Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:23:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 624
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 615
Total: 616

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Unprotected insertive vaginal exposure/started prep at 34 hours.  (Read 10590 times)

Offline Bkhannah83

• Standard
Hello everyone. So i am a 34 years old heterosexual male. I had unprotected sex with 4 different women in Novemeber of 2017 on the following dates:
11/04
11/07
11/11 - this person has tested negative as i have seen the blood work results.
and 11/17.

I went through a messy divorce and just lost sight of what i was doing. No excuses, but i made my bed. I started to feel sick Novemver 29th with what I thought was a sinus infection. I took Augmentin Clav and prednisone for close to 3 weeks interchanging with Amoxicillin. For the the last 2 weeks of December i felt fatigued like i never did in my life. I also felt i was having extreme fever, but when i would take my temperature it would be normal. I had diarrhea for about 3 days, but attributed it to the antibiotics. Fast forward to January of this year and i am still feeling sick. I have had zero appetite since January 1st. I normally eat lots of food. I can “feel” my body fighting an infection as i have these feelings of heat throughout my body on and off. The past week my stool has been interchangeable between really soft almost diarrhea like to normal looking brown stool. Last night though i had the worst case of diarrhea I’ve ever had in my entire life where it was just straight liquid coming out. I’ve also been experiencing night sweats for the last month. I have taken the following Oraquick oral swab tests on the following dates:

12/7 - Negative
12/26 - Negative
01/08 - Negative
01/10 - Negative
01/15 - Negative
01/17 - Negative

I also went to CityMd yesterday (01/17) and took a rapid finger prick test called
Chembio HIV 1/2 Stat Pack Assay and the result was negative as well.

My last encounters since the last 2 tests range from 60-74 days. Can anyone give me any feedback on whether or not my results are accurate using the testing methods I’ve used so far. I really appreciate the feedback. Thank you ahead of time.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Unprotected insertive vaginal exposure/started prep at 34 hours.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 01:51:31 am »
Hi

Look I hope you feel better soon, but we don't discuss symptoms here, all i am willing to say is regardless of your HIV status, the symptoms you mentioned range from nothing to do with HIV at all to not HIV specific. If you are still sick see your doctor again and treat whatever is making you feel bad.   

My advice is to test again at 3 months post the last possible exposure for HIV and also to test for far easier to transmit STI's.  I do not expect the HIV test result to change but test to confirm that.

11/11 - this person has tested negative as i have seen the blood work results.

Good for her, she was HIV negative some 3 months before that test. This means nothing to you.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, every time, no exceptions.

Keep in mind that some sexual practices which may be described as ‘safe’ in terms of HIV transmission might still pose a risk for transmission of other STI's, so please do get fully tested regularly and at least yearly for all STI's including but not limited to HIV and test more frequently if unprotected intercourse occurs

Also note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms and the only way of knowing is by testing.

More information on HIV Basics, PEP, TaSP and Transmission can be found through the links in my signature to our POZ pages, this includes information on HIV Testing

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the AM I Infected Forum you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here . It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be deleted.

HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Bkhannah83

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 02:42:36 am »
Thank you, i really appreciate your reply. I am aware of the 3 month conclusive rule, but based on the tests I’ve taken, do you feel if i were indeed positive it would have popped up on a test by now? The most recent negative test is by Oraquick oral swab as well as Chembio HIV 1/2 Stat Pack assay at 60 days (8.5 weeks). How accurate is Chembio as i have never heard of it before and being that it was a finger prick requiring blood, is is more accurate than Oraquick oral swab? My PCP stated i would show positive by now if i used the Oraquick test correctly. Thank you again for the reply.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 03:43:11 am »
They are the same, in terms of being conclusive at 3 months.

The vast majority of people are detectable by 6 weeks, some test may  detect the antibodies slightly sooner, on average people will develop antibodies by about 22-28 days post initial infection, however that said some take a bit longer.  Due to outliers 3 months remains conclusive no mater what the test used.

So all I can tell you is that I do not expect the HIV test result to change but test to confirm that at 3 months mark.

Jim
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 03:59:56 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Bkhannah83

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 09:56:24 am »
Just to give an update, 2 other women have tested negative from 11/04 and 11/07. The most recent exposure ( 11/17) simply told me she does not have anything and refuses to speak to me any further. This one has me most nervous as it is most recent and because of how vague and evasive she is being.

