Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:43:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 414
Total: 416

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The Ubertrashy Haves and Have Nots  (Read 5127 times)

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
The Ubertrashy Haves and Have Nots
« on: September 04, 2013, 07:30:57 am »
I love Tyler Perry's show - (the one hit on OWN???)
It is the TRASHIEST SOAPIEST most MELODRAMATIC piece of crap on TV. 
Every character is schizophrenic and the intrigues are politically incorrect mashups of the most offensive stereotypes evah....

I was washing the dishes the other day and watching the scene in this clip, from Chelsea Handler, and was screaming and overreacting just like Loni Love!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH2FwSUGTXY

The pace is very slow and everything is forshadowed obviously and repeated 10x so you get plenty of time to be emotive about all the scandal.

All the dramatic monologues are gripping and ridiculous and every episode has a few. 

Oh Jeffrey's mother is a complete Mommie Dearest freak and menaces him about how he has to date with a big beautiful black woman and be a MAN. She smells the gay but is in willing denial..

He didn't come out yet but I think that is this weeks episode.

Wyatt is a manipulative addict who is using Jeffrey's crush to blackmail Jeffrey..  Jeffrey is a dumbass who lies to Wyatt, to Wyatt's girlfriend, and does anything possible to be near the sweat smell of this hunk and have him for himself.  For 14 episodes he thinks Wyatt doesn't even know but its painfully obvious to most characters. 

« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 07:36:23 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline tednlou2

Re: The Ubertrashy Haves and Have Nots
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 01:21:29 am »
I'm usually late to TV shows, although one member here thinks that's all I do is watch TV.  Miss-something.  I just discovered "Felt."  That is hilarious.  I saw it on The Soup.  I was surprised The Soup would not bleep "stick your cum in my ass," but they bleeped something like hard-on.  It was something like that, but I digress. 

Offline mecch

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 05:48:39 am »
The series debut had moderate ratings figures but have risen 50% since. 
http://variety.com/2013/tv/news/owns-haves-and-have-nots-sets-record-with-fall-finale-1200598875/
It has performed especially well for OWN in the net’s target women 25-54 demo, rising week to week with each of its last eight episodes.

The series about the powerful Cryer family and the hired help who work in their Savannah, Ga., mansion returns with its second season in January.

_____
It got horrible reviews from the liberal mainstream media. 
Feminists hated it.  Tyler Perry has long been considered a gay misogynist.  White reviewers who are politically correct hated it.  Some black reviewers analyze Perry's work with the binary:  Comedy or Coonery.

But I guess black women like the series, I wonder if white women are watching too.  And gays, maybe. Somebody is watching....

There was a parallel discussion this summer when a Russell Simmons parody video was posted to YouTube / All Def Digital. 
Called 'Harriet Tubman Sex Tape' it was scandalously politically incorrect, and not particularly funny, rather weird.... Black media pundits objected and Simmons took it down and apologized...   

There were calls to boycott or take down Haves and Have Nots....

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 08:54:09 am »
I have never seen a Tyler Perry movie or TV show. Several older women I work with insist the Medea movies are a hoot but I haven't gotten around to watching one. Based on how you describe this television show I guess I should set my expectation low.

Offline mecch

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 09:34:22 am »
Well its all a matter of taste.  Either its your taste or not.  I'm not sure its fair to say Tyler Perry is bad art or offensive art or "low brow".

The popularity of it alone, means tons of people really enjoy his productions. So he knows how to craft something. 

The Medea movies are funny, but thats IMO.  I have liked some of his drama/comedy specials. Series... not really.

Keep in mind its roots are in "theatre de boulevard."  Middle-brow "broad" comedy and drama...  Used to be big in France.  In the US, there used to be the chitlin circuit but it evolved of course after the end of segregation and some people now call it the Urban Circuit.

Tyler Perry is considered the first mogul of the Urban Circuit.

Offline mecch

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 09:44:38 am »
About the Haves and Have Nots - I think it touches so many topics of the day.  Also it took me time to get used to the outrageously unreal characterizations.  Its all centered on a pathological young woman, playing a sort of evil Horatio Alger, who'll do anything to get ahead.  But its set up that she of all people has useful lessons to give the other characters...   Also centered around her mom but I can't say too much without spoilers.  Her mom is the maid and some of her character verges on referencing Mammy traits and it seems odd in 2013...

But finally Perry seems to be in control of what hes doing and anyway a lot of it is just OWN/Oprah doing a sort of Upstairs Downstairs or low rent Downton Abbey, crossed with Dynasty.  With all the mid-season DRAMATIC monologues thrown in, for what?  Life-affirmation? Lessons? Laughs?  Its weird.

Offline mecch

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 10:02:25 am »
Anyway, just cause I like it, doesn't mean I think its "good". Its more like a fascinating train wreck, perhaps.
Here's the Ebony editorial about how bizarre "Tyler Perry's first gay character is".  So Perry is "black woman" hating and "gay black man" hating

(but he's gay, so is it self-loathing??? etc. etc.  And if he's so black women hating, why are they his core audience?)

http://www.ebony.com/entertainment-culture/opinion-homophobia-the-haves-and-the-have-nots-405#axzz2e1hKeTR4

The mom's "sissy speech" is scathing.  And I can imagine a lot of us, of any race or class, of a certain age, got this speech from a mom or dad, (disclosure: I didn't get that speech!) and we all know unfortunately that young gays and lesbians STILL get this speech, all over the world....

