Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:19:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772955
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 456
Total: 458

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: UK hairdresser accused of deliberately infecting his lovers with HIV  (Read 5728 times)

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Very upset with myself. I spend 30 mins searching as I was sure we already had a thread going on this topic and when I found it, it was not a thread just a passing comment back in Jan :-[

Anyhow story started that English police launched a manhunt for Edinburgh hairdresser Darryl Rowe was who on the run accused of infecting lovers with HIV.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/edinburgh-mum-begs-hiv-fugitive-9330765 "Scots mum begs 'HIV fugitive' son accused of deliberately infecting male lovers to come home and face charges"

Update is:

He has indeed been charged with infecting four men with HIV and of attempting to infect a further six between October 2015 and December 2016. The court case has started and he is reported to have not been taking his medication at the time, and allegedly texted one victim saying: "Maybe you have the fever. I have HIV LOL. Oops!"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10/09/man-accused-deliberately-infecting-lovers-sent-text-saying-have/

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/hiv-hairdresser-grindr-victims-trial-burn-i-got-you-a7992871.html

Generally speaking and criminal acts aside my thoughts are very simple on the topic that everybody is responsible for their own sexual health, having sex comes with risks.

That said however in this case if what is being claimed about this guy is true, than I will not not feel sorry for him when they lock him away behind bars.

Jim
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 11:43:16 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline paintedroom

• Dx`d July 2016
Re: UK hairdresser accused of deliberately infecting his lovers with HIV
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 01:38:38 pm »
The mind boggles.
Dx`d mid July 2016
8/8/2016 - CD4 50     VL 50,000
5/9/2016 -  CD4 150
13/9/2016  VL  undetectable.
March `17 - CD4 193   VL undetectable.
March  `18 CD4 214    VL undetectable
March 2019 CD4 325  VL UD
Genvoya - Changed to Biktarvy feb 2021

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 05:52:56 pm »
My feeling about this case is that we the public are not fully informed and there are a lot unanswered questions and a lot does not add up.

I dove deep on the guy in the USA who was charged, convicted, appealed and then reconvicted. 

He is a low IQ person, who didn't understand everything, but there was some sort of tort, sure, but the partners should have protected themselves, and finally I think he was somewhat ramrodded.

I feel in my gut something similar is happening here.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/stcharles/ex-lindenwood-wrestler-gets-years-in-hiv-transmission-case-after/article_c8456661-4563-5bf1-a94c-22952dcc8956.html
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 06:08:08 pm »
I do agree that the newspaper reports are horrifying and he could well be a psychopath. 

However, are they yellow journalism? 

I have heard all that, and more, about Typhoid Mary HIV spreaders. 

I simply urge some scepticism until hopefully sage justice passes over the issue.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 07:43:58 pm »
One take of the story of "tiger mandingo"

https://www.thenation.com/article/reckless-prosecution-tiger-mandingo/

The good-looking Scottish "gay hairdresser" in Brighton, hmm... Typhoid Mary. Well if he really sent all those texts, it should be an open and shut case against him. I am going to assume they were all submitted as evidence?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 05:42:54 am »
Headlines are always sensationalised.

Reading statement made in the court by the victims, if true are horrific. If untrue its also horrific, we will see what the judge decides and hear what evidence there was later.

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 04:44:08 pm »
It is indeed horrific, but if he is convicted (and it hasn't happened yet) and the reports of his behaviour are true, then HIV would merely be the medium in which a psychopath was working. If he hadn't been positive then he could have just as easily turned to another medium - assault, drugs, weapons etc

The biggest frustration with this, is that I've seen some right-leaning US news outlets which are using the actions of this alleged nut-job as a reason to maintain barbaric HIV criminalisation laws in some states.

....The same outlets who would defend the right to bear arms when some nut-job uses a gun to kill a number of people....

HIV - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
well sentencing was today and He got life with a minimum term of 12 years, convicted of grievous bodily harm with intent in relation to HIV.

Jim

Guardian Today:

His six-week trial heard he embarked on a cynical and deliberate campaign to infect men with HIV, refusing treatment and ignoring advice from doctors.

He insisted on having unprotected sex with men, claiming he was “clean”. When they refused, he tampered with condoms, tricking them into thinking he was practising safe sex. Afterwards Rowe would become aggressive and taunted some of the men in text messages. He repeatedly lied to authorities and would use aliases with his victims.

Judge Christine Henson QC, sentencing, referred to his crimes as a “determined hateful campaign of sly violence”.

“You are the first individual to be sentenced for section 18 offences in the context of infecting others with HIV,” she said.

“With the full knowledge of the risk you posed to others and the legal implications of engaging in risky sexual practices, you embarked on a deliberate campaign to infect other men with the HIV virus.

“Unfortunately for five of the men you met your campaign was successful.”

The judge added: “They describe living with a life sentence as a result of your cruel and senseless acts. Many of those men were young men in their 20s at the time they had the misfortune to meet you.

“Given the facts of this case and your permissive predatory behaviour I cannot see when you would no longer be a danger to gay men.

“In my judgment the offences, taken together, are so serious, that a life sentence is justified. You will potentially remain a danger to others for the rest of your life.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/18/hairdresser-daryll-rowe-given-life-sentence-for-deliberately-infecting-men-with-hiv

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/04/18/hairdresser-sentenced-life-deliberately-infecting-men-hiv-tampering/
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline mecch

Anti-social personality disorder.  Pity. Otherwise he's a physically attractive man.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.