Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:35:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 344
Total: 344

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: will someone be kind enough to answer all of my questions below...thanks  (Read 6156 times)

Offline arsenalfan88

hello,i had an unprotected vaginal exposure with a lady on the 27th of september of this year,i am waiting to get tested when my 12 weeks time frame gets complete.i know symptoms cannot be diagnosed but just to have my mind at peace before the test i have a few questions if you would be kind enough to answer.these are only doubts in my mind and i will only post later after my test results are in.
-what are the odds of acquring hiv if the girl is positive if i only had vaginal sex once with her in my life time?
1)-Exactly 4 weeks and 5 days later i developed a rash on my neck,shoulders and chest,no sore throat,no flu like symptoms,slight headache for one day,no body pain,no increase in lymph nodes size except a slightly raised lymph node in right armpit and a lymph node that was painful and increased in lower back above hip,it still is,my temperature was 99.6 farenheit when i saw the rash,at night it was 100.3 farenheit,next morning it went away(below 100 farenheit) and in 4,5 days the rash went away too.may i add that i drank alot of vodka the night before the rash so the alcohol may have caused the rash...
does this look or sound  like ars to you?
2)can ars happen after the 4 week mark or 6 week mark after exposure?
3)i have lost about 4 kgs since the exposure,does weight loss occur so early after exposure,its been about 2 months and few days after exposure, if you are Godforbid hiv positive then in this period is this much weight loss a sign of hiv infection,maybe i am not eating that much as i used to before or i have cut down on my sugar intake,maybe.
4)the testing after exposure guideline says 12 weeks,is that 3 months or if you convert in days then can u tell how many days after exposure should you test...12 into 7 is 84 so should i test on the 84 days mark?
5) finally i have had flu/cold twice since my exposure,the thought that comes in my mind is that my immune system has weakened due to Godforbid the hiv infection and that is why i am getting sick....my question is that in 2,3 months after exposure or getting infected does the immune system weakens so much that you get sick twice in such a less period....lastly within one week after exposure i developed a sore throat and slight fever,is that too soon for ars....thankyou....please do look at each question and reply....it would put my mind at some ease before the testing period gets finished,thankyou...

Offline RapidRod

Re: will someone be kind enough to answer all of my questions below...thanks
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 12:36:36 pm »
None of your symptoms are indictative of ARS. You did put yourself at risk for not only HIV but other STDs. You can test 3 months post exposure for your conclusive test result. The US is the only place that uses 13 weeks all others use 12 weeks.

Offline arsenalfan88

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 12:41:16 pm »
thanks...i was hoping for somebody to reply question by question...

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 12:43:36 pm »
arsenal,

Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus that is more difficult to transmit from a woman to a man. However, more difficult does not mean impossible. The chance of you becoming infected from one instance of unprotected vaginal intercourse is very low, but not zero.

1. We do not discuss symptoms here as symptoms are meaningless when it comes to diagnosing hiv infection. Many people do not experience a single symptoms and for us to concentrate on symptoms might lead someone with no symptoms, but a real risk, to not bother testing.

2. ARS symptoms, if they happen at all, usually happen between two and three weeks after infection has taken place. Six weeks would be rare.

3. Some people lose weight, some do not. Again, symptoms or even the lack of symptoms are meaningless when it comes to hiv.

4. Any time at or after 84 days is conclusive.

5. Once again, symptoms or even the lack of symptoms are meaningless when it comes to hiv. ONLY testing will accurately inform you of your hiv status. If you feel unwell, see a doctor. In your case, chances are very good it has nothing to do with hiv.

The only way to know your hiv status is to test at the appropriate time. The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days. A six week (or more) negative must be confirmed at the three month point.

Good luck with your test. You have an excellent chance of testing negative. Let's hope you do and this is nothing more than a learning experience.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline arsenalfan88

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 12:53:15 pm »
thanks alot for the informative and detailed reply...my confidence has increased manifold,now i can test with more confidence,my only concern is the weightloss though,4 kgs is alot in 2 months time...thankyou again:)

Offline arsenalfan88

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 02:08:11 pm »
Hello Ann,I have a question...
The guide on this website says about ars that:
In rare instances they may occur within a few days after the exposure has taken place.

So how many days are we talking about exactly?
thanks

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 02:54:27 pm »
Instead of trying to pin down such a quantifiable number, what you really need to know is that neither the presence nor the absence of symptoms will ever tell you anything reliably accurate about your HIV status. If there has been a genuine risk only an HIV test at 13 weeks afterwards can give you a conclusive, negative result.

The symptoms sometimes associated with ARS are too similar to too many other illnesses.

Like Ann I do expect you to come out of this one-time incident ok. You have a little more waiting time for what I expect is going to be a negative result.   
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 02:54:43 pm »
arsenal,

As I've already told you, ARS symptoms, if they happen at all, usually happen between two and three weeks following infection. It would be very rare for it to happen before ten or twelve days.

You need to forget about analysing symptoms. It's a meaningless exercise, so stop it.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline arsenalfan88

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 06:59:07 pm »
Alright one last question before i forcibly put myself to sleep...as i mentioned my exposure was 28th september,today is 10th december,in this period i have lost about 5 kgs of weight,maybe im eating less carbs and sugars than i used to before.....in the period i mentioned if i had Godforbid acquired the virus on the 28th of september then is it normal to lose around 5,6 kgs in this period....im sorry,this question is popping in my head again and again and no matter how much i try and calm myself down i am unable to...i have a test date for the 30th of december....

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 07:02:22 pm »
Neither weight loss or gain is an HIV-specific occurence.

You have a couple of more weeks to wait until you get tested. Get busy with other things in  your life. It will make the time pass way more easily than you imagine. And don't bother saying you're too worried to do that because I can tell you that response isn't going to fly here. Just do it.

Andy Velez

Offline arsenalfan88

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 07:05:07 pm »
sorry my english is not the best,can you explain what you said about weight loss in simple words please...

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 07:11:56 pm »
sorry my english is not the best,can you explain what you said about weight loss in simple words please...

Arsenal,

We're saying that your weight loss could be caused by many things. The symptoms you mention are not like those some people get with ARS. Symptoms are really not a good indicator of anything when it comes to HIV.

I agree with Ann and Andy. Get your HIV test at the right time. Until then you're just going to have to get on with your life.

MtD

Offline arsenalfan88

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 07:20:31 pm »
are u talking about all my symptoms or the weight loss...i understand that this can be caused by many other things but what i am trying to ask that this much weight loss in this period of time ,is this common with initial infection 2 months back Godforbid...thanks,regards

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2010, 07:25:37 pm »
are u talking about all my symptoms or the weight loss...i understand that this can be caused by many other things but what i am trying to ask that this much weight loss in this period of time ,is this common with initial infection 2 months back Godforbid...thanks,regards

All your symptoms, including the weight loss. The only way you will know your HIV status is to get tested at 12 weeks. Stressing out over symptoms is a waste of time.

And, for the record, losing 4 kilos in 8 weeks really isn't a big deal. That's like 500 grams a week.

MtD

Offline arsenalfan88

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2010, 07:27:22 pm »
Alright Thankyou

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.