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 10:36:57 am »
Their test results mean absolutely nothing, the only one that matters is your own.
As Jim has explained most will test positive for antibodies by 6 weeks and if I were you I would be somewhat relieved.
None the less a negative result at 13 weeks is conclusive.

You have a few more weeks to go, test and move on with your life with a lesson learned. Use condoms consistently and correctly going forward.

Best,

Wade
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
 HIV Transmission and Risks
 You can read more about Testing here:
 HIV Testing
 You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
 HIV TasP
 You can read more about HIV prevention here:
 HIV prevention
 You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
 PEP and PrEP

Offline Bkhannah83

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 09:56:09 pm »
Good morning/afternoon/evening everyone,

I had a scare several months ago and thankfully tested negative. I continued using condoms afterwards up until this past Saturday 07/15 at approximately 0600-0630 hours, I had unprotected vaginal sex with someone I was really into. We hungout all night Friday and had sex at the above time stated for about 20 mins - her on top, me from behind, me on top and some oral sex from her as well. I ejaculated on my bedsheets. She was extremely tight to enter, so I am assuming there may have been a slight tear, but I cannot confirm as I am only going by how it felt entering. Unfortunately, I'm assuming she woke up with guilt at around noon and we got into a big fight and haven't spoke since as she has since blocked me. Her HIV status is unknown, but I am assuming she is positive just for worst case scenario's sake, so I went and got PEP and popped the first dose of Truvada/Tivicay on Sunday at 1630 hours. So that is exactly 34 hours from exposure. I am circumcised, but do have HSV 1 and 2. I did not have an outbreak at the time, but I am aware of shedding. I've scoured the internet reading about everything related to PEP and here in NY they state that treatment should start no later than 36 hours, but I've read on the cdc website as long as it's before 72 hours and then read certain studies that stated anything after 48 hours is essentially the same as 72. Idk, but it's definitely got my mind spinning around.

1) the first 2 days I was on Truvada/Tivicay via a sexual health clinic that send over a starter pack over the phone to a nearby pharmacy. While waiting on that, I went to an urgent care to see if I could get the other 26 days prescribed to me as my PD was not available due to the weekend and him only being available on Wednesday's and Thursday's. The urgent care prescribed me a 26 day supply of Truvada and Isentress instead. Will the change in meds negatively effect the PEP regimen? I am on day 4 as of now, so the 1st two days were Truvada/Tivicay and the last 2 days have been Truvada/Isentress.

2) I am aware of testing at 6 weeks post PEP and then at 13 weeks. I have severe IBS so I am crossing my fingers the side effects will not enhance that as I have stopped taking Librax for my IBS as I did not want any drug interactions with the PEP. I'm also fearful of the fact that I do seroconvert that my IBS will mask the symptoms as it literally makes me feel like I have a daily fever behind my eyes (but no actual fever), no appetite, extremely loose stool, dehydration and fatigue.

3) I know no one can give me a definitive answer nor am I seeking to be told what I'd like to hear, but based off of all this info, how do things look? Like how effective is PEP? NYSDOH states it's around 80%. Has anyone ever reported back here from a high risk exposure having seroconverted after PEP? I appreciate the feedback, thank you. If I make it out of this negative I intend to go on PrEp, not as a substitute for condoms, but an additional barrier. This obviously was my fault.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 10:05:14 pm by Bkhannah83 »

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 11:14:08 pm »
Firstly, do not try to set up duplicate accounts.  So doing does not accelerate a response to you.  Moderators of this forum volunteer their time and respond to queries when they can as they go about their lives.

You had a risk, small as it may be (in terms of odds), since you did have unprotected vaginal sex. 

You are on PEP, which is enormously effective.

Ask your healthcare about changes in the PEP regimen, but I doubt that it will affect your chances of having contracted the HIV as a result of the activities you have described.

Continue your PEP regimen, as prescribed, and test for HIV-antibodies as your healthcare provider suggests (often at six weeks past potential exposure, then at 13 weeks past for confirmation of the six week results.

