Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 05:10:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773457
  • Total Topics: 66366
  • Online Today: 332
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 304
Total: 304

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Can't recall if missed a dose  (Read 11286 times)

Offline LifeAfterHIVDiagnosis

Can't recall if missed a dose
« on: September 17, 2016, 05:08:31 pm »
Hi, everyone,

I normally take my complera with food between 12-2 pm every day. Today, however, I cannot recall for the love of God if I took the pill. I admit I was busy watching a movie and may have missed the regiment. But, I MAY still have taken it. My worry is now: if I did not take it, should I take it now? Or, what if I have taken it, but cannot remember, should I still take it? I am really concerned. Even though my doctor said missing a dose by a couple of hours is not a big deal, but I am thinking if I miss this dose for a day and take it next time the following day, I may have missed it by 24 hours! How bad is it? In any event, I took a pill, three hours later now. I just hope I will not overdose, in case I did indeed take it, but cannot remember.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Can't recall if missed a dose
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 05:20:24 pm »
Hi

Calm down, you are going to be fine.

If it was me and I was not sure if i had taken the meds, I would have just waited and taken my next planned medication as normal. So I would have risked not taking 1 dose its not the end of the world just don't make it habit.

Same can be said for double dosing. I have done this a few times, again try to learn and avoid it from happening but making this mistake once off is also not going to be the end of the world. 

We have all made a mistakes like this at some stage were only human.

Take it easy

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline LifeAfterHIVDiagnosis

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 05:26:57 pm »
Thank you, Jim!!! :D :D :D

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 05:45:19 pm »
You're welcome
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 06:11:56 pm »

ojo.       Jim is right  do not panic... Get a pill box so you won't forget it ever again... Best of luck... Hugs.                  ojo

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 06:13:25 pm »

ojo.       Jim is right  do not panic... Get a pill box so you won't forget it ever again... Best of luck... Hugs.                  ojo

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 08:09:25 pm »
good adherence is usually defined by >=95%

missing several hours or even a day's dose will have no impact . . .
. . . of course, as long as it's not missing doses multiple times in a row.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 11:29:11 pm »
Start using a pillbox and you will never have to wonder again.  Just look and you'll know!   :)

Mike

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 08:46:05 am »
Start using a pillbox and you will never have to wonder again.  Just look and you'll know!   :)

Mike

Actually, I got completely confused this week even with a pillbox!

I was out and had forgotten to take my pills with me one day, so used the ones in my keychain. The next day, I took the pills from the next 'slot' in the pillbox, but this was from the wrong 'day' so fast forward a couple of days later and I have pills sitting from earlier in the week that haven't been taken and I started panicking until I worked everything out..

The lesson here is - if you use a pillbox but take some from another source, then always remember to decant the pills you didn't take from the pillbox into the 'other source' at the earliest opportunity :)

I honestly think though that without a pillbox, I'd be all over the place. I frequently can't remember if I've taken them (good thing as it shows how easy and benign they are to take) and if I didn't have some form of organiser I would have absolutely no idea.

As others have said though, missing one dose isn't the end of the world at all.
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Offline bocker3

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 10:24:10 am »
Actually, I got completely confused this week even with a pillbox!

I was out and had forgotten to take my pills with me one day, so used the ones in my keychain. The next day, I took the pills from the next 'slot' in the pillbox, but this was from the wrong 'day' so fast forward a couple of days later and I have pills sitting from earlier in the week that haven't been taken and I started panicking until I worked everything out..

The lesson here is - if you use a pillbox but take some from another source, then always remember to decant the pills you didn't take from the pillbox into the 'other source' at the earliest opportunity :)

I honestly think though that without a pillbox, I'd be all over the place. I frequently can't remember if I've taken them (good thing as it shows how easy and benign they are to take) and if I didn't have some form of organiser I would have absolutely no idea.

As others have said though, missing one dose isn't the end of the world at all.

This is why I am not a fan of the keychain FOB.  I like to keep things as simple as possible. For me, when it comes to my pills, this means:

Use a pillbox
Take pills at approx. same time morning and evening (actually tied to an "event" -- breakfast and bedtime)
If I'm out and don't have them - take them when I get home or, if too much time past "normal" dose time, skip.  (By the way, in almost 11 years, I've probably only "skipped" 4-5 doses)

I find some folks get so worried about missing a dose or taking one "late" that they develop complicated mechanisms that just seem (from my POV) to make things more difficult.

Of course -- this works for ME -- what works for others may be quite different.

Mike

Offline terrymoore

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2016, 04:06:21 am »
I also find that an app on the phone can help. I use Medisafe (free). It keeps "nagging" me until i click "take" and then i see it marked as taken.
Build a system and turn it into a habit. Your system should have a validation process (like the empty pillbox or the app).
Good luck!

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2016, 06:15:21 pm »
Well it had to happen sometime. I missed a dose last night.

It was a stupid distraction at pill-time (going to the gym, couldn't locate a fresh towel, hunted around the house but because it was getting late I bolted form the house and went to bed shortly after returning).

Only mid morning today did I remember that I had forgotten to take it.

