Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:44:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773293
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 688
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 646
Total: 646

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Just found out my dad didn't believe me...  (Read 4864 times)

Offline tigger2376

• too bad to die youngish!
Just found out my dad didn't believe me...
« on: December 08, 2006, 09:32:49 pm »
My dad has just told me that he didn't (want 2,his excuse) believe that I'm positive. its taken 5 years for him to admit this and its ripping me apart. I started meds 3 months ago and its taken him seeing them and checking them out for him to accept what/who I am. Don't get me wrong, I undrsatand his denial and wish for something different BUT....he was talking to my mum, who he divorced 20 years ago about 'what happens when I need a hospice', how should I be 'dealt with' when I'm dead!!! I have no intention of dying before my 65 year old dad, I'm only 40, and just happen to be positive. My partner just wants to rip my dads head off...and so do I right now, any ideas guys?
I know i'm going to enjoy the party in the afterlife, but do you all mind that I'm going to be VERY late!!!

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
Re: Just found out my dad didn't believe me...
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 09:42:39 pm »
calm down.  Just remember your Dad is your Dad and he has a right to his attitude and opinion. You  may not like it, hate it, want to turn it into a can an kick it, but still it is his nature.  Now you know how he really feels instead of how you wish he feels.  Would you not rather deal in reality than in fantasy.  Just saying.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline tigger2376

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 09:47:14 pm »
Absolutely. its just when you think you've come to terms with living with Hiv, it just keeps kicking you in the (metaphorical) nuts. My mum left when I was 7. I lived with my dad, typical daddys girl. its hard. It fucking hurts. Sorry, try to be upbeat but jesus this has got to get easier one day
I know i'm going to enjoy the party in the afterlife, but do you all mind that I'm going to be VERY late!!!

Offline Eldon

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 11:49:56 pm »
Hey Tigger,

RED was absolutely correct in what he had said. In this situation, your dad is going through a major denial period in his life. For some it is easier to accept than others. You will need to just give him his space with his opinion and time along with it. He will eventually come around to the reality of the situation.

It is a true reality and it is unfortunate that your dad has taken this position with this. Do not love him less, love him more. My thoughts and my prayers are with you.

Happy Holidays!

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 12:24:27 am »

I don't know the dynamics of your relationship with your father.   If his response is brought on by denial then it's not necessarily a bad thing.  I know having to start meds has brought it into reality for me...  I can only assume his seeing yours did so for him.   Cool off and wait a few days and let him know what's up.   
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Longislander

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 12:29:10 am »
I'm kinda surprised your mom told you about their conversation(if that's what happened). But I'd say Dad is only going by what society in general perceives of this illness, and went to your mom.

Give yourself a few days to calm down, and have a nice talk with Dad about what he wants YOU to do when he needs hospice!  ;)

Paul
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 02:18:48 am »
Hey Tigg,
I know this hurts at the moment and I don't know the dynamics of your relationship with your dad, but it could be denial was his way of turning a blind eye to what he fears will happen to you.

Your dad may - or make that probably - doesn't understand a lot about HIV, treatments, etc. Many people base their entire knowledge on what they hear in the media, which is at best scanty, at worst fearmongering.

I remember my mom's worst fear was that she would outlive me and she told me she could not bear the thought that she might have to bury her first born.

She is better now, mainly because I sat her down and had a long chat about treatments, outlooks, etc.

Give yourself a few days to calm down and then consider having a heart-to-heart with dad. It may be he is more scared than your are.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline IzPoz

• God, grant me the serenity...
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 09:23:09 am »
Hi Tigger,

Your dad's reaction is normal, and his denial is just part of the phases he will go through before he begins to accept your HIV.  My mother went years without forgiving my husband, she hated him for it.  Because if it weren't for him, I wouldn't have it.  My dad asked me if I was going to leave my husband.

So, after a couple of years went by, they saw that I wasn't leaving my husband for something he didn't know about until he got sick.  My mom eventually forgave my husband and grew to love him.  My dad, well, dad was dad... he would come and visit, he eventually stopped asking me if I was leaving my husband.  My dad loved him as well.