I fully expect that your conclusive test will be negative for HIV-antibodies.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Bkhannah83

• Standard
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2018, 01:22:22 am »
Truthfully, it was an honest mistake creating the 2nd account as I forgot I had an account here and realized it after making the 2nd account. I definitely apologize. As for the change in PEP regimen, would it be advisable to see out the 26 days of Truvada/Isentress after switching from Truvada/Tivicay? I only ask due to the fact that if I switched back to Truvada/Tivicay then it would have been 2 days Truvada/Tivicay, then 2 days Truvada/Isentress and then a switch back to Truvada/Tivicay? I'm genuinely asking for help as I do not want to come off as indecisive, it's just that the sexual health clinic would only supply a 2 day start pack and the urgent care decided on prescribing the Truvada/Isentress after the 1st script was filled for the Truvada/Tivicay. I had to get to so many overrides through my insurance as they refused to fill the additional 26 days through my local pharmacy and instead said because it is a specialized medication, it is mandatory mail service. They approved me an emergency 7 day supply to be picked up from CVS which is what I am on now. So in total I have a 9 day supply and am actually in need of filling an additional 19 days which I am expecting. Sorry for all of the confusion. Is there an official percentage on how effective PEP is? I've seen anywhere from 79% to 87%. Thanks for the rapid responses.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 02:44:32 am »
You started on Truvada/Tivicay and than you was given Truvada/Isentress for the rest of the PEP course . So do that and follow the instructions given to you.

The only way of knowing if it was effective for you is by testing. Ill add you should also be testing for far easier to transmit STI's whilst you are at it.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, every time, no exceptions. Consider starting PrEP as a routine as an additional layer of protection against HIV.

Keep in mind that some sexual practices which may be described as ‘safe’ in terms of HIV transmission might still pose a risk for transmission of other STI's, so please do get fully tested regularly and at least yearly for all STI's including but not limited to HIV and test more frequently if unprotected intercourse occurs

Also note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms and the only way of knowing is by testing.

More information on HIV Basics, PEP, TaSP and Transmission can be found through the links in my signature to our POZ pages, this includes information on HIV Testing

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the AM I Infected Forum you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here . It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be deleted.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Bkhannah83

• Standard
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 11:26:13 pm »
Good morning/afternoon/evening all,

So I've ran into a bit of a dilemma. I just remembered I had an unprotected risk on 06/24. Started with a condom, but ended with about 8 mins of unprotected unfortunately. This literally just hit me and my brain is scrambling even more now in addition to the original story of my thread from 07/14 and starting PEP after 34 hours.

Here are my questions:

1) Being that I am already taking Truvada for PEP, but I understand it can be taken as PrEP also minus the Isentress, would it be advisable to continue taking Truvada as PrEP in the event I do end up negative I can already have it in my system or in the event I do end up positive as I have read if you stop taking it and turn up positive it is possible to develop a resistance to it if you start it again.

2) Will an antibody test only show an accurate result when you are off PEP/PrEP? Or will you test positive regardless? I ask because I've read numerous threads where it says it can delay seroconversion etc etc and I am wondering if I stay on Truvada will it just be delaying a negative/positive antibody test? I intend to test according to the testing guidelines provided here. I am looking for direction on what the best course of action is. The unprotected exposure from 06/24 was 3 weeks prior to starting PEP and unfortunately I did not test prior to get starting PEP. I just don't want to risk stopping the Truvada and then turning up positive and then not being able to go back on it.

3) Also when should i accurately test for the exposure from 06/24? If I test once my PEP regimen is done for the 07/14 exposure, it will have been 7 weeks (4 weeks post exposure for 07/14), but then again idk if the PEP will delay an accurate result :(.
FYI, I've been on PEP for 5 days now and idk if it's the PEP or a symptom of ARS from the 06/24 exposure, but I now have this bump/welt literally right above my collarbone. It looks like a pimple, but it's not. I wish I could take a picture of it and post it so everyone can see and give me an opinion.

Thank you for your feedback.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 11:55:02 pm by Bkhannah83 »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2018, 03:37:29 am »
Lets keep this simple.

You are taking PEP so once you finish the course test at 6 weeks and again at 3 months post finishing the cource. This is conclusive. If you stay on PrEP alone it will make no difference to this window as its already including an additional 30 days than normal

If you decide to continue to take truvada as PrEP to add an additional layer of protection against HIV from furture events first speak to your doctor.

People on PrEP should be testing routinely for STI's & HIV anyway and if someone with PrEP has an exposure we add 30 days to the window period for testing.

