Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 12:14:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773454
  • Total Topics: 66366
  • Online Today: 291
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 266
Total: 267

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The club I did not want to join  (Read 6643 times)

Offline 90szeitgeist

The club I did not want to join
« on: January 20, 2016, 12:21:08 am »
Yet here I am, a full-fledged member.

I am a 28 year old bisexual from Denmark.

I tested positive a few months back(september), 5 weeks after what I believe to be the primary infection. CD4: 440 VL:16000. I lost 9 kilos in 3 weeks(seroconversion). After 2½ weeks on Stribild, CD4 was at 890 and VL undetectable. I have since regained 5 kilos(hopefully some of it muscle - never stopped going to the gym). As such, I am physically fine. Financially, I still have my great job and treatment is of course 'free' here.

My initial reaction to my status was reading all I could on the disease, treatment etc. Probably too much, to be honest. When I am positive about the future, I accept the situation and however many good years I will have left. When darkness resides in my soul, I fear the coming loneliness and also losing myself to neurocognitive disorders. Sand in the machinery is scary. The fear of somehow being lesser than what I could have been. Then I read what long-term survivors have been through and what people in poor countries are going through and I feel blessed as to when and where I am.

I have lost many things in recent years. My father committed suicide and I lost my 1 year old daughter to heart failure, all within the last 3 years. I think it brought me on a path of self-destruction with a rampant sex drive and drug (ab)use (although never intravenous drugs). I don't blame myself for getting into this situation - que sera sera. Depression and HIV seem to go hand-in-hand.  Whenever it rains, it pours.

I spend a lot of time in the gay community, HIV seems to be more accepted there(and I don't like to have sex without disclosing status - even though it is legal here). Plenty of men show willingness to date me, which feels nice, although it also feels like vultures surrounding the corpse of my heterosexual love life. When I have been undetectable for a year(easier to sell yourself as non-infectious), I will try to go into the straight world again, as I am pretty much heteroromantic and I realize that I'm just avoiding the pain of rejection.

I want to thank all of you. Whenever I feel anxiety, I read some posts here and feel better from all the warmth shown.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 12:27:47 am by 90szeitgeist »

Offline Angel-Ronnie

Re: The club I did not want to join
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 01:02:35 am »
the club is not that bad at all, as long as you adhere to your meds you'll be fine. i don't think any of us here ever thought of joining the club, but we did. it didn't make us less of human finding the support and empowerment on this website.

hiv has no face, no colour, no race it is how we deal with it and how we find peace within ourselves.

it's all about educating yourself and to maintain a healthy lifestyle. we all did it so can you.

sorry to hear about your dx and your losses, welcome to the family.
Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it - Charles Swindoll
2012-04-23 CD4=847 VL=125 CD4%=29
06-02-2013 CD4=990 VL=<20 CD4%=28
05-07-2013 CD4=869 VL=<20 CD4%=30
05-12-2013 CD4=859 VL=262 CD4%=28
03-05-2014 CD4=743 VL=<20 CD4%=28
30-09-2014 CD4=291 VL=33 CD4% =30
24-02-2015 CD4 1065 VL=1814 CD4%=30
22-07-2015 CD4=974 VL=<20 CD4%=32
19-01-2016 CD4=940 VL=<30 CD4%=33
11-07-2016 CD4=646 VL=<30 CD4%=26
11-01-2017 CD4=749 VL=<30 CD4%=29
27-06-2017 CD4=948 VL=<30 CD4%=32
22-12-2017 CD4=824 VL=<30 CD4%=32
09-06-2018 CD4=1036 VL=<40 CD4%=31
12-01-2019 CD4=915 VL=<30 CD4%=31
28-05-2019 CD4=855 VL=<40 CD4%=28
24-06-2021 CD4=927 VL=<20 CD4%=33
04-12-2021 CD4=1240 VL=<20 CD4%=34
25-06-2022 CD4=1408 VL=<40 CD4%=33
04-01-2023 CD4=982 VL=<20 CD4%=31
27-05-2023 CD4=1096 VL=<<40 CD4%=32

Offline JonJon

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 01:16:41 am »
Hello and welcome 90szeitgeist,

Your post was interesting to me.  Although my numbers are much worse than yours  (I am so jealous of those who got to UD so fast!!!!  j/k...well, not really), I feel the same as you when you think about the future.  Most days I am feeling optimistic and that I can move forward thanks in part to a therapist I see regularly.  But at certain points of the day I still get depressed, thinking about what the future holds for me.  I think about my life span being shortened often.  But I know I cannot dwell on this too much.  Anyways, I have found this forum very helpful and read it often.  I think you will find the forum helpful as well.

