Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:34:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772783
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 197
Total: 197

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Ryan white funding JERKED OUT FROM UNDER ME !  (Read 71766 times)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Ryan white funding JERKED OUT FROM UNDER ME !
« Reply #100 on: March 17, 2010, 10:11:11 pm »
all of this started because "she" was proposing rural areas get their funding pulled to favor urban areas. At some point hopefully "she'll" let it drop and we can get back to the OP.

Since you continue repeatedly to misstate my position I will be reporting this to the moderators.  I'm done with your propensity to lie.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline blackwingbear

• Hello, all you happy people....
    • THE DARK MIND OF BLACKWINGBEAR
« Reply #101 on: March 17, 2010, 10:15:08 pm »
I will be reporting this to the moderators. 

And, of course, you shall portray yourself as completely innocent and as a sweet, gentle individual...
It's all a sham. Politics is a big game, same as the media - and same as religion. The point is to distract & control. If we're looking at what they tell us is the "big issue", we're not looking at what they are doing. In time, there will be different causes and different minorities to pick-on. All in the name of keeping the system going, and the people distracted.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #102 on: March 17, 2010, 10:15:27 pm »
Kick him in the balls .... I really don't want to see anyone kicked in the balls I just got carried away watching the fight ... sorry .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline gregftl

• Standard
« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2010, 02:08:40 am »
It is illegal for people to tell others that someone is poz. If I were you I'd contact the ACLU

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #104 on: March 18, 2010, 02:41:16 am »
It is illegal for people to tell others that someone is poz. If I were you I'd contact the ACLU

Good idea, except if this is the only source for meds in the area. That might present quite a problem!
It's all a sham. Politics is a big game, same as the media - and same as religion. The point is to distract & control. If we're looking at what they tell us is the "big issue", we're not looking at what they are doing. In time, there will be different causes and different minorities to pick-on. All in the name of keeping the system going, and the people distracted.

Offline weasel

« Reply #105 on: March 18, 2010, 10:10:14 am »

Hullo ALL ,
                    Some very   sparky  topics here ....   LOL

I GOT a letter from my case worker ASKING  ME    IF  I  had heard anything  yet ?????

I will  FAX  the Lady in Jefferson City on Monday .

I seem to have been dropped from any CASE-WORKER  care .

Althou I am allowed to attend support groups  :)

I will update when I hear !   AND  i assume I WILL hear when I contact this time

be well , Carl 

P.S. I am fortunate to get SSDI and we  live  the woodsman's life .
         I LOVE the city ,but that was NOT  in the cards ....................
" Live and let Live "

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #106 on: March 18, 2010, 11:29:57 am »
Carl....let us know the outcome ........and whoever took your Ryan White away had better have a good reason for doing so, it seems to me, that they could loose their job over this SHIT  ??? also keep notes, and document who you talked to and spoke with get their NAME & Title, how long they worked there, and who they are   ???
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 11:33:30 am by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #107 on: March 18, 2010, 12:38:32 pm »
I'm just curious. How does one stretch 600 or so a month? I remember years ago when I became really ill and spent almost a year on the dole. I brought in around six something a month and even with food stamps I couldn't make ends meet. Lost my apartment and truck. Didn't have cable, internet, cell or any other luxury items. Basically became homeless and still came up short every month. Even though I was ill I went back to work after eight months. Today I work full time but still must budget my finances every month. I remain close to the poverty level guidelines in order to maintain ADAP/Ryan White. Either folks are getting some outside help or there is some creative accounting going on.

Offline denb45

« Reply #108 on: March 18, 2010, 01:06:45 pm »
I remain close to the poverty level guidelines in order to maintain ADAP/Ryan White.
Hal, that is the way it is for me, however I happen to live with someone who makes the same income as I do, so, this helps some, but, every time I go to the Grocery Store, it seems that every week or so, I come out with STICKER-SHOCK, and the price of gas is going up & up again, as well as rent, and none of this helps anyone, it's called GREED Hall plain and simple, someone is getting rich, but I can assure you it anit me are anyone of us in here ,working or not........
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 01:11:56 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #109 on: March 18, 2010, 01:27:35 pm »
I'm just curious. How does one stretch 600 or so a month?

VERY carefully! You have to budget every penny of it - forget ever having any extra $ to throw around.. It's a "water-tight" budget. :-\

Offline denb45

« Reply #110 on: March 18, 2010, 01:31:37 pm »
VERY carefully! You have to budget every penny of it - forget ever having any extra $ to throw around.. It's a "water-tight" budget. :-\

bear  :'(  it would be a lot worse if you didn't live with someone  :-[ are you sure you cannot go to your local HUD-office (Section eight) you may get some relief on your rent, I think it's a 3rd of what your income would be, your rent that is  :-[
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 01:35:12 pm by denb45 »

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #111 on: March 18, 2010, 01:35:00 pm »
bear  :'(  it would be a lot worse if you didn't live with someone  :-[

Actually, I bring all the money in... He's unemployed.

