Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:35:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 688
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 676
Total: 676

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Fatigue; non-med related.  (Read 5078 times)

Offline Tar Heel

Fatigue; non-med related.
« on: December 23, 2006, 09:23:54 am »
I've been poz for a year and a half and over the last few weeks have been totally wiped out.  I'm not on meds and my last blood work looked good with no signs of anemia.  I go back for a re-check in 3 weeks.

But is it normal to have such fatigue if your numbers look good (CD4 was 696, VL was 27K) and if you are not on meds?

I'm not really stressed about the holidays or my job.

Ideas/suggestions??
"So much has been given to me that I have no time to ponder on that which has been denied." ~ Helen Keller

Offline skeebo1969

Re: Fatigue; non-med related.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 09:45:36 am »

My Cd4's were around the same ballpark that yours are in, but my viral load was quite high.   I felt fatigue practically all the time since seroconverting.   I actually thought something else was wrong with me since April 30, 2005.   I had no idea I was positive til September 2005.   Your fatigue might just be due to the HIV.   Could also be stress related caused by just knowing your pos..   Are you getting a full nights sleep?   Have you discussed this with your doctor? 

Thomas
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 09:49:12 am »

Ooops sorry I just reread your post and saw it has just been occuring the last few weeks..  When were your last labs done?  It might just be possible that your Vl is increasing..  I know for me I felt fatigued even when my VL hit an all time low of 8,000.   It's incredible how much better I have been feeling this last month since starting meds.

Thomas

Offline Tar Heel

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 10:13:32 am »
I sleep like a baby, my appetite is great.  I just feel wiped out at the end of every day and want to stay in bed all the time.  i don't think it's depression (Prozac is a wonder drug.)

I go to my ID doc every 4 months and go back the 2nd week of Jan.

I'm just wondering if I need to think about starting meds.
"So much has been given to me that I have no time to ponder on that which has been denied." ~ Helen Keller

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2006, 11:12:21 am »

As long as your numbers stay where they are I wouldn't.  Generally the norm to start meds is when your Cd4 repeatedly is in the 300-350 range and your Vl is constantly above 100,000...  Not just meaning one set of labs either...  right now your numbers are great!   Take your vitamins!   Also just curious did you just recently start the Prozac.   I know when I started taking Paxil it kind of screwed with my energy levels in the beginning and then everything just leveled off back to normal.

Ultimately the choice is yours...  make sure to tell your doctor about the fatigue at your next visit.

Thomas

Offline Tar Heel

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 11:14:46 am »

Also just curious did you just recently start the Prozac.   I know when I started taking Paxil it kind of screwed with my energy levels in the beginning and then everything just leveled off back to normal.

Nah, I've been on the Prozac for 10+ years.  I've tried to go off it a few times but was so ill, I couldn't stand myself.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006, 01:37:28 pm »
I'm glad you're having a checkup. There has to be an explanation. Why not call your doctor now and just discuss it, instead of waiting another couple of weeks?

What are your eating habits like? Good nutrition or what? There might be some very simple explanation and just for your own peace of mind I say give Dr. Feelgood a call and tell him what's up.

And in any case, if you need the rest, get it. It's good to listen to your body.

Keep us posted.

Cheers, 
Andy Velez

Offline PositivelyYours

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2006, 02:46:09 pm »
Hello,

I have experience some fatigue and I think it just goes along with being HIV Positive.  You know this virus is working 24/7, so it drains the body.  Some days I feel like I have been hit by two dump trucks.  During your next visit with your doctor just let him or her know.   Try to hang in there and think positive - You will be just fine.

PositivelyYours

I've been poz for a year and a half and over the last few weeks have been totally wiped out.  I'm not on meds and my last blood work looked good with no signs of anemia.  I go back for a re-check in 3 weeks.

But is it normal to have such fatigue if your numbers look good (CD4 was 696, VL was 27K) and if you are not on meds?

I'm not really stressed about the holidays or my job.