You're over thinking things. Simply stop it, take your PEP and test as per guidelines

Jim
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 03:45:12 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Bkhannah83

• Standard
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2018, 04:57:17 pm »
Hey everyone, question as i wait to finish PEP and yest accordingly. I was given a 2 day emergency starter pak of Truvada/Tivicay and then an emergency fill for only 7 days of Truvada/Isentress because my insurance was giving issues approving meds without prior authorization and would only mail it. That’s 9 days total I’ve been on PEP. My insurance approved a script for Truavda/Isentress, but sent me a full 30 day supply for both which would put me at 39 days if i finished it out (I don’t plan on doing 39 days). My questions are:

1) do i just take the remaining 19 days of PEP which would equal 28 days (two days Truvada/Tivicay, 26 days Truvada/Isentress) or

2) do i take 21 days of PEP which would equal 30 days (two days Truvada/Tivicay, 28 days Truvada/Isentress) because of the change in regimen?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 05:09:50 pm »
The moderators of this forum, who are not medical professionals, do not dispense medical or pharmaceutical advice:  it would be inappropriate and irresponsible to do so.

The purpose of this forum is to assess risks for potential HIV-infection.

Please direct your worthwhile question to the healthcare provider who prescribed your PEP regimen or to the pharmacist who filled your PEP prescription(s). 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Bkhannah83

• Standard
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2018, 09:21:18 am »
Good morning/afternoon/evening all,

Thank you for the prompt responses, i really appreciate it. So i am wondering about the testing timeline for my first unprotected exposure on 06/24. Started with condom, ended with 8 mins of unprotected vaginal insertion. With respect to testing guidelines and PEP and also not overthinking things, being that i started PEP 3 weeks later for my unprotected exposure on 07/14, what would you say would be an accurate timeline to test for the exposure on 06/24? I am equally worried about both obviously, but a little bit more about the one on 06/24 as i took nothing afterwards. I understand there is no certainty even with the PEP, but naturally i am just wondering would you say testing after finishing PEP would be accurate regarding my 06/24 exposure? That would make it 7 weeks post exposure. I understand only a 3 month is conclusive regarding anything, but i mean in regards to the typical 6 week, 3 month post PEP tests etc etc. i am just wondering if the PEP regimen started 3 weeks after the fact would delay an accurate result from the 06/24 exposure in any way. I hope i explained myself correctly, apologies for any confusion. I must say, ever since switching to Truvada/Isentress i have been experiencing some major myalgia since day 5 (day 3 on that combo) that i never experienced before on a prior PEP regimen of Truvada/Tivicay. Thanks again.

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2018, 09:39:46 am »
Just keep it simple. Test at 6 weeks and 3 months following the PEP course for conclusive results.

Worrying about previous risk events and trying to work out what delay there could be as a result of the PEP course is completely futile and just leads to confusion and additional anxiety.

So just test based on the formal post PEP guidelines and then get on with your life.
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Offline Bkhannah83

• Standard
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2018, 03:00:26 pm »
I understand. The only reason i asked was due to reading a post from Ann on 10/21/13 about someone testing 6 weeks post exposure after taking PEP and having had it been only 2 weeks post PEP it will only show that you were negative approx 6 weeks before starting PEP. So was wondering if i tested right after completing PEP if a negative result meant I’d have been negative 7 weeks prior to starting PEP in regards to my exposure from 06/24, which theoretically would be a good indication of being negative from that exposure, but not conclusive? I guess what I’m asking is me testing at the end of PEP, having started it 3 weeks later and being 7 weeks post exposure similar to testing 3 weeks post PEP if i started PEP at the beginning of that exposure 7 weeks total as well? Thank you.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 03:09:17 pm by Bkhannah83 »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2018, 03:14:21 pm »
Any negative result is a good sign however we have given you, for your own situation,in the here and now a risk assessment.

Its simple test at 6 weeks and 3 months following the PEP course for conclusive results. This is conclusive over both incidents you mentioned here.

Please do not ask again as its getting way past excessive and the answer is not going to change. Now subscription or not it will lead to a 30 day time out if you continue

Jim
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 03:16:55 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Bkhannah83

• Standard
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2018, 03:19:44 pm »
I apologize. I guess i was more concerned regarding the first exposure and was looking for a more clear answer regarding that exposure in particular. I apologize.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2018, 03:22:23 pm »
You're first exposure will already be covered by testing at the correct times post PEP you took for your 2nd exposure.

test at 6 weeks and 3 months following the PEP course for conclusive results. This is conclusive over both incidents you mentioned here.

