Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:07:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 160
Total: 160

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: break in meds?  (Read 7398 times)

Offline justanotherncguy

break in meds?
« on: December 12, 2009, 04:26:07 am »
I've been on Atripla since october, i ended up moving and had a break in cell phone service etc, stressful times. I ran out of meds and wont be able to get any until monday when they arrive, how concerned should I be not taking the meds for 4 nights ?
6/7/2006    1034-32%  VL-7361
9/26/2006      824-28%     VL-36402
12/17/2007  708 -23%  VL-4130
5/27/2008      557-20%     VL-3471
11/7/2008      452-21%     VL-5880
2/19/2009      433-22%     VL-15300
8/20/2009      371-14%     VL-22200
10/13/2009 -Started Atripla

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: break in meds?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 09:23:34 am »
There's not much of a way to answer your question.  "Concern" yes I guess, but what's done is done right?  When you have your next lab work done it will tell if it was a fuck up or not, so I'd just wait and worry about it then and not be bothered in the interim, as that doesn't really do you much good.

Just don't keep doing it -- none of the excuses you laid out are worth a hill of beans.  You should build up a reserve of a month's worth of meds by getting your refills each month slightly on the early side.  Try to do that from now on, OK?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 10:24:08 am »
Based on studies the most leeway one would have with Atripla is two days off (the FOTO study, Five Days On, Two Days Off). Keep in mind this applies to people who were already virally suppressed before they tried it.

If you are not yet undetectable I recommend you do everything possible to get a hold of some Atripla.

Is there any way you can get at least two Atriplas from either your doctor or a friend or even go online and ask if anyone has any? If you can get even two, space them out, taking them every other day for those four days that you are out. Getting a hold of four would be even better.

For future reference, and especially if one is already undetectable: When running low on Atripla if you absolutely have no other choice and know you will run out and not have it for several days, it's preferable to take the last few tablets every other day rather than run out and not take it for several days in a row. This is not ideal but it's definitely better than going several days without it if one has no alternatives.

Also, as Miss P says always try to refill Rx as soon as you are able to every month so you can build an emergency supply. I have about 3 months of extra meds right now.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 10:52:21 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline buffaloboy

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 02:27:22 pm »
I think your best plan is to contact your HIV doctor before you take another dose of Atripla when the pills arrive on Monday. Efivirenz/Sustiva has a longer half life in the body than Truvada which can sometimes create resistance issues to all other drugs in the same class if stopped. When I threw the towel in with Atripla (for good) I had to still take Truvada on its own for 10 days, so it's definitely worth checking things out with a doctor to err on the side of caution.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 06:31:34 pm »
Frankly it seems rather reckless to be off your HAART so soon after starting.
You gotta commit to this and you gotta talk to your doc about both - 1) so see  if you f*cked up your atripla effectiveness this weekend. 2) to figure out a way to be sure you have a reliable access to your Combo no matter how f*cked up your life is. 
Remember - effective HAART makes hiv+ life so much better.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 10:07:09 pm »
Definitely if you have a friend on ATRIPLA see if you can borrow a few pills -- you can pay them back from the new bottle in just a few days.
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 06:33:47 pm »
Follow the sage advice of previous posts but 25 years as an "atypical" pozzie living with other non-disease-free people tells me HIV infection is a biological crap shoot.  My genes + HIV + other known and unknown factors + HAART + Plan 9 from Outer Space = Unique, Designer Disease.  I'm a human one-off Hookie Mookie made of virgin silkworm saliva encrusted with sparkling HIV diamonds, lightly dusted like a Cafe du Monde beignet with Trizivir dust twice a day... if I remember.

You may get an idea of the effect, if any, of your involuntary non-compliance with your next labs.  You may see a problem later after a teensy clump of HIV which gained resistance increases over time.  You may be hit by Halley's Comet tomorrow.  As Assurbanipal suggested try to get some Atripla from someone if you can.

I definitely believe once you decide to HAART you gotta ride that bronco or jump off quick.  In a weak moment in 1998 I allowed my doc to start me on Combivir & Viracept (?? I think...) but after 5 weeks of Vertigo (I kept dressing like Kim Novak and running to the top of bell towers) I stopped.   Combivir contains 2 of the drugs in my current regimen so resistance doesn't seem to be an issue, luckily for me.

In 10/2004 I began a clinical trial of twice daily Trizivir, which is contrary to standard HAART initiation guidelines (all 3 drugs in Triz are NRTIs so I take no other class of drug as most people do -- yay for me) but came at a time when I had fewer options.  I'm still on Trizzie and my v.l. has been undetectable since late 2004.  My frigging CD4s aren't so great (plummeted from 350 in May to 179 in September) but I'll get blood drawn this week and expect no surprises.   The real test is my overall health and that is fine.  No problems like thrush or other bizarre infections to indicate suppressed immune response.