Offline denb45

« Reply #112 on: March 18, 2010, 01:36:04 pm »
Actually, I bring all the money in... He's unemployed.
go to the HUD-office, and see above what I suggested  ;) you may qualify for HOPWA from your local ASO, also, they may have some sort of rental assistance, most ASOs do have this to help w/ rent, it sure  sounds like you would qualify for this  :-\
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 01:41:11 pm by denb45 »

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #113 on: March 18, 2010, 01:38:06 pm »
go to the HUD-office, and see above what I suggested  ;)

Good idea, but the waiting-list is about a year...

Offline denb45

« Reply #114 on: March 18, 2010, 01:40:22 pm »
Good idea, but the waiting-list is about a year...

see above again  ;)

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #115 on: March 18, 2010, 01:40:56 pm »

How two people are able to live on what you bring in is beyond comprehension, but more power to you.

Offline denb45

« Reply #116 on: March 18, 2010, 01:44:26 pm »
How two people are able to live on what you bring in is beyond comprehension, but more power to you.

Hall , I think he said his BF is on unemployment....dunno  :-[

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #117 on: March 18, 2010, 02:51:47 pm »
Hall , I think he said his BF is on unemployment....dunno  :-[

No, he is not eligible... I merely said he is unemployed. He was a "victim" of the change in radio from disc-jockeys and on-air personalities to automated systems the station-manager programs once a week. Atlanta Radio Theater Company (which he helped found and start) has somewhat died down due to one of their heads attempting to cater solely to convention crowds. After his stroke, most other businesses wouldn't hire him due to his mobility problems.

Offline denb45

« Reply #118 on: March 18, 2010, 03:05:30 pm »
Bear......you may qualify for HOPWA from your local ASO, also, they may have some sort of rental assistance, most ASOs do have this to help w/ rent, it sure sounds like you would qualify for this
it really couldn't hurt if you were more pro-active about your situation, I'd start making some calls
and start applying for some of these things, that can help you out some hon  ;)  

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #119 on: March 18, 2010, 04:29:15 pm »
Bear......you may qualify for HOPWA from your local ASO, also, they may have some sort of rental assistance, most ASOs do have this to help w/ rent, it sure sounds like you would qualify for this
it really couldn't hurt if you were more pro-active about your situation, I'd start making some calls
and start applying for some of these things, that can help you out some hon  ;)  

My partner is H.I.V. negative - would I still be eligible considering we live together?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #120 on: March 18, 2010, 04:43:15 pm »
My heart goes out to you Bear . Do you guys have friends near to socialize with ?

I lived on $800 a month for many years but I didn't have to pay rent , just utility's and food . I never did anything except go to the store and back home again . I had some friends I would go see once a month that lived about a 100 miles away and that kept my sanity in tack LOL sort of .

When my doctor found out my lack of a social life he and his boyfriend treated me to a movie and dinner every Tuesday . I felt embarrassed at first but they were so sweet about I gave in . My situation has changed recently so I'm able to treat them to a night out every now and then . Thank god for good friends .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline denb45

« Reply #121 on: March 18, 2010, 05:05:37 pm »
My partner is H.I.V. negative - would I still be eligible considering we live together?

You might be eligible for HUD rental assistance, if you are your partner can prove that one of you may need assistance, but, that only means, that whoever needs a caregiver only one of you, the sickest one, will get assistance with a doctors note that says that person need help with cooking, driving, and house-work (like your partner which has mobility issues) so that would mean he would have to apply, as far as getting rental assistance form your local ASO, HOPWA sounds like it would be more geared to you, since you are way below the Federal Poverty Line.....@ 100%

I don't think it really matters if you live with someone, it does, if he has a job, or other household income, but in your case he doesn't......but please keep in mind that you are the one that is HIV+ and you are the one that needs help, so, play this card VERY wisely  as THIS can be VERY TRICKY.... if you do apply for any help most ASOs have strict guidelines on this matter, where household income come into play.....  

however HUD-sec-eight is a little different and go's by who is the sickest, and who needs the most assistance, and NOT by your household income, you should however apply for both, it couldn't hurt any  , and one more thing, if your partner is sick & has mobility problems perhaps, maybe
you should take him to a doctor, are go apply for some SSI or SSDI  or Medicaid it sounds like he cannot work anymore, and may need some help too....

bear my heart go's out to ya, and I do hope that you use some of this info to get the help you need, sounds to me like both you and your partner need some help, I do hope you find your way outta this mess your in ...good luck to ya hon  ;)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 05:14:56 pm by denb45 »

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #122 on: March 18, 2010, 05:14:39 pm »
My heart goes out to you Bear . Do you guys have friends near to socialize with ?