No need to overthink this at all. You seem to be creating a level of drama trying to work out something that is irrelevant
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Bkhannah83

• Standard
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2019, 06:01:51 pm »
Hello everyone, Happy Memorial Day weekend. I've had a situation before and came to this site for information that proved helpful. Here is what happened.

I had unprotected insertive vaginal intercourse with a woman of unknown status on 3/19 at 1am and again at 8 am. I am circumcised. The woman changed her number the next day on morning of the 20th. Naturally I was scared of the what if's and started  PEP (truvada/isentress) on 03/20 at 10:30pm, which is 46 hours from the first exposure. My treatment was then switched to Stribild on 03/22 because the other time I took Truvada/Isentress the side effects were terrible. I completed the regimen as directed, 1 pill of Stribild every day for 28 days. I know you don't discuss symptoms, but 3 days after finishing I have had non stop symptoms. for 5 days I had severe stomach pain and diahrrea. After that stopped, I experienced muscle pains and tender lymph nodes for the last 5 weeks consistently. Fatigue on and off, but more on than off and still ongoing. The last 2 weeks I've experienced severe cluster headaches behind my eyes and also facial pain from time to time. So basically the last 6 weeks since I stopped PEP I've had non stop symptoms that persist as I sit here typing. I planned on going on Prep prior to this incident as I had been using condoms after my last incident, but here I am again with another bone headed decision. I've taken 5 Oraquicks since I completed PEP.

04/28 - negative
05/05 - negative
05/12 - negative
05/19 - negative
05/26 - negative

How much stock could I put in a negative Oraquick 2 days short of 6 weeks (40 days) post PEP? Have you ever encountered anyone on this website ever that has had a PEP failure? Was it right for the doctor the switch me to Stribild? I just can't get over how bad I've been feeling and i know it's not anxiety causing these symptoms because sometimes the headaches are unbearable.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2019, 06:12:14 pm »
Hello everyone, Happy Memorial Day weekend. I've had a situation before and came to this site for information that proved helpful. Here is what happened.

I had unprotected insertive vaginal intercourse on 3/19

started  PEP (truvada/isentress) on 03/20 46 hours from the first exposure. My treatment was then switched to Stribild I completed the regimen as directed, 1 pill of Stribild every day for 28 days.

So basically the last 6 weeks since I stopped PEP

Hiya, I cut your post down to what is relevant, also i've merged your threads.
Please only post in this one thread going forward- Thank you.

Its simple test at 6 weeks and 3 months following the PEP course for a conclusive result. Start using condoms, no exceptions! Consider starting PrEP in the future to provide an additional layer of HIV protection.

Jim
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 06:14:29 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Bkhannah83

• Standard
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2019, 06:20:39 pm »
I'm sorry, I still don't know how to navigate this website in terms of that lol my sincerest apologies. Is Oraquick good for testing Post PEP or do you recommend blood drawn tests? Have you seen any PEP failures on this website before? I'll definitely be testing 3 months Post PEP just to be on the safe side. It's just weird to me that when I stopped PEP is when I've been experiencing all of these symptoms non stop for the last 6 weeks. While on PEP, I only experienced a slight loss of muscle mass and muscle weakness and fatigue that stopped a few days after I completed PEP.

Side bar: any suggestions on where to visit in Dublin as a tourist? I have a trip booked for September

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2019, 06:37:17 pm »
I'm sorry, I still don't know how to navigate this website in terms of that lol my sincerest apologies. Is Oraquick good for testing Post PEP or do you recommend blood drawn tests? Have you seen any PEP failures on this website before? I'll definitely be testing 3 months Post PEP just to be on the safe side.

Simply test with any approved antibodies test. PEP, it is not a guarantee if it was you would not need to test  ;) Its also not something to start counting on instead of basic prevention like condoms and/or PrEP.  Yes, there are cases of PEP failing.

It's just weird to me that when I stopped PEP is when I've been experiencing all of these symptoms non stop for the last 6 weeks. While on PEP, I only experienced a slight loss of muscle mass and muscle weakness and fatigue that stopped a few days after I completed PEP.

