Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:12:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 646
Total: 646

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Lexapro and Weight Gain  (Read 7050 times)

Offline Mac2016

Lexapro and Weight Gain
« on: February 08, 2016, 04:44:48 pm »
Hi all,

After being diagnosed with KS last summer, I ended up with severe depression. I couldn't sleep or eat. It was a horrible place. My doc prescribed Lexapro. Things got better. It really did. I begged for a higher dose and then a higher dose. I loved it. I felt like me again. BUT, I found I could eat at the drop of a hat. Haagen Dazs became my best friend. At 5'8, I was nearing the 200 pound mark. Yeah, I was happier, but none of clothes fit. I wore sweats everywhere. This wasn't me. I use to take pride in my appearance.

So, last week, I decided to quit cold turkey. After a few brain zaps and some headaches, I actually feel better again. Some insomnia....but not too bad. I'm not depressed anymore, life is good. I've even lost a pound or two since last week. I'm on a good track.  I have to say, Celexa was worse withdrawing from. Lexapro was a bit easier.

Am I recommending that others try this?.....NO. I've been dealing with anti-depressants since 2010, I knew what to expect. I do recommend talking with your doctor to see what he/she thinks. Withdrawal from these pills can be tough. I don't know if it's true or not....but I heard that  anti-depressants block insulin in the body....hence the weight gain. I can't afford this, as diabetes runs in my family.

If you're thinking of stopping anti-depressants....get a doctor's advice first. They can wean you off a little at a time. Next, I just have to stop drinking diet soda.

Thanks for Listening,

Robbie
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 04:48:23 pm by Mac2016 »
12/2010  Diagnosed. CD-4 - 57  Viral Load - in the hundreds of thousands.

2011 - 2015 No Meds (BIG Mistake)

5/2015  CD-4  26                 VL  400,000
  6/2015   Started Triumeq
  7/2015   CD-4   81               VL  351
  7/2015   Diagnosed with KS...Reality Sets In.
  8/2015   CD-4   88               VL   96
  9/2015   CD-4  136              VL   59
11/2015   CD-4  143              VL   79
01/2016   CD-4  123              VL   22
(Ran a fever after surgery??)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Re: Lexapro and Weight Gain
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 07:58:12 am »
Robbie, not all antidepressants cause weight gain. I have been on Wellbutrin for years, plus Prozac and have not had weight gain.

Robbie is correct in people who want off antidepressants not stopping cold turkey. Robbie I'm not sure why you did this either, but you seem to be doing well.  If someone is on an antidepressant and wants off or to change, please consult with the doctor prescribing it.  Thanks.

Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Mac2016

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 11:52:18 am »
Hi Betty,

Thanks for your response! I tried Wellbutrin in 2012. It was like being on speed for me. The Celexa slowed me down and made stress tolerable. I became argumentative on Wellbutrin.

I have a problem with thinking I know more than my docs. When I was diagnosed with HIV in 2010, I thought I didn't need meds....I just thought I could wish it away. How naive. I guess I still have a lot to learn. I'm still doing the same thing to an extent.....only with my mental health. Although, I would never stop my HIV meds. I'm super compliant.

This past summer, the KS really threw me. There were lesions everywhere....including my face. I freaked. I became reclusive. I even went as far to find out where to get a beekeeper's mask so people wouldn't know what I had. HIV became real. It wasn't just an invisible illness. This is what I had to deal with.  I was petrified. I thought every pain and every cough would mean my demise. I lost my armor. The Lexapro gave me what I lost. I was told my HIV meds would take care of the lesions....which for the most part it has. They're fading. I've realized how precious life is to me, and I now need to cherish my health. Yes, it was a wake up call. I stopped smoking and decided to take care of myself. Maybe I found the silver lining to HIV...if there is such a thing. I will do whatever it takes to preserve my gift of life. (please excuse the corniness).

Thanks for listening,

Robbie :)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 12:00:24 pm by Mac2016 »

6/2015   Started Triumeq

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 05:58:02 am »
Robbie, we all have struggles with acceptance of our having HIV.  I've been positive for almost 30 years.  When I was diagnosed people were dying all around me.  I personally went through the wasting syndrome. I was 5'10" and got down to 80 lbs. I had Hospice care, had drawn up a power of attorney and made arrangements to have someone tale my daughter, who was 7 I believe. 