He's from about 35 miles from here and has several friends locally.. I have a few nearby also; socialization isn't a problem for us..

Offline gregftl

• Standard
« Reply #123 on: March 18, 2010, 05:20:53 pm »
Another option is you might try one of those free clinics Dr. Oz helped to create. I know there are all over the country now. Here is the website you can put in your zip code to see if one is near you:

http://www.freeclinics.us/freeclinic.php

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #124 on: March 18, 2010, 06:44:41 pm »
In regards to how HOPWA works here in Miami if you have a non-positive roommate, HOPWA will split the rent in half (they will have your obligation as half the rent and your non-positive roommate's as 1/2 the obligation) they then will pay whatever portion you are eligible for based on your half.  His income shouldn't enter into the equation..... the only other way around it is if you show that you need someone there to be a caregiver to you, then they don't expect the other person to pay their half of the rent and do the equationi based on what the rent is, what their allowance is to cover and what your income is
Hope all of that wasn't too confusing.... :)
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #125 on: March 18, 2010, 07:12:54 pm »
If you can afford an internet connexion, you're not poor.

MtD

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #126 on: March 18, 2010, 07:58:10 pm »
Another option is you might try one of those free clinics Dr. Oz helped to create. I know there are all over the country now. Here is the website you can put in your zip code to see if one is near you:

http://www.freeclinics.us/freeclinic.php

Already use it for "hubby's" health-care! Thanks though!

If you can afford an internet connexion, you're not poor.

MtD

$40/month... Unnecessary expense maybe, but it makes life tolerable.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #127 on: March 19, 2010, 05:05:24 am »
I was thinking the same thing.  Your free cash flow is $252 a month but yet you have access to the internet.  At $40 a month that's 16% of your income (post rent) going towards the internet (excluding the cost of owning/buying a computer)! 

It is a shame the level of poverty, the gov expects people to live on....whilst wealth is all around. 

Offline actupts

« Reply #128 on: March 19, 2010, 06:52:01 am »
Yeah, I know they base it on the last 2-3 years of what you paid into SS.  Can't say it's my fault you didn't look at your check stubs to see that payroll was making a mistake, now can I?  As the CFO where I worked I do have a bit of a handle on how stuff like this works.  Plus those last couple of years I'd gotten a hefty raise so that pumped my SSDI up high, plus salaries are high in Manhattan to begin with.

And guess what honey, this queen worked since around the age of 14 though it was off the books at that time since it wasn't technically legal to be working.  Lazy is one thing I never was in terms of employment, so you can pimp your cause elsewhere Roddles.  I'm sorry, however, that you got screwed by your employer, but I can't imagine not noticing that it was happening.  Don't you have any legal case regarding that or did you already pursue it?

Actually, many Americans have jobs that do not pay into Social Security.  It is, for example, common for government employees to pay into a mandatory pension plan instead of Social Security.

In my case, I worked for several years at a state university where, instead of sending money to SSA, the university sent the money to the public employee retirement fund.  (They did, however, take money out for Medicare.)   I am therefore ineligible for SSDI. 

Unfortunately, I worked for the university for less than the five years required for to be eligible for disability or a pension.  The fact that I was forced to leave because my co-workers were terrified of working with or eating near a PWA was irrelevant; I was ineligible for disability or retirement benefits because I worked there less than five years.

As a result, I collect SSI, Medicare, and Medicaid.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 04:53:32 pm by actupts »

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #129 on: March 19, 2010, 08:03:45 am »
I was thinking the same thing.  Your free cash flow is $252 a month but yet you have access to the internet.  At $40 a month that's 16% of your income (post rent) going towards the internet (excluding the cost of owning/buying a computer)! 

It is a shame the level of poverty, the gov expects people to live on....whilst wealth is all around. 
Cable, cell phone service? Factor in the car insurance payment and gas and either this guy is the most frugal man in America or he's not revealing other sources of income.

Offline denb45

« Reply #130 on: March 19, 2010, 09:00:52 am »
Cable, cell phone service? Factor in the car insurance payment and gas and either this guy is the most frugal man in America or he's not revealing other sources of income.
Yeah, I just don't see how 2 adult men can both live off $647 a month, it really doesn't seem likely at all to me, no matter how many corners you cut each month  ::) my hat go's off to him and his partner just for pulling that off, without Foodstamps, General Relief, are some other type of help  :-[
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 09:08:39 am by denb45 »

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #131 on: March 19, 2010, 12:01:49 pm »

Again, unnecessary expense... It's a lil' extra that makes for sanity. There is no cost as far as owning or buying a computer - it's one Willie has has for about 4 years and it seems to still work fine.

