Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:57:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 718
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 674
Total: 675

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Herpes Proctitis  (Read 8810 times)

Offline thirtysomething

Herpes Proctitis
« on: October 02, 2011, 07:50:52 pm »
Hello-

I hope you guys are doing well. I need some help in understanding Herpes proctitis recurrences. I've had a really bad first episode of Herpes Proctitis in June  and my life was a living hell for weeks! I got Herpes from unprotected anal sex with a guy who did not disclose his Herpes status. I was at the receiving end during the intercourse. Soon after, I fell so sick and it felt like I'm going to die! After numerous visits to ER and my primary HIV physician, the swab culture result came back as positive for HSV-1. I had no blisters during this first episode but had a fissure and severe pain during bowel movements, It was like passing glass - not to mention blood and pus.

To make matters worse, the fissure caused secondary bacterial infection and it developed perianal abscess that had to be surgically drained. The abscess cut continued to drain for couple of weeks after the surgery and I still find difficult to sit (say, on a chair) for long period of time. My doctor says that the abscess cut is healing well and it will take couple of more months for it to completely heal. I, also, still have a lump, like an inch, below the abscess cut. My doctor is concerned that the lump may result in another abscess or I may get Fistula! (Fuck me :-()

I'm poz for over 5 years now, not on HIV meds,  and have never had any health issues due to HIV. As of my last bloodwork, CD4 were 810 and VL 570. I'll get results of my new bloodwork done in a week.  I'm currently taking Valtrex 500 mg twice a day as suppressive therapy for herpes.

This new Herpes infection has affected my lifestyle, confidence and my libido. I'm afraid to have sex again! And I'm extremely concerned about proctitis recurrence. I was told by my doctor that recurrence of HSV-1 proctitis is very rare, and that majority of people with Herpes Proctitis have HSV-2 herpes, though there are few cases (like mine) who have got proctitis due to HSV-1.

I feel like I would have dealt with cold sores (more common with hsv-1) much easier.  I'm not a good sucker anyway. But in my ass! Seriously?

I hope my CD4 and VL do not crash due to Herpes. My doctor wants to have a discussion with me about starting HIV meds. I'm not sure though if I should at this stage. I'm also a participant in a slow-progressor study for over a year now.

Has anyone experienced what I'm going through? I'm not able to find any good material online that talks in detail about Herpes Proctitis recurrence. I'm also afraid that I may have another episode after I stop Valtrex. Not to mention that my sexual life may become permanently non-existent! :-(

Any information shared is much appreciated.

Thanks -
  >:(

Diagnosed March '06
CD4 fluctuations since diagnosis 750-1395
VL fluctuations Undetectable - 2000
CD4% fluctuations 32-48%
Not on HIV meds

« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 07:55:18 pm by thirtysomething »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Herpes Proctitis
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 09:25:12 am »
Why would you stop the valtrex? Many people - including myself - take prophylactic acyclovir with no problems. I take 400mgs X2. If the cost is worrying you, you can get generic acyclovir - it's very inexpensive.

There is some evidence that taking prophylactic acyclovir helps to suppress hiv as well. I'm not sure if they've figured out why yet, but I have my own theory - simply that keeping herpes suppressed gives your body one less thing to be constantly fighting.

Usually, the first outbreak of herpes is the worst - I know mine was. Even if your subsequent outbreaks are milder, why take the chance when there is a good, virtually side-effect-free med out there that will stop you from having any? Also, when you're on acyclovir prophylaxis it greatly reduces the chance of you passing your herpes on.

Got a tip for you - while you're still healing, get yourself some babywipes and keep them in your bathroom. Your ass will thank you. Mine does! ;D You have my empathy. Anal herpes are a pain in the ass in every sense of the phrase.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline next2u

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 12:08:55 pm »
Why would you stop the valtrex? Many people - including myself - take prophylactic acyclovir with no problems. I take 400mgs X2. If the cost is worrying you, you can get generic acyclovir - it's very inexpensive.

There is some evidence that taking prophylactic acyclovir helps to suppress hiv as well. I'm not sure if they've figured out why yet, but I have my own theory - simply that keeping herpes suppressed gives your body one less thing to be constantly fighting.

Usually, the first outbreak of herpes is the worst - I know mine was. Even if your subsequent outbreaks are milder, why take the chance when there is a good, virtually side-effect-free med out there that will stop you from having any? Also, when you're on acyclovir prophylaxis it greatly reduces the chance of you passing your herpes on.

