Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:14:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 346
Total: 346

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 2 weeks of constipation  (Read 7519 times)

Offline PeteNYNJ

• When life gives you AIDS...make LemonAIDS!
    • Dance for Me, Puppets
2 weeks of constipation
« on: August 19, 2006, 01:30:44 pm »
Hello everyone

Hope everyone is well.  I have been better.  For the last two weeks I have been constipated.  Bloating, feeling crappy (pardon the pun), sluggish, unsuccessful trips to the bathroom.  Not a fun time.

I went to the doctor last week and he said occasional constipation is normal.  Gave me some stool softeners, fiber pills, etc.  This still hasn't cleared up and now my stomach is beginning to hurt on and off.   My appetite is normal so I am concerned about where all the waste is going.

I have never been constipated before so don't know if it is normal for it to take this long to clear up.  I am worried it is a bigger issue like a blockage or an infection. 

I am currently not on meds, good CD4 and low VL.

Any insights?  Tips? 

Thanks gang

Offline bear60

Re: 2 weeks of constipation
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 02:05:36 pm »
Gosh..... Its not often there is a post on constipation!  From my point of view the first question would be.....What are you eating? and Have you changed your diet at all?
Think " fiber" ..... for getting things moving.  Eat lots of salads and fresh fruits and veggies!
Constipation often results from not eating enough "bulk"......or fiber. Check with your doctor if this persists.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 02:24:22 pm by bear60 »
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline maddeuwch

• Po callaf y dyn,anamlaf ei eiriau.
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 02:07:41 pm »
Hey Confused,

I've had weeks of just the opposite and have been diagnosed as having Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

Constipation can also be a symptom of IBS and stressing and worrying can exasperate it.

It could be all manner of things....it could be nothing.

Go back to your doc...you'll soon get it sorted.

Hope you have a good blow-out soon ;D

Paul.

Po callaf y dyn,anamlaf ei eiriau...(i need to remember that sometimes)!

Offline water duck

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 04:19:21 pm »
I am feeling your pain !!
Am just wondering if you know of something called tamarind, that asians use alot in their cooking ??
Know for being laxative and digestive besides having calcium and vit B.
You may like to google to see the possibilities of products available in your region. There are lots of things available in the asian grocery market : sweets, confection .......

Hope you find a solution to your problem soon !!

Siang

Offline Eldon

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 04:57:40 pm »
Think " fiber" ..... for getting things moving.  Eat lots of salads and fresh fruits and veggies!
Constipation often results from not eating enough "bulk"......or fiber. Check with your doctor if this persists.

Hello Confused, I am with Bear60 on this one. Think Fiber and change your diet/eating habits. It will all work itself out for you.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 04:58:45 pm »
Hi ,

Try increasing your water intake. Try timing your bowel movements at the same time each day, just shortly after a meal. Don't force it !! sit there an hour if you have to.Additional Fiber and stool softening supplements should help, but be cautious of using the stool softeners for any length of time. They can cause problems also. If none of this helps, get in touch with the doctor again.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 05:48:53 pm »
Papaya is good, helps to regulate the bowel cos it  supports natural colon movement, soothes irritated GI tract & reduces gassy feeling. Needs to be ripe, if possible.

Ginger, especially tea, also good. Grate 1-2 tablespoons of peeled fresh ginger into a cup of boiling water, put saucer on top & allow to infuse for about 10 minutes. Then strain and drink it. (I eat the pieces of grated ginger…) To boost this add a few fennel or dill seeds, they help relieve pain from bloating, flatulence and indigestion( & if its been 2 weeks, I’m guessing there’s a bit of that going on)

Aloe vera juice, and any juice high in sorbitol…prune, apple, pear…just lots of fluids, especially if you are taking/eating high fibre foods/Metamucil etc..too little water can cause bowel obstruction.

Linseed  - Whole or cracked Linseed: 1 tablespoonful taken with 150ml(one-half cup) of water 2 to 3 times/day, or
Linseed meal: 2 to 4 tablespoonfuls daily, make into a hot cereal.
Again, lots to drink with this please..

Molasses, pretty harmless, 1-2 teaspoons/day

Exercise, keep active. Yoga postures, anything involving twists or bends, like padahastasana, cobra, or savasana (corpse pose)

Warm baths, gentle lower abdomen massage, in clockwise direction.

