Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:21:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 201
Total: 201

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: A Lot Can Happen in Three Weeks  (Read 7518 times)

Offline Lostgirl

A Lot Can Happen in Three Weeks
« on: October 23, 2007, 02:54:50 pm »
Hello Everyone

Well it has been a few weeks since I last posted, and, I cannot believe that it is only nine short weeks since I found out I was HIV+.  In that time I have become a new person, realising how lucky I am.  Yes, lucky.  I found a wonderful GP and a wonderful ID Consultant with whom I feel very secure.  I also have the most wonderful family and friends.  My sister came to visit and I told her within two days, then phoned my son, my daughter and my two closest friends.  I had to phone because I am so far from home living here in the US.  I had, over the previous couple of weeks, warned them via e-mails that my husband was very sick (he is doing SO much better) and I had also concerns for my health.  All of family and friends being intelligent had read between the lines so the shock wasn't so great as it could have been when I told them.  THEY WERE ALL ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC, SUPPORTIVE AND LOVING.  Hence, I AM SO LUCKY. 

My consultant phoned me today and my CD4 levels have dropped a little and my VL is up which made the decision to start meds easier - I was borderline before.  We discussed Combivir and Sustiva and I realise this is the most typical drug combination for first time users so I am going to start my meds this week.  Wish me well!  I have been told of the vivid dreams Sustiva can produce - come on, if they involve a nice young man and lots of loving!! (Don't tell my husband!).

After the trauma of my husband infecting me we have been working very hard at our marriage.  Most of our days are great and we work most hard at spending quality time together just being and talking.  I am sure between meds and everyday events we will have our downs as well as ups, but who doesn't?

My next goal is to get involved/training in counselling and education for women to prevent/deal with HIV.  I am going to give myself a little time to work on the meds and mental health issues this year, but look out 2008!

I hope all of you on the Forums are doing well and a special word to the newly diagnosed woman - there is always hope and a future.  It may not be what you imagined your life would be, but sometimes it is better.

Love and hugs
Lorraine aka Lostgirl (part of my new approach is to not be ashamed of who I am.  My name is Lorraine, I am a woman who happens to have a virus)
Lostgirl

Offline structuredjen

Re: A Lot Can Happen in Three Weeks
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 03:09:40 pm »
I am not positive, but I am a woman who is madly in love with my positive man.  If it's not appropriate for me to post here, please let me know and I'll certainly refrain in the future. I just.... 

.....wanted to take a quick minute to tell the beautiful Lorraine - I am SO proud of you. :)

Congratulations on taking this bull by the horn!

Much love from Michigan-

Jen

Offline Dragonette

• Spring symptoms
    • NotPerfectAtAll
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 03:16:10 pm »
Hi Lorraine

great to hear everything is going so well, esp about your husband/family/friends.

i always think I have nothing much to contribute, being relatively new and still confused (yes), but you made me see that the time is now. of course it's easier to consider when you live in a country where, although a foreigner, you can speak the local language pretty much like a local  :P

combivir + sustiva was my first combo, I didn't have major complaints except for anemia, I later switched to viread+epivir+sustiva. then later ditched the sustiva for viramune, now had to switch the viramune to invirase+norvir, b/c of resistance, all this in under 2 years... I think my 2nd combo (or 2nd & third) are the recommended ones here, it's just that I couldn't intially take it b/c it was not available where I was diagnosed. as soon as it became available I switched though.

all the best to you, and good luck with everything

"If you keep one foot in yesterday, and one in tomorrow, you piss all over today". Betty Tacy

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 04:46:17 pm »
(((BIG HUGS)))..from a fellow Jockess... ;)

Love
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 04:51:11 pm »
My next goal is to get involved/training in counselling and education for women to prevent/deal with HIV.  I am going to give myself a little time to work on the meds and mental health issues this year, but look out 2008!

I hope all of you on the Forums are doing well and a special word to the newly diagnosed woman - there is always hope and a future.  It may not be what you imagined your life would be, but sometimes it is better.