Got a tip for you - while you're still healing, get yourself some babywipes and keep them in your bathroom. Your ass will thank you. Mine does! ;D You have my empathy. Anal herpes are a pain in the ass in every sense of the phrase.

baby wipes are essential!

best,
d
midapr07 - seroconversion
sept07 - tested poz
oct07 cd4 1013; vl 13,900; cd4% 41
feb08 cd4  694;  vl 16,160; cd4% 50.1
may08 cd4 546; vl 91,480; cd4% 32
aug08 cd4 576; vl 48,190; cd4% 40.7
dec08 cd4 559; vl 63,020; cd4% 29.4
feb09 cd4 464; vl 11,000; cd4% 26
may09 cd4 544; vl 29,710; cd4% 27.2
oct09 cd4 ...; vl 23,350; cd4% 31.6
mar10 cd4 408; vl 59,050; cd4% 31.4
aug10 cd4 328; vl 80,000; cd4% 19.3 STARTED ATRIPLA
oct10 cd4 423; vl 410 ;); cd4% 30.2
jun11 cd4 439; vl <20 ;); cd4% 33.8 <-Undetectable!
mar12 cd4 695; vl ud; cd4% 38.6
jan13 cd4 738; vl ud; cd4% 36.8
aug13 cd4 930; vl ud; cd4% 44.3
jan14 cd4 813; vl ud; cd4% 42.8
may14 cd4 783; vl *; cd4%43.5
sept14 cd4 990; vl ud; cd4% *
jun15 cd4 1152; vl ud; cd4% *
july15 - STRIBILD
oct15 cd4 583; vl 146; cd4% 42
mar16 cd4 860; vl 20; 44

Offline Basquo

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 12:30:53 pm »
Acyclovir is well-tolerated by all but a few people, and for those people, Valtrex is now generic  ;D

Offline thirtysomething

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 12:56:15 pm »
Hi Ann -

My doctor wants me to stop taking Valtrex after 3 months. He said that there is a fair chance of being drug- resistant to Valtrex if I continue it for a longer period. He suggests that after 3 months I take Valtrex only during episodic recurrences. I will talk to him again about this when I see him later this week.

Thanks for the baby wipes advice :-)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 01:04:46 pm »
I've been taking acyclovir for around eight years, no resistance.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Basquo

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 03:30:17 pm »
I've read that resistance to acyclovir and Valtrex is rare. Why wait for an episode if you could prevent it altogether? The first year is the worst and it sounds like you don't want to go through  what you described again. Acyclovir twice a day, or Valtrex once a day, is a small price to pay for peace of ass.

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 05:48:29 pm »
Hi Ann -

My doctor wants me to stop taking Valtrex after 3 months. He said that there is a fair chance of being drug- resistant to Valtrex if I continue it for a longer period. He suggests that after 3 months I take Valtrex only during episodic recurrences. I will talk to him again about this when I see him later this week.

Thanks for the baby wipes advice :-)

My doc argued the same thing.  He said that he was concerned that if I developed resistance, there would be nothing for me to use during subsequent flare ups.  I think his reluctance stemmed from having a patient that DID develop resistance.  I told him that, while I appreciated his concern, I was the one with the herpes on my ass and I wanted to take it to suppress outbreaks.
He wrote my Rx and I've been taking it for a couple of years now - NO OUTBREAKS since.  I take 500mg of Valtrex, twice a day (Valtrex is generic now too).

Mike

Offline thirtysomething

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 06:31:07 pm »
Thanks for the advice, guys. I will talk to my doctor about continuing suppressive therapy. I definitely don't want to face the outbreak horror again!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 07:16:42 am »
Acyclovir is well-tolerated by all but a few people, and for those people, Valtrex is now generic  ;D

(Valtrex is generic now too).

Thanks guys, it's good to know that Valtrex (valacyclovir) is now available as a generic.

I hesitated to start taking acyclovir prophylaxis for a couple years due to fears of becoming resistant, but I researched it and found that it's quite rare. I was getting outbreaks as often as two or three times a month and the relief that taking regular acyclovir has brought is priceless.

Thirty, in my opinion, stopping outbreaks - particularly in or around your anal area - is very important due to the very real possibility of getting a secondary bacterial infection, which is what happened to you. It happened to me once too, although not as bad as your infection.

The problem with taking the meds only when you have a recurrence is that unless you catch it VERY early, you will still get a blister, albeit possibly a smaller one than you would have had without the meds. The meds will only hurry the healing process along. This means that you will still end up with an open sore that can become infected with bacteria.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 07:18:17 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.