As much as I've tried to stay ahead and have extra Triz it hasn't worked out.  My Medicare prescription program seems to measure refill eligibility in hours and on several occasions I've spent $200 or $300 for 4 or 6 pills to tide me over until the *&$^! gave the pharmacy the OK.   Last month I got 90 pills (60 is 1 month's supply) and paid 2 copays but didn't realize it until I got home. Tomorrow I plan to argue until everyone is blue in the face that they owe me the other 30 pills and I shouldn't have to make another copay but if I must I must.   

Excuse my rambling... do your best not to miss doses, young man!!  Life can throw one curve ball after another but cell phones are a distant 2nd to your meds on the scale of priorities.
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline justanotherncguy

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 07:29:31 pm »
I didn't take a break on purpose, the meds didn't arrive today either, i'll be calling my doctor in the am. As far as being off the atripla, i actually feel better than i was on it. I feel better mentally and physically i've gained 7lbs i'm only 15 more pounds toward my target weight. My sex drive has came back cause i didn't have one while i was on it. I definately want to get back on meds for sure! I got caught up with moving and losing my cell service for a few days etc. Typical life problems, and i thought i had more pills than i did.

Anyways i'm calling the doc tomorrow!

Offline mecch

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 12:06:53 pm »
I didn't take a break on purpose, the meds didn't arrive today either, i'll be calling my doctor in the am. As far as being off the atripla, i actually feel better than i was on it. I feel better mentally and physically i've gained 7lbs i'm only 15 more pounds toward my target weight. My sex drive has came back cause i didn't have one while i was on it. I definately want to get back on meds for sure! I got caught up with moving and losing my cell service for a few days etc. Typical life problems, and i thought i had more pills than i did.
Anyways i'm calling the doc tomorrow!
7 lbs in a few days? and Sex drive instantly back?  Something is rotten in denmark.  In any event, in my humble strangers opinion, you are showing great ambivalence about being on HAART for the long run. Read your paragraph again. It is filled with contradictions.

Be careful, you are playing with fire. You don't want to screw up your HAART options on such whims.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 06:49:34 pm »
Follow the sage advice of previous posts but 25 years as an "atypical" pozzie living with other non-disease-free people tells me HIV infection is a biological crap shoot.  My genes + HIV + other known and unknown factors + HAART + Plan 9 from Outer Space = Unique, Designer Disease.  I'm a human one-off Hookie Mookie made of virgin silkworm saliva encrusted with sparkling HIV diamonds, lightly dusted like a Cafe du Monde beignet with Trizivir dust twice a day... if I remember...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 06:54:18 pm »
7 lbs in a few days? and Sex drive instantly back?  Something is rotten in denmark.  In any event, in my humble strangers opinion, you are showing great ambivalence about being on HAART for the long run. Read your paragraph again. It is filled with contradictions.

Be careful, you are playing with fire. You don't want to screw up your HAART options on such whims.

I have to agree with the good advice that has already been given.  As has been stated, it's a bit like playing Russian Roulette to miss your meds for so many days in a row.  As far as the sudden return of your sex drive and weight, sounds like it's more likely due to placebo effect than anything else?  If Atripla is an issue for you (which it very well may be), why not have a discussion with your doctor about switching meds once you're undetectable?  There's a great discussion going on right now about Isentress.

Anyhow, stay healthy and good luck!

Offline hotpuppy

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 10:45:46 pm »
I recently had to stop my meds due to liver toxicity.  I had a conversation with two different HIV doctors about this very subject, although not about Atripla. 

The net result of it is that they both said that there are treatment breaks for a variety of reasons.  It's more important not to haphazardly miss doses.... i.e Miss Monday, and then again Thursday, and then Friday because you were tweaking.

Missing because your life is fucked up or you are sick etc... or your insurance is sick of you.... lol is another story.

The most important thing, more important than anything that *anyone* here is says is to talk to your doctor and follow his or her advice.  Chances are that if you don't make a regular habit of taking holidays from your meds you will be fine.  However, as other experienced folks have pointed out, you only get one shot at some of the drugs. If you screw it up you will go from a med that has few side effects to one that may not be as much fun to take. 

There are a few things to keep in mind, because you may not be able to build up a reserve if you are getting meds for free.

1) Most ASOs have a "med-loaner" program where they will help you out if you run out for a few days.  Most pharmacies will do the same thing.  Ask next time you are at your ASO and find out what you need to do to utilize it.
2) You can usually get a prescription for a few days from your doctor if you call and explain what is going on.  Don't take "leave him a message" from the staff either.  Explain that it isn't an emergency but it is urgent and it has important consequences for your treatment.  Above all be polite.  Nobody likes a demanding jerk on the phone. 
3) Friends will normally loan pills if they think they will get them back or they have a stockpile. 

