Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:42:06 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 346
Total: 347

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Christmas Shopping  (Read 13100 times)

Offline wolfter

Christmas Shopping
« on: December 12, 2012, 09:43:01 pm »
Started and finished my Christmas shopping today.  I had to buy only one gift because of our employee gift exchange at work.  I got creative; purchased a woven basket and painted it gold.  We went to Amish country today and I purchased a lot of different items to fill the basket.  Also purchased some seasonal material to make a liner for it.

And for me; a couple of new outfits, some freshly ground green bean coffee and other Amish products.  I already tried some of the guacamole chips and spicy raspberry dip.  Stopped at the book store and got Mary Higgins Clark's latest 2 books as I've gotten behind on my reading.  And also had to stop at the God awful Walmart because they're the only place I can find the gallon size jars of jalapenos. 

We were totally ready and done and got to the truck and my mother locked the keys inside.  And of course, my jacket and phone were in there also.  The greeter looked horrified when I asked if pay phones still existed.  She didn't even offer a solution when I explained what happened.  Oh well, I went to the customer service department and they let me use the phone. 

While she waited for roadside assistance, I used one of the motorized scooters to zoom around the store and people watch.  Man, I'd have some great photos if I had my phone.

http://asherycountrystore.com/   Here is the link for one of the Amish stores we visited.  They sure are progressive Amish people, websites and all.

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline mitch777

Re: Christmas Shopping
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 10:26:21 pm »
that^ is the cutest, gayest, peculiar (gallon of jalapenos) story that i have heard in ages! LOL!!! ;D
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 10:43:18 pm »
I hope you mean the gay part is that I went Christmas shopping and bought mostly for myself?   ;D  I love shopping, just not for other people.

I'm ever so grateful that my family doesn't partake in the entire gift exchange thingy.  We don't make specific points of buying things just because it's a certain date.  We buy and do things for each other throughout the year.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 10:43:29 pm »
You drive a truck?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline wolfter

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 10:46:44 pm »
You drive a truck?

Of course I do, but I can't drive it right now because it's a standard.  My mother took me in her 4 x 4 pickup.  My entire family drives trucks, it's just what we do in our parts. ;D

Modified:  I have been driving myself to all of my doctor appointments in one of my brother's trucks.  He has a few of them and is letting me use his F250 since it's an automatic and I can mostly drive it ok using my left leg.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 10:48:32 pm by wolfter »

Offline mitch777

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 10:52:03 pm »
wolfie dear,

this is way too gay (ala martha stewart). ;D

I got creative; purchased a woven basket and painted it gold.  We went to Amish country today and I purchased a lot of different items to fill the basket.  Also purchased some seasonal material to make a liner for it.

:) ;D

ps. embrase your inner diva. ;D

cute.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 11:00:57 pm »
Here is a pic of my delicious peppers.  I've been without them for a few days and everything tasted bland.  You can see a hint of my basket in there too.  I will show a completed picture after I get all my sewing done.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 11:05:09 pm »
nevermind.
enjoy your sewing project. ;)

Offline britchick

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 01:58:35 am »
Love this story!

I want that scooter!!!!!!!!
 I get you on the locking the keys in the car.I've left  pressies on the train before .......Panicked big style  ..and actually got them back.
...when the same train returned!!!!!!
You've heard the phrase Bridezilla?Well my mum is Christmaszilla!!!
Step away from the  christmas shops now!Her house is decked from head to toe in christmas decs.She sneaks more and more into her house every year.....and if we put a decoration in the wrong place............all hell breaks loose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!

Britchickx

Offline wolfter

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 02:02:46 am »
nevermind.
enjoy your sewing project. ;)

Since our party isn't until next week, I'm thinking of making a few different liners for other occasions.  I'll have to sort through my material stash.  I have a newer sewing machine but here is a classic that I purchased from a thrift store.  It works great.  I love thrifting since it's shopping.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 09:10:13 am »
Reminds me of my mother's old sewing machine. They have a particular smell when the operate that I have always found appealing. Good luck with the projects!

