Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 12:13:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37634
  • Latest: Hope007
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66329
  • Online Today: 222
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 192
Total: 192

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: How much does stress really count?  (Read 2734 times)

Offline Maestro

How much does stress really count?
« on: February 08, 2007, 07:23:03 pm »
If you have been following our latest dilemma, my Uncle is understandably under a tremendous amount of new stress.  He tells me he wont sleep for 3 days, I know he is not eating well, and I am sure other horrible habits are going on that he won't tell me about.

So my question is this:  How much do you think stress actually will affect his immune system?  He already has very low #'s and is on meds.  Is this the sort of thing that can push him over the edge?  Or just this make life more difficult?

I realize there is not really a quantitative answer to this, but just looking for some opinions/personal experiences.

Regards,
M

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
Re: How much does stress really count?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 07:54:13 pm »
Maestro,

From what you wrote it sounds as if he is having problems already, like not sleeping for 3 days.  Neglecting nutrition isn't wise, either, especially if your immune system is compromised.  Are you worried about about substance abuse at all?  Some recreational drugs are not user-friendly to HIV infected people when used too often.

In my experience chronic stress and anxiety hampered my immune response but when the stress was greatly decreased my health improved.   But like I say all the time, each person is different in the ways his/her body reacts.   What is unmanageable stress for me might not harm your uncle if he has a higher threshold, as it were, against stress.  Sorry to be so wishy-washy.

Is there some way you could "sit down" with him (you live in different states, right?) to make a list of issues to be resolved and work with him to accomplish each task?  I know that sounds simplistic (or even stupid) but I have been able to marginally function when necessary by writing down every issue and working on the list one item at a time.  I'm talking about basics like reminders for blood work, docs appointments, prescription refills, etc.  I know he has some major issues but if he can qualify/quantify them in his mind he might be able to concentrate on number 1 and work from there. 

I hope someone can offer more concrete advice.  Good luck!

Boo
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 08:08:14 pm »
Isn't this the guy with the oxycontin problem?  I'd think he's be nodding off left and right.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Maestro

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 09:52:00 pm »
Isn't this the guy with the oxycontin problem?  I'd think he's be nodding off left and right.

He's taken so much oxycontin its like baby aspirin to him now!

Offline Maestro

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 09:56:56 pm »
Boo,

The main obstacle here is that he refuses to admit anything is wrong.  He has been through hell and back during the last year and he acts like everything is great.  3 doctors have told him he is depressed and needs help.  He refuses.  There is no way I could have any kind of sit down.  The second I try, he would just jump down my throat about how he doesn't need any help...

Well, without my help he would have:
Died in Austria
Died in Tampa
Died in California
Gone Broke
Alienated EVERYONE
No hope for insurance
and on and on and on...So all these things keep building up, the stress of keeping it bottled up must be mind numbing...not to mention he pushes it further down with his pain killer addiction...

Bear said it is like watching a train wreck and more now than ever I feel like the train is about to come to off the tracks!

M

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 08:47:23 am »
M,

One thing you haven't mentioned in a long time is the death of your uncle's partner. From what I remember, he died while your uncle was ill in Austria. I can't help but wonder if a lot of this "depression" every one keeps telling him he has is more to do with unexpressed grief than any stress. Has anyone sat and reminisced with him? It seems to me like his life partner has all but been forgotten about. And this is difficult for me to write, but I think it needs to be said - is it possible that your uncle misses his partner so much that he wants to join him? Just something to think about.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 10:54:46 am »
Maestro,

Having very porous pumice for a brain I often forget aspects of other people's situations, like the fact your uncle's partner died.  I think Ann may have hit the nail on the head -- grief over the death of a loved one, especially one's spouse, can sink people into the lowest depressions.

Your uncle needs an intervention, which I realize is impractical for several reasons.  Besides his refusal to listen and his drug use you're too far away to implement such an action.  It's possible for anyone going through such turmoil to snap back to wanting to live with time, but time doesn't appear to be a commodity he can waste.  He's too sick physically, mentally, and emotionally. 

What is his source for the oxycontin?  If it's a doctor can you call him/her to discuss the situation?  With patient confidentiality laws as they are the doctor may not be able to disclose information to you unless your uncle has given you legal/durable power of attorney (I think that's it...) but you can still inform the doctor of your uncle's situation in general and with the oxycontin specifically. 

There may be nothing to be done as one cannot be coerced into a hospital except for life and death psychiatric problems (i.e., legally declared a physical danger to oneself or the public).  You are doing the best you can and I hate to sound negative, but you can only do so much.  Your uncle has to admit to his problems and seek help to resolve them.  Until he is ready to do that you're powerless.   You have been and are a blessing to him and he undoubtedly realizes it but is trapped in his present dilemma no matter how you try to help him.

I guess your uncle doesn't see a psychiatrist, does he?  If he does the psych might be able to declare your uncle a danger to himself but that's a really long stretch -- a patient has to clearly state an intention to harm himself before a doctor has legal authority to have the patient committed to a mental health facility.  Doesn't sound like your uncle would bother saying that since he's passively committing suicide without recognizing or acknowledging the facts.  If he could be hospitalized in a general hospital with a mental health ward he could start receiving therapy, addiction recovery assistance, treatments for HIV-related conditions, and whatever else he needs.

I apologize for hashing through options that are probably not available to you but I can't think of anything else.  Your uncle needs immediate care but won't get it until he admits it or his health declines so much he has to be hospitalized. 

Your uncle is extremely blessed with you to help him.  You have done and are doing everything you can.  No matter what happens you should  acknowledge your compassion and care and realize you cannot change his problems without his help. 

Good luck and take care of yourself as you struggle with all of these difficulties.

Boo
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline Maestro

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 05:36:06 pm »
Boo, Ann,

You are correct, his long time partner (30+ years) did die and that is what set this all in motion.  The amazing thing is he won't even admit it is sad.  He acts like it is nothing.  Very odd.  I once sat him down and told him that while he might not think this is sad, I lost my Uncle and I think it is sad. 

He gets his Oxy from a variety of pain doctors who most likely don't know he is shopping around.  He has the $$$ to buy the drugs on his own insurance obstacles are not a problem at this point.  He couldn't be more alone.  He has zero friends in California. 

I have finally come to the conclusion that there is indeed only so much I can do.  However, that doesn't make it any easier.  All I can say is that if February ends and I don't have any insurance for him, he is going to bring the insanity to a whole new level...And so may I !!!

Thanks for all your help...
M

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.