Offline mecch

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 03:02:52 pm »
I guess nobody is watching this but anyway to continue the story. Spoilers. Jeffrey, the young psychologist drug counselor closet case, who works for his rich mother's substance abuse clinic, and is a personal lifestyle shrink of sorts, to the addicted but in recovery hunk Wyatt... The two in the clips above.
Well, Jeffrey's impossible love for Wyatt blew up in this episode. Jeffrey couldn't have Wyatt and couldnt accept that fact, so sabotaged Wyatt relationship with his girlfriend, using substance recovery mumbo jumbo to try to keep wyatt isolated only for himself.  Wyatt and the girlfriend, dumbos, take forever to figure this out but they do, and Wyatt hatches a plan to fake being gay to get Jeffrey to come on to him. Jeffrey falls for it and then Wyatt says I'm Going to Tell your Mama, as blackmail for maybe a longer leash or drugs or whatever.... Wyatt panics and whacks Jeffrey with a golf club. Cut to other characters. When we come back Wyatt isn't dead, just more pissed, and attacks Jeffrey and storms out of the room to take Jeffrey's car. Jeffrey realises his gig is up an then a few scenes later we have the coming out scene in this father's office (whos a judge? districk attorney?? anyway a rich successful guy) and mom shows up, and she FORBIDS Jeffrey to come out when she sees hes going to do it.  Jeffrey's dad, who is a VERY crooked dirty pretentious character, nevertheless is the cool parent and tries to say its fine.
So then we get one of these Have and Have not super dramatic monologues from the mother.. Its absolutely HORRIFIC.  My ears are still melting...  What the character says is so hideous and hateful, and from an educated person, and his mother.  Also the monologue is a wonder of heavy handed politically incorrect cliches and twisted mommie guilting... In the middle she's running out of shit to dump on him and then confessed to her first abortion and then I think a still born or something. And she says she figured God was punishing her for the abortion.  And then she had the son (who is now an adult and coming out) and she thought God forgave her, but no, if he's gay, GOD IS STILL PUNISHING her for the abortion, because he gave her a HO--MO---SEXUAL SON, (it takes her about 10 seconds to spit the word out) which seems to be the antichrist in her book. She completely disowns him. 

Meanwhile the poor actor Jeffrey has to crumble and disintegrate over interminable minutes of melodramatic monolgue, full of "mommy hates" you to boot.

Meanwhile, dad, just stands there mute, which seems completely unrealistic. But thats the logic of the show.  There have to be minutes devoted to the dramatic monologue so Mama goes on and on and on... 

Finally Jeffrey screams at her that she's shelfish.  So I guess in the winter season, Jeffrey will get some of his dignity back....

« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 03:07:23 pm by mecch »

Offline intaglio

• Doesn't have to pay for vowels
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 08:41:53 pm »
the young psychologist drug counselor closet case, who works for his rich mother's substance abuse clinic

Years ago, I worked with a woman who promoted drug abstinence, but not in the Dare-OMG drug are bad way. She felt if people knew of all the ways life itself could give you a high just by living it, people wouldn't turn to drugs. She held a paid position with the university to promote this viewpoint to students.

The sad part of it was, her son was the biggest dealer on that campus.

I worked in restaurants and at a country club in my early years. The lives of those around me always made soap opera story plots appear very tame in comparison.
Reality is frequently inaccurate.

Offline mecch

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 02:40:27 pm »
Lots of people live messy complicated lives when you take off the rose tinted sunglasses.   8)

The moms hateful speech was shocking because I haven't seen it dramatized on TV like this in years.  One half of me prays this is the exception to the rule, in real life.  I lot of people have credited positive portrayals of gays and lesbians in mainstream media as having helped the Gay Rights agenda move faster in recent years, in the USA....  So most characters on TV are positive portrayals living in politically correct and supportive story lines and characters....

But the other half of me knows all over the world LGBTQ sons and daughters suffer hideous family oppression...

SO I guess Tyler Perry is just putting it all out there to spark some thinking and reactions by his audience...

Offline intaglio

• Doesn't have to pay for vowels
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 07:36:04 am »
Mama's rant about her son being god's punishment sounds so cliché and yet is so authentically "religious southern black woman" mindset.

There are still many kids raised in conservative religious families that get disowned when they come out. Their parents choose their religion over love. Sad.

I've been told Tyler Perry's Madea stuff contains heavy-handed monologues like one would expect during a Sunday sermon at a black church. Tyler Perry parrots what black women hear when they attend their Sunday meetings.

He knows his audience.

FWIW, the rumor is Tyler Perry is gay, but self-hating because he can't reconcile being gay with being a black man. His work supposedly reflects his inner conflict. I don't know since I haven't done an in-depth analysis (I really don't want to have to sit through a bunch of Madea movies to do so).

Another opinion I've seen put forth is that if he is outed or comes out, he stands to alienate his audience -and destroy his revenue stream. So he stays in the closet to protect his ability to earn income. Maybe he should explore that theme on his soap opera.
Reality is frequently inaccurate.

Offline mikeyb39

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 08:46:36 am »
I was skeptical about the show, but one day last week I was not feeling well and laying in bed watching the marathon on OWN.  I got sucked into it, I like the show. I like john Schneider, always had a little man crush on him since the 'dukes of hazzard'.  lol
11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 10:56:09 am »
I have never seen a Tyler Perry movie or TV show. Several older women I work with insist the Medea movies are a hoot but I haven't gotten around to watching one. Based on how you describe this television show I guess I should set my expectation low.

Do yourself a favor and don't.  It's basically buffoonery and it lampoons black stereotypes in the most ridiculous ways possible.  This is supposed to be acceptable because it's coming from a black man's mouth, but I just don't care for it.  It's the lowest of low brow.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.