Just give your father some time to accept this.  Help educate him, gently of course, about HIV and how you will be here for many years to come.  Be patient, it's not going to be easy, but it will be worth it in the long run.
The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly. ~ Chesterton G. K.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2006, 09:54:09 am »
I can see how that would bother you but I have to agree with what everyone has said. I'm sorry your Dad is having a hard time dealing with it. Because he is not educated on HIV, it's like you said, he thinks you're not going to be around long. I don't think any parent wants to outlive their kids. Is he willing to talk about it?
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2006, 10:34:44 am »
I guess what purpose does it serve for him to acknowledge your hiv or not??   Is it important to you? And for what reason?   As you have said, your going on about life...   I would let him move as "he moves" and he will slowly figure out all this, and how it "works" for us..... Its not worth at all having a resentment about a person who is in denial...  Its causing you more grief, stress than it is him I am afraid....  Just chill, love your Dad... He knows in his own way, and will become better educated as he feels comfortable in asking about it....   Meanwhile, don't rip your Dad's head off anytime soon..  Go out and buy him a nice Christmas present say "one of those gianst inflatable Dancing Sustiva Snowman at Lowes"?

Love..
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 10:39:36 am by Eric »

Offline tigger2376

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2006, 09:03:24 pm »
I so appreciate the support. trouble is, this is not an uneducated man in this arena. One of his best friends died of AIDS 3 years ago. I know i'm maybe being unfair to him, he's scared for me but I've been scared too. My mum told me because she thought I ought to know so I wasn't ambushed. She and I can share black humour about it, possibly because she wasn't so close to me growing up. i'm going to leave it be, whether thats cowardice or sensible not quite sure but if he asks me directly at least I'm forewarned. again, thanks, can't tell you how much it helped
May whichever holiday you choose to celebrate bring you peace and joy xxxx

Offline tigger2376

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2006, 09:24:01 pm »
BUT. changed my profile because of this. I love my dad but he has to love me too, for all that I am. Loved the gift idea but already got him an IPOD. Am downloading appropriate songs, some sad, some just damn sick humour and some happy, he always did hate my taste in music anyway!!! Again, can't say how much you helped, I was going to have to ask for some patienceand a sense of humour for Xmas!

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2006, 09:53:59 pm »
My mom died on Christmas Eve, I was an adult living about 5 miles away from my parents house.  I stopped at a convenience market on the way to a family Christmas for some smokes.  the clerk at the market said, "sorry for your loss."  I was not aware I had lost anything and was apparently the last to hear.

When I arrived at my parents house, the drive had cars from Aunts, Uncles, Cousins and family from all over California.  They had all been instructed not to call me and no one bothered to call from a cell phone, a neighbors house or even a public telephone.  I was denied the opportunity to see my mom before she died and heard about it on the streets the next day.

When my dad died, they offered to buy me a flight to San Francisco so I could say farewell to dad.  I did not accept that flight and don't care where the SOB is buried.  He remarried 3 days after the funeral of my mom and left everything to his new wife.

I get a holiday depression every year starting at Thanksgiving which lasts through Christmas.  I did put up a tree one year which I tossed out the window, after stomping most of the decorations into the carpet.  There is a thought I keep in my mind to help get through family related issues.  "Someone has to put the FUN in dysfunctional."  Have the best day
Michael

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2006, 11:29:35 am »
The flip side is... at least he is talking about helping you out at your worst possible time in life!  Just the "half full" guy in me I guess!!!

He cares and thats a good thing. How he shows it you cant control.  How you respond to it you CAN control.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2006, 10:18:52 pm »
Dear Tigger,

It is so hard to come to terms with our illness.  It has to be even more difficult for a woman.  I read something simple and fun once which may help...
Ginger Rodgers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she was going backward and wearing highheels.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2006, 10:49:22 pm »
Unfortunately we can't select our parents so you gotta take them as they are.  My late mother was too absorbed by her own misery to acknowledge my status.  My 87 year old father has never asked me about my pet virus directly although I disclosed to him many years ago (since he lives in California and I live in Louisiana I cut him a little slack.  Besides, he's never even been able to discuss my sexual orientation so the HIV thing ain't that big a surprise).

At least your father is telling you his truth and not what he thinks you want to hear.  Let some time pass before you talk to him again and try to make incremental improvements.  I'm unaware of your exact situation (e.g., do you live with him?  do you live in the same area? is he someone you see often?, etc.) so can't offer much more than generic advice.  As others have said don't let his stance negatively affect you, or minimize the effect as much as possible.  Constant stress is not your friend!

Good luck!

Boo
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.