Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:09:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 371
Total: 371

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: what do you think of this headline? "Hunted Czech HIV fugitive caught in Phuket"  (Read 4113 times)

Offline terrymoore

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1181765/hunted-czech-hiv-fugitive-caught-in-phuket
Was it right to post this? I guess on one hand it is important to catch someone who is purposely trying to infect others, and even more important to get a pedophile criminal off the streets.
On the other hand, it is horrible for our "fight" against the stigma that goes with being HIV+.
I am wondering what you guys think.
(note: i am not sure if this is the right place to post this)

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Sadly shitty but factual if the story is true.

EDIT

If I had been a writer I would have gone for: - International Manhunt for suspected child molesting sex offender comes to an end.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 11:26:34 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline harleymc

I don't want to comment on a particular case, the courts are the place to sort that out.

On the more general issue of HIV and criminalization, there are lots of jurisdictions where people are prosecuted for transmitting HIV where no transmission has ever, or was ever likely, to occur.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
Yeah, would not comment on the active court case either, no idea if the reason he's in court is true or not but what is plainly the case and what this headline is about is the fact of his arrest after being on the run following the his international warrant prompted as he skipped out mid trial.

Now the chargers on this case are for other reasons than just being HIV positive, lets not discuss that.

Agree that generally speaking we see too many cases of bad HIV prosecutions that said there are too many bad HIV laws to start with.  I think if you happen to be living in a nation with laws that are unreasonable well until laws are changed, be careful and protect yourself, avoid as much as possible becoming tomorrow headline.

Its something I keep in mind when traveling abroad in relation to HIV and transmission laws.

Jim

« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 11:52:16 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline terrymoore

I just found it strange/sad/interesting that the editors preferred to highlight his HIV status instead of him being a pedophile...
Are people with HIV worse than pedophiles???! [sigh sigh sigh...]
It is too bad that they did not add anything of re value to the article,  like info re HIV infection, treatment etc - something that can actually benefit the public. I guess it does not attract readers.:-(

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
Its just headlines designed to get attention and sell papers, i suppose it also depends on what the charges were brought against the guy in the case as that may also set the tone on the headline.

Now let me be clear if he is convicted and found guilty I will not feel sorry for the guy at all.

Generally speaking though look there are loads of HIV manhunt stories and cases  some complex and others somewhat more straightforward.
This one was in the UK this year:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/edinburgh-mum-begs-hiv-fugitive-9330765 "Scots mum begs 'HIV fugitive' son accused of deliberately infecting male lovers to come home and face charges"

The worst HIV headlines personally remains the ones that claim cures are found  >:( >:( >:( They do loads of damage on so many different levels. 

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
I just found it strange/sad/interesting that the editors preferred to highlight his HIV status instead of him being a pedophile...

;D  I choose other adjectives.   I find it

depressingly predictable (not strange)
angering (not sad)
sloppy, discriminatory, stupid (not interesting)
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline DANIELtakashi

I agree with Jim.
I feel bad, even insulted when the media reports cure.
And here in Japan, ignorant media people still call it AIDS virus.

Plus personally l really don't like the videos of some advocates mainly because they don't sound serious and they talk and act as if they were celebrities.  Maybe it is due to my
cultural background that doesn't encourage us to speak too much.
Japanese National.
Language:  Japanese and English

Offline terrymoore

@mecch - yes you are absolutely right!
@ Jim - agreed, this guy is a douche-bag, and i hope he spends a long time in a cell to contemplate his actions. Believe it or not, the law in Thailand does not prosecute people for infecting others or putting them at risk etc - ironically, they are so behind that they have not yet adopted these backwards laws of some the "advanced" places that put people in jail for such "crimes". he will probably be charged with over-staying his visa, and, if the Czech government`s case is accepted, he will be extradited for his charges there - pedophilia and !

Offline terrymoore

as i was saying....
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1183225/czech-hiv-spreader-faces-deportation
Of course, no mention of his crimes of pedophilia...
as Mecch said...
"depressingly predictable (not strange)
angering (not sad)
sloppy, discriminatory, stupid (not interesting)"!!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.