Love and hugs
Lorraine aka Lostgirl (part of my new approach is to not be ashamed of who I am.  My name is Lorraine, I am a woman who happens to have a virus)

Lorraine

You're amazing--coming through this like greased lightning. You made my day. Just got home from first day of hiv prevention training, happy to PM with you about it.

Ta.
Ta.
and Ta!
Em

Offline englishgirl

• ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 04:58:16 pm »
hi lorraine
this is fab news and i wish you all the best
also, i think you will find you get a huge amount from getting involved in +ve speaking/prevention work. i certainly do (although im doing a whole day made up of 4 sessions tomorrow so maybe i wont feel so great after that ;) :D)
lots of love
xxxxxx
ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN:
http://campaigning.tht.org.uk/cms/cmsloader?WfJVLp&view=11,301,1385,0,-html

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=17352.0

"I'm not keen on the idea of the afterlife - not without knowing who else will be there and what the entertainment will be. Personally I'd rather just take a rest." Oscar Berger, PWA: Looking AIDS in the Face, 1996. RIP.

tendai

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 03:26:46 am »
Hie Lorraine
its great that u're dealing with this so well u are indeed lucky to have the liove and support of your family and friends, it makes everything a lot simpler i imagine. and then u want to give to others thats just great girl. wish i was as brave as u
i wish u all the best!

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 05:50:35 am »
Lorraine, so glad to hear things are going so well for you!  Glad you and your husband are having some healing time together.  Don't worry about going on meds.  It's something we all have to eventually do (well, most of us anyway).  Yes, the dreams from Sustiva can be quite vivid, like you said, sometimes they are totally erotic.  I wish you all the best in your HIV training.  What exactly will you be doing with that?

Jen, I don't see why you can't post here from time to time.  What part of Michigan are you from?  I'm originally from Niles, not sure if you know where that is or not.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Lostgirl

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 10:03:53 am »
Hi Everyone
Well as usual you have managed to humble me with the depth of your feelings and concerns, not just for me, but for everyone who writes to this Forum.  First of all I would like to say that I am not always so positive and directed in my new life, but I never blame it on the HIV.  After all I am a woman in her early 50s and who doesn't at that age feel unsure and down at times!!? 
Jen - it is always good to hear from you and I wish that you could also reply to us women here although I understand why it may make some people unhappy and who would say that there is the Forum on Someone I Care About but most of the wonderful women we regularly correspond with are here!  We will continue to keep in touch via e-mail and make each other laugh!
Dragonette - you have so much to contribute just by taking the time to speak to women who need to know someone is caring about them.  I owe my present state of mind to all you who took that time to let me know I was not alone.  Yes, it is a bit easier being in a Country whose language is pretty much the same(!).  I have lived in other countries in the past and know how difficult it can be when the language barrier is there.
Jan - You are my inspiration.  If I can manage to achieve half of what you have in the next few years I will feel myself a very lucky person indeed.  Will PM you soon. 
Em - I need all the advice I can get re training!  At the moment I am so keen to get involved but am holding myself back to make sure I am in a strong enough frame of mind to pursue what I want to do, but am convinced that by the beginning of the year I can start to put things in action.  I will PM you cos I long to hear about what you are doing.
Englishgirl - Would also love to hear about your training - sounds exhausting but so worthwhile.  Well done on going for it.
Tendai - You are brave.  I hope you find love and support in all your endeavours.  I know it makes all the difference.  Take care.
Bettytacy - My husband will be delighted to know that the dreams can be erotic - lets hope so!  Will help with the healing time!  Haven't started any training yet - will have to do a lot of research to find where I can attend etc.  My goal is to work with women (specifically women over 40) re reducating them that HIV can happen to anyone and also get involved in counselling those with HIV (I did do a counselling course a number of years ago but I want to concentrate on the HIV/AIDS aspect).  We may have to return to the UK sooner than expected and as I am from a very rural area I know there is a need for this type of work specifically for those so isolated.  Jan - I know you would agree with me here!
Anyway, off to pick up the meds!  Another part of life's cycle!
Take care and I think of you all every day.
Lorraine x

Lostgirl

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.