Yeah, I just don't see how 2 adult men can both live off $647 a month, it really doesn't seem likely at all to me, no matter how many corners you cut each month  ::) my hat go's off to him and his partner just for pulling that off, without Foodstamps, General Relief, are some other type of help  :-[

DO get Foodstamps, actually... Sorry didn't think to mention that before - that DOES add in - and make a Hell of a difference!

The cellphone service is via Safelink, so it's free. The house-phone is MagicJack, so it's $20 per year. The "cable" (which I don't really use but "hubby" does) comes free with the internet.

I know some on here simply can't wrap their brain around living on less than $1000-$2000 a month, but believe it or not it is a reality. When you don't have a choice, all you CAN do is learn how to do it.

Offline denb45

« Reply #132 on: March 19, 2010, 07:55:03 pm »

DO get Foodstamps, actually... Sorry didn't think to mention that before - that DOES add in - and make a Hell of a difference!

Is Medicaid aware that your hubby is living with you, and is disabled as well, this may help too, as he has ZREO-income, it couldn't hurt, also, did you know that he can apply for Medicaid as well, this would help pay for his medical bills, co-pays, and doctors visits, general relief is also available to him ( it's an additional $200 to $300 a month, whatever your State or County allows) as he has NO-income, he should apply for these things was well , as THIS will help the both of you out a lot, DON'T be ashamed of any of this, and it again, couldn't hurt to ask hon, you and your sick hubby needs to both be pro-active to go out and apply for what you need  ;)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 08:01:07 pm by denb45 »

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #133 on: March 19, 2010, 08:13:28 pm »
Is Medicaid aware that your hubby is living with you, and is disabled as well, this may help too, as he has ZREO-income, it couldn't hurt, also, did you know that he can apply for Medicaid as well, this would help pay for his medical bills, co-pays, and doctors visits, general relief is also available to him ( it's an additional $200 to $300 a month, whatever your State or County allows) as he has NO-income, he should apply for these things was well , as THIS will help the both of you out a lot, DON'T be ashamed of any of this, and it again, couldn't hurt to ask hon, you and your sick hubby needs to both be pro-active to go out and apply for what you need  ;)

Thanks, Dennis!!! :)

Offline denb45

« Reply #134 on: March 19, 2010, 08:24:27 pm »
Thanks, Dennis!!! :)

Your welcomed hon, I've never had to use most of these programs before, I've been lucky, but, I do know that most of them do exist to help everyone in need, as I was very happy to pay the taxes to keep them going before I got sick myself  ;)

Offline midland moe

« Reply #135 on: March 20, 2010, 05:22:51 am »
I agree its total BS and im a hothead who is quick to go on the offensive when i feel trodden upon, that being said and becuase i can be objective since im not the one who is angry (if i was i wouldnt be able to think it through until i stopped and forced myself to) as wrong as it is, and as hurt as you are by this, think about whats important...your health and your ability to access affordable care...if that means you have to sacrifice a little dignity unfortunately that is the hidden cost, is it fair no! is life fair? not always...when it comes to treating hiv unless your a millionaire you cant afford to take a stand on principles...call them and say your sorry for getting angry (even if your not) ask them to see it from your point of view and ask them to overlook the outburst you directed at them, and to PLEASE help you (you dont have to like doing this, but it will make your life easier in the long run) just my 2 cents
Diagnosed + 4/15/08               VL 570,000  cd4  85
started ATRIPLA 7/20/08         VL 301,757  cd4  45
8/22/08                                 VL       171  cd4  185
11/25/08    undetectable                           cd4  371

03/30/09    undetectable                           cd4  464
07/07/09    undetectable                           cd4  419
12/04/09    undetectable                           cd4  534
        cd4 % 20
04/09/10 undetectable                                cd4  667
         cd4%  22.1
07/16/10   undetectable                              cd4  573
         cd4%  23.8
03/25/11   undetectable                              cd4  655
         cd4%  29.4

Offline blackwingbear

« Reply #136 on: March 24, 2010, 05:05:47 am »

Offline weasel

« Reply #137 on: April 01, 2010, 07:21:03 pm »

Hullo, ALL

Well it looks like I MAY  get my Ryan white back   OCTOBER   first !

I am NOT  going to fight  it anymore .

AS  suggested I have pleaded my point , and asked for forgiveness !

I miss NOT being  able to go to my group or see the friends I have made thought the years !

It is MY life !  We do NOT do anything but eat piddle around and go to support groups
      when we feel good !

I AM  SORRY that this happend !  Won't be doing that again !

I am surprised that some of you find it hard to believe  how little  one can live on !

We are OK  NOW !

But for a few years  we did with out   cable . ( fuzzy T.V. )  one station !

I had   Dial up  (    $9.99 )  a month  !

Ate   only  cheap  food !

We still do NOT  use the air conditioning much !

Conserve  electric !

Our idea of fun is chopping a tree down  ::)

I pray  WE ALL get to live better lives one day .

Carl
" Live and let Live "

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.