Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:52:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 618
Total: 618

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Please someone respond. I am very scared.  (Read 3932 times)

Offline hivordengue

Please someone respond. I am very scared.
« on: June 14, 2008, 05:10:23 am »
Hello,

I know you see alot of posts like this, but I am very scared and I am hoping you could shed some light on my situation.

My Risk. The last time i had unprotected sex was with my ex-girlfriend in oct 07 (i know she had several boyfriends before me..but i did not ask about them and now we do not talk). My last protected sexual encounter was in jan 08 with a sex worker. 

I am in my late twenties. I am asthmatic (been so all my life). I came down with pnemonia last Feb 08. During this time i was smoking and under extreme stress as i was depressed due to a break up with my girlfriend. It started when I first came down with a respiratory track infection for which i was taking antibiotics, but i was still smoking - was not sleeping well and was extremely stressed at work. It was under these conditions that i came down with pneumonia. The doc described it as an a-typical pneumonia as i was walking around did not need to be hospitalized. The pneumonia left in a month (march 08) but it seemed to have left my asthma in a bad state and I would be short of breath and feel weak until april.

Then in May I got hit by what seemed like dengue (fyi. I had ridden in a car full of mosquitoes one morning 2 weeks prior). I had a sudden onset of high fever one night and my skin turned red all over. A day Iater saw a doc and we took a dengue test and a blood count test to see if my platelets were low. The following day the dengue test came back neg ( but the doc said that is to be expected since it was early on in the sickness)  he did notice that my WBC count was low and my platelets were in the low range too - so he concluded dengue. My doc then became suspicious of my pneumonia. He felt that i shouldnt have gotten it at such young an age and that i should have bounced back from it quickly (it shouldnt have taken a month). He then began suspecting HIV. This scared the hell out of me. At the time i was in his office and my "dengue" symptoms increased instantly the moment he mentioned HIV - my fever hit and i suddenly became extremely weak and had the worst headache in my life. When I reached home I started got diarreah and began vomiting. The doc said we would have to wait after the dengue left to test for HIV. That it we should wait a month before we test for HIV as dengue can result in a false-positive. 

Its been about 3-4 weeks now. I was still getting periods of fatigue up to my 3rd week.  I have been very anxious this whole time because of the HIV suspicion. I've been doing all the wrong things and been obsessively looking up HIV symptoms online.

I am worried now whether my dengue could have been ARS. And I know that pneumonia is common sickness related to HIV. 

I also noticed how during the "dengue" I had oral thrush in my mouth - its mild and does not hurt, but I still have it now. I feel like ive had oral thrush before as I am asthmatic and I am on daily anti-asthma inhalers. But its only now that iam suspicious of HIV that I worry about it. I also drink lots of coffee which i heard that it makes oral thrush worse.

2 weeks ago my skin started getting very dry..to the point that it feels like a sun burn. This has gotten me to be even more scared.

My lymph nodes in my neck became swollen when I had dengue. They began to go down a little a week later. But last week they started to swell again, this time, my lymphnodes in my armpits and groin are swollen too. I am so anxious and scared now.

I cannot sleep well and I am extremely anxious.  Do you think the symptoms I have described could be ARS? or HIV? I've taken a test but it will take a week for the results to come back.

Please would you shed some light on my symptoms?

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Please someone respond. I am very scared.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 05:30:39 am »
Dengue,

We can't shed any light on your symptoms because they sound typical of any number of viral illnesses, including Dengue Fever. So rather than fussing about symptoms, let's focus on your risky behaviours.

You report having unprotected sex in October last year. This is a risk for HIV transmission and you do need to be tested and it's good that you have been. However this would not be the cause of the symptoms you've recently experienced. The protected sex you talk about from January does not pose a risk for HIV transmission as condoms are an effective barrier.

I am not aware of evidence suggesting that Dengue Fever can trigger false HIV positive results. HIV is a difficult virus to transmit, particularly from female to male. and I expect that the outcome of your recent HIV antibody test will be negative.

You should know that we only deal with HIV related issues here at AIDSmeds and so your concerns about Dengue Fever are not something we can address. You should continue to work with your doctor about that.

Please take the time to read our Welcome Thread and follow the links to our Lessons to learn more about how HIV is and is not transmitted

Once again I expect you to test negative.

MtD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.