Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:15:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 473
Total: 474

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 58 and feeling lonesome  (Read 6231 times)

Offline pipmonk

• Hello from the UK
58 and feeling lonesome
« on: August 16, 2018, 10:18:19 am »
Hi everyone!

I trust the day is being a good one for you.  I'm in one of those places where everyone seems to be busy with their own stuff.  My back has been a pain issue for a while now, and my prostate cancer treatment is dragging on a bit.  However, the HIV status is in good shape thanks to the meds.  But mentally I'm sinking , and would like some kind words to kick start me again.

Pip (58 year old UK resident in need of some TLC)

Offline pipmonk

• Hello from the UK
Re: 58 and feeling lonesome
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 10:37:10 am »
ps;  any advice on how to deal with morbid thoughts on suicide?  I feel so lonely and not handling the loss of youth and friends very well.  Where I live there isn't much support, it is an isolated area.  I am thinking of moving back to London but other factors mean realistically I have to stay here.  I'm too old to get a new job, and because of health issues and lack of work experience I'm hugely unemployable.  I live in a good environment but no gay love or support as such.  I guess I need to strengthen my mental thinking.  Right?

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 10:49:51 am »
Fortunately, there are a number of forum members in the UK, so I'm sure some will chime in soon to give you some practical suggestions about local support groups and social-interaction opportunities.

In the meantime, and on a continuing basis, do keep in touch with this forum for support and guidance.  There are many people here who may be similarly situated, and they are caring, and can help via the internet community.

If you have suicidal ideation, please treat it seriously.  If you have not perused this already, please check out this link:

https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=69487.0

Please take care of yourself and keep in touch.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline MarkintheDark

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 02:03:39 pm »
Hello Pip -- Between the chronic pain and cancer treatments, I think it's completely understandable that what sounds to me like clinical depression would be a problem as you deal with unrelenting physical stressors.  And, certainly, isolation would contribute to that.  Caveat: I'm not a therapist. 

A couple thoughts.  For one, I'd imagine you might have some options on therapy and antidepressants via NHS, yes?  (A close friend in East Anglia dealt with brain cancer and has repeatedly told me of his positive experiences, even being out in the sticks past Cambridge).  I'd hope your fellow Brits might chime in on this with their own experience.  My take is you're dealing with, at the least, three medical challenges simultaneously, plus ancillary issues that would seem to be unavoidable consequences. 

For another, having spent years dealing with my own clinical depression, I found some online help with DepressionForums.org, including posts about suicidal ideation, therapies, etc.  I've found most of the members are US or GB, a similar forum format to POZ.  I've been on it a couple years, completely out about my status, challenges, etc., and have found nothing but acceptance and support.

PM if you like.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 01:47:27 pm by POZ Forum Moderators »
HIV dx - 02/93
AIDS dx - 07/01
Rilpivirine/Cabotegravir guinea pig since 01/17

Offline pipmonk

• Hello from the UK
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 03:08:23 pm »
Hi Mark, and Patrick (?) 

Thanks to both of you for taking time to write; I appreciate that.  Thanks Mark for the depressionforum link; I'll take a look. 

Sending all good vibes to you,

Pip

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 07:42:05 am »
Can you manage some kind of routine body work.  Massage therapy.

Or do some activity in a social situation such as swim or gym.  Maybe this would cut the isolation a bit?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline hippo1010

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2018, 11:12:11 am »
Hello. I can't offer any advice, but I hope you keep posting here. So sorry you are feeling down.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.