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 09:30:22 am »
My grandma used one of those sewing machines that had the manual foot thing to make it work , she could really work that thing and wouldn't give it up for a new one .

She also did hand stitched quilts , I have 13 or 14 of them she gave me over the years .
I have been offered what I consider allot of money for the quilts but wouldn't sell them for the world . When I was in chicago I was offered $1000 for just one of them , was told they are Appalachian works of art .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 11:17:53 am »
That was very polite of them to use the word "Appalachian"!

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 12:21:04 pm »
That was very polite of them to use the word "Appalachian"!

Is that code for hillbilly?  ;)
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 12:38:04 pm »
My grandmother made tons of quilts too, and she didn't live in Appalachia. My mother still makes them, belongs to a quilt club, and goes to a national quilt convention once a year.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 01:40:39 pm »
My grandmother made tons of quilts too, and she didn't live in Appalachia. My mother still makes them, belongs to a quilt club, and goes to a national quilt convention once a year.

My grandma didn't need to go to conventions like your mother does , as an artist it came naturally to her . I'm sure your mothers quilts are lovely in there own way .  :-* .     
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 02:17:57 pm »
My grandma didn't need to go to conventions like your mother does , as an artist it came naturally to her . I'm sure your mothers quilts are lovely in there own way .  :-* .     

Look you idiot hick, one doesn't go to conventions to learn to quilt. You go to see other quilts and show others yours. Anyway, she didn't start doing that circuit until a few years ago. It's like men that go on golfing trips.

ps: quilts aren't allowed in my personal residence

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 03:36:17 pm »
Look you idiot hick, one doesn't go to conventions to learn to quilt. You go to see other quilts and show others yours. Anyway, she didn't start doing that circuit until a few years ago. It's like men that go on golfing trips.

Oh honey , get your panties out of your crack , its not a competition . I know what those  " shows " are for .
People go to those hobby trade shows all the time and buy they're patterns and maybe even get a ribbon for best in show if they keep going long enough .
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 03:37:49 pm by jg1962 »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 04:53:34 pm »

Not like I own one or anything, but what's wrong with them?
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 04:55:44 pm »

Not like I own one or anything, but what's wrong with them?

There's something very "country kitchen" about them, except for the bedroom.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2012, 07:26:29 pm »
My Appalachian grandmother made quilts for each grandchild.  Towards the end of her life, I'm sure she indicated that each one cost a couple of hundred dollars to have professionally quilted.

You need to make sure to have a rider on your insurance for their value.  I spent many an hour helping granny with her sewing projects.  It's unfortunate that my siblings and my quilts were destroyed in our house fire during the great blizzard. 

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2012, 07:37:28 pm »
My Appalachian grandmother made quilts for each grandchild.  Towards the end of her life, I'm sure she indicated that each one cost a couple of hundred dollars to have professionally quilted.

You need to make sure to have a rider on your insurance for their value.  I spent many an hour helping granny with her sewing projects.  It's unfortunate that my siblings and my quilts were destroyed in our house fire during the great blizzard.

I took care of the insurance thing at the same time I bought my house . It was a true irreplaceable loss for you when the quilts burned , I know how I would feel if it happened to me . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2012, 11:51:28 pm »
Dang, this thread really is about how gay I am.... ;D ;D ;D ;D  I love any crafting, which why I'm good at it in fabric or woodworking. 

I don't pulling up to the fabric store in my truck. :o

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2012, 10:58:55 pm »
Question:  Why do box stores charge tax online, but Amazon still doesn't?  I just ordered things from Amazon and no tax was charged.  I ordered something from Target and they charged taxes.  It was Kentucky's 6%.  I went to other store websites and they were also charging tax.  How does Amazon get around it? 

