Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 09:25:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773509
  • Total Topics: 66377
  • Online Today: 430
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 159
Total: 159

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Fast HIV progression - What does this mean?  (Read 3110 times)

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
Fast HIV progression - What does this mean?
« on: February 24, 2007, 06:48:35 pm »
I think most of us have been told it normally takes someone about 10 years to develop AIDS. Some people get it quicker and some are LTP.

What does it mean though if you progress to AIDS in a year or two after infection? Does this mean your body is not Strong enough to comabat the virus? or Does this mean that the Virus is more potent than the average strain?

I asked my doctor this question and he simply said "Everyone deals with this disease different, the average number is anywhere from 7-10 years to develop AIDS it has nothing to do with the strain you have but instead the way your body is reacting to the virus."

So my main question would be, Those of us progressing to AIDS faster will have it worse than those who don't?

Is someone who has only been infected for 2 years and has a 200CD4 count immune system/ body equally damaged to someone living with HIV 10 years with the same CD4 count of 200?

Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
Re: Fast HIV progression - What does this mean?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 06:54:47 pm »
Your doctor is spot on in my opinion.....and currently there are few markers to exactly tell how long the progression to AIDS would be. I guess I don't understand your question about "Have it worse" Could you rephrase it?

Rich
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline Londonguy

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 07:03:37 pm »
I think he means will the outlook be bleaker in those who progress to AIDS faster.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 07:50:46 pm »
Interesting. I managed to scream through seroconversion to full-blown AIDS and PCP within a year.

But that year was 1993-1994.

Not dead yet.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 08:13:33 pm »
It took me a long time to progress, but when it happened, it happened with a bang. If I didn't have the histo to contend with, I don't think I would feel as bad. I would hope that I wouldn't always be fatigued. I'm hoping as soon as I get my new medication things will start looking better. I'll just have to wait and see.

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 11:30:11 pm »
If that is the question then, the outlook is not bleaker. Look at the number of people on here who have had T-cells down to the single figures and high viral loads and managed to turn it around. It's not easy, I'm not pretending it is, but it sounds like from your other threads that you have a good ID doctor.

R
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline Mike89406

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 01:59:30 am »
I think most of us have been told it normally takes someone about 10 years to develop AIDS. Some people get it quicker and some are LTP.

What does it mean though if you progress to AIDS in a year or two after infection? Does this mean your body is not Strong enough to comabat the virus? or Does this mean that the Virus is more potent than the average strain?

I asked my doctor this question and he simply said "Everyone deals with this disease different, the average number is anywhere from 7-10 years to develop AIDS it has nothing to do with the strain you have but instead the way your body is reacting to the virus."

So my main question would be, Those of us progressing to AIDS faster will have it worse than those who don't?

Is someone who has only been infected for 2 years and has a 200CD4 count immune system/ body equally damaged to someone living with HIV 10 years with the same CD4 count of 200?

I don't think there is a logical way to predict the course of HIV/AIDS and life expectancy in everyone.
Statistics show us that people can in fact live past 20 or more years for example but since AIDS is in its youth meaning 25 yrs since the beginning of the crisis in the early 80's. I will still concede that not enough is known to make an individual model of how long till you die for example. Science is flawed and theories are constantly changing.

You could live to a ripe old age then again a bus could hit you in say two weeks. I have known some people who said in the 80's or 90's whenever some were diagnosed were in fact told to get they're affairs in order back then because they were going to die.

Having said all of that statistics also shows us that part of the sample size used in mortality rates from HIV/AIDS progression are people that live in the bottom of the totem pole for many reasons, to people living in the gold standard of health care etc... Different walks of life different levels of health and different parts of the spectrum  in they're progression. Sometimes people cannot or wont adhere to meds nor will they take care of themselves which could account for the short AIDS to death period in some.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 11:03:02 am »

I agree with your doctor. I was diagnosed as part of a cluster and everyone in this cluster was infected roughly around the same time. Some of us were on meds very quickly (either immediately or within a couple years) while others took longer. I'm the last one still not on meds and I'm going on ten years. When some of us were diagnosed with such bad numbers (and the clinic was aware of the infection time-lines) they said we must have had a virulent strain - but then they couldn't explain the rest of us who did ok. And yes, we all had the same source of infection.

Ann

*on edit* LOL... I didn't mean we were roughly infected, I meant it happened to all of us within a few months - at the longest a year - of each other. ;)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 11:05:24 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 11:25:38 am »
I have no way of really knowing how quickly I progressed seeing as how I didn't get tested for HIV until my diagnosis, but I figure it to be in the 5 year mark at most, but that would mean my first receptive anal intercourse did me in (late bloomer! though I had been sucking cock for 5 years by then)  And I had AIDS at diagnosis.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline koi1

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 11:44:07 am »
I don't know how long I have had this for. My last test was well over 13 years ago before the one that diagnosed me with AIDS. I do know that I suffered through a very emotionally traumatic year at work and noticed my health declining. I never got a seroconversion illness.

At the end of that school year,  I got more horrible news and that is when I really started to notice the sickeness (lots of digestive issues). By the time I was tested five months after that, I had AIDS.

I believe stress and how well you take care of your body, have a lot to do with how quickly we progress to AIDS.  Add to that genetics, super infection/drug resistance and the progression could be very quickly. I know that there are certain genes that seem to protect some Caucasians from it, but I don't know a lot about that. My brother in-law's sister in-law, never got it even after having lots of unprotected sex with her husband who died in 1994. She even had an HIV- baby from him. She is Latina, so go figure.

rob
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 11:45:55 am by koi1 »
diagnosed on 11/20/06 viral load 23,000  cd4 97    8%
01/04/07 six weeks after diagnosis vl 53,000 cd4 cd4 70    6%
Began sustiva truvada 01/04/07
newest labs  drawn on 01/15/07  vl 1,100    cd4 119    7%
Drawn 02/10/07
cd4=160 viral load= 131 percentage= 8%
New labs 3/10/07 (two months on sustiva truvada
cd4 count 292  percentage 14 viral load undetectable

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.