Nothing to do with HIV for multiple reasons i'm not going to get into with you, hence i ignored it from your last post.  What it could be well just about everything or nothing at all, some example:  Stress, side effects, anxiety, appetite changes, other bugs and/or illnesses, so simply see your GP if you are sick but stop hyper-focusing on yourself and finding symptoms. 

Best, Jim

Side bar: any suggestions on where to visit in Dublin as a tourist? I have a trip booked for September

I would recommend the Phoenixpark & from Dublin you get a 35 min train down to Bray to visit the promenade and, Bray head 

1) http://phoenixpark.ie
2) https://www.bray.ie/bray-head-walk/

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Bkhannah83

• Standard
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2019, 06:50:24 pm »
Ok great thanks for the advice. I definitely plan on getting on Prep if I make it out this situation. Thanks for the info on where to go in Dublin also. Do you foresee my 6 week result changing? also I had one other question: How come on the CDC updated nPEP guidelines in 2016 it says to test baseline, 4-6 weeks and 3 months post exposure whether prescribed PEP or not? Testing Post PEP is also suggested by the CDC? Is it possible for you to provide me with a link stating such. Not that I am doubting anything on this site, but that's all I was able to find online from the CDC. Thanks for all of the prompt responses.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2019, 07:48:06 pm »
Hiya,

I'm fully aware of what the CDC says, its based on a number of factors, you can ask them if you like. Now there has always been two trains of thoughts on testing post PEP so this is nothing new. 

There was a nice presentation from R.Harrington in 2016 on this topic https://depts.washington.edu/nwaetc/presentations/uploads/219/nonoccupational_hiv_post_exposure_prophylaxis_npep.pdf

Anyhow, I lean towards being more conservative train of thought when given testing guidelines in combination with ART usage (HIV Meds). ART if taken correctly rarely fails, although there are cases when it fails resulting in acute infection causing  delayed detection.  Hence rule of thumb is PEP is a 28 day delay so simply apply testing guideline post finishing PEP and for PrEP users they should be testing routinely.

2015:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4641668/
2017:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5578893/

There is plenty more studies and case reports over the years from oPEP/nPEP & PrEP above is an example, if you really want to go study it in length than by all mean do it should take you a few weeks  ;)  but ill warn upfront I'm not a librarian or interested in discussing every paper published over the past 2 decades. 

End of the day its simple, accept the assessment or not its totally up-to-you but its not going to change.

Test at 6 weeks and 3 months following the PEP course for a conclusive result.
Now if opt to test with a blood-drawn lab test instead at 6 weeks post PEP the result will rarely ever change, the 3 month mark is then for rare outliers/peace of mind.

Do start going forward using condoms, no exceptions! Consider starting PrEP in the future to provide an additional layer of HIV protection.

Jim
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 07:59:29 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Bkhannah83

• Standard
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2019, 08:16:55 pm »
Great thank you so much for the references. I'm definitely accepting the assessment, I honestly was just curious. So a blood test would be better to test with at 6 weeks than an Oraquick? Thanks for the responses and references.

The video of Bray looks amazing. I'd imagine the Guinness must taste amazing over there (if you drink).

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2019, 05:35:01 am »
Its not better just the accuracy within the window period is somewhat higher.

You're welcome.   
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Bkhannah83

• Standard
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2019, 01:14:23 pm »
Hey how’s it going Jim. So today i tested using an Oraquick and tested negative. Today makes 12 weeks post exposure and 8 weeks post PEP. I understand I must test at 3 months to get a conclusive result, but I’m just wondering how strong would you consider an 8 week post PEP test using Oraquick? I’m still experiencing the same symptoms from when i stopped PEP and they come and go. Sometimes the headaches are really bad as well as the groin pains. I know you can’t diagnose HIV through symptoms, but overall how do you think things are looking so far?

I took 2 Oraquicks today just to be certain.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 01:26:23 pm by Bkhannah83 »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2019, 01:22:18 pm »
If you have had no other exposure then I do not expect you result to change should you retest.

As for your symptoms, stop focusing on HIV see you GP and, treat whatever is making you sick. Whilst you at it make sure to test for easier to acquire STI's, you should be doing this at least yearly as standard routine.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Bkhannah83

• Standard
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2019, 01:27:15 pm »
Wow that was a speedy reply, you’re amazing lol. Yes it was my only exposure

Offline Bkhannah83

• Standard
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2019, 01:29:02 pm »
I read in an article that Orasure updated the raw materials and whatnot concerning the Oraquick to detect earlier for seroconversion in 2015. So the oraquick home test detects earlier now? Just wondering if you heard about this.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2019, 02:25:26 pm »
Wow that was a speedy reply, you’re amazing lol. Yes it was my only exposure

Thanks for the compliment, i happened to be a work break though so speed of answer is mostly just good luck around here.