Offline wolfter

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2012, 11:37:44 pm »
Question:  Why do box stores charge tax online, but Amazon still doesn't?  I just ordered things from Amazon and no tax was charged.  I ordered something from Target and they charged taxes.  It was Kentucky's 6%.  I went to other store websites and they were also charging tax.  How does Amazon get around it?

Seriously? :o  Any legit shopper knows how to get shipping waved.  Normally, it you see an item online, call their 800 number to order it playing the game.  After a while, you'll have privledges to avoid the begging status.

A

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2012, 11:38:45 pm »
How does Amazon get around it? 

They shouldn't it -- I think it was originally to encourage the growth of the internet. But now it just causes shortfalls with state budgets. But if one state makes Amazon collect tax they just move their operations in Mississippi. (jobs!)

One more reason for VAT.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2012, 11:57:13 pm »
Seriously? :o  Any legit shopper knows how to get shipping waved.  Normally, it you see an item online, call their 800 number to order it playing the game.  After a while, you'll have privledges to avoid the begging status.

A

Well, I have noticed that if I put items in my cart, but don't checkout, they will often send me emails with special discount offers for those items.  They are like Santa; they know all.  I recently went on an airline website to check flight prices.  A few days later, I got an email with discounts to those exact destinations. 

After that, I saw a story on Today about the same thing.  They said many sites do this, but at some sites, you have to go as far as putting in your credit card info and then cancel the order. 

They shouldn't it -- I think it was originally to encourage the growth of the internet. But now it just causes shortfalls with state budgets. But if one state makes Amazon collect tax they just move their operations in Mississippi. (jobs!)

One more reason for VAT.

While I would like to avoid taxes, I realize state budgets are already stretched, with many cutting programs.  I just saw how states cut over a billion dollars for mental health, during the recession.  Medicaid has been hit very hard. 

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2012, 05:37:14 am »
My grandma was a steamstress (oh and she's still alive and healthy and approaching 100) and she taught me how to sew on a pedal machine!

In this day and age, any gay who "crafts" deserves a Presidential medal of some sort,  for keeping up traditions. 

San Francisco had a Museum of Craft and it closed.  Stupid board of trustee egos destroyed the New York one.  No longer being a New Yorker I am thoroughly confused what is happening at Columbus Circle.  Are there two different museums???

Ive never been to the Smithsonian's Renwick Gallery. 

I try to check out the crafts fairs locally in Switzerland but its always the same people mostly showing some pretty hideous stuff. 

There are such wonderful traditional crafts in a country and its important to keep them going.  While still making room for the new.   

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2012, 07:47:03 am »

One more reason for VAT.

Actually states are starting to tax Amazon.  VA will do so starting in July (I think that is the date anyway).  This issue came up when Amazon wanted to build a distribution center here -- somewhere near Petersburg IIRC.  I believe I read a couple of others are or soon will be.

Teddy....  to answer your question.  Most states will tax online stores if they have a physical presence in the state of the online shopper.

It won't be long before all of online shopping is taxed. 

edited to add this link about states taxing Amazon (Ted -- you SHOULD be paying the tax according to this):  http://money.cnn.com/2012/07/18/news/economy/amazon-sales-tax/index.htm

Mike

Offline wolfter

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2012, 12:16:23 pm »
In Ohio, if you purchase on-line and they don't collect sales tax, our codes require that you submit it yourself.  Several years ago, my brother-in-law started ordering cigarettes through the internet because of Ohio's ridiculous sales tax on them.  About a year in, he was contacted by the state and charged sales tax plus a penalty for failing to file.  Not sure how they became aware?

I love any sort of project that involves creativity and produces something.  I've always made my own drapes, curtains and some clothes.  This summer I remodeled my bathroom and couldn't find a proper sized vanity.  I bought a sheet of cabinet grade playwood and built my own.  I wanted one that was 36" high and most are 30" or 32". 

