Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:25:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 337
Total: 339

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: i have a question about hiv and herpes?  (Read 4856 times)

Offline tippytu

i have a question about hiv and herpes?
« on: August 25, 2013, 08:54:26 pm »
Can someone please explain something to me...I feel stupid asking but I keep reading about HIV & herpes..I know herpes is a std but do people with HIV just get heroes because their immune system is low? Or do they have to be exposed to it?

I know herpes is harder for an HIV + person to get rid of

Offline mikeyb39

Re: i have a question about hiv and herpes?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 09:01:58 pm »
hi there,
Anybody can get herpes whether you are positive or negative.  People with HIV don't automatically get herpes, you have to get it from someone just like any other STD.  It is a virus and cannot be cured but you can take medication to suppress it.
11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 09:06:44 pm »
Most adults have some form of exposure to herpes where it be from chickenpox , HPV , cold sores , genital herpes and shingles are all manifestations of herpes virus .

A low immune system can trigger an outbreak as well as stress and other factors , some people never have a problem with outbreaks . In order to have an outbreak there must be an exposure at some point in your life , most people have had that exposure . Its not simply a virus that's an std , it can be but remember that children get chickenpox and it doesn't come from sex .

That's what kittle I know about it .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline tippytu

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 09:07:14 pm »
Ok thanks I just read something that confused me.  I knew anyone can get them..I just saw something that made it look like positive people did not have to be exposed to get the virus.

Offline tippytu

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 09:08:47 pm »
 Sorry should've been more specific I was just referring to genital herpes

Offline Newguy

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 09:54:53 pm »
I am actually curious about herpes. I was thinking about this the other day, but it seems to have vanished! I had two initial outbreaks five years ago and they never came back. I read studies where people with HIV have more frequent and severe outbreaks but for me they have never come back. I am currently on Isentress and Truvada and there is some studies out there that suggest Isentress is also active against Herpes but no trials have been conducted in humans to my knowledge unless I missed something. Apparently integrase and the herpes enzyme terminase share similar structures? I don't know.

Any thoughts on this or more info?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 08:13:29 am »
Sorry should've been more specific I was just referring to genital herpes

You have to be exposed to the herpes simplex virus - either HSV1 or HSV2 - to get genital herpes. You can get genital herpes from having oral sex performed on you by someone with what's commonly known as a "cold sore" on their lip.

In general, HSV1 mainly affects the lips, and HSV2 mainly affects the genitals, but they are completely interchangeable.

You can read more about HSV1 and HSV2 here; http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/Herpes_6789.shtml

I have genital herpes that pre-dated my hiv by about seventeen years. Before hiv I used to get one or two outbreaks a year. By the time I had (untreated) hiv for about eight years, I started getting up to three or four outbreaks a month. Fun times. It sucked! That's when I finally went on acyclovir prophylaxis.

At my last hiv appointment, the doctor asked me if I was still taking acyclovir prophylaxis. I've been on hiv meds for just over a year now, with an UD VL for about 9/10 months. I told her I was considering going off the acyclovir when I'd been UD for a whole year, and she suggested I could do it now rather than wait.

I'm still currently taking it, mainly because I'd already filled out my pill trays for the month and they won't need refilling until the middle of next week.

When I told the doctor I was wary about stopping the acyclovir, she said as long as I have some on hand and have access to a repeat prescription (I do on both counts), that I could always just go back on it if I started having outbreaks again. I think I'll go for it.

I am actually curious about herpes. I was thinking about this the other day, but it seems to have vanished! I had two initial outbreaks five years ago and they never came back. I read studies where people with HIV have more frequent and severe outbreaks but for me they have never come back. I am currently on Isentress and Truvada and there is some studies out there that suggest Isentress is also active against Herpes but no trials have been conducted in humans to my knowledge unless I missed something. Apparently integrase and the herpes enzyme terminase share similar structures? I don't know.

Any thoughts on this or more info?

It's more about having your hiv under control (UD VL) than it is about what hiv meds you're on. Seeing as how you're a person who has thus far been able to control your herpes without antiviral meds (acyclovir), then there's no reason to think you'll have a problem now that your hiv is UD.

Look at it this way - when your body doesn't have to work so hard to keep hiv under control (because of the meds), it can put more energy into keeping herpes in check.

edited to add linky
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 08:19:42 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 08:37:44 am »

Most adults have some form of exposure to herpes where it be from chickenpox , HPV , cold sores , genital herpes and shingles are all manifestations of herpes virus .

I only just noticed this.... HPV is NOT in the herpes family of viruses. It's in the human papilloma family of viruses - which cause warts and cancers (simplistic but to the point). There are quite a few different types of HPV; not all will cause warts and not all will cause cancer.

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/HPV_6805.shtml

Cold sores and genital herpes are in the herpes simplex branch of the herpes family, and chicken pox and shingles are in the herpes zoster branch. You have to have had chicken pox at some point in your life before you might get shingles.

I already linked to the HSV lesson, so here's the link to the HZV lesson: http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/Shingles_6797.shtml

Herpes viruses are weird little buggers - they live in your spinal cord and only come out to play when you're stressed out, either mentally or physically or both.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 11:48:58 am »
I only just noticed this.... HPV is NOT in the herpes family of viruses. It's in the human papilloma family of viruses - which cause warts and cancers (simplistic but to the point). There are quite a few different types of HPV; not all will cause warts and not all will cause cancer.

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/HPV_6805.shtml

Cold sores and genital herpes are in the herpes simplex branch of the herpes family, and chicken pox and shingles are in the herpes zoster branch. You have to have had chicken pox at some point in your life before you might get shingles.

I already linked to the HSV lesson, so here's the link to the HZV lesson: http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/Shingles_6797.shtml

Herpes viruses are weird little buggers - they live in your spinal cord and only come out to play when you're stressed out, either mentally or physically or both.

OH lord ... Thanks for correcting . I need to do a little more home work before I post about something I know little about .

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.