Ideas/suggestions??
PositivelyYours

Diagnosed: 08/10/2006
08/31/06 CD4:240/VL:39,000
09/12/06 CD4:359/VL:50,000
11/16/06 CD4:509/VL:76,000 (Flu Shot)
02/13/07 CD4:270/VL:69,000
02/17/07 Developed the Shingles
02/20/07 CD4:326/VL (Not Tested)
03/20/07 CD4:484/VL:54,000
06/19/07 CD4:488/VL:51,000
09/18/07 CD4:372/VL:27,000
10/09/07 Took Flu Shot
12/18/07 CD4:408/VL:85,000
03/18/08 CD4:394/VL:116,000 (Still No Meds)
05/22/08 CD4:412/VL:63,000
08/13/08 CD4:362/VL:67,000
09/23/08 Took Flu Shot
10/15/08 CD4:340/VL:54,000
11/14/08 Started Atripla @ 9:45 p.m.
1/30/09 CD4:641/VL:<48 Copies
5/07/09 CD4:667/VL: Undetectable
12/02/09 CD4:759/VL: Undetectable
03/05/10 CD4:537/VL: Undetectable
03/16/10 Rec'd TB Skin Test, Pneumonia & Hep B Vac
04/15/10 Hep B & Tetanus Vac
6/10 CD4: 748 VL: Undet.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2006, 03:12:19 pm »
Hmmm, I would talk to your doc like Andy suggested and see what he says. I know I'm usually tired all day everyday but I guess it's due to being anemic, diabetic, and poz...Go figure but there are times when I have to motivate myself to do things. But things affect us all differently.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2006, 05:12:58 pm »
I'm looking at a checklist, if you will.  You are sleeping as needed.  You have a good appetite and I assume that you are eating what you need to give you energy?  You don't think that it's S.A.D.  You did say, though:

I just feel wiped out at the end of every day and want to stay in bed all the time.  i don't think it's depression

Is your workload overwhelming at the moment?  Too much work after too many years of the same?  The 'want to stay in bed all the time' of course triggers the depression question.  Since you are the expert on this via work (and I work with the mentally challenged, but...) do you like your work still?  Time for a change?  Or could your meds. have reached the point we see in our patients that it's no longer working at the current dose?  Win
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline Robert

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2006, 09:48:42 pm »
Have you had your thyroid checked lately?  The thyroid produces hormones that affect your body's metabolism and energy level. It's easy to check and easy to fix.  When you see your Dr. next time ask him to check your TSH.  A high number indicates an underactive thyroid.  A low number indicates an overactive thyroid.  Either way, the symptoms are chronic fatigue and anxiety.

robert

Offline Rightbrain

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2006, 11:42:56 pm »
Hi,  I agree with Robert.  Have your thyroid checked.  Also have your testosterone checked.  I have had fatigue from both, and it can be nasty. 

Best wishes,

brother joe
If there's a cure I hope I can have all the leftover Sustiva.

Offline sdcabincrew74

• My Manhunt account
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2006, 01:28:17 am »
Um, depression?  It is that time of year.....maybe just too busy and stressed?
The difference between an overnight and a layover is luck!

Offline Eldon

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2006, 02:53:04 am »
Yes, I AM Supporting You!

Hey Tar Heel...

It is GOOD to hear from you! As for your situation, stress and anxiety does play a role with your energy levels. However, as you have mentioned your stress levels are really low. In this case, you may want to consider taking notes of when you are fatigued and if it is after some form of activity that you are doing.

When you go back to your Doctor you may want to discuss with him/her any other symptoms that may present this to you. There was a topic that was discussed in the earlier months concerning fatigue and testosterone. You may want to read up on this as well as there were a number of replies there.

"Don't You Dare Give Up, Don't You Dare Give In...Because It Is ALL Within YOU to WIN!!!"

Offline Tar Heel

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2006, 07:02:26 am »
I've worked in mental health- it's not depression.

Thyroid is fine.  I had a TSH done 3 months ago.  I have not have a testosterone level done tho.  That might be on the agenda for my upcoming visit.

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2006, 11:52:07 am »
In 1994 I started feeling wiped out all the time even though my CD4 was in the 500 - 600 range.  I asked for an accommodation at work and worked at home several hours each week and fewer hours on the job.  This seemed to help until I contracted chronic Hepatitis B in November, 2001.  I left my job on January 29, 2002 and spent the next 2 - 3 years sleeping 12 - 18 hours every day. 

In January my hep test came back negative (the 3TC in Trizivir also works against hep) and for a while I psyched myself up into thinking I had more energy.  By the end of May I was so exhausted it took a couple of months to get back to "normal."  My psychiatrist (not my ID doc) prescribed Adderall and without it I can't make it through an entire day.

I see my ID doc next week and am asking for thyroid and testosterone tests since I haven't had either checked in about 10 years.   I woke up at 7AM and it's only 11AM now and I could easily plop into bed and sleep.

Good luck!

Boo
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline lonbjny

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2006, 01:33:17 pm »
Hey,

we have been positive for a similar amount of time (under 3 years). I experienced fatigue from months 12-24 and have recently come out of it in the past 4 months. I used to just want to sleep all the time. Even eating made me tired.

I thought it would never end. But it did. I paid more attention to my diet, gave up coffee, cut out a lot of sugar. I am not convinced that was what improved things. Overall I feel like I have just entered a different cycle of the illness. I just wanted you to know that things may just get better as your body learns to deal with the disease. So still look for a reason for the fatigue, but if you can just hold out for a while you might be pleasantly surprised.

Best of luck,

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.