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2012, 04:31:26 pm »
I was remembering one of my favorite skits on SNL.  Blue State Santa.  Just came to me as I was reading this thread about Christmas.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/116197

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2012, 05:45:29 pm »
Wofter, I'm with you, one of the joys of this season is the fact that I get to shop my ass off, both for myself and others. A girl has to keep her eye out for those bargains, and those grannies best watch out cause they got nothing on me when I got some bargains and coupons to burn lol! I went to Macy's today and this hot young clerk was so helpful and showed me around and practically walked me into the fitting room. I think he was wanting to provide some quality customer service if you get my drift lol. Hell all he had to do was take his lunch break then take me anyway he wanted and I would have given it to him haha. Usually tho my shopping trips are just whirlwinds, trying to beat out all the others for the best deals! I am known as the clearance king haha. But this year damn I have been using Amazon and Ebay like a crazy bitch! Its easy, fast, and no crowds or hassle. But I still got to do it old school and go out and do the shopping in person thing lol. Tis the season!
"I survived because I was tougher than anybody else".--Bette Davis

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2012, 12:36:33 am »
If anyone is having a hard time thinking of what Christmas gift to buy that special someone, perhaps this will give you some ideas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UAd7vMgc9k#!

"Hoover at Christmas means gifts she will treasure"    ???

Yes, I'm sure she will treasure that iron forever.   ::)
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline wolfter

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2012, 02:01:50 am »
If anyone is having a hard time thinking of what Christmas gift to buy that special someone, perhaps this will give you some ideas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UAd7vMgc9k#!

"Hoover at Christmas means gifts she will treasure"    ???

Yes, I'm sure she will treasure that iron forever.   ::)

As she bashes his head with it as soon as his drunk ass passes out.   ;D

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2012, 02:16:44 am »
Dear Wolfella: I did all of my Christmas shopping today in two hours. I also (finally) mailed some Christmas cards which obviously will not arrive in time.

Tomorrow I will take a walk during early evening hours, so as not to get raped or shot, and look at all of the decorations. But here's an early one of Rittenhouse Square -- all of the trees have illuminated glass balls but it's hard to make it all out well in the picture:

... and here's a street a few blocks from my apartment:

Offline wolfter

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2012, 09:46:58 am »
Wow MissP, that really is beautiful.  That looks very similar to the area we were supposed to stay in.  Unless all of Philly has those god awful one way, narrow ass roads.  :)  Perhaps we should have visited during the holidays.

As promised, a couple of pics of my gift basket I put together.  We were supposed to have a $20 limit and I exceded it by more than twice.  Oh well, she's one of my favs at work.  Still have to figure out how to wrap it in the next few hours.

The beautiful gold basket after purchasing a boring one from a thirft store.

The finished basket in need of wraping

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2012, 12:18:51 pm »
We'll see how successful I was gift shopping stoned.  Im sure I'll be more convinced by what I bought after i finish this Sidecar. 
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2012, 03:28:40 pm »
Unless all of Philly has those god awful one way, narrow ass roads.  :)  Perhaps we should have visited during the holidays.

We have streets so narrow here that you can barely fit anything more than a compact car on them -- and no parking lanes. I live on a huge boulevard though, but there aren't many of those here. It's an old city that was laid out (at least the downtown part) before cars existed.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2012, 04:11:17 pm »
Most of your online gift buys came through Louisville.  Many online stores, like Amazon and Zappos, have built huge warehouses here to be closer to our UPS World Hub.  UPS makes our airport busier than it otherwise would be.  The Today Show reported live from here Friday. 

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/50256808#50256808

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2012, 10:30:33 pm »
The only gift I bought on-line was an out-of-print book for my father. Everything else was bought the traditional way, though my family is small-ish and only involves six people for gifts.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2012, 05:30:23 pm »
Most of your online gift buys came through Louisville.  Many online stores, like Amazon and Zappos, have built huge warehouses here to be closer to our UPS World Hub.  UPS makes our airport busier than it otherwise would be.  The Today Show reported live from here Friday. 

