clients.

Is it really just that any blood on the glove would have been non viable due to a few secs environmental exposure?

If I could just understand the difference then I will very happily and calmly move along and leave you guys alone.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2011, 01:23:52 pm »
HIV is unable to reproduce outside its living host (unlike many bacteria or fungi, which may do so under suitable conditions), except under laboratory conditions; therefore, it does not spread or maintain infectiousness outside its host.

Offline snowy

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 02:29:52 pm »
Ok thanks for this. I just got confused and unsure because I had read about transmission in healthcare setting and with needles etc and I wasn't sure if this situation was something to be concerned about.

Offline snowy

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2011, 01:49:51 am »
Ok so I was looking throuh the archives and found a post by Matty which I have attached:

2. When we talk about "blood to blood contact" in terms of HIV we mean exposure to HIV positive blood through sharing contaminated injecting equipment such as needles and syringes. Also receiving transfusions of contaminated blood and blood products can transmit HIV.

3. HIV is deactived within a few minutes of being outside of the body. It is a fussy, fragile virus which is very sensitive to even minor changes in temperature, pH and other environmental factors. Once deactived HIV cannot be reactivated. It is loses it's infectiousness forever.

Here he states that HIV is deactivated within a few minutes of leaving the body.  The time between the previous patient and me was less than a minute so how is it possible that any blood would have been deactivated and unable to transmit? 

If somebody could just clarify this difference I would be very grateful.  I understand that the virus deactivates pretty quickly but going by what Matty has said my timeframe is too short?

I am sorry for this but I just don't understand and am finding all the different info very confusing.

Thanks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2011, 06:37:35 am »
Snowy,

Give it up. She could have been dripping in blood and it would not have been an hiv risk to you.

If you're worried about totally improbable situations like this, perhaps some counselling is in order. Nip this irrational hiv phobia in the bud before it takes over your life.

If you read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guideline:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned!

Ann

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline snowy

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2011, 10:03:50 am »
Wow Ann, you are absolutely right here are you guys, the experts, telling me no risk and my irrational thinking wont let me believe it.  Thanks for pointing that out to me.

I read a great post by you about the outer shell of the virus and now it makes total sense as to why you guys are so adamant that this is a no risk.  Thanks for the advice and also for the great archive info.  I now understand why it is not anything to worry about. 

I guess its easy, if you are slightly that way inclined anyway, to get sucked in to what if's and worrying but as I can see the facts about HIV just don't stand up to the worry that I have.

Thanks

Offline snowy

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2011, 01:57:21 pm »
Ok so I know coming back isn't going to look very favourable for me but I have one question and if you could please please answer it for me then I will put a ban on myself for the forseeable future for this website.  I guess I just need to understand this to put it behind me and gain some understanding.

I think Ann was right and that maybe some counselling may be in order as I have had a very difficult time lately.  Please know that I understand that.

If somebody could please explian the following to me I swear I will move on and not bother you guys again.

It has been stated that the virus does not survive well in the environment.  Therefore my situation is an absolute no risk.  So that I understand and feel at ease with this, are we talking seconds?  Immediately?  Is it really as Ann has stated like a bubbe bursting i.e seconds upon environmental exposure out of the body? Therefore transfer of fluids needs to be immediate?

I know I must sound nuts to you all and to be honest I am frustrated with myself if however, you could just give me an answer to this then I feel like I can draw a line on this and not come back with any further questions.

Please help me move on from this.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2011, 03:28:12 pm »
We are not going to get further into the minutae of your obsessive thinking, thinking which has no basis in HIV science.

You did not have a risk. Period. There is no cause for concern.

If you come back here again with more of the same you are going to get a Time Out. Period.
Andy Velez

Offline snowy

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2011, 12:27:42 am »
Sorry Andy, you are totally right I am starting to be obsessive over this.  I have no idea where this has come from, I have been uder a great deal of stress lately so maybe it stems from there.

I guess I was concerned that 30 seconds on the glove wouldn't have been long enough if it was transferred onto the needle and into my vein, but you guys are all saying the same thing NO RISK and that the virus would not be viablein this short space of time. So I guess i had better give it up and realise its my mind thats wrong and the science is there and correct.

Once again sorry, I didn't mean to be a pain in the arse.  Thanks for your time.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2011, 08:21:42 am »
You're welcome. Get on with your life.
Andy Velez

Offline snowy

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2011, 01:45:26 pm »
So, I was doing really well at taking Andy's advice and getting on with things.  I had managed to put this incident from my mind but then 2 days ago, 2.5 weeks from the blood test I came down with nild sore throat, sevre light headedness, muscle aches and diarrhea.  Now I am panicing again and I am so frustrated as I was doing so well.

Are you guys totally and absolutely sure that my situation is no risk and in that sense that this sickness that I have can't be anything to do with HIV.  Its just done my head in as in the right time frame I seem to have come down with some classic symptoms.

Please help I am feeling really scared.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2011, 04:53:55 pm »
You were repeatedly warned about not returning again when we know you have no basis in HIV science.

I'm giving you that time out you were warned about. It's for 28 days. Don't make the mistake of trying to get around it by creating a new name for an account. We'll spot that right off and it would get you permanently banned from the site.

HIV is not your problem. Cut out all this drama and get on with your life. No kidding.
Andy Velez

Offline snowy

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2011, 01:42:52 pm »
Hi all,

I an writing in, not with a concern over a risk but just to say thanks a million to you guys who run this forum and provide awesome and informative advice. 

If I were being honest I would say that I have had some form of OCD for a number of years and recently these has shown as HIV OCD.  You know its OCD when there clearly is not a risk but yet the crazy part of the brain still manages to convince you that it is!!

I have taken your advice and sought out some help, I have found a great therapist who not only has given me some meds but also some really good techniques to help.  Its amazing once I was willing to accept that maybe OCD was my issue I stopped focusing as much on HIV.

I urge anybody on here who keeps stressing about it, who have had no risk after no risk to get help.  It really does make things easier.  As my therapist pointed out to me, there are millions of people out there who have HIV who are leading happy, fulfilling, successful and healthy lives and there are people like me who are stressing about an illness that to date I could not possibly have.

Once again thanks for the shove in the right direction, it was a good one :)

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2011, 02:49:29 pm »
You're welcome. Good luck with that professional help with sorting out your OCD.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2011, 08:29:45 am »
Snowy,

You're welcome.

It's good to hear that you took our advice and sought professional help. I wish more people would do the same.

Good luck going forward. OCD may be a "demon", but it is one that CAN be defeated. Keep up the good work!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.