Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2024, 10:47:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773263
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 185
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 124
Total: 124

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Long term non progressors  (Read 6310 times)

Offline sphinxcat

• Standard
Long term non progressors
« on: November 20, 2015, 10:55:08 pm »
Anyone heard this type of poz people? They are about 1 to 5% of all infections and HIV never took the charge and cd4 never drop too much....

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Fatigue/Q203253.html?ic=4003
2015OCT04 tested poz
2015OCT14 cd4 124, 12%, vl 162,000. Right ear Shingles, on Stribild.
2015NOV12 cd4 171, 16%, vl ud.

Offline TheNormalLife

• Rules have changed; giving up is never an option
Re: Long term non progressors
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 11:26:25 pm »
Yes, heard of them. They won the genetics roulette and science are actually using them trying to find a functional cure for our condition or at least a way to control it. They are called if I remember correctly elite controllers and at a point we all crossed all of our fingers and toes to be one of them. ;)

I'm pretty sure there's gotta be a few around here in the forums.

Ray.
09/14 Conversion
12/14 Diagnosed
12/14 CD4-6; VL-4245 (wrong CD4 test)
01/15 CD4-530 (pheeew)
01/15 CD4-755
03/15 CD4-545; VL-14401
04/15 CD4-623; VL-4531
04/15 Truvada/Efavirenz
07/15 CD4-595; VL-UD
08/15 CD4-763; VL-UD
11/15 CD4-581; VL-UD
03/16 CD4-523; VL-UD
07/16 CD4-655; VL-UD
09/16 CD4-820; VL-UD
03/17 CD4-544; VL-UD
03/17 CD4-669; VL-UD

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 11:36:41 pm »
There are also slow progressors. 

Offline sphinxcat

• Standard
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 07:20:08 am »
You guys are so knowledgable....I just found a long paper and reading it.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0029844
2015OCT04 tested poz
2015OCT14 cd4 124, 12%, vl 162,000. Right ear Shingles, on Stribild.
2015NOV12 cd4 171, 16%, vl ud.

Offline xman

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 11:18:16 pm »
There's controversity if LNTP's are really safe and without any risks of illness. There's also a dubt about their inability to transmit the virus to others. I don't think that they are functionally cured.

Offline geobee

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 02:37:58 pm »
My BF is one of those LTNP's.  17 years poz. Never took meds.  Undetectable, TCells hover around 500-600. 

Offline xman

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 02:48:34 pm »
well his t-cell function is below the normal level. he should have at least 1100 t-cells to be considered healthy and without any risk of illness. inflammation is also a problem to be monitored.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 10:11:20 pm »
well his t-cell function is below the normal level. he should have at least 1100 t-cells to be considered healthy and without any risk of illness
the "normal" range for cd4 cells is between 450 and 1200.

so at 500-600, goebee's bf has a cd4 count in the normal range and is to be considered "healthy" (a normally functioning immune system) and is not at any special risk of illness. ;)

Cd4s are not an actual measure of "healthiness" but a measure of the amount of tcells. Many people assume that more equals better (or healthier); but it's not about quantity but quality - hence some people are very healthy with only 400 cd4 and others are sick with 1100. What does denote "unhealthy" is when a person has less than 200, because we know that they are at a much higher risk of opportunistic infection.

anyone with a cd4 count anywhere in the range of 450-1200 are considered to have a "normally functioning immune system"
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Mishma

• HIV drugs are our Allies but hardly our Friends
    • Marquis de Vauban
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 02:11:29 pm »
The ratio of CD4/CD8 is also very informative. Many of us here have skewed ratios indicative of a chronic inflammatory state. A normal ratio is 2.0 with CD4's outnumbering CD8's. Typically ours are less than 1 and mine has been at .25 % for quite awhile. My CD4s are on the other end of the spectrum-typically over 2400.

This begs the question for those of us who are or have been un-detectable; what is driving the immune activation? I use to think it was the infected cells in our reservoirs. I'm not so sure anymore.
2016 CD4 25% UD (less than 20). 30+ years positive. Dolutegravir, Acyclovir, Clonazepam, Lisinopril, Quetiapine, Sumatriptan/Naproxen, Restasis, Latanoprost, Asprin, Levothyroxine, Restasis, Triamcinolone.

Offline Mishma

• HIV drugs are our Allies but hardly our Friends
    • Marquis de Vauban
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 02:56:57 pm »
More on the ratio and what it means for us:

http://journals.plos.org/plospathogens/article?id=10.1371/journal.ppat.1004078

HIV-Infected Individuals with Low CD4/CD8 Ratio despite Effective Antiretroviral Therapy Exhibit Altered T Cell Subsets, Heightened CD8+ T Cell Activation, and Increased Risk of Non-AIDS Morbidity and Mortality
2016 CD4 25% UD (less than 20). 30+ years positive. Dolutegravir, Acyclovir, Clonazepam, Lisinopril, Quetiapine, Sumatriptan/Naproxen, Restasis, Latanoprost, Asprin, Levothyroxine, Restasis, Triamcinolone.

Offline geobee

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 12:12:49 am »
This begs the question for those of us who are or have been un-detectable; what is driving the immune activation? I use to think it was the infected cells in our reservoirs. I'm not so sure anymore.

I think -- not sure -- that being undetectable means that you have no free-floating HIV in your blood.  But there is still cell-to-cell transmission -- quite a bit of it.  [There was a thread on this].   I think that's what causes the immune activation.   For me, I've got normal TCells, but very high CD3 and CD3.  Doc says not to worry about it.