You might need a more stimulant laxative, like bisacodyl, but check in with your dr, see what he thinks.

Ps..please don’t try all of the above at once…otherwise we gonna be answering a different kind of post..

Kate

Offline alterman

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 12:31:35 am »
Hello everyone

Hope everyone is well.  I have been better.  For the last two weeks I have been constipated.  Bloating, feeling crappy (pardon the pun), sluggish, unsuccessful trips to the bathroom.  Not a fun time.

I went to the doctor last week and he said occasional constipation is normal.  Gave me some stool softeners, fiber pills, etc.  This still hasn't cleared up and now my stomach is beginning to hurt on and off.   My appetite is normal so I am concerned about where all the waste is going.

I have never been constipated before so don't know if it is normal for it to take this long to clear up.  I am worried it is a bigger issue like a blockage or an infection. 

I am currently not on meds, good CD4 and low VL.

Any insights?  Tips? 

Thanks gang
The answer to your problem is go to the drugstore and get yourself some a box of enima and it will clear you out.

Offline since94

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 01:44:20 am »
I just went thru 6 months of that. Turned out to be a parasite.
(Giardia) from unwashed salads or rimming.
I asked 3 months ago at my clinic and they said no it coiuldn't be a parasite unless I always had the runs. I was blocked solid. So they order an untra-sound.
Go figure.
Insist on a test for a parasite. I stopped eating (due to abdominal cramps),
lost 20 pounds, and lost 6 months of work and gave up my anti-virals. They kept kicking around the IBS theory but you CAN'T get that diagnosis without a colonoscopy
so don't let them tell you. I never even got one-- it was an emergency
hospital trip which confrimed the Giardia parasite-- not my clinic doctor.
I am still supposed to get a colonoscopy but everything now seems to be clearing up.

Don't let this go on too long or your body will train itself to stop eating.
I am now a super-model.

steve

Offline PeteNYNJ

• Dance for Me, Puppets
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 11:11:16 am »
Thanks for the advice everyone.   

My diet is pretty high in fiber and I drink lots of water.  I have added extra fiber, water, prune juice, etc for the last two weeks to no avail.  This weekend I have fever and nightsweats so I made an appointment with my doc. 

I will let you know the outcome...I am sure you are all on pins and needles :)

Offline bear60

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2006, 09:35:33 am »
Hi
I am so sorry that the constipation has gotten so bad. I sure hope you got some good medical attention.  Let us know what happens.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2006, 09:43:22 am »
Just about any HIV drug should clear your problem up forever. What about ExLax??

Offline PeteNYNJ

• Dance for Me, Puppets
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2006, 11:16:35 am »
The saga continues....

Went to the doctor yesterday.   I have to go for a CT on Friday and then make an appointment with a GI doctor. 

He gave me an antibiotic since I had a fever.  I took it last night and didnt sleep well at all.  I think I may be having a bit of an allergic reaction to it.  Nothing major - just feel a bit itchy.   Do you think I should continue taking the antibiotic?

Thanks for all your posts

Pete

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2006, 11:28:07 am »
Oh Christ Queen!

1 tablespoon of epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) in 250 ml (yup that's a WHOLE cup) of warm water. Drink and relax.

Ya dig?

MtD

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2006, 11:32:36 am »
Thanks for the advice everyone.   

My diet is pretty high in fiber and I drink lots of water.  I have added extra fiber, water, prune juice, etc for the last two weeks to no avail.  This weekend I have fever and nightsweats so I made an appointment with my doc. 

I will let you know the outcome...I am sure you are all on pins and needles :)

I for one am 100% positive what the outcome will be....

LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline PeteNYNJ

• Dance for Me, Puppets
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2006, 11:37:38 am »
I am envious of that elephant :)

Matty - you sound like my friends.  They tell me to stop worrying about it which is probably how I got into this mess to begin with.

This has been on hell of a year!!

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2006, 11:50:24 am »
:) My advice is to avoid Ex Lax and other laxatives if possible, as many of them create a dependence that's hard to kick.

Fiber supplements (the nasty things you dissolve... well, to a point... in water) and magnesium sulfate, much much water intake, and physical activity are your best bets here.

So what are they going to DO with the crap they are getting from that elephant anyhow?

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2006, 03:20:18 pm »
WE ship it to Matty... god knows what HE does with it.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.