Lesson learned though. I'm sure 1 dose won't matter, but I sure as hell don't plan on doing that again. The anxiety when realising today isn't something I want to happen regularly!!!
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2016, 10:58:46 pm »

OJO     HELLO DEAR CAVEY, DO NOT BE SO HARSH ON YOU, IT'S JUST A LITTLE MISTAKE, YOU FORGOT YOUR PILL, THAT'S IT...I RECALL WHEN I USED TO TAKE MORE THAN 20 PILLS A DAY, AT NIGHT, IT WAS WHEN I USUALLY FORGOT TO TAKE LIKE EIGHT PILLS, JUST AT NIGHT, AND TRUST ME, THERE WERE BIG PILLS, (AGENERASE) HUGE CAPSULES, AND I USED TO TAKE LIKE SIX, IF I REMEMBER WELL, I WOULD SAY TO MY MOM, HOW IS POSSIBLE TO FORGET TO TAKE SO MANY PILLS, AND I USE A BOX PILL, BUT USUALLY I TAKE THEM RIGHT AFTER MY DINNER AROUND SEVEN, I DON'T GET UP FROM THE TABLE UNTIL I TAKE MY PILLS,, AS THEY WERE MY DESSERT, BUT SOMETIMES, I GET UP TO TAKE MY DOGGIE OUT, AND I FORGET, IT HAS HAPPENED SEVERAL TIMES IN ALMOST 22 YEARS TAKING MEDS, AS A MATTER OF FACT, I FORGOT THEM, (NOW I JUST TAKE FOUR, MORNING AND NIGHT) BUT I DID TAKE MY DOG OUT AND NEST MORNING I SAW MY NIGHT PILLS, I DON'T WORRY BECAUSE I KNOW IT DOESN'T HAPPENE OFTEN...PLEASE RELAX, AND TRY TO USE AN ALARM ON YOUR SELL PHONE, OR SOMETHING, IN MY TIMES, I USED A TABLET, BUT THE KIND OF TABLET WERE THE TEN COMMAMENDAS WERE WRITEN, WITH A HAMMER AND A CHISEL, HAHAAH COMPRENDE...HUGS          OJO

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2016, 01:36:55 pm »
Thanks Tonny. Wise words as always :)
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline paintedroom

• Dx`d July 2016
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2016, 06:33:35 am »
For the last 3 weeks i`ve had a trapped nerve in my neck which means i cant sleep lying down..i have to try sleeping sitting upright.. with predictable results.As a consequence i`ve been yo yoing with my meds between 8 and 10 throughout the 3 weeks.I wonder if this can compromise  effectiveness?

And Merry Christmas to all,love and best wishes for a season not without its stresses.. and a special thanks to the mods here for all their selfless work and no less skill and patience.xo
Dx`d mid July 2016
8/8/2016 - CD4 50     VL 50,000
5/9/2016 -  CD4 150
13/9/2016  VL  undetectable.
March `17 - CD4 193   VL undetectable.
March  `18 CD4 214    VL undetectable
March 2019 CD4 325  VL UD
Genvoya - Changed to Biktarvy feb 2021

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2016, 06:58:00 am »
Hi

It does not need to be down to the exact min adherent.

Few hours each way will not make any difference with Genvoya however for your own "routine" I would recommend trying to keep to near enough the exact time daily.

As always you should check if unsure with the doc, but between 8-10 daily is adherent.

Jim

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/hiv-treatment-adherence
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 07:01:20 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline bocker3

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2016, 07:01:31 am »
For the last 3 weeks i`ve had a trapped nerve in my neck which means i cant sleep lying down..i have to try sleeping sitting upright.. with predictable results.As a consequence i`ve been yo yoing with my meds between 8 and 10 throughout the 3 weeks.I wonder if this can compromise  effectiveness?

And Merry Christmas to all,love and best wishes for a season not without its stresses.. and a special thanks to the mods here for all their selfless work and no less skill and patience.xo

I've been taking my meds between 8 and 12 for 10+ years now, with not a single blip.  I'd say you've got nothing to worry about here.  Meds today have quite a bit of "flexibility" built into them, so a few hours difference in dosing isn't going to be of concern.
Now go stand in the corner and get some sleep.   ;)  Just kidding, I hope your pinched nerve gets better quickly!!!
Mike

Mike

Offline bigsur123

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2016, 10:50:04 pm »
I had to learn to write the date I first started the bottom on the bottle so I could count backwards. I keep mixing up too..I think I double dosed a few times by accident before I started this.

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2016, 07:47:18 pm »
Get a pill box with sunday to saturday.  I have one that has AM and PM and I use all the AM once week and all the PM the next week.   That way I always know if I took the meds and I always fill it every other Wednesday.  I love this pill container, it fits more than 6 pills per day. 
Pray God you can cope
I know you have a little life in you yet.
I know you have a lot of strength left.

Offline BKKKevin

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2016, 09:30:46 pm »
I have a pocket pill box that holds 7 pills that I refill every Sunday...
inside I put a sticker like this:

M - 6
T - 5
W - 4
R - 3
F - 2
S - 1
S - 0

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.