Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:57:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 496
Total: 499

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: introducing myself. New to community but not to virus  (Read 4374 times)

Offline HivLinux

• Il virus che parla (Italian only)
introducing myself. New to community but not to virus
« on: July 23, 2008, 03:45:45 pm »
Hi, I am a 35-years-old man from italy. I work on computers(hardware and software assistance) so I am used to read and write English language even if I know to make several grammar mistakes, but know many mother-language English speaking people who make worse mistakes than me such as "I don't need no assistance thanks" :)
well, I tested HIV+ in 1993, September 1993 I contracted it because of a "dirty" blood-transfusion after a motor cycle accident the same year, it was almost a luck that I was very very ill in 1993 summer, they had to explore me like a treasure box, as doctors suspected my 39 degrees temperature in hot August was due to an infection, caused by the metal piece they put on my shoulder to adjust it but there was nothing about that, and I was ill, so they asked me if I wanted them to test me for HIV; put a signature on a piece of paper, i could not exclude it without verifying it. Even if I knew I didn't  take drugs via injection at all, and I never had sex with other partners, I was sure my first and only girlfriend was  negative. And she _is_ negative. Girl who ran away just when I had the accident. Yes true we were getting a bad period on our relationship since April 93, but I still hoped her to come back, I hoped things to adjust by themselves but  then the accident, and HIV, just made me realize how bad person she was, and how physical beauty is not directly connected with true love and loyalty.
It was a luck, that I discovered the HIV condition almost immediately as, otherwise, I could never suspect to be positive as I am not in the "risk categories". I could have had a "normal" life, including sex without "rubber hood", that could have meant infecting other people and never having the possibility to fight to get money back from health ministry, showing up documentation as proof of their mistake; I am still fighting for that, but I have had life back, and life is more important than money, I think; many sad things happened in my life, such as my father and my sister's death but, now, I'm really happy, I think it's really worth to struggle, and to suffer, it's part of life and there's no reason to surrender anyway.
I take meds, sustiva and truvada, since 2006 but I switched other therapies before that, now I have virus count "not detectable" and cd4 to 750. I live together with a wonderful, HIV negative, girl, who loves me really and not as the other one! :) We enjoy a normal sexual life, the "hood", as we call it, or "jacket for the gentleman", is not an obstacle for us; we are in five, me, my girlfriend, my dog, my caged bird, and my virus!
Bye.
Val
Software is like sex. It's better when it's free. (Linus Torvalds)

Offline YaKaMein

Re: introducing myself. New to community but not to virus
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 03:54:18 pm »
Welcome Val,
Great story and fantastic attitude. It's probably the best asset to have in fighting our little HIV friends. thanks for sharing ... -YaKaMein
09/11 Endocrine Consult
08/11 CD4 328 14.9% VL 0
 Disc'd Bactrim DEXA -3.1 Tscore
03/11 CD4 338 14.7% VL 0
11/10 CD4 300 14.3% VL 0 <20copies
07/10 CD4 336 14.0% VL 0 DEXA -2.7 Tscore
03/10 CD4 308 13.4% VL 0 Vit D normal
01/10 Began FOTO
11/09 CD4 274 13.7% VL 0 Chol 173 Trig 131
07/09 CD4 324 13.5% VL 0 DEXA -3.1 Tscore lumbar
03/09 CD4 207 10.9% VL 0
11/08 CD4 227 10.3% VL 0 Chol 176 Trig 156
04/08 CD4 228 9.5% VL 0
01/08 CD4 194 9.0% VL 0
09/07 CD4 176 8.3% VL 0
03/07 CD4 130 9.5% VL 0 Chol 261  Trig 227
12/06 CD4 109 6.4% VL 0
09/06 CD4  88 5.5% VL und desens'd rtd to Bactrim
08/06  Began Atripla
07/06 CD4  59 5.0% VL 145 Chol 117 Trig 104
06/06  Bactrim rash, X2 Dapsone
 EFV & Truvada Chol 128 Trig 131
05/06 CD4  6 (2.0%) VL 78667 only V179D mutation Dx PC MAC

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 03:57:06 pm »
Hey Val,

Welcome to the forums.  I enjoyed reading your story, even though some of it was sad.  I lost both my parents between August of last year (my mum) and March of this year (my dad).  I understand that sadness.  But, we just keep going.