Interestingly, the doc also recommended that my BF go on meds, even tho he's always been UD without them.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 09:13:35 pm »
I'm chiming in late. I'm one of those people. VL has been undetectable at times, results today were 7000. CD4 as high as 1000, today 512. I've been feeling like crap lately, and my VL was up to 13000 in September, so me and my doctor are in kind of a holding pattern regarding meds. I was diagnosed 16 years ago, and probably infected 2 years before that.

Offline Brian Harvill

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2016, 12:54:56 am »
As a person that has been considered to be a long term non-progresser, (being diagnosed with ARC in Feb, 1987), I still would assert that this is NOT a term that should be relied on. I have had a slow decline over the last 29 years and have finally been diagnosed as full blown in 2013. While my own cd4's remain fairly steady at about 175 (I tend to drop about 5-10 points each year), and a viral load that is still relatively low (having just become detectable over the last 4 years with a consistent report of under 5000 copies), the long term non-progresser is indeed progressing.

Personally I think the most damage to the immune system comes during times when we are fighting infections which activates the virus IMO. Each time infections are defeated, the immune system takes longer to rebound and the levels of function are damaged.

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2016, 06:34:54 pm »
As a person that has been considered to be a long term non-progresser, (being diagnosed with ARC in Feb, 1987), I still would assert that this is NOT a term that should be relied on. I have had a slow decline over the last 29 years and have finally been diagnosed as full blown in 2013. While my own cd4's remain fairly steady at about 175 (I tend to drop about 5-10 points each year), and a viral load that is still relatively low (having just become detectable over the last 4 years with a consistent report of under 5000 copies), the long term non-progresser is indeed progressing.

Personally I think the most damage to the immune system comes during times when we are fighting infections which activates the virus IMO. Each time infections are defeated, the immune system takes longer to rebound and the levels of function are damaged.

Brian...I do hope you are on ARV's now (as well as Bactrim for PCP/Toxo prevention as you are < 200)

cd4's drop with aging anyway (even in neg people), but in positive people the guidelines for a long time have been to start meds when you drop to 350 cells, more recent guidelines now advise starting at any cd4 count.

Just worried that you talk as though you are not on meds...
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Offline Brian Harvill

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2016, 04:41:46 pm »
Caveyuk-
Thanks for the response. I am on Bactrim prophylaxis since my main health challenges have been respiratory in nature. I am also at present on a regimen of Truvada + Raltegrivir. These have not boosted my immune system, merely have allowed me to stay fairly steady, (with a small decrease over time in CD4 and a slight increase over time in the VL). But then what does one expect for being diagnosed for 29 years (which means an infection of 30 or 31 years probably). I have no real complaints about my health and decided long ago that I was NOT going to live for the disease but instead to live in spite of my illness.

As for meds, I have been slapped down for my approach to using meds so I hesitate to discuss my experiences since they are either ridiculed or dismissed altogether. Suffice to say that over the course of 29 years I have been on and off ARVs and yet I still have ZERO resistance to ANY medications, thus why fix a system that obviously works for me?

For me the most important factor in survival is for the patient to take the lead in their healthcare and healthcare decisions. and that is what I have done over the years.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2016, 04:56:25 pm »
Caveyuk-
Thanks for the response. I am on Bactrim prophylaxis since my main health challenges have been respiratory in nature. I am also at present on a regimen of Truvada + Raltegrivir. These have not boosted my immune system, merely have allowed me to stay fairly steady, (with a small decrease over time in CD4 and a slight increase over time in the VL). But then what does one expect for being diagnosed for 29 years (which means an infection of 30 or 31 years probably). I have no real complaints about my health and decided long ago that I was NOT going to live for the disease but instead to live in spite of my illness.

As for meds, I have been slapped down for my approach to using meds so I hesitate to discuss my experiences since they are either ridiculed or dismissed altogether. Suffice to say that over the course of 29 years I have been on and off ARVs and yet I still have ZERO resistance to ANY medications, thus why fix a system that obviously works for me?

For me the most important factor in survival is for the patient to take the lead in their healthcare and healthcare decisions. and that is what I have done over the years.

Have you considered that maybe if you are adherent your numbers would improve ?
Im not picking on your choices but with you're not so good numbers you may really want to stop the drug holidays … A drug holiday and numbers like yours was what led me to the chemo chair and a long battle with Kaposi Sarcoma . I really am sincerely concerned so knock off saying you are being censored here … you are welcome here and I want you to know it.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2016, 05:16:30 pm »
Caveyuk-

Hi Brian

No HIV meds will boost your immune system. Thats what you own body will do when the virus is suppressed, which IS what the HIV meds do. If you are experiencing a continual increase in VL whilst being adherent to the meds, then it could indicate some form of treatment failure, so prob ask about other options.

If you have spikes in VL it could also explain your CD4's not responding and you staying in the danger zone of < 200 cells, although it's good that you are on Bactrim.

I can't speak on the drug-holiday thing as I'll defer to those more experienced, but it doesn't seem a good idea. Resistance or not...

I respect that you are a LTS and have been living with this passenger for many years, but I would hate for you to reach that milestone and then go downhill quickly due to non-adherence, so I would urge you to get onto a med that works well for you, and stick to it. Modern meds are relatively side-effect free compared to the old ones, so it kinda doesn't make sense for anyone *not* to take them.

I do agree about people making their own decisions, however making a decision to suffer a drawn-out painful death isn't one I would want to be taking!

Stay healthy
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.