Above all, relax.  Stress is just as toxic as anything else.  HIV is a cross country race, not a dash across the street.  So if you stumble you haven't lost as long as you keep running.  Get your stride back, prioritize what matters, and take care of yourself.
Don't obsess over the wrong things.  Life isn't about your numbers, it isn't about this forum, it isn't about someone's opinion.  It's about getting out there and enjoying it.   I am a person with HIV - not the other way around.

Offline justanotherncguy

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2009, 12:24:16 am »
So the update....the monday i thought my meds didn't come in, they did, so i started back so i was off of them for 5 days. You guys saying playing with fire? get a grip, i didn't do it on purpose and dont plan on it to happen again. as far as the weight gain and sex drive back, i think thats its because my body is used to the medicine. I think maybe my meds have helped my body get to the point of health to where it needs to be.

All i know is that everyones body is different so who knows until i get to the doc again and have tests done.

I'm happy to be gaining weight for once, have my appetite back and my sex drive!

Offline mecch

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2009, 08:11:54 am »
As far as being off the atripla, i actually feel better than i was on it. I feel better mentally and physically i've gained 7lbs i'm only 15 more pounds toward my target weight. My sex drive has came back cause i didn't have one while i was on it.

This statement does not match your theory in your new post.  You new theory is that you had a sex drive in your 5-day treatment pause because the treatment made your body healthy.  come again?  There's also the seven lb gain in a few days. Huh?

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 10:05:13 am »
THIN IS IN!
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline beefbud

• just some flesh caught in this big broken machine"
    • cubster dot com
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2009, 03:10:35 am »
good to hear you're back on track and understand you didn't do it on purpose...id definitely use this as a learning experience though.

Your comment about your sex drive coming back and appetite, you have a clearer head and all that.  Maybe you should talk to your doc about the side effects of the Sustiva component?   I experienced the same thing while taking Atripla and just dealt with it.  Switched my meds and all that went away...I loved the convenience of Atripla and the wonders it did to bring me undetectable within 30 days but your post may suggest that you are experiencing some (maybe not so hard to deal with) side effects. 

Take it with a grain of salt as I am not a doctor I am speaking of MY experience and yours sounded familiar.
Can't hurt to have a discussion about it with your doc and best of luck to you.
"first impressions are cheap auditions"

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2009, 08:19:34 am »
The answer of Dr Young for a 2 days (unwanted) break

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Meds/Current/Q205799.html?ic=700101

Now, missing a single dose is still not an option.
I would definitely try my best to get back on meds asap.

Offline burstnbloom

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 12:48:28 pm »

I say Yay for you for feeling better..everyone thinks that we are the Big Drug Companies rats and that we should eat our pills like a good boy should..well, i take my pills just as I am suppose to..but feel like Sh#t so when a person feels better it is important...maybe the Big Drug companies dont care if you feel like crap or not?!!  glad you are back on your pills and good luck with your health.

So the update....the monday i thought my meds didn't come in, they did, so i started back so i was off of them for 5 days. You guys saying playing with fire? get a grip, i didn't do it on purpose and dont plan on it to happen again. as far as the weight gain and sex drive back, i think thats its because my body is used to the medicine. I think maybe my meds have helped my body get to the point of health to where it needs to be.

All i know is that everyones body is different so who knows until i get to the doc again and have tests done.

I'm happy to be gaining weight for once, have my appetite back and my sex drive!
burstnbloom

Offline rioz

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2010, 10:36:47 am »
I say Yay for you for feeling better..everyone thinks that we are the Big Drug Companies rats and that we should eat our pills like a good boy should..well, i take my pills just as I am suppose to..but feel like Sh#t so when a person feels better it is important...maybe the Big Drug companies dint care if you feel like crap or not?!!  glad you are back on your pills and good luck with your health.

Really? Everyone thinks we are the Big Drug Companies rats???? I don't, nor does everyone I know!
I get pissed when I hear this kind of statement because I have seen dozens of slow painful deaths of friends and loved ones. I know the emptiness of loss and the anger and frustration of "if they only hung on a little longer" for these WONDER DRUGS.

Do you really believe there is a Big Drug Company collective conscious and that it is focused on the way we feel? Instead of feeling like shit maybe you would like to feel dead.

Sorry for the rant but really, please.

Remembering all those who were not as fortunate as us and giving thanks everyday to the scientists, chemists, doctors, volunteers and the BIG Drug Companies for saving my life and the lives of others,

Richard
Living with HIV since 1985
Living with AIDS since 2007

Truvada, Lexiva, Norvir, Levothyroxine, Testim, Sertraline, Crestor

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.