The window on the test is 12 weeks, this has not changed. You are testing if i am counting correctly at 12 weeks post encounter. I also know its 8 weeks post PEP, the very conservative side of the assessment as explained will not say conclusive although i seriously expect no change.

Stop reading CYA documents, test at 12 weeks post PEP if you want to be on the careful side, in the meantime see your GP and, treat whatever is making you sick. Whilst you at it make sure to test for easier to acquire STI's, you should be doing this at least yearly as standard routine.

Try to not focus on it though, because it will just lead to you overthinking the topic.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 02:28:13 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Bkhannah83

• Standard
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2019, 02:22:17 am »
Hey how's it going Jim. I just tested negative on an Oraquick. That makes it 13 weeks post exposure and 9 weeks post PEP. l am still suffering from the same symptoms since I stopped PEP. Severe headaches above my eye and almost feel like in my eye, groin pain, pain on my right side of my body and my right face/jaw hurt a lot. I have 2 questions. I started using Creatine towards the end of PEP and am still using it, is there any possibility that due to a possibility of PEP (Stribild) increasing creatinine levels and me also using creatine that this may be causing my symptoms I've been experiencing? The timing is just a little too ironic for me. A part of me feels like I would have tested positive if I was indeed experiencing ARS symptoms for close to 9 weeks, even if using an Oraquick or am I wrong? My second question is, the last few times I've taken an Oraquick my gums were bleeding a tiny bit. Are you aware of whether or not if the little bit of blood on the swab would cause false negatives? I read on the Oraquick website that blood on the swab from the gums would not alter the test results, but then read a few studies where it was stated that bleeding gums could potentially alter IGg levels. I'm just really curious on all of this. I know I have to go to my doctor to attend to what is possibly making me sick, but I want to make sure I am conclusively negative before doing so or positive for that matter. Thanks for your help so far.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 02:24:59 am by Bkhannah83 »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2019, 03:06:19 am »
Hiya

Your concern would not effect the test results. The result you have will rarely ever change.

Now about being sick, I do not understand why you are waiting. If you are sick see your GP and, treat whatever is making you sick before whatever it is causes serious issues

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Bkhannah83

• Standard
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2019, 12:24:47 pm »
I have an appointment for July 1st. Do you think that if hypothetically i were experiencing seroconversion these last 9 weeks that even with Oraquick i would have tested positive by now? Or could the PEP have dropped the antibody level that low in saliva?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2019, 12:41:37 pm »
I don't really do what if's ... ill play along once, If your symptoms had anything to do with initial HIV (They don't) your test would have lit up like a Xmas tree on Christmas eve.

PEP or HIV treatment does not change the antibodies level ... anyhow the result you have will rarely ever change, test at 3 months post PEP for a conclusive result if that gives you peace of mind.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 12:44:10 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Bkhannah83

• Standard
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2019, 03:06:55 pm »
Hey Happy Monday Jim. I took an Oraquick this morning (negative) which makes it 10 weeks post PEP. I’m hoping to see the light at the end of the tunnel with a 12 week negative, despite the lower scale of accuracy for Oraquick. I’d imagine by now with the amount of negative Oraquick’s taken by me that it’s a consistent negative, but I’m not jumping the gun for it to be conclusive. Logging my weekly results here are kind of a good coping mechanism for this and hopefully can be somewhat of a reference point for anyone else who has taken PEP and using Oraquick’s because i barely could find anything online regarding it. It’s normally in regards to a 4th generation test, but I’d imagine even with the a much earlier generation I’d show positive by now. Well my doctor’s appt is on July 1st so crossing my fingers. Am i in a safe zone at 10 weeks out? I remember reading how you once saw someone test positive at 11 weeks before, so i guess there’s always exceptions. How did you first find out about this website Jim? Is there more of a stigma in Ireland regarding positive people? My cousin has been positive for 30 years and still faces negative situations in NY. It’s tough.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2019, 01:49:58 pm »
Hiya,

Found the site through google and, stigma is a wide concept but sure there is discrimination against those living with HIV. On a day-to-day basis, it is not something that bothers me personally 

Anyhow, I do not expect your result to change. Try to relax.