John
8/19/2015: Rec'd HIV positive result on WB test
10/1/2015: Diagnosed with AIDS, CMV retinitis, and MAC
10/1/2015:  CD4- 20 (1%)/ VL- 101,000
11/17/2015:  CD4- 20(1%)/ VL- 108
12/17/2015: CD4- 30 (2%)/ VL- 33
1/14/2016: CD4- 20 (1%)/ VL- 53
2/18/2016: CD4- 37 (2%)/ VL- 39
3/23/2016: CD4- 43 (2%)/VL- UD/clear of MAC
4/18/2016:  CD4- 54(3%)/ VL- UD
5/20/2016: CD4- 64(3%)/ VL- UD
12/10/2016:CD4- 113, VL- UD
4/15/2017: CD4- 144, VL- UD
7/1/2017: CD4- 166 (9%), VL- UD
12/10/2017: CD4- 228 (12%), VL-UD
7/6/2018: CD4- 281, VL- UD
12/12/2018: CD4- 419, VL- UD
7/6/2019: CD4- 458, VL- UD
7/8/2021: CD4- 414, VL- UD
2/21/2022: CD4- 484, VL- UD
8/22/2022: CD4- 602, VL- UD
3/14/2023: CD4- 608, VL- UD
9/8/2023: CD4- 592, VL- UD
3/14/2024: CD4- 733, VL- UD (on Triumeq since '15)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 08:55:53 am »
I think about my life span being shortened often.  But I know I cannot dwell on this too much.
I'm glad you're choosing to not dwell on that kind of out-dated thinking and incomplete information. For over a decade studies have shown that PLWH on successful treatment will live a "normal" lifespan. There are many Long Term Survivors here proving this! (I've lived with HIV for 31 yrs already myself and am planning for living another 30+ years). There are newer studies that are showing that PLWH with good access to healthcare and who remain on successful treatment live even healthier lives because of the extra health care monitoring we receive compared to people without HIV who rarely see a doctor.

I'm quoting a post of mine from this past summer where we talked about this issue because it contains links to more information
honestly that's 1997 thinking.....For over a decade, studies have been showing that people who get onto successful treatment and remain adherent should plan on living a normal lifespan

http://www.aidsmap.com/Many-patients-diagnosed-with-HIV-today-will-have-normal-life-expectancies-European-studies-find/page/1437877/
http://www.poz.com/articles/hiv_life_exectancy_survival_761_14989.shtml
http://www.medpagetoday.com/HIVAIDS/HIVAIDS/10250

this is just a sample, but really, for over a decade now we have known that if someone gets on meds (from nearly any point - early or late diagnosis) and remains adherent and UD, then their lifespan can be as long as someone who does not have HIV. The only people who die early from HIV these days are mostly people that are diagnosed just way too late OR people who have stopped taking their meds. What I'm trying to tell you is that you sure as heck better be planning on more than 2 years!

....If LTSs (who had less effective meds for a long time and more issues) have to worry about living to 85 then somebody like you sure better be thinking about living to 85. Thinking and hoping about living only 2 yrs is just short-sighted and not scientifically valid. ;D

Your future holds whatever you work towards and your lifespan is not shortened by living with HIV (as long as you stay adherent to your meds, that is ;) ). If you're dwelling on/ thinking often about your lifespan being shortened, then you're wasting emotional and mental energy on a non-problem and you're wasting time that you could have used to work towards whatever it is you want for your future. ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 08:58:39 am »
When I am positive about the future, I accept the situation and however many good years I will have left. When darkness resides in my soul, I fear the coming loneliness and also losing myself to neurocognitive disorders. Sand in the machinery is scary. The fear of somehow being lesser than what I could have been. Then I read what long-term survivors have been through and what people in poor countries are going through and I feel blessed as to when and where I am.
what I wrote to JonJon applies to you too, 90s!