I've been diagnosed since 1989, and it's been quite an, well, adventure.  You have a really great attitude.  I hope to hear more from you and keep your woman happy. ;)
   Luv,
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline HivLinux

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 04:23:31 pm »
Well, you said, my story is sad...true but which story with a life-lasting illness isn't sad? All illnesses, everyone hopes not to get them but if it happens, the only way to go on, is restarting from 0.
We'd all prefer not to have unpleasant neighbours in our life! But as it's said in my job, the right command is:
reboot
I treat my virus as an unpleasant neighbour: could give him what he wants, but for the rest, not allowing it to be the owner of my life.
I am used to joke about the HIV, condoms, or meds, because I think it's the only way to tell others to accept it as it's not their problem, people must feel on ease with me otherwise I cannot ask to be accepted. I know of course that not everyone manages to joke about his/her HIV condition, I respect everyone I hope not to offend anybody!

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 04:38:10 pm »
welcome, val

humour is essential  :)

- kate

Offline HivLinux

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 04:54:18 pm »
hahahaha - penguin! You know, Linux operating system's logo is a penguin!
this is destiny...
:)

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 05:31:35 pm »
Hey Val!

Welcome to the Forums. What's your favourite Linux distrubution?

MtD

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 06:35:38 pm »
Welcome to the forums, Val. You have a great attitude and I look forward to reading more of your posts.

Ford

Offline HivLinux

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 11:25:04 am »
sorry for the long delay but I have been very very busy and stressed for many reasons, stress coming from every place.
Well once I had Debian Sarge but now Ubuntu 8.04, and I am happy that my wife uses it too! She os not so clever at computer so she needs point-and-click monkey-style working!
What I need now, is a holiday!

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 04:55:34 pm »
Val -- welcome to our forums.  Glad you found us, even in Italy (gotta love the Internets!).

Sounds like you have a great family there (not including the virus..  ;) )!

Peter Staley
Founder
AIDSmeds.com

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008, 04:57:48 pm »
Well once I had Debian Sarge but now Ubuntu 8.04, and I am happy that my wife uses it too! She os not so clever at computer so she needs point-and-click monkey-style working!

I never got used to the Ubuntu colour scheme. ;) I'm a Fedora fiend myself.

Welcome! :)

MtD

Offline HivLinux

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2008, 05:49:06 pm »
huuuu! Fedora SUCKS!!! :P
The virus, well, he's OK. He sleeps. And he never complains about anything! :)
Internet is the real power of 21st century. There's place for people who want to come out with their HIV condition - like me -, I do not hide my HIV status as I do not find anything to shame about, and I have been lucky not to find serious discrimination problems.
And there is also place for people who want to keep it as a secret.
OK now I go to bed, I am very very tired

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2008, 07:08:37 pm »
huuuu! Fedora SUCKS!!! :P

Feh! Blasphemous Ubuntu weenie! :P yerself. :)

MtD

Offline 100proofBrandy

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 01:06:49 pm »
hello Val
welcome I am new here to but not to the virus either 11 years now!
The person you educate today maybe the one you save tomorrow :)

Offline Iggy

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2008, 04:27:58 pm »
Hey Val,

Welcome!

Offline StrongGuy

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 04:57:57 pm »
Welcome from an Italian-American!

Ciao!
Mikey
"Get your medical advice from Doctors or medical professionals who you trust and know your history."

"Beware of the fortune teller doom and gloomers who seek to bring you down and are only looking for company, purpose and validation - not your best physical/mental interests."

"You know you all are saying that this is incurable. When the real thing you should be saying is it's not curable at the present time' because as we know, the great strides we've made in medicine." - Elizabeth Edwards

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.