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Bkhannah83

• Standard
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2019, 09:38:40 pm »
Hey Jim. I tested negative again today at 15 weeks post exposure and 11 weeks post PEP with Oraquick. I’m swabbing exactly how the instructions show on the website’s video. How do you feel about the Oraquick at this point? My Doctors appt was rescheduled today for the 8th (doctor was not in the office). Does HCV delay HIV antibody detection? Not saying i have it, but still feel like crap and just wondering how long it could delay it. What other factors can delay HIV antibody detection past 3 months?

Offline Bkhannah83

• Standard
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2019, 02:30:38 am »
Sorry wrong date, my appt was rescheduled to July 18th, not July 8th.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2019, 03:20:00 am »
In reality Hepatitis will not slow down the formation of HIV antibodies.
You need to stop looking for issues now, your not on a deathbed or undergoing chemo, so stop stressing, see the doctor on the 18th and then move on with your life.

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Bkhannah83

• Standard
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2019, 05:34:31 pm »
Yes i plan on doing everything the 18th. I’m not exactly looking for issues, I’m just inquiring about any information about any possibilities. So at this juncture do you trust the Oraquick’s accuracy at 11 weeks post PEP? I know it’s not conclusive, but just asking for your opinion. Would syphilis delay antibody production? I don’t mean to be bothersome, I’m just curious and appreciate your responses so far.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2019, 08:53:04 am »
You have the answer already.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Bkhannah83

• Standard
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2019, 10:31:54 am »
Good morning. I’ve been in a monogamous relationship. Or so i thought. So here i am yet again.  She cheated. We last had unprotected sex on August 1st. I went to an urgent clinic yesterday and took a rapid test - Chembio Sure Check 1/2. It was 46 days since the encounter (6.5 weeks). I took an Oraquick this morning as well which would be 47 days and it was negative as well. She went and got tested 3 weeks after we last had unprotected sex with a 4th generation test and it was negative. I know her results mean nothing. I’m wondering if i am safe in the woods as far as the 6.5 week rapid test result? I know to test at 3 months, but what’s the likelihood of the result changing or % it’s a true negative of the rapid test i took? Thank you.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 10:49:16 am by Bkhannah83 »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2019, 10:57:42 am »
Hiya,

Any negative result is a good indicator although to confirm retest at 3 months post last possible exposure and consider testing for far easier to acquire STI's whilst you are at it.

Ill add really sorry to hear your partner cheated. Wish you both well and all the best regardless of what happens.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, every time, no exceptions. Consider starting PrEP as an additional layer of HIV protection going forward

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 11:01:15 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Bkhannah83

• Standard
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2019, 11:07:21 am »
Thanks Jim, I honestly don’t foresee us fixing this. It’s an ex girlfriend from childhood. Figured we’d give it one more go round. Bad decision lol. Are the rapid finger prick tests almost as accurate as blood drawn from a vein at 6.5 weeks? How often do you see results change after 6.5 weeks? I took the rapid finger prick last week at 5.5 and yesterday at 6.5 weeks. Both negative. Do you see it changing at all?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2019, 11:57:01 am »
Thanks Jim, I honestly don’t foresee us fixing this. It’s an ex girlfriend from childhood. Figured we’d give it one more go round. Bad decision lol.

Sorry to hear that, but ultimately you do need to do what's best for you. 

Are the rapid finger prick tests almost as accurate as blood drawn from a vein at 6.5 weeks? How often do you see results change after 6.5 weeks? I took the rapid finger prick last week at 5.5 and yesterday at 6.5 weeks. Both negative. Do you see it changing at all?

Look I understand you want some reassurance, just test at the correct time and in the meantime focus on your life. Let me put it like this odds are in your favour and I suspect you will be fine, do however test to confirm that!

Jim

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Bkhannah83

• Standard
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2019, 04:15:12 pm »
Ok that definitely gives me some reassurance. May i ask Jim, what exactly is hiv acute infection? What is the window period for acute infection? Is it the 3 month window period?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2019, 04:31:37 pm »
Hiya, acute phase is just the initial infection time until your body produces antibodies. The window period on testing is longer.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.