"however many good years you will have left" - how many years until you hit your 80s? That's how many good years you can have - if you work on making them good. ;) HIV doesn't have to make you "lesser than you could have been". Many people have used their diagnosis to change things for the better and end up more than what they would have been. ;)

and don't feel bad for us LTSes. ;) You'll find some of the most positive attitudes amongst us. How do you think we managed to live this long and through some of our experiences? By getting through the bad parts and moving on with the good parts - just like anyone with or without HIV should do. :D
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 01:41:46 pm »

ojo        Hello 90s, welcome to the "club", where, as you mentioned, (poor countries), some of us, are V.I.P. members, because we are getting the best meds and healthcare there is, while our other members have to take what there are offerd, old meds, even AZT,, let's talk about old, (tho, now doctors know the right dose, bc its a good med), and poor health care services, so, as you 90s said, we are blessed to live where we live, its makes a HIV/AIDS dx easier, just a thought

90s and jon jon, it is ok to feel down and depresed after a dx, what we have only two choices, two ways, to take, either get adjusted to our new "NORMAL" and keep moving forward, keep dreaming and obtaining our goals, or play the vicyim ca's card, why me?, so, the sooner you make a decision the better your outcome....you guys talk about the future, who knows what the futures is going to be, did you know you were going to get hiv?, but one thing is for sure, that we the news meds, you will be around for a long time, as long as you take them as ordered...there are long timers like me, leatherman, Jeff, Wade, etc, etc, who are still around even when hiv was a death sentence, so, I just ask you guys, tthat, look forward, there are other who have it worse than us, that we will worry about the future problems, is there are, when they are here, we might be striken by lighting tomorrow, and we are worying about the future, it is your destiny to live with hiv, face it and keep enjoying life, because there is llife afteer a HIV dx, ..my take...best of luck...hugs                ojo

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 04:04:48 pm »
The whole question or even concept of 'lifespan' is interesting.

I have lived an unhealthy lifestyle all my adult life. The wrong food, smoking, no exercise, risky sex, recreational drugs...the lot.

One thing I know my positive diagnosis will provide is motivation to change my lifestyle. Improve diet, quiet smoking, regulate sex and drugs, get regular exercise and so on. Allied to the increased frequency of clinic visits and monitoring of my vital functions, which would hopefully pick anything else up quickly, I have no doubt whatsoever that my 'lifespan' will be significantly greater than would have been had I never tested positive.

And anyway, I have never once compared myself to someone the same age as I am, and thought that because I smoke I have a shorter lifespan...or at least I've never dwelled on it (maybe I should). I've never stood next to a triathlete and thought 'I'm going to die before you'. Said this to my gf tonight and she said that the triathlete is probably taking years off their life by putting so much strain on their body...so there's always different ways to look at it.

Bottom line is...no one knows what their individual  'lifespan' is. Paying attention to diet, exercise and general wellbeing will ensure your time on this planet is maximised, and exactly the same thing is true regardless of whether you are hiv positive or negative.

Sure, people with HIV do have a slightly increased chance of certain cancers, but thats true of my mum who worked in some hideously asbestos-filled offices back in the 70s, or farmers who use weird and wonderful pesticides etc.

But to the original poster....none of us wanted to join this club, but now we are here - it's all about getting the right treatment which means we all live full and rewarding lives. The medications today are also significantly better than years ago and new treatments are being developed all the time. The future is still bright :)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 04:07:00 pm by caveyuk »
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Offline JosephP

• Keep looking FORWARD... Dx'd 8/10/2013...
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 10:03:41 pm »
90szeitgeist, Quite an interesting post! None of us wanted to belong to this club but yet one way or another we are all here to give each other comfort and a ray of hope. Like you, I am a bisexual man and I got it, most likely, from a woman that I didn't know was positive and I believe she did know she was positive. Like you, I jumped into the hiv 'thing' upon dx and I read too much. So much that I was making myself sick!!! Treatment nowdays is way better than what it was, and we owe a debt of gratitude to those LTS who are still with us and to those that have departed. Their sacrifice has made medicines what they are now. I still get upset during the day and remind myself that 'life must go on'.. Keep a good raport with your medical team and adhere to your meds... Life will continue.. Shortened life span? Maybe, maybe not... Having to see the id doctor four times a year and being monitored constantly could actually prevent other illnesses that those HIV- may ignore. In summary, while the reason for the club sucks, the club itself is great!  :)
Today January 20, 2020, I have taken 2378 pills of my ARV since first pill. This means 79 bottles of 30 pills of ARVs at an average of $3950 per bottle or $313,103 USD for my treatment. I have a compliance of 99.83% taking my meds and only .17% (or 4 pills) non-compliant. Of these four pills two I forgot completely, One I lost and one I didn't have with me while traveling! I became UD 3 months after treatment start   ***We are all dealing with this. And we will live long and productive lives!! AND, yes the Lord is my shepherd. Life is good... And thanks for the meds! ***

Offline harleymc

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 08:02:44 am »
There are lots of amazing people in this club. It's sizzling hot!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.