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/50256808#50256808

I recently purchased a new leather chair from Staples and had to call their customer service because the stitching was coming loose.  I was pleasantly surprised when the phone was answered by a cute (I'm guessing because of that coy flirtish style) guy named Zach with a familiar accent.  As we chatted he indicated their call center was in Louisville. 

It was such a pleasant experience that I sent an email to their corporate office.  I included my name and number in case they forward him a copy. ;D

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2012, 12:53:46 am »
I recently purchased a new leather chair from Staples and had to call their customer service because the stitching was coming loose.  I was pleasantly surprised when the phone was answered by a cute (I'm guessing because of that coy flirtish style) guy named Zach with a familiar accent.  As we chatted he indicated their call center was in Louisville. 

It was such a pleasant experience that I sent an email to their corporate office.  I included my name and number in case they forward him a copy. ;D

Oh, Zachary.  We call him Zach.  I will give him your contact info.   ;)

There does seem to be many call centers here.  I called TIVO one night and discovered I knew the rep.  I did not know one of their call centers was here.  I think it is our central location, and being near UPS. 

Offline wolfter

« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2012, 10:08:04 pm »
Oh, Zachary.  We call him Zach.  I will give him your contact info.   ;)

As long as he's 18, hell yeah!   ;D

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2012, 10:15:08 am »
I'm not a shopper , I get little joy from spending money unless its for art supplies or tools .

I have been the biggest scrooge on earth since I ended a long term relationship over a decade ago and this year was no different , I don't find the holiday completely depressing like I used to but I still Bah Humbug with the best of them .

I did something today though that will make my friends who think that spending money on a sale is actually saving money  , they will be proud . I went to Wallmart right when they opened this morning and bought enough Christmas decor to make my home a mini Christmas village next year . I got a tree and all the stuff to decorate it with , I got two mini trees and a garland for the fireplace and multi color ice sickles to hang from the eves outdoors ... and some dog biscuits for my Zita ... all for about $110 ... power shopping baby .

I'm going to go ahead and post for Miss P .
From Miss P .
Who the fuck wants a tacky artificial plastic tree .

« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 10:17:19 am by jg1962 »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2012, 12:36:09 pm »
We were going to shop the sales today but are under a damn blizzard warning.  I could have purchased several outfits for what I normally spend on one. 

Wolfie

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2012, 12:42:14 pm »
Its 37 degrees here but its been snowing off and on all morning , it wont stick but its a better than looking a rain for me ... I love it because its so rare here .

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2012, 12:47:10 pm »
They're calling for up to 14" of snow in our area with sustained winds.  Already made my emergency runs to the store.  Plenty of water, wine and smokes.  So if you all don't see me for a while, it means the power is out again.  We lose it during most storms.  Sometimes for weeks at a time.  AAAHHH, the joys of rural living.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2012, 12:51:53 pm »
I'm sure you can handle 14" cause you are used to it ;-) .

Only kids from the deep south can realate to pressing your nose up to the window at night and looking at the porch light hoping to see a snow flake and then doing a happy dance if you see one .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2012, 07:58:31 pm »
I remember when I saw my first snow fall about 35 years years ago when I came to Washington DC from Florida.  I was beside myself.  I recall my new friends whispering to people as I yelled, grinned and kept touching the snow "Uh, he's special.  This is all new to him."   :D
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline mitch777

« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2012, 08:21:45 pm »
I remember when I saw my first snow fall about 35 years years ago when I came to Washington DC from Florida.  I was beside myself.  I recall my new friends whispering to people as I yelled, grinned and kept touching the snow "Uh, he's special.  This is all new to him."   :D

I still do this^ now! :)
(and iv'e never had a snowless winter in my life.)
Snow is always fun..............until February.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.