I took the meds back then as well as I could, which was very difficult. The meds were not what they are today.  I couldn't be 100% compliant because of the harsh side effects. Now I am compliant with my meds. 

I'm glad you're doing well. KS is a bitch, everything untreated HIV can cause is a bitch.  I'm glad you chose life.

Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Mac2016

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 08:21:09 am »
Hi Betty,

I am so glad you are still here....and things got better. I shouldn't complain at all. My struggles have been nothing in comparison to yours. 30 years ago the meds were questionable and scary.  Today, we are lucky we have what we have.

So, I had lesions! It almost seems laughable. HOW VAIN!! At least my viral load was going down and my CD-4 level was slowly rising. It was a small price.   I am slowly learning what's important and what isn't.  Everyday, is a life lesson. I'm trying to learn to no longer take small things for granted.

Again, I'm glad you're here, to calm us nervous newbies. I've read your posts and they are comforting and informative. We are all lucky to have you as a resource.

Thank you,

Robbie  :)

6/2015   Started Triumeq

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 02:04:21 pm »
I just cannot tolerate anti depressants at all. My body chemistry just hates them. I tried Paxil, it made me a sweaty, hazy mess, and I couldn't go to the bathroom for days. I tried Zoloft, it made me feel wired and grinding my teeth all the time, and couldn't sleep at all. Then, Lexapro. By far the best of the three, made me feel great, but the nausea was pretty bad initially. Then I just couldn't get any sleep on it and I was forgetting everything. I also felt really wired on it. Couldn't think straight, was kind of like I was moving in fast-motion. I also got a ton of belly fat and couldn't go to the bathroom on it.

So now I just refuse to take any anti depressants. A low dose beta blocker and xanax as needed work well and I feel in control. And have gotten lean again!
"I survived because I was tougher than anybody else".--Bette Davis

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline harleymc

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 09:04:45 pm »
Hey Mac, glad the corner has been turned.
Depression and anxiety had caused me to stop ART, so getting motivated about KS was a sign that I was ever so slightly getting ready to re-engage with the world on my terms.

KS was a wake up for me too. It faded fast after I recommenced my antiretrovirals but it's taken three years to get back into wearing short-sleeves and shorts in summer.

Good luck for the future.

Offline Mac2016

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 04:58:42 pm »
Me too, I couldn't shake the depression to save my life. The Lexapro got me through. I started to tolerate stuff better than I did.

I've weaned myself off as of last month. I was gaining way too much weight. I'm wondering if it's the Lexapro or the Triumeq....as the weight is very slow coming off. My tolerance for stuff is better. I try to keep busy.

I'm basically eating one meal a day.  I'm losing the belly. Still a 32W. My clothes are all 30W. It's slow.

I need to start running again!

Cheer me up!

Robbie :)

6/2015   Started Triumeq

Offline owt

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 10:14:53 pm »
I'm on the same situation, i just can't believe there's a lot of people out there taking HAART and doing their life very easy. :(

in my case i'm on Paxil and Klonopin... since 5 years ago,  i used to take 20mg of Paxil and 1mg (half pill) of klonopin and i was feeling ok but since i started HAART my depression and my anxiety went very bad, and i just cant stop eating. i had to increase my depression meds to 40mg of paxil and sometimes 2mg or 3 mg of klonoplin! (because of insomnia) my doc is ok with that, but i just cant feel like the old me, im always so tired, starving, depressed all this since i started the HAART.

i know i need to get an adjustment of my psychiatric meds so i'm seeing a new doc very soon but i don't know what's the problem if i have to get used to live tired and depressed the rest my life.

so sorry for being such negative, but it is the way i feel

Hector.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2016, 05:01:07 am »
Hector,

I would expect some weight gain to be normal as you only started HAART recently and have had a bumpy road, you body is still working on recovering, and adjusting.

Focus on the good side and keep taking your medication and continue treatment for the other issues your facing.

Do however keep engaging with your Doc and make sure to let them know how you are feeling and doing mentally as well as physically. Mental health and well being is very important. Also some meds and combination can really have an impact on your mental well being so do flag this.

Jim

« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 05:12:16 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.