Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:24:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773218
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 591
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 590
Total: 592

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Alcohol and antidepressants  (Read 9405 times)

Offline Just John

Alcohol and antidepressants
« on: December 16, 2007, 05:49:09 pm »
I’ve been prescribed Citalopram (Celexa) for depression and I’m just getting over the weird initial effects.

I’ve heeded the warning so far to avoid alcohol but, to tell the truth I’m a bit of a lush on the quiet and with Christmas looming I’m not exactly looking forward to a sober one. :o

The patient leaflet only says “avoid” rather than “don’t”, so I guess I’m not going to drop dead the moment that the glass touches my lips, but I don’t want to run the risk of severe physical or mental effects.

Does anyone have any first hand experience?

John.

Sorry about the other three posts, I kept getting an error message telling me that the post hadn't uploaded.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 05:53:04 pm by Just John »
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Alcohol and antidepressants
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 02:58:53 pm »
John, even without knowing about your specific medical history I can say that mixing alcohol and anti-depressants is definitely a no-no.

You're playing around in dangerous territory with mixing those two in terms of your heart. 

I also don't know quite how to read "a bit of a lush on the quiet." Is that a code term for alcoholic? Kinda sounds that way to me.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 03:00:28 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline Just John

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 05:20:38 pm »
No Andy I'm not alcoholic nor a 'problem drinker'. :o

But I do enjoy a regular drink though and Yay - even more than is good for me on occasions but what the hell, both me and the medics are comfortable with my consumption and the liver seems to be escaping unscathed.

If anything changes I'll stop but until then a few (too many perhaps ;)) beers with friends or a relaxing G&T, brandy or glass or two of wine at the end of a long day would continue to be welcome.

I take on board what you say about the pills though and guess I'll just have to do without; for now  :(.

Thanks, John.

Offline NLEWLAD

• Anything is possible, ANYTHING
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 04:25:27 pm »
Hi John i am also on Citalopram, 20mg, and i use alcohol only at weekends, i limit my alcohol intake to 1 bottle of wine split over Fri/Sat

Generally i would not condone the use of alcohol with A'D's  but at the end of the day, i needed a relaxing release, the only side effect i experienced was increased fatigue.

if wine is your thing then how about mixing wine with soda water/lemonade.

hope this helps and hope i have not violated any forum rules.

Simon - Location Manchester England
Negative test 10/11/07
Tested poz 28/12/07
Confirmed WB 07/01/08
Sero-converted Late December 07

Date        CD4            %              VL

7/01/08   1273 :)      N/A       100,232
24/01/08   755 :(      42%         4,010
13/2/08     922 :)      45%       78,234
09/04/08   652 :(      38%       36,604
05/05/08   936 :)      39%       38,952
07/07/08   844 :)      34%       24,000
12/11/08   753 :(      31%       45,600
no meds yet:)

Offline NLEWLAD

• Anything is possible, ANYTHING
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 04:33:31 pm »
Hi John, i am not sure where you live but   on the UK's National Health Service there is a link regarding alcohol and anti-depressants

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleId=863

Selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors (SSRIs)

Some evidence shows that fluoxetine does not produce side effects (interact) with alcohol. Similarly, sertraline, paroxetine or citalopram seem unlikely to significantly increase any side effect associated with drinking alcohol. However, there may be a slight increase in the effects of alcohol if you are taking fluvoxamine.

Manufacturers of SSRIs recommend that alcohol should be avoided while you are taking these medicines because, like all antidepressants, they can adversely affect your performance of skilled tasks, such as driving, and operating machinery.

So really its up to you the research shows that citalopram does not interact with alcohol but the manufacturers do not recomend it.  its your choice.
Simon - Location Manchester England
Negative test 10/11/07
Tested poz 28/12/07
Confirmed WB 07/01/08
Sero-converted Late December 07

Date        CD4            %              VL

7/01/08   1273 :)      N/A       100,232
24/01/08   755 :(      42%         4,010
13/2/08     922 :)      45%       78,234
09/04/08   652 :(      38%       36,604
05/05/08   936 :)      39%       38,952
07/07/08   844 :)      34%       24,000
12/11/08   753 :(      31%       45,600
no meds yet:)

Offline Just John

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 05:42:16 pm »
Thank you.

To be honest I re-read the info leaflet with the tablets and also ran this by the support nurse at my clinic. He advised against drinking at all of course but also said that it wouldn't cause any permenant damage in moderation.

So I went ahead and warily tried a couple with which I was ok - so I went on to have a merry christmas.  ;) :)

John

Offline planonstaying

• Hiv is the FOX,tcells the rabbit, CALL the HOUNDS!
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 10:38:40 am »
Alcohol  can be a contributing factor for depression. i don't drink because of it. I tend to drink daily or near daily but not more than 1-3 when i drink but it definitely effects my mental health when i do. I am much happier and feel much more vibrant when i don't drink. I was taking lexapro for a  bit but between the sexual side effects, somnolence and, weight gain i couldn't handle it. it was great for the depression though. I am on wellbutrin now
If someone tells you  potential consequences of a behavior  it  doesn't  mean they jude you or mit    they may just give a shit about you

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.